• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Pit Gets ***** By Olly

donutseatgood

Smash Rookie
Can anybody help me? I have a friend who is an extremely good olimar player and i can't even touch him. He three stocked me. I am good so don't say that i suck. I just get pwned by olimar. Any advice?

Felis

Smash Cadet
Yes Olimar is not one of the best match ups for Pit imo. He is small, quite quick and that disjointed hit box is a beast. Approching with SH nair/fair wont work because his size works against you and you'll get grabbed. Your best bet would be to keep your distance and shoot your arrows and hit him with your AR. But be carefull his grab goes through AR and then you can get punished.

Pit doesnt have alot going for him in this matchup, Just wait for someone else to post i guess untill then, use marth? no jk.

Try to throw him off the edge and gimp his second jump by and arrow then grab the ledge, that should work considering that if his UP hits you he will still die while you can fly back up.

later

-Felis

BTW. welcome to the PIT forums :D

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Olimar falls into a pit and loses. :laugh:

So, anyway, if you did not know, I did test out that you can use your Mirror Shield against Olimar. (I think the Angel Ring will help as well.) If he throws his Pikmin at you, the Mirror Shield will reflect the Pikmin, and they will attack Olimar instead. What this means is that if Olimar decides to use his Pikmin against you, but is attacked by his own Pikmin instead, he may have to kill his Pikmin and be forced to use Pikmin Pull (neutral B).

Keep Olimar under stress by using Palutena's Arrows. I think this can be useful, since the arrows' trajectory can be manipulated if he decides to duck. Use your shield and grabs. If you grab Olimar, you can toss him up and use the u-air, or you can throw him forward and then fire an arrow. Most importantly, try to get Olimar off the stage. That is his weakness, and we know that Pit is a great edge-guard.

WhatIsPie?

Smash Apprentice
Wow why didn't I think of the down B idea, that is way helpful. Can you be grabbed out of the reflector? This is after it has been out for a while.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Wow why didn't I think of the down B idea, that is way helpful. Can you be grabbed out of the reflector? This is after it has been out for a while.
I'm testing things out with Pit and Olimar. Another thing you might want to keep in mind is knowing what your opponent can and cannot do. You want to be familiar with his or her attacks. Pit can be grabbed if he is using his Mirror Shield. Since level 9 CPUs won't give you certain information, it is best to be aware that Olimar can use his Pikmin Order (Down+B), which will act as a magic armor. So while he will increase in percentile, he will not fly off the stage. In other words, if you were to use the f-smash, Olimar could use Pikmin Order, and this would not benefit you.

Instead, if the person you play against uses this, be ready to grab. Grabbing is an effective part of your arsenal. I'll give you a few examples. If someone is using his or her jab on you, you can shield and then grab. This will cancel the jab. The same can be said of a dash attack, or even Ness' and Lucas' PK Thunder 2. PKT2 is when Ness or Lucas use PK Thunder on themselves to fly at you. You can shield and then grab. In this battle, I think Pit has the advantage, since he can space himself by using his arrows against Olimar. If your friend has a problem with this, too bad. If it's working, why stop?

Be sure to shield. I use the shield to protect myself against my opponents. If Olimar uses his d-air, and he lands right in front of you while doing this, shield yourself and then grab him and punish him with a few grab jabs. Once you do this, throw him in whatever direction you prefer and take advantage of the stage. If you are in the air, don't try to d-air Olimar. I think he has an advantage here, because his Pikmin will fly at you and inflict damage on you instead. So, don't try anything risky while in the air. Well, under one exception: the gl-air is handy in my opinion. Just don't do it too often, or your friend will know what you're going to do.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Actually Dryn, if you use the Mirror Shield and get the Pikmin to attack Olimar he can just use the whistle and they will stop and get back in line, so he does NOT have to attack them and risk killing them and leaving himself open during a pluck, that would be a good/annoying strategy though if the Whistle didn't flaw it completely. And if the Olimar reacts quickly enough, he can avoid taking any damage from the Pikmin at all.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's kinda funny. I go through the other character's forums everyday to make sure I'm up to date on their tactics and ATs and everyday there's another thread on how to deal with Olimar. Mostly they're wrong. It's kinda sad. Today, there's one in the snake forums.

The only thing I can say is that this matchup takes MUCH MORE time than usual to figure out. I 2 or 3 stocked my friend's sheik every game for about for about ten matches until he got used to playing against my Olimar. He now gets me(on average, estimating) to about 1 life before I kill him off, usually. He can beat me now though.(i'm not invincible anymore) He had to figure out how to get around the pikmin, kill them, not get distracted by them so I'd close up and combo. He had to figure out how to avoid the range on my grab and fsmash. He had to learn, through experience, how to edgeguard Olimar efficiently also.(it's not as easy as everyone is making it out to be. :))

Basically, this match will come to you through experience.(unless you're MK) After about 30 matches, you should have a good idea how to cope with some of the things Olimar likes to do. Have you played a lot versus him?

Edit: I'm not saying you guys are wrong about the match. I'm just summing up my experience in character subforums overall.

Puddin

Smash Lord
We are Olimar mains, we know how to fight ourselves XD This does seem like a hard match up, If Olimar ducks he can avoid the arrow, not saying just duck while you charge it but with some timing he can duck while it flies at him. Fortunately for Pit he has multiple ways of reflecting Pikmin, well from what I know Mirror shield and Side B.

Unfortunately for Pit Olimar can whistle and avoid having to kill his own Pikmin because they've betrayed him. I guess this does leave a bit of an opening for Pit to try and attack, but Whistle has Super Armor and Oli can Fsmash almost immediately after it. So the short time between Super Armor and an Fsmash Pit would have to get in for a Combo maybe?

But like DanGR said this is a hard match up that will have to be learned through experience, especially since most every Olimar plays differently. I suppose one strategy you could try is mind games with Olimars own Pikmin.

Your opponent (Olimar) will obviously know you have a way to counter his Pikmin, so try some mind games and let some Pikmin on one time, and reflect them another, sure you'll take damage but eventually the Olimar will have to predict if you will reflect the Pikmin, and send them back at him, or let them on. Which will constantly keep them guessing and on their toes.

Another tip, alternate between the Mirror Sheild and Fspecial, both reflect Pikmin but one is faster, and the other deals damage AND reflects Pikmin, one leaves you open for a grab, the other can stop Pikmin and Olimar in his tracks and avoid a grab, beware of ending lag though.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Actually Dryn, if you use the Mirror Shield and get the Pikmin to attack Olimar he can just use the whistle and they will stop and get back in line, so he does NOT have to attack them and risk killing them and leaving himself open during a pluck, that would be a good/annoying strategy though if the Whistle didn't flaw it completely. And if the Olimar reacts quickly enough, he can avoid taking any damage from the Pikmin at all.
Hello, Puddin. (That sounds weird to say.) I did not say that Olimar would have to attack his own Pikmin. I said, "He may." Note the uncertainty in those words of mine. I even italicized "may" in my previous post. Still, Olimar would have to use the Pikmin Order before proceeding. Unless of course he isn't worried about taking damage. Please keep in mind that I am not saying that it is easy as it sounds, Puddin. I'm just offering a useful tip.

Thanks for the tips as well, you two. :)

Mysteryfox1

Smash Ace
The Netherlands, Noord-Brabant, Aarle Rixtel
Olimar falls into a pit and loses. :laugh:

So, anyway, if you did not know, I did test out that you can use your Mirror Shield against Olimar. (I think the Angel Ring will help as well.) If he throws his Pikmin at you, the Mirror Shield will reflect the Pikmin, and they will attack Olimar instead. What this means is that if Olimar decides to use his Pikmin against you, but is attacked by his own Pikmin instead, he may have to kill his Pikmin and be forced to use Pikmin Pull (neutral B).

Keep Olimar under stress by using Palutena's Arrows. I think this can be useful, since the arrows' trajectory can be manipulated if he decides to duck. Use your shield and grabs. If you grab Olimar, you can toss him up and use the u-air, or you can throw him forward and then fire an arrow. Most importantly, try to get Olimar off the stage. That is his weakness, and we know that Pit is a great edge-guard.
about the forcing pikmin pull he can just use his whistle to get them back

Puddin

Smash Lord
Does his Dair have good priority? Sometimes Olimar can hit me out of my Uair with his Dair and sometimes he can't.
I don't know about Olimars Dair Priority, but it has major landing lag so unless the player is certain they'll hit you they'll probably not use Dair because when they land after using it theres a lot of lag that leaves them open.

donutseatgood

Smash Rookie
Thanks guys. He often Switches between 3-4 mains. But when I do face him I pay close attention. I'm gonna try this advice out today. Thank you for the help.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Even if a few pikmin are reflected back against him, a simple tap of A A will sweep them off at an instant.

Isn't there already a thread on this?
Thats the problem, why would Olimar kill his Pikmin knowing he can use Whistle and make them stop instantly? did you read any of the posts?

Top Bottom