• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My personal opinions and reasons behind calling characters "OP".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
No, I got spammed by insanely good aerials and his cheap *** d-special.

How to R.O.B.: Charge d-special. Use lowhop n-air/b-air. Throw d-special repeatedly. Occasionally use n-special.
If losing, resort to only using d-special and n-special.
If you want to get better, I implore you change up your attitude. I'm not going to lie because there are some cheesy players out there, but they're not the majority. If a ROB beats you, it's because you gout outplayed. Perhaps you didn't know the MU, perhaps it got really tense, but the point is, it's not always "**** that cheap move!" There are ways around it. Try looking up Bowser v ROB vids on youtube and see what others do during various situations

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
If you're defending Mario's D-air then I can only come to two conclusions: A) You're a Mario main and you're crying someone pointed out your BS, or B) You've never played against a Mario who understood how broken the move is.
A) No, not a mario main. I mean, you see the icons below my avatar, right? I played him in smash64 but thats it.
B) FG is littered with marios spamming dair. It's a pretty common move.

The way I see it, there are only 3 possible explanations for the trouble you're having with these characters.

1) You're a scrub
2) You're a scrub
3) No seriously, you're a scrub and you need to git gud

So let me get this straight. You're outright ADMITTING that Mario is unpunisable when against Bowser?
I didnt say that, now did I? I said, clear as day, that Bowser may be too slow to punish dair. Other characters can do it, especially if they space themselves correctly and dodge roll. It sounds like your problem is trying to shield everything and then get an instant punish, but you clearly dont have a handle on the concepts of frame data and recovery frames.

Bowser can punish dair, though. Here are two ways you can do it:

1) Upsmash. It has super armor, so you'll power right through it.

2) UpB out of shield. Time it right, and press upB (without letting go of the shield button) and you can punish it.

Now, are you gonna stop being a scrub-a-dub-dub and git gud, or are you just another lost cause?

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
I'm not exactly willing to take advice from a Bayo main.
You dont seem willing to take advice from anyone.

And yeah, I'm maining bayo. So what? Is she another character you get salty over just because day 1 bayonettas can destroy bad bowser players like you?

I also play bowser a lot myself; not enough to call him a secondary or even pocket character, but I can promise you I'm more familiar with the character than you are.

Are you on the wiiU version? Because if so, maybe you should upload some replays to youtube of your bowser in action. That way, we can see what you're doing wrong in these situations and help you improve. Better yet, go to the bowser boards and ask for help (and actually ask for help, not whine and cry). Nobody can help you if you dont help us help you.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Or perhaps post in this thread. I mean these are competitive impressions. There's a lot more people there who'd be able to explain why those characters aren't OP.

1FC0

Smash Lord
No, I got spammed by insanely good aerials and his cheap *** d-special.

How to R.O.B.: Charge d-special. Use lowhop n-air/b-air. Throw d-special repeatedly. Occasionally use n-special.
If losing, resort to only using d-special and n-special.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Salt: What you call someone when they call you out on your BS.
"Salty."

Please get the terminology right if you're going to use it. Changing a words meaning at whim is not helping you look right.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=salty

If you're still gonna go on about this without trying to see things in a different way, then I think it's time to bring in the big guns.

Allow me to introduce Mr. David Sirlin, and one of many articles he's written in regards to fighting games and competition.

"Introducing...the Scrub"
http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

I'm not going to ask you to read this; I'm telling you to. For your own good, read the words that have been laid before you and let them really sink in. I consider this required reading for anyone trying to get into either playing competitively, or just getting better at fighting games in general.

All of those "OP broken" characters you listed? You can beat them. You absolutely can. You have the power to make it happen. The only thing stopping you is you. You are your own worst enemy.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Laser and Gyro spam is easily beaten so it is your fault for being a noob if you get owned by it.
This is something you see a lot of players complain about.

"he's just spamming! all he does is those two moves! doesnt he know how to do anything else!?"

Regardless of whether that player "knows how to do anything else," the fact of the matter is, if they can beat you with such a simple, predictable tactic, why shouldnt they keep doing it? Why should they exert any extra effort if that is all thats required to win?

If I'm playing king dedede, and I notice that you cant deal with gordos, I will absolutely spam them. Mercilessly. It's not my problem if the other person is incapable of adapting or dealing with it.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Perhaps it'd be beneficial if we avoided hostility?

D DigiboyGaming it's not a good idea to just dismiss advice because someone happens to disagree with you. You claimed to not want to take advice from a Bayonetta main, but that Bayonetta main could be the difference between getting 0-death every stock and actually having a fighting chance.

You're on Smashboards, instead of immediately calling something OP, try reading up on stuff. There's the Character Discussion Boards and the Competitive Discussion Board. Both offer a plethora of information that could heavily assist you in Smash. After that, you also have Youtube and Twitch to see how other players tackle different situations. And after that, you have the /r/Smashbros, /r/CrazyHand, and /r/BowserMains subreddits.

You have a lot of things to better your gameplay.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
And if you're not a jerk?
Sorry I meant R.O.B. main.
Boy, I must be a huge jerk then since I main ROB.

If you're defending Mario's D-air then I can only come to two conclusions: A) You're a Mario main and you're crying someone pointed out your BS, or B) You've never played against a Mario who understood how broken the move is.
Why, and how do you even come to that conclusion? Why do you get hostile because someone not only disagrees with you, but also tries to help you? Since when does disagreeing on something character wise mean you main that character? I guess I suddenly main Mario.

It's pretty nonpunishable if you miss the one frame between his landing and his grab, or if he doesn't land with the d-air the one frame between the end of his d-air and his n-air.
Well, have you tried not punishing it then? If you can't do it then avoid it and focus on doing something else. There's nothing wrong with trying to gain a bit of distance or trying to change your tactic when it's obviously not working. Remember, you have to be able to adapt to your opponents and not to mention be willing to change up your play-style when needed. It's a basic skill to have for Smash.

So because they main a character you don't like their advice is suddenly voided? Why?

If someone is trying to help by explaining how the move works and trying to give you methods that will ultimately help you and your gameplay, why dismiss it over such silliness? Like... Seriously. That's just outrageously silly. Is my advice going to be dismissed too?

I love you for this post...

This is something you see a lot of players complain about.

"he's just spamming! all he does is those two moves! doesnt he know how to do anything else!?"

Regardless of whether that player "knows how to do anything else," the fact of the matter is, if they can beat you with such a simple, predictable tactic, why shouldnt they keep doing it? Why should they exert any extra effort if that is all thats required to win?

If I'm playing king dedede, and I notice that you cant deal with gordos, I will absolutely spam them. Mercilessly. It's not my problem if the other person is incapable of adapting or dealing with it.
Agreed.

Spamming is annoying, I can't deny that fact. It can drive a lot of people up a wall even if they win in the end. It's a poor and often silly tactic to try (especially if you try it with Robin...), but in the end you are at fault if you got beaten by it. Show them it isn't working and they'll probably stop. If they don't? Well it's a free win for you, isn't it? You could also even try to fight spam for spam if you want.

Beat them at their own game. If you'd rather not spam or can't if you're playing a certain character then again, I can't stress this enough...

Adapt
to them.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Well, have you tried not punishing it then? If you can't do it then avoid it and focus on doing something else.
inb4 "if you cant punish it, it's broken!"

Hey digiboy, wanna know a move that you actually cant punish? Little Mac's frame 1 jab. And where is he on the tier list? Thats right, the bottom. It's amazing how none of the top players have been able to exploit such an obviously broken and OP move...

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Atleast we hope it's a troll.
If not, I lost faith in this site and the Smash community.
What's next, are you going to complain that two jabs and poking a shield with Lucina's Shield Breaker instantly breaks it?

In what world is Mario's Dair unpunishable? Getting all 6 hits off on someone in the ground is really hard, and it kills fairly late even if you score the last hit. Nearly all characters in the game (well to be fair Bowser is one of the exception) can dodge the sixth hit in the air if you got hit by the other 5. The Mario Tornado deals next to no shield damage, either, so if a Mario is falling towards you with the intention of using Dair, just shield and punish.

Now, stop crying. Seriously. You're embarassing yourself beyond any reasonable measure.

The time you're spending writing these ridiculous messages and dismissing members because of the characters they may or may not main could've been spent getting better at the game, you know?

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
lke the other guy said, you don't seem willing to take advice from anyone.

take your complaints to the bowser forum, where other bowser mains are, includng many who are VASTLY better than you are.

they'll all laugh their asses off at how you're complaining calling something like mario's dair a broken move, then proceed to tell you the same things all of us have; quit being such a whiner, and get good at the game. If you aren't willing to take advice from those who are giving you all the basics you need to punish some very simple things, then go straight to the boards of the character you main, to get the same exact advice we're giving you, you won't have many excuses left then. and i highly doubt you'd have the balls to challenge many of them claiming you're just a "better bowser player and faced better marios" when its extremely unlikely that you've even been to an offline tournament before, and only faced the mediocre-noob level for glory marios, where as most of those bowsers on their forums HAVE been to offline tournaments, and faced some actual serious mains of the character's you're complaining about.

/topic

Zionaze

Smash Ace
At the end of the day. Digiboy is just another 0-2 and go home player if he keeps this up. Thanks for the 5$ I'll treat myself to a good ol burger

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I mean, atleast I hope OP learned a thing or two about the characters he claimed are "OP" from this thread.
Or maybe he doesn't take word from people who main the characters he doesn't like and will take doodly squat from this.

Furret24

Smash Master
Is this what happens when those scrubs from For Glory who intentionally lag the game make a Smashboards account?
:162:

Adamas

Smash Cadet
NNID
BackupAdamas
That's your problem; you're too ignorant to take advice from people who are trying to help you. Maybe if you spent more time with your mouth shut and your ears open, you would improve. But perhaps that's asking a bit too much out of you.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
This thread is a landmark in the studying of a scrub's mindset.
It's saltier and more absurd I could've imagined.

Also, Mario's dair is absurdly easy to escape and punish what are you talking about? All you have to do to escape it is DI outwards.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Hey the guy complained about Mario's FIREBALL of all things being too cheap and said that it needs of a nerf.
It does.

Fire burns people. Balls made of the stuff nerf gun darts have would be much safer for kids to throw around.

In all seriousness, Mario's fireball isn't that amazing, why would he think it's cheap?

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It's even a good spam projectile. Yeah, sure, if you're a Mario main, you're nervous and you need to buy yourself some time to think about what's going on, but you don't want to let that damn Cloud charge his limit, you can spam it for a bit, but it has way too much endlag for you to throw more than, I dunno, 4, in succession.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I would do more, but there are A LOT more, and I already skimmed over some stuff for characters already listed. (Like Mario's d-air have -3 landing lag frames).
Unfortunately these characters can tend to feel overpowered when playing online For Glory matches. The slight delay can make it a pain to deal with spammy characters. Try going to a local tourney or playing offline, it can really change your perspective.
Also, try playing these characters that you complained about. If you actually play them you can find out when they are open for punishment. The best way to learn how to deal with a character is to play as them for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom