• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My original fears of Nintendo balancing Smash are coming true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Everyone in this thread is a pretentious asshole.

ATs,or at least the kind of ATs being patched, are not good. The Melee competitive scene is ruined by the fact that you have to figure out all these obscure combinations of actions that magically make you do something, or you lose. What makes Smash so great to me in concept is that there's virtually no technical wall in the way of player vs player tests of skill. Why do you think special moves are activated by a direction+B instead of traditional fighting game movements? It's supposed to be about two players knowing their own abilities, and the abilities of their opponents, and reacting quickly to gain an upper hand. These patches are moving 4 towards being the first Smash game to actually do that without being bogged down by a whole bunch of bull****.

You know what happens when you let a game about reflexes and reading the situation get bogged down with obscure ATs? You get Mario Kart DS. And if you thought snaking was a good design decision, frankly, go **** yourself.

Last edited:

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
roflmao seriously reading rants from scrubby players never gets old. brawl and smash 4 suck competitively; get over it. and it's not because there's something wrong with melee like a lot of you scrubs want to pretend. ktar proved that melee is still the only watchable and competitively viable game in the series so far.(excluding project m of course)

Last edited:

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
on the contrary, the ones ranting are the ones angry with the patches. so....

brodouble

Smash Apprentice
on the contrary, the ones ranting are the ones angry with the patches. so....
no I'm talking about posts like the one above mine and the zillion others you'll see on gamefaqs/eventhubs/any discussion involving melee.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
roflmao seriously reading rants from scrubby players never gets old. brawl and smash 4 suck competitively; get over it. and it's not because there's something wrong with melee like a lot of you scrubs want to pretend. ktar proved that melee is still the only watchable and competitively viable game in the series so far.(excluding project m of course)
No, not really. You're just going around calling people scrubs for liking something different, creating hostility between Smash fanbases, and generally giving Melee players a bad name. I suggest you skedaddle before you further tarnish Melee players' image.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Have this thread reached the point where it can only be petty melee-themed replies? (i.e. Smashboard's version of Godwin's Law)
Looking at the last several posts, we may have reached critical mass.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I literally mentioned Melee once offhand please calm down. It's not like Brawl is free of this bull**** either.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
From what I see, the true imbalance to all smash games (since melee) is potency from grabs. If you can grab something (a 7 frame action OoS [on average]; most characters fastest thing) and 'win' from grabbing, then the game falls apart as risk/reward is skewed horrendously in the favour of the better grab game and the overall safety of shield. If you need to win by other means, then you can't really get away with holding shield (especially against the characters who can win by grabs).

If Diddy gets nerfed, then the next oppressive grab game character will rise (likely Sonic or Ness, both having kill throws, great damage from them and solid means of getting grabs). Rosalina no longer hard counters grab games (Luma no longer acting in rosalina grab stun), see ya unanimously considered #1 in the game. We may eventually see those abusive characters that can rely on grab games [solely] to win while still being very competent cut down and still good (Sheik), and the characters remaining with amazing grab games (Luigi, Palutena, etc) will be strong but their limits elsewhere will keep them in check (hypothetical really, I'm hoping that this game's balance won't be entirely decided on who gets the best **** out of their down throw with everything else thrown to the wayside).
I would only ever accept a nerf to downthrows if they buffed hitstun. Down throws are one of the very few reliable ways to set up real combo kills with some characters. I will agree that I'm really getting sick of the downright degenerative play from Ness/Sonic that I've been seeing a lot of. Sitting at the ledge and grabbing should not be a viable strategy. It's degenerate.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This thread is about Smash 4, Nintendo, and Patches, not previous games in the series.

If you wish to discuss older games in the series and Project M please go to their own boards. This board is for discussing Smash 3DS/Wii U specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom