• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My thoughts on Evo2k8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vayseth

Smash Master
It seems like they are ONLY responding to janitor and no one else, which is disappointing =(

I don't think it is literally impossible for one player to get a smash ball over an other, but I'm almost 100% sure that characters like Sonic or Sheik who are very fast and have GREAT final smashes to end up being really broken with items play. Mainly because they don't have a lot of killing maneuvers and having items makes their sick racking damage abilities to be coupled with multiple easy kill methods. It makes them silly.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
It seems like they are ONLY responding to janitor and no one else, which is disappointing =(

I don't think it is literally impossible for one player to get a smash ball over an other, but I'm almost 100% sure that characters like Sonic or Sheik who are very fast and have GREAT final smashes to end up being really broken with items play. Mainly because they don't have a lot of killing maneuvers and having items makes their sick racking damage abilities to be coupled with multiple easy kill methods. It makes them silly.
You'd think if Sonic was that dominant we'd see one in the final eight. Fact is, I don't think Sonic's nearly as good at getting smash balls as other characters pretty much because he doesn't have a projectile. Plus, he's actually going to have to fight while he waits for the smash ball, can Sonic be a good defensive player? I don't know.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
I find it interesting that there was no Evo response to Overswarm's and my posts.

The simple fact is that Evo blew their chance to gain the permanent support of the community. Now, they will have to work for it twice as hard, if indeed it is even redeemable. The merits of item play are irrelevant at this point.

In the end, they got the tournament they wanted, and traded away their prestige in the eyes of the people who respected them the most to get it. They will pay the price for this through natural consequences. There was no boycott of Evo this year. People just didn't care to go. This will now follow them from year to year no matter their rules.

After that, arguing with people on the internet is dumb.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
I don't think you're taking them seriously enough.
If you are so outraged that we tried something different this year that you're not interested in discussing future possibilities, please just tell me and I'll go away. This is my third appeal to everyone on this thread to please put the past behind us. No one is going to convince anyone else that items/no-items is the way to go.

That being said, I'd like to talk about 2009. If Evo throws a Smash tournament in 2009, it will be something much more like what you're accustomed to (no-item, 3-stock, 7-minute, etc.). I'm looking for feedback on whether or not that's interesting to you.

One reason you may not be interested is because there is such a thing as "too many tournaments". For example, if Melee-FC is holding another big tournament around Fall of '09, you may not want us to throw one to compete with that. I'm basically looking to get educated about your scene and get any feedback about future events (nothing about '08 please. I know how you think that went). Thanks.

Vayseth

Smash Master
You'd think if Sonic was that dominant we'd see one in the final eight. Fact is, I don't think Sonic's nearly as good at getting smash balls as other characters pretty much because he doesn't have a projectile. Plus, he's actually going to have to fight while he waits for the smash ball, can Sonic be a good defensive player? I don't know.
I was predicting where the meta game would go. I have no proof and I'm much more of a Pit man when it comes to items. But anyway...

I think Sonic and Sheik are super fast and have moves that can stun the opponent long enough to get them (Sonic's down throw for example). Sheik's FS is a one hit kill unblockable anywhere in a linear path from where it is shot, which makes it super good. Sonic's is like Yoshi's in that it lasts a long time and can get multiple stocks with practice. CAN, not WILL. I think they would be very good and plus Sonic in general can run around, not get hit, and has amazing tossing properties for spacing. He'd be really good with items on.

Ponder- People will go to EVO. Chances are EVO 09's date will be set in stone long before any of the big smash events that would be going on at around the same time, meaning we should be able to plan around it. I'm pretty sure if you did something similar to the SBR rule set, a lot of people would go, and it would be a very hype tournament for us here at Smash Boards.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
EVO people said:
Hey, I've got a good idea. Let's respond to the guy who doesn't post coherently, but ignore Overswarm's queries and statements like the plague on smashboards and erase them on SRK's forums. That way, we're never wrong.
10characters

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
I was predicting where the meta game would go. I have no proof and I'm much more of a Pit man when it comes to items. But anyway...

I think Sonic and Sheik are super fast and have moves that can stun the opponent long enough to get them (Sonic's down throw for example). Sheik's FS is a one hit kill unblockable anywhere in a linear path from where it is shot, which makes it super good. Sonic's is like Yoshi's in that it lasts a long time and can get multiple stocks with practice. CAN, not WILL. I think they would be very good and plus Sonic in general can run around, not get hit, and has amazing tossing properties for spacing. He'd be really good with items on.
You may be right, and if Sonic could find a way to consistently get smash balls, there's no question he'd be top tier. Pit's arrows, Pikachu's QAC + Thunder, ROB's laser, and maybe PK thunder are all faster moves though.

I don't really care to test this though as I wouldn't want to play smash, especially a major tournament like EVO, with smashballs. The focus of the game drifts away from aspects I like most, like spacing and approaching.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
You know Overswarm, if you really wanted a reply, you'd use a nicer tone. No one wants to explain themselves to someone who's bitter and angry.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Too used to GameFAQs.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Indeed. I think this game gets very mentally tense after a while and playing with items on is a nice break where you can just play but not have to worry, because it's ITEMS. I don't know but, that's what I use them for.

EDIT YOUR POSTS. DON'T DOUBLE POST =(

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You know Overswarm, if you really wanted a reply, you'd use a nicer tone. No one wants to explain themselves to someone who's bitter and angry.
I would think he's being bitter and angry because people didn't respond to his initial calm and collected posts.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you are so outraged that we tried something different this year that you're not interested in discussing future possibilities, please just tell me and I'll go away. This is my third appeal to everyone on this thread to please put the past behind us. No one is going to convince anyone else that items/no-items is the way to go.
Put the past behind us? This is the present, sir.

That being said, I'd like to talk about 2009. If Evo throws a Smash tournament in 2009, it will be something much more like what you're accustomed to (no-item, 3-stock, 7-minute, etc.). I'm looking for feedback on whether or not that's interesting to you.
Not according to your SRK boards. There has been no apology, no "oops", no "next year, we're going to use the SBR ruleset", and not even a "we're looking into changes for next years ruleset". I've seen "everything was PERFECT".

Hell, CPU himself even talked about how he didn't like that there were items in there. He got 1rst. His brother got 9th and said the same thing, while Ken got 2nd and I'm sure he isn't too happy about items.

Yet... no one says anything about that. Not on SRK. No, your mods and a few others have simply stated "he's 14 and impressionable" about CPU to defend themselves.

One reason you may not be interested is because there is such a thing as "too many tournaments". For example, if Melee-FC is holding another big tournament around Fall of '09, you may not want us to throw one to compete with that. I'm basically looking to get educated about your scene and get any feedback about future events (nothing about '08 please. I know how you think that went). Thanks.
Follow these rules, and you will get at least 250 entrants for Brawl alone.

1. Do not take a large amount of $ from the pot. If you're going to do this, you're not a national tournament and are instead just a gamestore tournament. If you can't do this, sorry, you're out of luck; you are a local event and nothing more. Sponsors are the best way to do this, but you know that.

2. Do not make your own rules and do not let Mr. Wizard have any part in them. Mr. Wizard is not, by any means, a smasher. He is completely ignorant of what is important in a competitive game outside of his own bubble (assuming he knows what he is talking about there) and is detrimental to your cause.

3. Use the SBR recommended ruleset. This ruleset is made to be tweaked, not copied and pasted, and a few members of the SBR would be more than happy to assist you. I know I would, and AZ probably would too. Alpha Zealot is also nicer than I am. The SBR ruleset was decided by a series of democratic votes in the Smash Back Room. The SBR is a collection of the best players, TOs, influential members of the community, etc., etc.; there is no better resource, period.

4. Get rid of your announcer for Brawl. Replace him with someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.

5. Appeal to the top players first. They are interested in rules, competition, money, and prestige. Get good money for the winners (paying out just top 3 is pretty lame for an event this large, so I'd suggest using poker style payouts for top 6 (1rst, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th) at the least), and use the SBR rules and you've got yourself a starting spot. Find the local top tier of the competition and make sure they're going and then you'll get out of state players. Once you get the best of the best going... it's just a matter of time until everyone else wants to get in on the action.

6. Show us what you're doing well in advance. Talk to us, we'll get a post about the tournament stickied and shown to everyone. People here cared so little about EVO that they didn't know it had happened yet.

Basically, admit that you know nothing and say "here's what we have to give you", then use OUR knowledge that we freely give you.

ankoku said:
I would think he's being bitter and angry because people didn't respond to his initial calm and collected posts.
We have a winner. I have many virtues that I can proudly say I claim, but suffering a fool is not one of them. After being ignored via e-mail, posts in the SBR, posts on SRK, and posts in this thread... why should I be nice? They need me more than I'd need them; they cannot offer me anything without listening to me or someone like me. Sure, common courtesy is nice... but that obviously didn't get me very far and it seems to have worked for Mr. Wizard. If someone tried to pull crap like he did in this community, they'd be extradited.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
That is a legitimate concern, but in any of those matches from Evo did you think it was literally impossible for one player to grab the smashball? Which one? There are some characters who are really good at catching smashballs, even if they might drift towards the losing player, like Pit, ROB, Zelda, Pikachu, Lucas, and Ness. As long as it's possible for both players to grab the smash ball, it can be a decent competitive game (albeit a boring one, in my opinion).

If it does turn out that grabbing smashballs are often literally impossible for one side, then smashball play should be dropped competitively.
competitive gaming should not be about turning on a bunch of settings as long as they don't make it absolutely impossible to play fairly. Think of games like world of warcraft, or starcraft, that get regular balancing patches to improve competitive play. there's something good about establishing a ruleset that is relatively balanced. It's not a matter of impossibilities, because 1% chance is not impossible, but it's boring. 5% chance is not impossible but it's boring. 20% is not impossible but it is boring. We should always strive for establishing rules that make our tournaments as much about talent as possible. It's not about keeping everything on unless it makes the game impossible. It's about establishing a competitive environment that meets the objective of being as balanced as possible.

You don't know a whole lot about Smash, or competitive gaming. I'm not usually that direct, but it's appropriate here.

This was one tournament with a weird ruleset. Sonic is very low tier in normal Brawl. In items brawl it may be that sonic is quite a bit higher. but with this being the first tournament with this ruleset, it is highly unlikely that anyone would already know that Sonic might be that much better under this ruleset, since they did not have a handful of local tournaments to test it in.

You have this idea that getting smash balls is all about projectiles, but that simply is not true. You saw CPU snipe one with a ROB laser, and you were convinced that projectiles was all it took.

And yes Sonic can play defensively well. He's great at racking up damage, but what holds him back is killing moves. Adding smash balls to Sonic (and beam swords and bumpers and whatnot) completely takes away his major problem. What you are left with is a character than can deliver the damage and can use items/smashballs to finish.

You'll discover that everyone wants to keep discussing evo2k8 in the evo2k8 thread.

It might be a good idea to discuss evo2k9 in a new thread.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Too used to GameFAQs.
I think sarcastic and clever are better adjectives. You don't know OS.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
I find it interesting that there was no Evo response to Overswarm's and my posts.
Your post had no question marks. I didn't realize you wanted a response.

Shall I point out that FCD only offered 2k, and would've easily drawn more attendance than Evo last year had it not been a capped event? We pulled in 250 with a cap at 250, Evo pulled in 270.
From what I understand about FCD, it and Evo are two completely separate events. Evo is rather expensive to attend: especially in 2007 when we were at the Green Valley Ranch. FCD claimed to provide room and board for all attendees. This was also the first year for Smash at EVO, where it was FC's 7th. It's understandable that more people would go to FC than Evo. BTW, Evo isn't really trying to overtake FC or any other established Smash exclusive events. That would be a bad thing for any community, as their game could fall out of our lineup if more competitive games come along next year.

The money is important, but the prestige and experience are an even bigger draw for many players. Evo had NO COMPETITION for a national tournament this year, and still blew it. It is truly incomprehensible to see the dropoff in attendance. Incomprehensible. It was dropped into their laps, the opportunity to claim the Smash national championship indefinitely, and they blew it. I am literally mystified.
All tournaments had a drop in attendance. There's lots of reasons for this: Evo was only 1 National event this year instead of 3 regionals leading up to a national, many of the games we're playing are running on their 3rd or 4th year, and the prize money was only awarded to 1st - 3rd instead of 1st - 8th as a result of a loss in sponsorship.

Smash dropped in attendence because we turned items on. This was expected.

If they got what was important to them, I'm really not sure what it could be other than a well-run event.
That's it. We ran an event which was fun for the people who attended. I honestly did not expect so much open hostility from running an items tournament. Had I known, we probably would have run GGXX instead, or perhaps both GGXX and a Brawl no-items tournament with a headcount caps.

This year's Evo was a transitional year for us. Since almost all the games were old, this was an opportunity for us to try some new things (online only registration, decreasing the number of games, another attempt at talking-head interviews for the finals, a Smash items tournament, etc.). Some things worked out, some things didn't. Next year will almost certainly feature a new lineup with SF4, STHD, SC IV, etc. and maybe Brawl if things work out.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
LOL. Someone got mindgames'd by the Kish numbering system.
I also laughed out loud at this.

The kishes have not had 7 FC's. :)

Does anyone else notice that all of my posts in this thread have been ignored? I'll post a half a page in response to their entire post and they do this:

EVO said:
Overswarm said:
Well how were we supposed to know?!
Instead of responding to a whole post or even a whole idea. :\

It seems to happen a lot whenever there is some sort of disagreement. I'm calm and collected, patient, making direct questions with medium length posts... ignored. I then post however I feel and post however much I want. Ignored. I then call them out. They then say "I didn't want to respond cuz yer bein' mean with the way you post". I facepalm myself because I start off being as polite as a mouse to a cat.

This is your cue to say "maybe you should post nicer!", EVO guys.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
Not according to your SRK boards. There has been no apology, no "oops", no "next year, we're going to use the SBR ruleset", and not even a "we're looking into changes for next years ruleset". I've seen "everything was PERFECT".
People on the SRK boards think everything went great because either they're Brawl players who like item play or because they're not Brawl players and liked seeing the chaos items caused. Seeing ROB snipe a Smash Ball from full screen or Sheik combo into her Final Smash is exciting for people who know nothing about the game, even if it is anti-competitive, so from their perspective the tournament was a great success.

That's why I'm talking about next year here and not over there.

Hell, CPU himself even talked about how he didn't like that there were items in there. He got 1rst. His brother got 9th and said the same thing, while Ken got 2nd and I'm sure he isn't too happy about items.
From what I hear Ken loves items. This is hearsay, so maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I hear. *shrug*

Yet... no one says anything about that. Not on SRK. No, your mods and a few others have simply stated "he's 14 and impressionable" about CPU to defend themselves.
SRK posters and forum mods do not decide what games appear at EVO and in what form. Those decisions are made by the core Evo staff. Have no illusions about this: if I tell you we'd like to go no-items next year, you can bank on that.

However, SRK people like items. I am not going to go to SRK and tell them that the Smash boards people are right and no-items is the most competitive way to play the game. What purpose would that serve? They're not going to believe me any more than they believe you. Frankly, as a casual Smash player myself, I prefer to watch games with items on.

As the guy runnning the tournament, though, I'm not interested in having a game at Evo which is going to both draw low attendance, and openly antagonize another FGC. I'd rather just not have the game if that were the case. So you can pretty much count on us having Brawl with a more conventinal ruleset or no Brawl at all next year. I'm hoping you can help us reach a decision on which way to go.

Follow these rules, and you will get at least 250 entrants for Brawl alone.

1. Do not take a large amount of $ from the pot. If you're going to do this, you're not a national tournament and are instead just a gamestore tournament. If you can't do this, sorry, you're out of luck; you are a local event and nothing more. Sponsors are the best way to do this, but you know that.
We've never taken a dollar out of any pot. Evo runs by charging a cover (usually $30/head) to pay for the convention room at the hotel, all the fancy video equipment, t-shirts, etc. plus $10 a tourney, 100% of which goes to the winners at a 7/2/1 split. CPU got exactly $749 for 1st, which is 70% of $1070 of entry fees from 107 participants.

2. Do not make your own rules and do not let Mr. Wizard have any part in them. Mr. Wizard is not, by any means, a smasher. He is completely ignorant of what is important in a competitive game outside of his own bubble (assuming he knows what he is talking about there) and is detrimental to your cause.
I think we've got that one covered. MrWizard has been a tireless supporter and organizer of Evo for years. We love him, but I think he missed the boat last year on Smash.

3-6 deleted...
As far as I'm concerned, these are not controversial.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
I also laughed out loud at this.
The one held at KishSquard's sister-in-law's house doesn't count? Your sort of proving my original point here, which is we have no idea what you have going on in '09 or what your big tournaments are or have been aside. This is your cue to clue us in...

This is your cue to say "maybe you should post nicer!", EVO guys.
Maybe you should post nicer!

jchensor

Smash Rookie
You should post nicer, Overswarm! Why do you have to be so mean??

No, no, no, fair enough. It's easier to get baited to respond to the flamers who don't argue coherently, because they generally make the most illogical statements. I'll respond to your post instead and ignore those who are incapable of posting logically.

I think Ponder has already gone so far as to say we're looking into changing the ruleset. And frankly, what is the need to apologize to you guys? We didn't do anything wrong. It's only something we did that was not in accordance with your idealistic view of how Brawl should be played. Now keep in mind, I'm not saying YOU are wrong either. At this point in time, if we run Brawl next year, which we still want to do, we'll work a bit harder to keep the Smash Community happier. Why should we apologize for trying something different? There's no physical mistake made on our part.

Okay, so if we are to ignore theONEjanitor because he cannot post coherently, then I expect the same respect from you, Overswarm, to not use the general posters of SRK as a weapon against us. If we are talking staff to staff, let's leave it at that. And it's already very apparent that Ponder and the rest of the staff are looking into what we can do to make Smash bigger next year at Evo.

The registration fee is a one time charge for any amount of games you play. The individual game fees are 100% put into the pot. Paying for an event in a Casino on the Vegas Strip isn't cheap. The registration fees are a necessity. In fact, we've been chastised before in the past for not charging ENOUGH if higher registration fees could help us run a better organized tournament. And I truly believe that this past year was one of the best runs we've had.

3. Use the SBR recommended ruleset. This ruleset is made to be tweaked, not copied and pasted, and a few members of the SBR would be more than happy to assist you. I know I would, and AZ probably would too. Alpha Zealot is also nicer than I am. The SBR ruleset was decided by a series of democratic votes in the Smash Back Room. The SBR is a collection of the best players, TOs, influential members of the community, etc., etc.; there is no better resource, period.
I've had some PM's with AZ already, and I hope he'll vouch for me that I tried to be as respectful to him as possible. No one here really hates anyone else because we're all trying to accomplish the same task: have fun fighting game tournaments. That we had differences in opinions on one particular game does not call for bitterness or anger. We can work it out, and you have to expect people to be a little thick-headed. I can admit that we've been a little stubborn, but you have to admit that the heads of the Smash Community have not been any more lenient than us.

5. Appeal to the top players first. They are interested in rules, competition, money, and prestige. Get good money for the winners (paying out just top 3 is pretty lame for an event this large, so I'd suggest using poker style payouts for top 6 (1rst, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th) at the least), and use the SBR rules and you've got yourself a starting spot. Find the local top tier of the competition and make sure they're going and then you'll get out of state players. Once you get the best of the best going... it's just a matter of time until everyone else wants to get in on the action.
Again, we did this the two preceding years to this year's Evo. We paid out to the top 8. The reason we went back to top 3 was to make sure the top player got a decent amount. All this money can't come from nowhere, right? You have to agree with that. We were without a major sponsor this year so we went back to our grassroots style of paying out top 3. That's how it's always been in our community since the days of playing Street Fighter II at World's FInest Comics in Pico Rivera. So you can't hold something like that against us. If we had the sponsor, you'd see similar prize winnings to the past two years previous to '08.

6. Show us what you're doing well in advance. Talk to us, we'll get a post about the tournament stickied and shown to everyone. People here cared so little about EVO that they didn't know it had happened yet.
Fair enough. Will do.

Basically, admit that you know nothing and say "here's what we have to give you", then use OUR knowledge that we freely give you.
What is this with your incessant desire to have us admit failure or admit we were wrong or something? As proud as you guys are to fully proclaim that you guys can live without Evo, Evo can live without Brawl, too. We don't owe you guys anything and you guys don't owe us anything either. But we still want to cooperate because we'd still like to have Brawl. No one on Evo side is pressing anyone to "admit they were wrong" or anything. We will still stick by the decisions we made for '08. But we're willing to move on and work out a different solution for '09. You sound as if we should be eternally grateful for your desire to help us. That attitude is equally as pathetic as Evo thinking we're better than you guys. And frankly, I don't think either attitude is even an accurate description of us. We don't think we're better than you (in fact, proclaiming you can live without Evo is a more haughty declaration than anything we've said). I know you're angry right now with us with how things went down, and so your desire for some sort of conclusive "you were right we were wrong" is really strong right now. But neither side needs to "bow" to the other to at this point to keep things moving forward. Because it's that kind of attitude that will prevent any future relationships we have. Again, everyone knows that this relationship isn't necessary and neither side benefits more than the other. Doesn't matter. That's not what this is about. Learning to work with each other is a very symbiotic thing, and we'll both benefit equally from it. You think we erred, we think we just did things differently. If we can all move past that, perhaps we can mend this relationship and get back to a point where we are all working together again.

Sound fair?

- James

cykofox

Smash Ace
I agree with Overswam but the evo guys up to this point seem very friendly and co-operative and thats something that should be appreciated.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Now that's more like it.

What is this with your incessant desire to have us admit failure or admit we were wrong or something? As proud as you guys are to fully proclaim that you guys can live without Evo, Evo can live without Brawl, too. We don't owe you guys anything and you guys don't owe us anything either. But we still want to cooperate because we'd still like to have Brawl. No one on Evo side is pressing anyone to "admit they were wrong" or anything. We will still stick by the decisions we made for '08. But we're willing to move on and work out a different solution for '09. You sound as if we should be eternally grateful for your desire to help us. That attitude is equally as pathetic as Evo thinking we're better than you guys. And frankly, I don't think either attitude is even an accurate description of us. We don't think we're better than you (in fact, proclaiming you can live without Evo is a more haughty declaration than anything we've said). I know you're angry right now with us with how things went down, and so your desire for some sort of conclusive "you were right we were wrong" is really strong right now. But neither side needs to "bow" to the other to at this point to keep things moving forward. Because it's that kind of attitude that will prevent any future relationships we have. Again, everyone knows that this relationship isn't necessary and neither side benefits more than the other. Doesn't matter. That's not what this is about. Learning to work with each other is a very symbiotic thing, and we'll both benefit equally from it. You think we erred, we think we just did things differently. If we can all move past that, perhaps we can mend this relationship and get back to a point where we are all working together again.
Everything else is pretty much okay and good descriptors, but as for the "why are we angry" and "why do you ask for an apology", that's basically directed solely towards Mr. Wizard. If I've ever had the perfect opportunity to use the phrase "grumpy old man that doesn't know about them there video games" to describe someone on a forum, this would be that time and it would be directed towards Mr. Wizard.

He had no idea what was going on and was fairly hostile to us after we attempted to help him. After he told us he wanted our help, we let him in the back room. He then ignored everything, posted he was going to play with items without posting reasoning, and then told us we should "respect our elders" because he's "been doing this for a long time". He then proceeded to post some reasoning, such as banning Norfair because it was "95% lava"; we all had a good laugh out of that one.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
I'm still wondering what the SRK opinion on random elements is. If someone (ponder, Jchensor, etc.) could elaborate it would be much appreciated.

jchensor

Smash Rookie
I'm still wondering what the SRK opinion on random elements is. If someone (ponder, Jchensor, etc.) could elaborate it would be much appreciated.
My mention of Tetris DS and Poker, earlier, were my points that random elements are fine. In fact, learning how to deal with the random elements is very much a HUGELY important part of the skill of those two games mentioned.

Admittedly, that's not what Smash players want from their game. Fighting Games are very different than Tetris and Poker, but I do not like the fact that there is some insistence that randomness automatically makes a competitive game bad. That is, in FACT, NOT true. Actually, one of the things that I love about Smash so much (and I do truly love Smash... truly and deeply love Smash. There was no game in the past 3 years I have been looking forward to more than Brawl. I followed that Sakurai Web Site every single night and cried and giggled like a school girl with every cool new thing I learned about the game)... bleah, that was too long of an aside. Lemme start again. One of the things I love about Smash so much is that the game is SO ORGANIC. It's NOT a science like a game such as Street Fighter III: Third Strike. DIs preventing canned combos that work 100% of the time, the guidable jumps and falling, damage percentage changing the trjectories and reactions of characters who have been struck, the randomness of Peach's items and DeDeDe's toss, etc. are all VERY organic compared to a typical fighting game, where things that work will work 100% of the time. That's not what Smash is to me. Smash, to me, revels in its unpredictability and its flexibility and bendability.

But I can understand why Smash players want to remove all unpredictability from the game, and I can accept that. Even though, at this point, if I could introduce randomly spawning items and Smash Balls into Third Strike I would do so in a HEARTBEAT, I can totally appreciate the need for the Smash Community to have this level of consistency and predictability. If it helps the Community determine, without a doubt, who is the best player, I can understand that.

But ONE LAST THING I have to get off my chest: The random items did NOT, in fact, affect the outcome of our tournament. Many will discredit CPU, but I don't think that's fair. Anyone who can win on that big stage deserves to win. Two other staff members and I did all the interviews of the players for every game, and I know that when I interviewed CPU, he was VERY nervous. EXTREMELY nervous. So much that he didn't even want to do the interview. But he clutched it out on the big stage, on the big screen, with a crowd hooting and hollering at everything HE DID. He never faltered once. If you want to discredit him for winning in that environment because of SMASH BALLS, feel free. But I have seen some unbelievable breakdowns in that kind of environment, where experts suddenly look like scrubs. And CPU did not exhibit any of that. Please give that kid the credit he deserves. What he accomplished was admirable and worthy of praise, not critique. Don't let little Smash Balls ruin it for him.

- James

Overswarm

is laughing at you
To be blunt, CPU will get just as much praise for winning as the Yankee's would get for winning the world series if they suddenly started firing their baseballs out of a canon every few innings. It was pretty obvious that Ken was the better player, and Ken wasn't even that good. As a ROB main (and one of the best there are), I saw in CPU a ROB that was just touching on some of the competitive techniques that I implemented in March; it is difficult to give him a pat on the back.

What I can say is that if he didn't crack under pressure, that's a bigger and better achievement than anything he did that was smash related. What he did when he didn't crack is irrelevant; it's that he didn't.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
I cannot speak for SRK, only for myself. Since you asked, I'll give you my opinion. Let me say up front that this is how I see the world, not necessarily how you should see it. Your viewpoints are of course valid for you.

I think a game can have large elements of randomness and still be extremely competitive. Look at something like poker. It is basically built around randomness, yet on a whole the hardcore pro's make final tables and win a larger percentage of the time than they should. So just because your game has some randomness in it doesn't mean it can't be competitive.

Taking this a little closer to home, we have what we call "50/50's" in a lot of hard core fighting games. This describes a situation where one player has to guess what another is going to do: there is no time to react. For example, Makoto in SF3 is basically 1 big 50/50. After a connected rush punch, she can either attack (blockable or parryable) or go for her command throw (not). If you guess wrong, you eat damage. Some people say this is an example of "Yomi" or "reading your opponent's mind". If you're good at knowing your opponent's mind you will guess correctly much more often than 50% of the time. This is definitely a skill that some players are good at (e.g. John Choi, Alex Valle, Daigo, etc.) and some definitely are not (e.g. me).

Take that even farther and you get to Marvel, which at times can be completely random. The game moves so fast that sometimes even the player executing a rushdown doesn't know whether his attacks will hit high or low (* See note). If the attacker doesn't know what he's doing, you can be sure the person trying to defend doesn't either! While this isn't strictly "randomness", it's sorta close in that how you come out of these situations is dictated more by your luck than your skill at reading your opponent, knowing your character, or executing your moves. That being said, there's still a tremendous amount of skill in the game, a lot of which involves around figuring out how to avoid those situations in the first place. The MvC2 player rankings are perhaps the most consistent of any fighting game, ever. Justin Wong reigns supreme, beatable only by Yipes and Sanford, if they're lucky.

Translating this to Smash, the "randomness" of items could lead to an interesting meta-game where how well you'd prepared your game-plan around random spawn events overwhelmed the actual random factor. The closest analogy I can draw to this is something like Magic: the Gathering, another game built at least in part around the randomness of your initial deck.

As inkblot mentioned, the FGC grew out of the arcade where we did not have the luxury of tweaking the game to meet our preferences. When you got a game you exploited the hell out of it until you determined whether it was competitive or not. If it was, we started running tournaments and a scene grew around it. If it wasn't, it was discarded.

Very early on there were "house rules" to try to convert a game which was seen as not-so
competitive to be a better game. The most well known of these was the "no throw" house rule, where you could only damage your opponent by finding a way to get him to block incorrectly. Throws were forbidden. People took their house rules extremely seriously. Inkblot and I almost got knifed in the parking lot in an ST tournament in New Jersey because ink violated the no-throw rule in a Balrog vs. Akuma match (yes, their house rules banned throwing but not Akuma. Insane, right?). This is back in the day before the web. All we had was Usenet, and only then if you happened to be lucky enough to be in college or in a gifted-program at an expensive high-school. It was obviously impossible to standardize anything. This just reinforced the decision that everything was to be allowed in a game, and if it couldn't stand up on its own merits that it should be discarded as not tournament worthy.

Of course, your roots are different. You've got a wealth of settings to tweak and a rich medium for communicating those settings all over the world. However, (and this is really getting to the reason we held an items tournament to begin with), I still believe you could apply FGC standards to Smash and come out with something playable. It's possible that there's a game lurking inside Smash with items on that's just as competitive as items off. This game would play much much differently from the current Smash games. The meta-game of item play and stage control would be just as important as combos, edge guarding, etc... maybe even more important. The tiers would be different, strategies would be different, and the game would play at a much more frentic, chaotic pace. You would probably only try to find that game if you had no choice or if the principle of playing the game at default settings, unmodified was important to you. Neither of those is true for the Smash community, which is why you don't really care about whether or not this game exists and can stand up on it's own, but as a Street Fighter I think it's a facinating question (including the randomness).

I expect you to disagree with that last paragraph, but you did ask. If you don't, I'm pleasantly suprised. If you do, don't worry: I'm not trying to convert you. You've found a system that works well for you and you should be happy that you got everyone to agree on something and that the scene is still growing.

(*) Note: at the highest levels of play (Yipes, Justin Wong, etc), this actually isn't true.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
To be blunt, CPU will get just as much praise for winning as the Yankee's would get for winning the world series if they suddenly started firing their baseballs out of a canon every few innings.
That would actually improve the game, too. Baseball... :tired:

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
But ONE LAST THING I have to get off my chest: The random items did NOT, in fact, affect the outcome of our tournament.
We'll never know the answer to that, and for sure CPU demonstrated some excellent clutch play, but if you add up all the damage done by Ken and CPU when items were not in play, I think you'll find Ken was way way ahead. If we could magically go back and re-run the finals with no-items, I would put money on Ken at 3:1 odds to take it.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
One of the things I love about Smash so much is that the game is SO ORGANIC. It's NOT a science like a game such as Street Fighter III: Third Strike. DIs preventing canned combos that work 100% of the time, the guidable jumps and falling, damage percentage changing the trjectories and reactions of characters who have been struck, the randomness of Peach's items and DeDeDe's toss, etc. are all VERY organic compared to a typical fighting game, where things that work will work 100% of the time. That's not what Smash is to me. Smash, to me, revels in its unpredictability and its flexibility and bendability.
The only random element you mentioned here however are the items from D3 and Peach. The other elements, while organic (and I agree, the elements that make smash great, that make it what it is) are completely under the control of a player. There appears to be an unpredictability, but these are simply more opportunities for a player to input a command which will alter their movement. There is no randomness here, no less then you might call an anticapatory (or "psychic) dragon punch "random."

But I can understand why Smash players want to remove all unpredictability from the game, and I can accept that. Even though, at this point, if I could introduce randomly spawning items and Smash Balls into Third Strike I would do so in a HEARTBEAT, I can totally appreciate the need for the Smash Community to have this level of consistency and predictability. If it helps the Community determine, without a doubt, who is the best player, I can understand that.
With the top 4 3s all chuns, I would want smashballs too :laugh:

The only random elements we have control over are items (and stage selection, but that doesn't seem like to big an issue), and as such the community opted to remove that element. Which brings me back to my original point which wasn't addressed as much as I would have liked. Random elements in fighting games. Good for competitive play or bad?

PS. I'm not terribly brawl savvy, but I didn't think CPU played poorly at all, especially in that kind of pressure. People keep bringing up the interview on Get Your Tournament where he says "items suck, oshi ken etc..." but you will also read he and his brother practiced the format given to them and learned how to make the best out of the given situation. I do feel that in an itemless match ken would be considered the better player. Thing is, this was an item filled tourney and it is apparent to me that CPU knew how to play a match w/items better.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Even though, at this point, if I could introduce randomly spawning items and Smash Balls into Third Strike I would do so in a HEARTBEAT, I can totally appreciate the need for the Smash Community to have this level of consistency and predictability. If it helps the Community determine, without a doubt, who is the best player, I can understand that.
Yes. Go in to a 3s thread over on SRK and dump this little snippet of your post on to the community over there. I triple dog dare you. Not only will they laugh you out of the thread, the moderators will take a **** on you from on high and ban your *** for what they consider "trolling." Or they neg-rep you to hell and back.

(Well, if I did something like I stated in the first paragraph then I would elicit that sort of response. Not so sure about you though.)

I can agree with you on the fact that Smash is a totally organic experience in comparison to other fighters. However, commonalities must exist. Where do you think the drive and need to make the playing field even stems from? It is from those other fighters that are DEVOID of random **** that we try to fashion the ruleset of the game out of. If we take 3s and strip it down to the base skeleton, what do you have? For starters, you don't have people playing merry-go-'round the stage waiting on tide-turning items to spawn (and no, building meter for a super art is NOT a good comparison in this case). You have a game that is firmly entrenched with "who is the better player" (with parrying footsies!). There are no outside elements popping up out of the blue to interfere with the flow of a match.

You can call it stage control, you can call it part of the game, or you can call it whatever you want. The fact of the matter is that it's just too random and skews balance too much. It turns the game into a camp-fest for items. If I wanted to play a game like that, I'd play an FPS with random spawns. We're trying to play a FIGHTING GAME here.

Edit: Or at least, try to make one. I dunno.

I'm not flaming you or anything. >___< Please don't take it that way.

Smooth Criminal

AJtwist

Smash Cadet
I haven't read everything that has been posted here yet so sorry if I repeat anything.

EVO was pretty crazy this year... in a good way. When I first heard about items on for EVO me and my friends said "WTF? F--- That!" But by then we had already entered and paid, so we turned items on and tried it out. Smash Balls CAN be avoid we all learned. Sidestep, jump, roll or just block some of them. The only problem I had is Space Animal's Final Smash... flying up when you are stuck on top, sucks. BUT I saw someone run off or avoid it more than once at EVO. Ken using Marth looked like he was messing up fools with the smash ball during pools and semi's. But in the Finals, he didn't do all that well with it. I don't think he hit CPU with it more than once. PROPS to CPU btw. Sick ROB.
So items are not all that bad. No Sonics made it to the finals... and I saw plenty. And I thought he would make it to finals with his final smash.
So, IMO, itmes are not ALL that bad... and if they are it needs to be proved, doesn't have to be right away. Brawl is still a new game and we haven't broken it all the way down yet.
Akuma in Street Fighter took a few big tournaments to realize he needed to be baned. Why can't Brawl take that long?
And I'm not saying all Brawl Tourneys need to have Items. But at least some so if Brawl does come back for next years EVO, we'll be ready to have some fun and kick some ***.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for your response Ponder.

I have played 3s, MvC2 and M:TG, all at competitive levels. Only the last has the truly random elements I'm concerned with. The guessing games in the first two have limited possibilities of what will come next as far as mixups, which are further limited by the person throwing them out. The speed at which that happens means you don't have all the time in the world to evaluate all options and make the best decision, but it's not random.

I don't disagree with that last paragraph. Evo has shown actually that there can be competitive matches with items on. I agree that it would be a completely different beast than itemless smash. The thing the SWF community and I are concerned about is, is what is MORE competitive. Itemless smash is felt to be the best representation of skill, because with nearly all random elements removed (all that we could), that's the only thing left.

That being said, do *you* think that random elements benefit competitive play?

jchensor

Smash Rookie
What I can say is that if he didn't crack under pressure, that's a bigger and better achievement than anything he did that was smash related. What he did when he didn't crack is irrelevant; it's that he didn't.
Fair enough. You know I've watched your R.O.B. in your videos, and your R.O.B. is hot stuff. So you'd be the best judge on CPU's actual R.O.B. skills. But CPU still deserves credit for what he did, that part cannot be argued.

We'll never know the answer to that, and for sure CPU demonstrated some excellent clutch play, but if you add up all the damage done by Ken and CPU when items were not in play, I think you'll find Ken was way way ahead. If we could magically go back and re-run the finals with no-items, I would put money on Ken at 3:1 odds to take it.
I just recall that in the match where CPU defeated Ken to put Ken into the Loser's bracket, Ken got hit repeatedly by Spot Dodge into D-Smash. Ken probably would have learned and come back in the Final Match to win it, given Ken's pedigree, though, so I think you're right. I take back my statement, but I still stand by mt opinion that CPU's victory should not be discredited as being solely due to items.

The only random element you mentioned here however are the items from D3 and Peach. The other elements, while organic (and I agree, the elements that make smash great, that make it what it is) are completely under the control of a player.
Right. If you noticed, I only mention "random" when I mention Peach and DeDeDe. None of those other things are random, but they are a part of the flexibility and bendiness that I like about Smash.

Yes. Go in to a 3s thread over on SRK and dump this little snippet of your post on to the community over there. I triple dog dare you. Not only will they laugh you out of the thread, the moderators will take a **** on you from on high and ban your *** for what they consider "trolling." Or they neg-rep you to hell and back.
Heh. Actually, I already wrote that on the SRK Forums. Granted, I am not one to be flamed on SRK, but having Smash Balls in Third Strike was a joke shared by more than a few people after Evo was done. And even Mike Watson, who qualified in Third Strike at Evo, completely said that Third Strike sucks in his interview that was played on the big screen, which drew big laughs.

- James

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Why is everyone complaining for Ken? He missed a bunch of final smashes that would have won him the match, why does no one mention that? Ken played well but he didn't play by this rule set good enough to win.

Random is built into brawl so turning off items isn't going to get rid of it.

I've been thinking about this crap all night and I think I've got it what the smash community wants isn't no random but instead control over their characters and the game state as a whole. Thats why when GaW catches a nine hammer or Luigi misfire no one cry because because you and your opponent were in control in that instant and you completely understand the effects.

And while looking at this now I want to argue "Play with items; understand them like you do your characters like competitive melee with items." but I'll keep that in italics so it doesn't ruin the validity of my post.

So does that seem fair to say? For most competitive players you are too scruby to adapt to random elements that are out of their direct control?

Poker players read the odds, smash players ban them.

Hahaha, all that said regardless of the future rulesets decided I'll still be attending tourneys like I've always been.

RebelStarRL

Smash Rookie
I wonder what would happen if tournaments had no monetary tournament prize. Maybe we wouldn't be complaining about Evo right now. >.<

I think 2on2 Brawl team tournaments would be cool to try at Evo. No items, team attack, 2-3 stock for each player. Not a bad idea, eh? Instead of complaining to yourself when you lose, you can blame your partner. ; )

btw, jchensor is cool!

btw2, does anyone play boardgames like settlers of catan? i wouldn't mind playing tournaments for that at Evo. =P

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I wonder what would happen if tournaments had no monetary tournament prize. Maybe we wouldn't be complaining about Evo right now. >.<
If tournaments had no monetary prize there would be even less attendance at EVO because any physical incentive to go there rather than to a local tournament, which in places like California will have practically twice the attendance, is lost. The only reason to go would be for recognition, of which wouldn't be much if nobody went.

I think 2on2 Brawl team tournaments would be cool to try at Evo. No items, team attack, 2-3 stock for each player. Not a bad idea, eh? Instead of complaining to yourself when you lose, you can blame your partner. ; )
"Try?"

talking_chicken

Smash Apprentice
So does that seem fair to say? For most competitive players you are too scruby to adapt to random elements that are out of their direct control?
I don't think that's the problem. The problem with items isn't so much that they're random, it's that they're random AND can change the outcome of a match. Take a bumper, for instance. It can kill at ridiculously low percents and there's always the chance that it can appear right next to you. It's easy to pick up, it's easy to throw, and if you pressure them enough with B attacks, you might be able to find the right opening to throw it and get your kill. Granted, I dunno if that happened a lot at EVO, but it's just an idea. I don't generally play with items competitively, so I don't know.

Remember that at the start of Melee's competitive life cycle half the country did have items on. While there were debates as to whether they were viable in tournaments or not, it wasn't the randomness alone that got them banned. It's just that people got tired of exploding stuff appearing right in front of them while they're charging smashes and stuff, which usually cost a stock, which can be a lot to come back from. (note, I wasn't around for this, but based on what I've read, that's what I believe happened). Now, that specific situation doesn't happen in Brawl since you can turn containers off, but the idea behind that (a stock taking item appearing right in front of people) is one of the reasons items are off in Brawl. I do think, however, another one of the reasons people don't play with items is because they're used to it from Melee or they like the idea of itemless play. There's nothing wrong with that, they can play how they want.

Randomness isn't the problem here, it's just that some items are just too powerful and they drop randomly, or at least, that's what I think the SBR is trying to debate. There are also people that actually don't like randomness, but I think that's more a matter of preference. Some people just want to be in control of everything they do and the only thing they want interfering with that is the opponent. They don't want to be fighting random spawns along with the opponent. I wonder if those people get upset whenever they play a Final Fantasy game and they get a critical hit on one of their attacks, and say "I didn't deserve that" or something like that. :p

---

All that aside, I've got a question, though. Let's be honest. Let's say, theoretically, that some kind of a patch was released for Brawl (or Melee, or 64, since we're being theoretical) that somehow made items tournament viable (according to SWF standards). I dunno how, maybe with fixed drop points and rebalanced strengths or something like that. Would you switch over?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
peach can just as easily pull a bobomb and drop it off the stage so you can't recover or dedede can get a gordo that you can either avoid and die or get hit by and die.

I don't know why I bother; and I hope some smart *** say "Then you should stop here." Do it please.

The points I've been bringing up for that last 2 years about this are either ignored or countered with "because it is random X, Y or Z". You said yourself talking_chicken due to your own research random items and item balance were not the cause of the decline of items in melee. So what a bumper cost you a stock tough luck you got edge guarded, wow who'd guess getting hit off the stage puts you are a *gasp* disadvantage. Man up play your next stock better, ****, don't cry.

What frustrates me is how much people whine and moan about items, or in this case event like Evo when the have zero experience themselves with items. It pisses me off that you, and I'm using that "you" loosely here, are telling people what is fair balance good and true, telling players and event holders quite literally "You don't even know anything about the game." When you yourselves don't know what you are talking about. I'm sure You could tell me what percent meta knight shuttle loop kills you main. Any idea the percent a bumper kills? I bet not. Thats my only issue in this whole thing hypocrisy and blatant ignorance.

And for the record I've been to more tournament events (guess how many of them have had items) than more than half the people *****ing in here. I've been on the boards longer than half the people in the thread combined. I say that only to say this I'm not some inexperienced kid just taking the opposite side because I'm bored or looking to stir **** up. I've been out there for a while and anyone who's played me win or lose will tell you I not horrible for a samus main and I know my ****.

What pisses me off the most is that this post is just going to get skimmed over once people realize it is a half way intelligent argument agianst items, or someone will find a grammar error or some **** of discredit me. But the fact of the matter is items are as broken to you, and again I'm using that loosely, as advanced tech were to the people you call scrubs, and for the same reasons. If you are going to cry about something at least do it because you've experienced it before.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fair enough. You know I've watched your R.O.B. in your videos, and your R.O.B. is hot stuff. So you'd be the best judge on CPU's actual R.O.B. skills. But CPU still deserves credit for what he did, that part cannot be argued.
He deserves credit, but the tournament does not mean he is the best player in that field. That's the problem we have with items. They don't have to be broken. Their presence simply makes it more likely that the winner of the tournament was not the most skilled player. I'm not talking about "most skilled at itemless smash." I'm talking about skill in item-smash. With items on, it doesn't just mean that now the best item-smash player will win. It means that the winner could be any one of the top 10 item-smash players, or even someone outside of the top ten.

I just recall that in the match where CPU defeated Ken to put Ken into the Loser's bracket, Ken got hit repeatedly by Spot Dodge into D-Smash. Ken probably would have learned and come back in the Final Match to win it, given Ken's pedigree, though, so I think you're right. I take back my statement, but I still stand by mt opinion that CPU's victory should not be discredited as being solely due to items.
OS kind of invented the quick spot dodge-downsmash. In fact, most of what you see ROB players doing today is because they learned it from him. He's the best UpB player there is.

Right. If you noticed, I only mention "random" when I mention Peach and DeDeDe. None of those other things are random, but they are a part of the flexibility and bendiness that I like about Smash.
What is NOT random about Peach and Dedede is that there will be an item coming at your face, and it will be an advantage for the person pulling it from the ground, or wherever DDD gets his. It will never accidentally come flying from the other player AT peach.
Poker players read the odds, smash players ban them.
I used to play Poker semi-professionally. I've played in more Poker tournaments than probably anyone has ever played in smash tournaments. I made thousands of dollars at that game by working the odds.

There were well over a hundred poker tournaments i've played in where I was clearly the best player at the table, and I'd go home without any money, sometimes in last place. I quit playing Poker because I realized after 17 weeks straight of losing money, that even if it all balances out in the long run, the long run is too d*mn long. There's too much randomness in that game for someone who is competitive like me. The top players play because it's better money and not as hard as a 9-5. They'd all quit if they started losing and couldn't get back in the money.

The last half dozen World Series of Poker have all crowned champions that NO ONE would say was the best player there. It's clear which players are in the top 20-30 in the world at any given poker event, but many of them went out in like 4000th place. Phil Hellmuth is still regarded as one of the best NLHE players in the world, and he didn't make the final table. Most avid poker fans did not recognize a single face in the final table.
So what a bumper cost you a stock tough luck you got edge guarded, wow who'd guess getting hit off the stage puts you are a *gasp* disadvantage. Man up play your next stock better, ****, don't cry.
Seriously, if something that randomly distributes rewards to players decides whether or not the best player wins, than it should be avoided in competitive play. We don't play to see who the machine picks as the winner. We play to see who is actually better, and if the machine can give random wins to players by dropping good items in their reach, then that increases the likelihood that the worst player will win because of something over which he had no control. That is bad for competition, and if competition can be structured and improved without that item, it should be, for the sake of legitimate results.

What frustrates me is how much people whine and moan about items, or in this case event like Evo when the have zero experience themselves with items. It pisses me off that you, and I'm using that "you" loosely here, are telling people what is fair balance good and true, telling players and event holders quite literally "You don't even know anything about the game." When you yourselves don't know what you are talking about. I'm sure You could tell me what percent meta knight shuttle loop kills you main. Any idea the percent a bumper kills? I bet not. Thats my only issue in this whole thing hypocrisy and blatant ignorance.
I think you are ignorant about what we know and don't know and you are trying to build an argument based on your own ignorance, but it won't hold.
What pisses me off the most is that this post is just going to get skimmed over once people realize it is a half way intelligent argument agianst items, or someone will find a grammar error or some **** of discredit me. But the fact of the matter is items are as broken to you, and again I'm using that loosely, as advanced tech were to the people you call scrubs, and for the same reasons. If you are going to cry about something at least do it because you've experienced it before.
You didn't even approach half-intelligence in an argument for or against anything.

Items have nothing in common with advance tech. Advance tech gives an advantage to whoever makes accurate and precise inputs, which is what video-gaming is ALL ABOUT. Items give rewards to whoever happens to be standing near them when they fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom