• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U My Thoughts on 3DS Being Used As A Controller

Sonic Kirby Elric

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonicfan08
3DS FC
1934-1829-6241
So I was thinking about how people mainly play Smash Wii U with the GC controller, and I thought to myslef, "why not make a thread about the 3DS controls?" I mainly play my 3DS because I'm not always near my Wii U considering my busy schedule with school and the fact that my parents are divorced, so in turn I play Smash 3DS more than Smash Wii U, therefore I've gotten used to how the 3DS controls. Something about it is that it allows me to have a 2 in 1. The game portable and a controller to boot. Since I don't have the GC adapter, I'm pretty stuck with the 3DS. So, what do you guys think on the subject?

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Back before I got one of those Hori classic controller Gamecube controller lookalikes, the 3DS controller was pretty much my go to Smash Wii U controller. Like you, I played and continue to play a lot of Smash 3DS, mostly because it's the most convenient version for me (I've found that it works great for commutes) and because it's the version my friends have.

Unfortunately, you can only use the 3DS as a controller for regular Smash, so you kind of have to get used to another controller if you want to play solo modes. That's really the main reason why I haven't used the 3DS as a controller much since getting that lookalike Gamecube controller and why I ended up getting that other controller in the first place.

Last edited:

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
I mostly use the 3DS as a controller even though I have the GC adapter. It feels comfortable for me now since I've been playing Smash 3DS since it launched. I still play it more than my Wii U version since I'm always on the go. I still do use the GC controller every now and then though but I like my 3DS more. It's weird because I never thought I would say that ever but here I am today lol

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't like using 3DS controls for practical reasons; battery power. The 3DS isn't exactly a console that's well-known for staying on for long periods of time. The fact that it can't be used in online and single player modes hurts it as well.

Overall, when I use my 3DS as a Wii U controller, I mainly use it for its intended purpose; a last resort for when there are no more controllers available.

D

Deleted member

I barely use my 3DS as a controller on the regular Smash modes, but when I use it, it's always been a refreshing experience. Got used to the controls, so it's not much of a problem. Though I wish you could use it for other modes plus online. As a result, I rely on the Pro Controller, which has [almost] exactly the same layout as the portable system.

Shaymojack

Smash Rookie
It's really weird to me how many people at local tourneys use a 3DS and it surprises me even more when they can still play really well on it. Just doesn't work for me.

Top Bottom