• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Thoughts on Mods in Smash 4

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
My Thoughts on Mods in Smash 4

By Benjamin Tillman

Hello to all of my fellow smashers! I am here today to discuss a rather… delicate topic amongst the Super Smash Bros. fandom: mods! Mods are nothing new to the community, not by a longshot (or should I say, hookshot! *bud um tss*) They have been in, as far as I can tell, since Melee! We have got tons and tons of fan games from them. Super Smash Flash, Super Smash Flash 2, PM, Brawl Minus, Brawl plus, etc. and that’s just to name a few! So, what, you ask, am I here to discuss with you today? Well, that’d be mods for the newest entry in the series, Super Smash Bros. 4!

First of all, let me get this out of the way, mods in smash 4 are a disgrace to the series and really the community itself! Now, before you comment all angrily, let me explain! The first thing to pop to your head was probably something like, “Well, how could skins be bad at all?” I will answer that in due time. Sit back, relax, and simply read and hear what I have to say before you comment ANYTHING! Please?

So, let’s hop right in with my first point, simply applying mods. Now, applying mods, from what I can tell, isn’t a very hard process. Especially not when there are about 15 million tutorials for it anyways. But let me illustrate for you the process. First you must have an SD card. Now, they aren’t too expensive, but if you don’t have the extra cash laying around, then you can already forget about getting mods! But let’s say you do have one, then you can go on to create a dump of the game. This is a process that takes QUITE some time form what I have seen. At this point, you are, or at least I know I would be, questioning why I’m even doing this. For a bunch of pointless mods? Really? Anyways, then you have to go out and find mods that you may want to use. Not that bad, sure, but guess what, some people in this world aren’t… nice! Who KNOWS when people will decide to start adding viruses to the files you have to download for your “precious” mods! Now, let’s say you (for some reason) sat through all that, found a few mods you want, and now you’re ready to use them! You got 20 Falcon skins, 10 Shulk skins, replaced all English voices with their Japanese counterparts because you were too lazy and/or too broke to afford a Japanese Wii U and version of the game, and now you want to test them out! Jump into For Glory, why don’t ya?

I’ll tell you why sir! By jumping onto For Glory, you are being about as much of an ahole as a Diddy main (#NoHateToDiddyMains!) Now, this one is more from personal experience, but you can literally crash someone’s Wii U, yeah, not just their game, their entire Wii U, by simply having a modded Wii U! Let me tell you this story of mine. One day I went on For Glory to play some good ‘ol Smash. I was playing my new secondary, Olimar, and I had lost against a pretty good Dr. Mario. Nothing much, just a bit salt induced. But hey, who doesn’t get salty every now and then, right? Well, the match ended, but guess what? The guy was using mods and it literally crashed my Wii U! Isn’t that fun? Thank you, I wanted my Wi U to crash! But that’s not the only instance of hardware difficulty with this game, oh no!

By this point, we all know that the Wii U isn’t the sturdiest console in terms of internal hardware, and that only amplifies with mods! I have a friend who installed stage mods (which is a whole topic on its own! We’ll get there.) Well, we decided to do some casual smash, ya know, throw on some items and pick a non-omega/not tourney legal stage. So I decided to pick the amazing stage of Orbital Gate Assault! And by “great” I mean as great as the last 10 buffs Jigglypuff got! Ya know, the… uh… buffs…. That she… uh… got! Ya! Well, it was extremely laggy, which I didn’t mind all that much, for usually it fixes itself after a bit, but I noticed it wasn’t letting up. Hm... Do you see where this is going? Yup! It was his mods! Not only that, but we then decided to go back to competitive and go to either Smashville or Town and City (fairly sure it was T&C though) and he couldn’t even play there either! And all the mods were just simply reskins! Oh hey, that reminds me, skins!

Oh yes, how could I forget, skins. You have probably been wondering all this time about skins. After all, those don’t hurt online play, they don’t cause lag, and they’re just little visual pleasers, right? Well, sort of. Now, this is the main thing that REALLY irks me about mods. Look at this from a game designer’s standpoint. Now, I’m no game designer, but this is fairly understandable, or so I would think, anyways. Now, you are a small game designer. You did all of the work yourself and from scratch. Visuals, coding, AI, everything! Your game blows up in popularity. Kinda like Mewtwo when he got his buffs, Teehee. You start browsing forums and whatnot about your game, and you find some interesting things. You find that someone has made a fan game for you! It uses the same premise as your game, but with little messages to you and just little things like that. How sweet! You go back to the forums and find that people have added in skin swaps for your game’s main character and some other characters. Okay, cool. Then, after about a month, you notice something strange. In short, everyone is playing with modded skins! There are few people playing the game with the models and textures you spent HOURS of your spare time working on. Well that’s not cool! And then you realize that some of the main areas in the game, people have made them look completely different! What!? I can hear you now, “Sakurai isn’t a small game designer!”, “Sakurai didn’t design everything by hand himself!” and, “Why would he care about a few simple texture swaps?” Well, let me answer all of those! No, he isn’t a small game designer, but the point was that it was someone who is very passionate about their game. Can you think of anyone more passionate about game design then Sakurai? I sure as hell can’t! And he probably takes more pride in Smash 4 since that was the last game he got to design with Iwata. No, he didn’t design it all by hand himself. But it is still his game and he had it made the way he envisioned it. If he wanted Gaur Plains to be in the background of Smahsville, he would have made it like that! And last, but not least, why would he care about some texture swaps? Well, it’s as I said. He made it the way he envisioned it! And have you forgotten about his arm injury he was dealing with while making the game? Yeah, it was literally painful for him to design Smash 4. He put his blood, time, sweat, and tears into this game to make it play and look the way he has made it for us. He even traded family time for the development of the game! He has a wife, remember? Are you really going to throw that back in his face?

I just wanted to say all this to make you guys really think about the way mods have been growing in Smash 4. I know that a lot of people won’t see this. Heck, I don’t expect this to draw any attention at all! But to anyone who did read this, at least think about it, please? Yes, a lot of this was plain bias, I understand, but I really want to raise awareness of this. If you have mods, you do you, and I know that I am surely overthinking this, but what can I say? I’m passionate about Smash 4! It’s the first game in the series that I got into competitive with, after all. I just want to preserve the game and keep its life span long is all. Is anyone with me?

D

Deleted member

I have no moral obligations towards Sakurai or any other person who developed the game. They did their part by creating a product, and I did my part as a consumer by purchasing it. Just like any other product I may buy, once the item is in my posession, I can alter it as much or as little as I want for my own personal use. As long as the people doing the modding aren't making a profit, it really isn't any of your concern.

Competitive Smash 4 isn't in danger of dying due to mods. Smash 4 tournaments don't use modded games. The only thing that would endanger Smash 4 is a future official Smash game.

Last edited by a moderator:

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
I have no moral obligations towards Sakurai or any other person who developed the game. They did their part by creating a product, and I did my part as a consumer by purchasing it. Just like any other product I may buy, once the item is in my posession, I can alter it as much or as little as I want for my own personal use. As long as the people doing the modding aren't making a profit, it really isn't any of your concern.

Competitive Smash 4 isn't in danger of dying due to mods. Smash 4 tournaments don't use modded games. The only thing that would endanger Smash 4 is a future official Smash game.
I see your point. But in that case you're basically saying that Sakurai couldn't care less about what happens to Smash 4, as long as he gets his money. That's not the case though. Though yes, I see your point. And yes, I never said or thought mods were making the game dye or anything, so I guess it's not all that bad. I really do wonder what Sakurai's thoguht on mods would be though. Or really any other game designer. Hm...

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Didn't you frequent the P:M boards? Why are you complaining about mods. Wait, scratch that you didn't.

But let’s say you do have one, then you can go on to create a dump of the game.
Not a requirement to load mods.

Who KNOWS when people will decide to start adding viruses to the files you have to download for your “precious” mods!
I can't wait to start embedding Trojans into an archaic file type and repackaging my .zip files into .exe keyloggers. Surely they'll never know!
Jump into For Glory, why don’t ya?
who jumps into fg to test mods

Now, this one is more from personal experience, but you can literally crash someone’s Wii U
Only when loading obvious broken **** like unused stages and memes.

Well, it was extremely laggy,
Oh man what a shocker the most hardware intensive stage when loaded with entry levels hacks wouldn't play to the best ability; darn those hackers

Sakurai doesn't give a **** if a minority of the playerbase is enjoying the game how they want. Brawl modding didn't hurt his feelings, smash 4 modding won't either.

Oh btw you forgot that to even load mods you need additional hardware access or internet. Modding isn't going to publicly catch on and destroy sakurai's legacy just because you think so.

Last edited:

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Didn't you frequent the P:M boards? Why are you complaining about mods. Wait, scratch that you didn't.

Not a requirement to load mods.

I can't wait to start embedding Trojans into an archaic file type and repackaging my .zip files into .exe keyloggers. Surely they'll never know!

who jumps into fg to test mods

Only when loading obvious broken **** like unused stages and memes.

Oh man what a shocker the most hardware intensive stage when loaded with entry levels hacks wouldn't play to the best ability; darn those hackers

Sakurai doesn't give a **** if a minority of the playerbase is enjoying the game how they want. Brawl modding didn't hurt his feelings, smash 4 modding won't either.

Oh btw you forgot that to even load mods you need additional hardware access or internet. Modding isn't going to publicly catch on and destroy sakurai's legacy just because you think so.
Okay I can see what you mean. I guess it may just be personal bias. Eh. Oh well.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Firstly, I've never installed any mods or have attempted to; however I do like the thought of them.

I've watched some modded Smash U & Project M videos and I honestly like how creative some people can get (although some of them get a little TOO creative to the point some mods are just down right ridiculous). I honestly kinda envy people who have the ability to make mods because it seems kind of fun to me. In short, I don't really see anything so bad about mods at all personally...

They're just kinda neat.

Next, it's honestly up to the person whether or not to download mods. They know the risks when it comes to getting strange files off the internet as does everyone else. If they want to risk getting a virus then oh well. I don't see why that'd matter much to you honestly.

It'd be their own fault.

Same goes for the "Quite some time" to get mods. Again, it's their choice if they want to take a long while getting something you deem "Useless". What is useless to you may not be useless to someone else. Maybe some of them will consider it well worth it if they manage to get a mod that changes Bowser's or Fox's voice. Using mods would only be game breaking if they used them to cheat.

You also can't stop people from using mods anyways, just like how we can't stop people from taunting, teabagging, or insulting online.

You also can't stop people from doing what they want to something they purchased. I could get an extra copy of Smash U right now and stick it in the oven because I dunno, I wanted to literally burn away $60? I'm sure a lot of them aren't even trying to insult Sakurai or his work. Again, mods are just neat little extras nobody is forcing onto each other. Mods will exist and will continue to exist

There's really not much you can do to stop it anyways. Just let people be people and let them do their own thing.

Last edited:

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Firstly, I've never installed any mods or have attempted to; however I do like the thought of them.

I've watched some modded Smash U & Project M videos and I honestly like how creative some people can get (although some of them get a little TOO creative to the point some mods are just down right ridiculous). I honestly kinda envy people who have the ability to make mods because it seems kind of fun to me. In short, I don't really see anything so bad about mods at all personally...

They're just kinda neat.

Next, it's honestly up to the person whether or not to download mods. They know the risks when it comes to getting strange files off the internet as does everyone else. If they want to risk getting a virus then oh well. I don't see why that'd matter much to you honestly.

It'd be their own fault.

Same goes for the "Quite some time" to get mods. Again, it's their choice if they want to take a long while getting something you deem "Useless". What is useless to you may not be useless to someone else. Maybe some of them will consider it well worth it if they manage to get a mod that changes Bowser's or Fox's voice. Using mods would only be game breaking if they used them to cheat.

You also can't stop people from using mods anyways, just like how we can't stop people from taunting, teabagging, or insulting online.

You also can't stop people from doing what they want to something they purchased. I could get an extra copy of Smash U right now and stick it in the oven because I dunno, I wanted to literally burn away $60? I'm sure a lot of them aren't even trying to insult Sakurai or his work. Again, mods are just neat little extras nobody is forcing onto each other. Mods will exist and will continue to exist

There's really not much you can do to stop it anyways. Just let people be people and let them do their own thing.
Yeah, making mods seems pretty fun. And yeah, they get way too creative. As I said, the whole Gaur Plains as the background to smash ville thing is just... odd to me. It makes me feel uncomfortable to be honest. So, I guess they aren't all that bad, but I just get this really horrible feeling from seeing them usually. I can't really explain it. Eh, I can't stop it though.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Yeah, making mods seems pretty fun. And yeah, they get way too creative. As I said, the whole Gaur Plains as the background to smash ville thing is just... odd to me. It makes me feel uncomfortable to be honest. So, I guess they aren't all that bad, but I just get this really horrible feeling from seeing them usually. I can't really explain it. Eh, I can't stop it though.
I don't think it's wrong to feel odd about something you're not used to, or that seems strange.

Again I've watched a few Smash U Modding vids and saw things such as Dr. Mario's pills actually being Blue Shells, or Villagers slingshot bullets, timber log, and more being Blue Shells. THAT is what I found odd and didn't like. It felt like people were just getting carried away with the modding. Its just natural. I've seen some REALLY bad Project M mods (at least in my opinion) that made me very uncomfortable.

Usually it was the Final Smash mods, because again, people can get far too carried away with it sometimes.

But it's just something fun, or maybe they intended it to just be silly or goofy, or maybe OP. It's not like I'm being forced to use it myself.

Last edited:

zpxociv

Smash Apprentice
Mods exist because some of us don't enjoy mindlessly eating out of someone's hand. We have our own preferences that do not agree with the lowest-common-denominator that the devs were aiming for.

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's wrong to feel odd about something you're not used to, or that seems strange.

Again I've watched a few Smash U Modding vids and saw things such as Dr. Mario's pills actually being Blue Shells, or Villagers slingshot bullets, timber log, and more being Blue Shells. THAT is what I found odd and didn't like. It felt like people were just getting carried away with the modding. Its just natural. I've seen some REALLY bad Project M mods (at least in my opinion) that made me very uncomfortable.

Usually it was the Final Smash mods, because again, people can get far too carried away with it sometimes.

But it's just something fun, or maybe they intended it to just be silly or goofy, or maybe OP. It's not like I'm being forced to use it myself.
Oh okay so I'm not the only one! (and yeah those FS mods can get pretty.... weird!) And yeah I guess I just kinda took it all the wrong way. I mean some background swaps or character skins look pretty cool. (though when it comes to skins I often get confused by them! xD) so I mean it's not like they're all bad, but I dunno, it's just that Smash 4 kinda holds a special place in my heart. It was the first Smash game where I got into competitive. Heck, I didn't even know that there WAS a competitive scene to the game before Smash 4! So I guess the visuals and the way it plays is just... special to me, ya know? And with mods changing up moves and their KB, KBG, etc., it kinda ticks me off for I'm trying to learn frame data and all as it is. So, in a way, it's like I just want people to take the game more seriously then messing around. But I mean, as long as I don't see it on my screen, I can be content with it. I just wish all of my friend's Wii Us weren't modded. Not for online play but for when I go to their houses and all. Lol!

OshaHott

Smash Cadet
Mods exist because some of us don't enjoy mindlessly eating out of someone's hand. We have our own preferences that do not agree with the lowest-common-denominator that the devs were aiming for.
If I may ask, what do you mean by "lowest-commom-denominator?" If, and emphasis on "if", you mean that the devs didn't try with the graphics and such, then you'd be sorrowly mistaken. Though, if that's not what you meant, please do explain. (It's like 5 AM and I'm very sleep deprived so I most likely read that entirely wrong!)

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Every or almost every character should have had "official" alt costumes to begin with, they did a good job with the last batch of DLC regarding alts, but most characters should have gotten this treatment.

Last edited:

MajinBuu272

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KidBuu9000
Switch FC
SW-5273-4956-4209
i feel like mods are fine as long as they dont change the gameplay, such as model swaps/imports, alternate stage designs, music ect.

like making wario look like Mr.Krabs is fine but making it so (instert character here) gets witch time by taunting isnt

unless you are playing for fun, then give me that witch time ganon

Last edited:

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
I will be short: is it posible to mod the 3ds version to make the D-pad useful for walking and activating tilts and specials? Because, as I think you all know, the Circle Pad sucks, and after loosing for the 100th time because the circle pad considers a 80 grade input a side special instead an up special, I don't think I care about it being legal or not anymore. Couldn't Sakurai made the damn taunts to activate with Select+direction instead?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I will be short: is it posible to mod the 3ds version to make the D-pad useful for walking and activating tilts and specials? Because, as I think you all know, the Circle Pad sucks, and after loosing for the 100th time because the circle pad considers a 80 grade input a side special instead an up special, I don't think I care about it being legal or not anymore. Couldn't Sakurai made the damn taunts to activate with Select+direction instead?
I don't see why not.....
But that will probably be a while (in terms of accessibility) considering the current pace of Smash 3DS mods....

It is pretty odd how limited the control options for the 3DS version are though.

Last edited:

Thehatergator

Smash Rookie

amen

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings

They're just kinda neat.

It'd be their own fault.

I don't know about the rest of y'all but I won't be doing any modding. I shan't risk bricking my console. I've had my Wii U for 3 months now and I hope to still have it when I am in my 50s.

That said, I'll admit mods make the game look much better (eg. Battlefield with Peach's Castle [N64] background would be pretty sweet).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Making mods for Smash Wii U has enabled me to fix up some of the stuff that I felt was wrong with the fighter attributes. While not everyone was touched, there were some things that I just had to tweak, and this especially included some of Palutena's attacks.

Of course, you probably don't want to be going online while using your mods, and if you're not careful, you could end up unlocking stuff that you can't legally have without purchasing the proper DLC at the Nintendo eShop.

Other than that, it also gave me a chance to set up some texture hacks. This is especially true for Mario and Luigi, where I'll never really understand why the Flying and Ice power-ups got the cold shoulder.

I also gave Bowser Jr. his own set of recolors, making it possible to do an 8-player match that contains 8 Bowser Jr.s, instead of only one Bowser Jr. and seven Koopalings. Of course, you could still keep the Koopalings, just so that you'll have the option of using either a Bowser Jr. recolor, or a specific Koopaling.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I can't tell if this is a troll thread or if the original poster is a bit misinformed about mods and the modding community.
I guess this thread can stay open as the original poster put some thought and time into typing their wall of text, and this thread can help inform others of mods.
SO, rather than simply lock this thread, I shall counter with MY OWN wall of text!

Personally I've made every kind of mod that can be made for smash4 currently. Texture edits, vertex edits, model swaps, music swaps, text editing, just to name a few. In making the mods I made many mistakes, and my game crashed multiple times.

There is a difference between a game crashing and a console bricking. When a game crashes, there is no harm done to the console or the game. A console will brick if you delete important files from the operating system, like the boot files, or other files needed to start the console and run its functions. Every smash4 mod is read from an external sd card, the game is telling the console to look for a file in the sd card, if that file is not put together properly, the game will end abruptly (crash). When this happens you'll have to turn off the console by holding the power button down, as opposed to the normal shut down by pressing the power button once. No harm is done to the sd card, the game disc, or the console.

As for the possibilty of people sneaking viruses into the mod files, I suppose that could be a possibility. Although I am not sure if many websites allow you to upload exe files as a precaution. Make sure that any mods you download have the correct file extension associated with the mod. nus3 for sound, nut for texture, nud for models. If you find an exe file delete it immediately as that very well could be a virus. If a user was found to have uploaded a virus, they would be banned from the community, if the website even let them upload an exe file. Just read the comments before downloading the mod to see if other users found it in working condition.

Some mods are very large in file size and can cause the game to lag, also if you have a faulty or slow sd card, the mods will be loaded much slower. I bought a hyper fast sd card just for modding purposes.
The modding community does not support mods that unlock stages or other dlc content and could bypass the payment.

One cannot cheat online with mods, as the users games will desync and the users will disconnect from eachother.
Basically, if I have a mod that increases my characters damage output/knockback, and I hit my opponent, my opponent's character will be in a different position on my screen and their screen. As the two consoles send data between eachother they will notice that they have their characters positioned in different spots, and the two consoles will desync, ending the match. Mods that alter hitboxes/damage output will cause users to desync. Textures, music, and other cosmetic mods will have no effect on a non-modder and only the modder will see the mods.

Many non-modders become frustrated because they cannot figure out how to set mods up, or don't/won't put in the time/effort to figure it out themselves. Non tech-savvy users fear that their console will become unusable if they mod a game. Using certain gameplay-altering mods online will probably get you banned from a game, so if you're worried/unsure, just stay offline.

Some non-modders have a dislike of modders for creating their own smash community, as was the case with ProjectM. After putting time and effort into mastering brawl,melee,smash4 (or 64 even?), many were frustrated that some in the smash community were trying to create a new competitive standard, and that it was succeeding. It all comes down to how inaccessible mods are, and the frustration of not being able to easily access something. I am fortunate enough to live in an area with monthly project m tournaments, smash4 and melee tournaments, with all systems using some mod or another (20xx in melee and textures in smash4) to keep things interesting/more competitive. My first smash game was on the 64, and I've played Brawl more than any other smash game. Within my community people respect the defensive playstyle of Brawl, with many agreeing that it is funner to play but many consent that it is a bit boring to watch compared to other entries in the series. I began modding with brawl and now focus on modding smash4.

In the real world, people are able to settle these things in their small community, with little friction. Those that create a fuss or try to force their viewpoint are normally shunned by the community. For instance, there is a local tournament organizer in my area who insists that all tourney goers user his custom mod pack, or they can't play. Obviously we give him #$%# for it relentlessly, until he conceded that it was alright to play without mods, or with our own if we choose. I bring my own personal modpack to tournaments and if someone is interested they can load it up on their console. I make sure that textures added don't replace existing skins, and have added mods that are of interest to the competitive community, my mods set the default game mode to 3 stock, 8 minutes, team-attack on, and legal stages are all on the first page. I made this modpack to respect both modders and non-modders at tournaments, by only adding cosmetic additions and setting the rules to tourney rules. I also have a modpack full of wacky stuff for personal use with friends.

So, TLDR, learn about and consider someone elses viewpoint, get out in the real world and meet real non close-minded people, and most importantly, HAVE FUN PLAYING SMASH!

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I'm glad there's at least one place I can discuss mods freely. GameFAQs and Miiverse don't seem to like it, lol

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm glad there's at least one place I can discuss mods freely. GameFAQs and Miiverse don't seem to like it, lol
Miiverse moderation doesn't approve of "hacks". GameFAQs seems to have a similar ruleset.

Miiverse is also an official Nintendo website and they can't endorse hacks in any way.

Note that Mods in this case are a "type" of hacking for the purposes of their rules.

GameFAQs are just strange. And I'm a member there, mostly in the Quest 64 forums.

As for Mods, I love 'em. I love having fun and such. But regardless of whether it's a change to textures or an actual cheat(I.E. Infinite lives), the most important part is that whoever you play with besides yourself has no issue with it. I remember playing Giga Bowser via Action Replay in Melee. We agreed to do this. I still barely won, but it also wasn't too fair of a fight overall. Not against Link, anyway. Better range, immune to throws, immense size, and on Temple, where I have more room to hit and he has stuff blocking his projectiles while I have infinite fire breath? Yeah.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I really, really, REALLY doubt Mr. Sakurai's going to be upset that people mod his games, isn't that a good thing, to have your game be so beloved that people actually take the time to learn how it works from the inside and try to add things to it? Nobody would mod Smash 4 if nobody liked it lol.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
When I posted a link to the Daisy mod by KTH on GameFAQs, I got modded for "illegal activities" lol. I was like whatever. So what I do is I save screenshots to my Miiverse album but don't post them. Then I can post them elsewhere...

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69j0P1bAFy5KILH

Like that, pretty much. Facebook doesn't seem to be bothered by my screenshots either.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When I posted a link to the Daisy mod by KTH on GameFAQs, I got modded for "illegal activities" lol. I was like whatever. So what I do is I save screenshots to my Miiverse album but don't post them. Then I can post them elsewhere...

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69j0P1bAFy5KILH

Like that, pretty much. Facebook doesn't seem to be bothered by my screenshots either.
Some places in the world actually do consider modding of a game illegal unless the owner of said games says otherwise. It's a very muddy thing. Thus, they would rather take the precaution of deeming it illegal than face legal repercussion from Nintendo. It's a safety thing. Plus, there's stuff like, as noted, Facebook or Imgur to save date.

Also, GameFAQs often doesn't allow advertising of any kind, not your own work either. They can be a bit stuffy at times, but that's how their policies are. They want their discussion specifically there, not on other websites. Can't say I agree with everything they do, but it's still their website and they have a right to those policies since they made it. I'm more worried about how bad the forum can be over a few policies that have decent justification behind them.

Top Bottom