• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My opinion on what happened with customs

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Why do people still think For Glory is a competitive setup? It's just a Quickstart option.

If it were a truly competitive setup, there'd be things like leaderboards or points or rankings. There's really nothing like that in matchmaking at all.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The game has it's own 1v1 ruleset. Had this been the first Smash ever, I doubt we would of even considered adding any other stages or customs. Only Miis are banned and not real characters. While the process may be whittling down the stagelist, compared to the official you're adding.
Implying the Miis are not "real" characters?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I concur with this as well, actually.

Pretty sure they're not legal in For Glory because they're reliant on customs and there'd be people abusing the "make anybody you want" options with inappropriate imagery (SCV has this in spades).

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
If by "official ruleset" you're referring to For Glory, then I hardly think that qualifies. It's a cheap and cheerful means of allowing players to engage in some semblance of a competitive environment without having to work out the complexities of an actual tournament setting. It's the budget competitive mode, and while I appreciate its existence, it's clear that it was included as a mode of secondary priority after the main game.

I can see why For Glory is so limited, of course. Sakurai's made it clear he doesn't have much time for competitive play, and arbitrating which stages are legal, which customs moves are applicable, and so forth, in an online setting would be more hassle than it's worth for he and his team. So he just offered us something approaching competitive play because it's better than nothing. But it's hardly an official ruleset.

I don't think it's fair to regard For Glory as being something in the same league as an official tournament setting. Tourneys put a lot of time and effort into drafting their rulesets, deciding what works and what doesn't, and gauging feedback from actual results. It's an ongoing process based on experiential principles. For Glory, on the other hand, is Sakurai's essentially altruistic, yet basically misinformed attempt to create something to appeal to competitive players. If Nintendo hosted an official Smash tourney and had their own particular ruleset that is to be abided by in such a scenario, then yes, I would concede your point. As it stands, I don't think you're being wholly fair to the people who actually organise and operate quasi-official tournaments.

Incidentally, can I get some citations of these "people" who think we're "adding a bunch of junk"? It's good practice to back up your statements with relevant data.
The game was balanced around FD only according to Sakurai, and it shows. Shiek and Diddy get a boost when they're already on top, Little Mac goes from lower-midish to trash, and as a more personal example, Pit vs Dark Pit is further biased to Pit. I'm sure there's more examples.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with Glory's rules, but then again I never cared about stage variety. If they wanted people to use different rules, they would of balanced the game around said rules. Kid Icarus: Uprising is a good example. At first glance, 900 points of life per team would last awhile. But then somebody comes in with a good weapon and the match is over before the 30 second mark. (Not an exaggeration, for those not in the know.) So competitive players set the Team Life Gauge to the max, 3000, to prolong matches. Some of you might be thinking this is an example of Sakurai's shoddy balancing, but it's not the case. Not only can almost every weapon OHKO or ORKO (Round, as in round of fire), Sakurai has synthesized weapons that do so. I don't remember exactly but the first one was a Samurai Blade which would still be viable today. TLDR: KIU's rules on randoms were explicitly made for casual use, so a competitive ruleset was necessary and was what the game was ultimately balanced around, and Smash lacks this.

Don't misunderstand, I appreciate what TOs do for the benefits that the rules give. But it's basically the exact same thing Smogon does. And after what Reggie said at last E3, we might be seeing another official SSB tournament, hopefully without the advertising of items and wacky stages.

You can even see it here. Check out the heated debates about stages and customs. The fact of the matter is that more casual players typically play with Glory's rules when it's serious time, and they don't like customs and different stages ultimately because they're not used to it. So basically the same arguments against them you see here.

Why do people still think For Glory is a competitive setup? It's just a Quickstart option.

If it were a truly competitive setup, there'd be things like leaderboards or points or rankings. There's really nothing like that in matchmaking at all.
That's because Sakurai doesn't like the whole "pyramid scheme" that rankings bring. And there is a matchmaking system. Haven't fought a noob in weeks.

In that they're made and not set by default, yes. Again, I have nothing against them. But they're not even counted towards the in-game challenges. (Like "Clear all-star as every character," Miis are ignored.) They're considered to be less then a full character.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
That's because Sakurai doesn't like the whole "pyramid scheme" that rankings bring. And there is a matchmaking system. Haven't fought a noob in weeks.
Anecdotes isn't evidence to there being a matchmaking system. The problem is that you have no idea about the skill of the person you're fighting.

It also doesn't take into account network latency. You don't know if your opponent has bad internet or is from the other side of the world.

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I find it extremely bemusing that this community - the same one that didn't ban obnoxiously long chain grabs and infinites in past games, and the same one that didn't (completely) ban ledgestalling - is all out in force about banning customs.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Technically, For Glory is every bit as valid 2-minute Timed with items on any stage. Both are "default". If we can all agree that the game's default settings are not good for a competitive environment, I fail to see how it's a stretch to agree that For Glory's default settings can also be bad for competition.

That's just blind luck, or confirmation bias. There's no matchmaking.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Anecdotes isn't evidence to there being a matchmaking system. The problem is that you have no idea about the skill of the person you're fighting.

It also doesn't take into account network latency. You don't know if your opponent has bad internet or is from the other side of the world.
Technically, For Glory is every bit as valid 2-minute Timed with items on any stage. Both are "default". If we can all agree that the game's default settings are not good for a competitive environment, I fail to see how it's a stretch to agree that For Glory's default settings can also be bad for competition.

That's just blind luck, or confirmation bias. There's no matchmaking.
Considering Sakurai said there was a matchmaking system in the first SSB direct, I seriously doubt this is confirmation bias.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Considering Sakurai said there was a matchmaking system in the first SSB direct, I seriously doubt this is confirmation bias.
I'm pretty sure he's saying there's a matchmaking system as in a system that makes matches, as opposed to hosting/joining. There's no skill level comparisons, advancement, or any criteria for placing two people into a match other than "they logged on at roughly the same time".

So far, all you have is anecdotal evidence, and, considering that I have anecdotal evidence that's perfectly contradictory to yours, that argument doesn't hold water.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm pretty sure he's saying there's a matchmaking system as in a system that makes matches, as opposed to hosting/joining. There's no skill level comparisons, advancement, or any criteria for placing two people into a match other than "they logged on at roughly the same time".

So far, all you have is anecdotal evidence, and, considering that I have anecdotal evidence that's perfectly contradictory to yours, that argument doesn't hold water.
Considering he had just brought up the whole "weak player vs strong player is frustrating" thing, yeah, I'm pretty sure.

How many matches have you logged? Which version? Winrate?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Considering he had just brought up the whole "weak player vs strong player is frustrating" thing, yeah, I'm pretty sure.

How many matches have you logged? Which version? Winrate?
2000+ over both versions, 70-80% win rate. I still get matched up against people that will stand there and eat a warlock punch without attempting to dodge or shield, with no visible lag. I still get matched up against people that'll 0-death me twice for dozens of games. You've presented a Null Hypothesis. It's impossible to prove, but it is possible to disprove it. I've had larger than negligible swing of bad matches, therefore, there isn't a matchmaking system based on skill.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
2000+ over both versions, 70-80% win rate. I still get matched up against people that will stand there and eat a warlock punch without attempting to dodge or shield, with no visible lag. I still get matched up against people that'll 0-death me twice for dozens of games. You've presented a Null Hypothesis. It's impossible to prove, but it is possible to disprove it. I've had larger than negligible swing of bad matches, therefore, there isn't a matchmaking system based on skill.
When do you play, and for how long? Is this all 1v1s? Do you ever play the other online modes? How often do you play with friends? Where do you live, roughly? More importantly, have you been playing recently?

Last edited:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
When do you play, and for how long? Is this all 1v1s? Do you ever play the other online modes? How often do you play with friends? Where do you live, roughly? More importantly, have you been playing recently?
Nearly every day, for about one to two hours, 95% 1v1s, occasionally foray into doubles, offline with friends weekly, southwest U.S., and yes.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nearly every day, for about one to two hours, 95% 1v1s, occasionally foray into doubles, offline with friends weekly, southwest U.S., and yes.
What time of day do you start? But from what I remember, I had the most success in finding good players 10pm to 1am on Friday through Sunday. That's basically only when I play now, actually.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Around 8PM MST
Yeah, I'm in EST. Less and less kids play as the night goes on, naturally.

Since different groups play on different days, you'll end up with people with different skill levels end up with the same matchmaking scores. I'm sure if you limited your play to just the weekends (or just keep track of the general skill level on weekends) you'd see that the matchmaking isn't as sporadic as you think.

But anyway, we're pretty far off topic.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Back on topic...

uhhh I got killed by an ability that I've basically only seen once, ban plz

NNID
Budget_Player
At first the competitive Smash community was seen as taking things away, namely stage and item bans. Now people think they're adding a bunch of junk with Customs and non-Omega stages.

The game has it's own 1v1 ruleset. Had this been the first Smash ever, I doubt we would of even considered adding any other stages or customs. Only Miis are banned and not real characters. While the process may be whittling down the stagelist, compared to the official you're adding.

I don't disagree with TOs such as yourself having more stages then the ingame rules normally allow, but it's pretty clearly just because that's what we've been doing since the start. When I ask what intermediate players think of competitive players, they tend to think of them as hypocrites with adding in the rather lopsided customs and adding all these stages but only ever playing on two, and these two being highly beneficial to the top two characters and it destroys a lower-mid tier.
I just realized you're talking about For Glory.

Let's make something clear here. For Glory is not "default competitive rules". If it were, we wouldn't have For Glory Teams be 2 minutes, team attack off. The fact is that For Glory is nothing more than a quick-and-dirty option for semi-competitive matchmaking. It drops customs, almost all stage variance, and three whole characters in order to provide a quick, streamlined experience. Using this as a template for competitive play is a recipe for disaster - if For Glory 1v1 failed in the rules department to the same degree that For Glory 2v2 did, everyone would see this.

Your claims about balance are also iffy.

The game was balanced around FD only according to Sakurai, and it shows. Shiek and Diddy get a boost when they're already on top, Little Mac goes from lower-midish to trash, and as a more personal example, Pit vs Dark Pit is further biased to Pit. I'm sure there's more examples.
For starters, I'd love to see a citation that the game was "balanced around FD only". That seems like a fairly ridiculous claim. But perhaps more to the point, FD is actually Shiek's best stage in several matchups, and can hardly be said to be bad for Diddy. It's certainly not bad for either of them. No, you know what sucks for them? Diddy hates Castle Siege. Shiek doesn't hate any stage, but gets a lot less from, say, Wuhu Island than she does from FD. Little Mac gets worse, but not unplayably so when more stages are added. His design is just overall bad.

And what about the others? Sonic is somewhere between high and top tier, and is amazing on FD. Game and Watch is low tier and hates FD. Playing against Pikachu is an absolutely miserable slog on FD (not his best stage, that'd probably be Lylat, but still very solid - he's considerably worse on BF and T&C).

And finally, Teams once again offers us the nail in the coffin for any claims of the game being balanced around the For Glory ruleset, because team attack off is completely broken. Even ignoring the obvious things like Pacman's glitch.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
In Sakurai's quote's defense, if you use "Customizations" fully, then there isn't a guarantee it's fair. I've got Quick-batter, Home Run Bat gear, and No-Flinch Smash. And due to how the system is set up, there's no way to prevent me (online) from using those instead of just the moves. And that's probably the real trick - customizations aren't really fair, but custom moves by all reasonable analysis are. (Also, they nerfed Dragon Rush in the balance patch as well).

YO what happened to Dragon Rush? D:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I just realized you're talking about For Glory.

Let's make something clear here. For Glory is not "default competitive rules". If it were, we wouldn't have For Glory Teams be 2 minutes, team attack off. The fact is that For Glory is nothing more than a quick-and-dirty option for semi-competitive matchmaking. It drops customs, almost all stage variance, and three whole characters in order to provide a quick, streamlined experience. Using this as a template for competitive play is a recipe for disaster - if For Glory 1v1 failed in the rules department to the same degree that For Glory 2v2 did, everyone would see this.

Your claims about balance are also iffy.

For starters, I'd love to see a citation that the game was "balanced around FD only". That seems like a fairly ridiculous claim. But perhaps more to the point, FD is actually Shiek's best stage in several matchups, and can hardly be said to be bad for Diddy. It's certainly not bad for either of them. No, you know what sucks for them? Diddy hates Castle Siege. Shiek doesn't hate any stage, but gets a lot less from, say, Wuhu Island than she does from FD. Little Mac gets worse, but not unplayably so when more stages are added. His design is just overall bad.

And what about the others? Sonic is somewhere between high and top tier, and is amazing on FD. Game and Watch is low tier and hates FD. Playing against Pikachu is an absolutely miserable slog on FD (not his best stage, that'd probably be Lylat, but still very solid - he's considerably worse on BF and T&C).

And finally, Teams once again offers us the nail in the coffin for any claims of the game being balanced around the For Glory ruleset, because team attack off is completely broken. Even ignoring the obvious things like Pacman's glitch.
Sakurai says Custom moves are like cheating. AKA not balanced for. Miis themselves are custom characters and lack true default moves, and aren't counted for in-game challenges. Heck, how's about that Villager thing that invalidates the bottom half of the cast? You call that balanced? Or customs in FFAs, how is it a good thing that characters with bad recoveries get good ones, invalidating their weakness?

The game was balanced around Glory's rules in general. Team attack off is to keep trolls out, and time over stock is so people aren't just waiting for the match to end. The other modes, FFA and 1v1s, are balanced for. I don't think Sakurai even considers balancing for 2v2 outside of neutering the Pika/GAW strategy.

It's in an old article... It's hard to find any article underneath all the "No more balance patches dur-hurp" junk, but I'm working on it. Surely I'm not the only one who remembers it... It was a big source of discussion awhile back, before the big Smash Direct.

Little Mac is a great example of how the game was balanced around one stage. Would we ever see a character that only works 1/10th of the time? Of course not. He'd work 100% of the time, like everybody else. The overall projectile nerf is also pretty significant evidence.

Shiek's improved matchups on FD are largely against bad 1v1 characters, and Sakurai acknowledges that every character won't be viable in 1v1s. Sonic isn't top two with FD only either.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai says Custom moves are like cheating. AKA not balanced for.
Turning on customizations enables not only custom moves, but also equipment, which is obviously imbalanced, and significantly rewards people for grinding for better equipment. Getting better customs can give people an advantage, but still no more than if they just picked Diddy.

You're just throwing out uninformed comments about Villager "invalidating half the cast" and making claims about things Sakurai has said or intended without backing them up with any evidence.

In short, you're wasting everyone's time.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
15%>11% actually, so not quite that minimal.

Splitting hairs, though.
Being fair, it was the go to move for zard til they nerfed the damage.

Now that it lost that damage there is a reason to use Flare Blitz more.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Turning on customizations enables not only custom moves, but also equipment, which is obviously imbalanced, and significantly rewards people for grinding for better equipment. Getting better customs can give people an advantage, but still no more than if they just picked Diddy.

You're just throwing out uninformed comments about Villager "invalidating half the cast" and making claims about things Sakurai has said or intended without backing them up with any evidence.

In short, you're wasting everyone's time. This thread has been seriously derailed should be locked.
Not only did he mention custom moves in specific, the grinding argument also applys to them. Or did you forget one of the biggest reasons they weren't used in a whole bunch of tournaments?

It's called hyperbole, mate. Custom Villager is an extreme matchup for many. The point is that customs didn't have much balance put into them and it just widens the gap between tiers rather then close them.

NNID
Budget_Player
This is possibly the most common Sakurai misquote. Sakurai meant that they were unbalanced in the sense that more experienced players who had more of them would have an unfair advantage. This myth needs constant debunking, and is incredibly obnoxious.

Thinkaman said:
"Sakurai said that the special move options wouldn't be balanced!"
If I had a nickle for every time Sakurai was mistranslated or misinterpreted, I'd import a Japanese 3DS with half my loot.

Half the time when Sakurai says "balance" in an interview, including in this statement made at the E3 roundtable event, he is talking not about character balance, but balancing the accessibility and complexity of the game. The actual quote was talking about online play:
"However, to ensure balance, customization will not be available in the "With Anyone" mode."

This makes sense. Customization is a feature for the most hardcore. It is not appropriate for random online players to encounter unexpected moves they might have never seen before. This is a frustrating and annoying experience for players who have not explored the game fully.
And if they weren't balanced for, why did the game's only balance patch include changes to custom moves? Dragon Rush got dropped from 15% damage to 11% damage, for example.

Miis themselves are custom characters and lack true default moves, and aren't counted for in-game challenges. Heck, how's about that Villager thing that invalidates the bottom half of the cast? You call that balanced? Or customs in FFAs, how is it a good thing that characters with bad recoveries get good ones, invalidating their weakness?
Miis may be "custom characters" but have a clearly-defined moveset and are playable in most game modes. Villager's planking has not been widely explored; to the point it has been, it shows itself as obnoxious to counter, not unbeatable. Customs in FFAs? How does that have any relevance? Characters with bad recoveries getting good ones... Um... For example? Almost every single example, there's a clear tradeoff (hell, most Little Mac players prefer the default moves, rather than the upB that grants him a better recovery, and numerous characters give up a good recovery for a worse one, such as DK and Wii Fit Trainer). Everything you're saying makes no sense.

The game was balanced around Glory's rules in general.
And yet overall balance and playability is still somehow better with Customs, Miis, and numerous stages. How did that happen? Either Sakurai is so awful at balancing his game that we shouldn't pay any attention to what he has to say, or your stipulation is simply wrong.

Team attack off is to keep trolls out, and time over stock is so people aren't just waiting for the match to end.
That's some pretty weak excuses. They do stock in 1v1, and while team attack off does keep trolls of one nature out, it lets trolls of another nature in (and anyone determined to screw you over can take all but one of your team's stocks by just SDing twice, stealing a stock, and SDing again). Additionally, I don't know if you've spent a decent amount of time playing teams with TA off, but it's stupid as all hell. Even just something as simple as two projectile spammers backing each other up is incredibly difficult to stop due to how they cover each other. It's badly balanced to the point that it completely destroys the idea that the game was balanced around For Glory.

The other modes, FFA and 1v1s, are balanced for. I don't think Sakurai even considers balancing for 2v2 outside of neutering the Pika/GAW strategy.
The fact that they addressed that alone is actually another nail in the coffin. Not only did they nerf a 2v2 strategy (meaning that they care about teams balance) but they nerfed one that does not work with team attack off!

Little Mac is a great example of how the game was balanced around one stage. Would we ever see a character that only works 1/10th of the time?
Have you seen decent Little Mac players lately? The idea that Little Mac "only works on FD" is simply wrong. He's not a good character by any stretch of the imagination, mind you, but he isn't a good character even if FD is the only legal stage. He's got a lot of stupidly hard matchups (Kirby, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, Pikachu, Shiek, Megaman, should I keep going?), all of which get better if FD is the only legal stage, but they all simply go from "you need a secondary" to "you're gonna wish you had a secondary". Some of them, like Captain Falcon, actually get worse on FD.

But beyond that, the idea that he's useless anywhere else is just hilariously wrong. Mac is capable of competing on most of the tournament viable stages. Basically, anything other than Kongo Jungle and Duck Hunt, he can do okay. Check out some of Espy's videos if you don't believe me. But even given that...

Of course not. He'd work 100% of the time, like everybody else.
...This statement is hilarious. Low tier characters always have significant problems. Remember Melee Kirby? Brawl Ganondorf? They worked 0% of the time. Because they were terrible. Mac has awful aerials, a terrible grab, terrible throws, and no recovery. The character's design is fundamentally flawed, and no amount of coddling the stagelist to get around this solves this.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Not only did he mention custom moves in specific, the grinding argument also applys to them. Or did you forget one of the biggest reasons they weren't used in a whole bunch of tournaments?

It's called hyperbole, mate. Custom Villager is an extreme matchup for many. The point is that customs didn't have much balance put into them and it just widens the gap between tiers rather then close them.
Actually, the above poster was referring to how players can grind for better equipment, not that the equipment itself is imbalanced (which is another matter entirely).

Grinding for customs will still yield the same twelve moves per character. Equipment can have a variety of secondary effects (Vampire, item equip, etc.) and alter stats in extreme ways; even with minimal changes, you can still create a character that's very slightly better in every stat. That's an objective advantage. Grinding yields equipment with greater extremes and more pronounced effects - it's in no way comparable to grinding for customs.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
And if they weren't balanced for, why did the game's only balance patch include changes to custom moves? Dragon Rush got dropped from 15% damage to 11% damage, for example.
What will guarantee that every other custom move will be balanced? The main moveset that every character has is much more likely to be balanced, obviously.

Last edited:

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
That's not quite what he said. He said he thinks that it is interesting how people can do something like cheating with customization (not custom moves specifically). Earlier, on the topic of balance, he did mention custom moves as an example of why he's not going to focus too much on balance, saying "there would be no end to it." Later, in the same sentence, he said that if there was an obvious problem, he would fix it (probably in reference to everything, but it was part of the same sentence as the custom moves statement). Furthermore, I doubt you can translate a few simple interview statements into explaining the exact balancing process that what into the game.

On FG being the standard ruleset programmed into the game: Tell me why a ruleset that does not have a listed option for it in offline mode can be the standard by which the game was balanced (the default stock number is 3 for Christ sake). Smash bros. has never been a primarily online game.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there several Nintendo run tournaments that had everything legal? Like customization and stages? Shouldn't we call the officially run tournaments the standard that we need to start from?

I think I know how this is going to turn out already so I doubt I'm going to post anymore. Good day.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I get paired up against noobs all the time. I wish Smash had good matchmaking!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This is possibly the most common Sakurai misquote. Sakurai meant that they were unbalanced in the sense that more experienced players who had more of them would have an unfair advantage. This myth needs constant debunking, and is incredibly obnoxious.

Miis may be "custom characters" but have a clearly-defined moveset and are playable in most game modes. Villager's planking has not been widely explored; to the point it has been, it shows itself as obnoxious to counter, not unbeatable. Customs in FFAs? How does that have any relevance? Characters with bad recoveries getting good ones... Um... For example? Almost every single example, there's a clear tradeoff (hell, most Little Mac players prefer the default moves, rather than the upB that grants him a better recovery, and numerous characters give up a good recovery for a worse one, such as DK and Wii Fit Trainer). Everything you're saying makes no sense.

And yet overall balance and playability is still somehow better with Customs, Miis, and numerous stages. How did that happen? Either Sakurai is so awful at balancing his game that we shouldn't pay any attention to what he has to say, or your stipulation is simply wrong.

That's some pretty weak excuses. They do stock in 1v1, and while team attack off does keep trolls of one nature out, it lets trolls of another nature in (and anyone determined to screw you over can take all but one of your team's stocks by just SDing twice, stealing a stock, and SDing again). Additionally, I don't know if you've spent a decent amount of time playing teams with TA off, but it's stupid as all hell. Even just something as simple as two projectile spammers backing each other up is incredibly difficult to stop due to how they cover each other. It's badly balanced to the point that it completely destroys the idea that the game was balanced around For Glory.

The fact that they addressed that alone is actually another nail in the coffin. Not only did they nerf a 2v2 strategy (meaning that they care about teams balance) but they nerfed one that does not work with team attack off!

Have you seen decent Little Mac players lately? The idea that Little Mac "only works on FD" is simply wrong. He's not a good character by any stretch of the imagination, mind you, but he isn't a good character even if FD is the only legal stage. He's got a lot of stupidly hard matchups (Kirby, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, Pikachu, Shiek, Megaman, should I keep going?), all of which get better if FD is the only legal stage, but they all simply go from "you need a secondary" to "you're gonna wish you had a secondary". Some of them, like Captain Falcon, actually get worse on FD.

But beyond that, the idea that he's useless anywhere else is just hilariously wrong. Mac is capable of competing on most of the tournament viable stages. Basically, anything other than Kongo Jungle and Duck Hunt, he can do okay. Check out some of Espy's videos if you don't believe me. But even given that...

...This statement is hilarious. Low tier characters always have significant problems. Remember Melee Kirby? Brawl Ganondorf? They worked 0% of the time. Because they were terrible. Mac has awful aerials, a terrible grab, terrible throws, and no recovery. The character's design is fundamentally flawed, and no amount of coddling the stagelist to get around this solves this.
That's not how I remember it. He specifically mentioned how they could be used to cheat out a little extra from a character.

Please note that the nerf to Dragon Rush makes Charizard worse as a character and he's considered to be bad in both 1v1s and FFA. Just because they told an intern to fix a few moves doesn't mean they really care about customs as a whole.

Villager's stalling is more obnoxious then anything else in the game, don't you think? And I was talking about FFAs when it comes to recoveries. Yaknow, the mode where nobody ever wants to jump off stages unless your character was designed for it. Unless people basically promise not to backstab each other to gimp the Ike/Bowser/Dorf recovering he's going to end up living forever.

That would be subjective, as would the idea that the game plays better.

Teams are randomized every round, remember? You can't even get to this OP stuff without either luck or everybody in the room picking it. Again, they never gave a damn about teams judging from how they let Pika/GAW slide in the 3DS version. Of course they're going to fix it when it's found, it's an easy fix too. Doesn't mean they care about it as much as the main modes.

Somebody forgot you can get banned for SDing intentionally.

Mac just works better overall in a FD only environment, as you said. He's more of a FFA character, ironically.

As you said, Macs matchups are actually possible in 1v1s on FD. Otherwise, he's as bad as the old low tiers in other games.

And you still haven't answered my question. Would anything you see in tournaments now have ever been considered if this was the first Smash?

Actually, the above poster was referring to how players can grind for better equipment, not that the equipment itself is imbalanced (which is another matter entirely).

Grinding for customs will still yield the same twelve moves per character. Equipment can have a variety of secondary effects (Vampire, item equip, etc.) and alter stats in extreme ways; even with minimal changes, you can still create a character that's very slightly better in every stat. That's an objective advantage. Grinding yields equipment with greater extremes and more pronounced effects - it's in no way comparable to grinding for customs.
The mechanics of equipment haven't been fully explored, but there are clear limits of what can and can't happen. They're a good deal more consistent then you'd think, and to say somebody could win an equipment tournament on grinding alone is ridiculous.

That's not quite what he said. He said he thinks that it is interesting how people can do something like cheating with customization (not custom moves specifically). Earlier, on the topic of balance, he did mention custom moves as an example of why he's not going to focus too much on balance, saying "there would be no end to it." Later, in the same sentence, he said that if there was an obvious problem, he would fix it (probably in reference to everything, but it was part of the same sentence as the custom moves statement). Furthermore, I doubt you can translate a few simple interview statements into explaining the exact balancing process that what into the game.

On FG being the standard ruleset programmed into the game: Tell me why a ruleset that does not have a listed option for it in offline mode can be the standard by which the game was balanced (the default stock number is 3 for Christ sake). Smash bros. has never been a primarily online game.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't there several Nintendo run tournaments that had everything legal? Like customization and stages? Shouldn't we call the officially run tournaments the standard that we need to start from?

I think I know how this is going to turn out already so I doubt I'm going to post anymore. Good day.
I've answered most of these questions already, multiple times. I'm not repeating myself for somebody only sticking around for one post.

It's not listed and yet it's the standard for intermediate players. Gee, I wonder if those rules being on the mode devoted to 1v1s had anything to do with it?

I get paired up against noobs all the time. I wish Smash had good matchmaking!
Play more, play at consistent times, yadda yadda. I've been over this. Even Mario Kart's VR system can be inconsistent with so many people playing, so it's clearly not the lack of a ranking system doing this.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think I had over 1500 online FG 1v1 matches. How many do I need? A million?

How would they match make anyway since win-ratio is meaningless.

Last edited:

Bjurrse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bjurrse
I prefer customs on, especially when watching tournaments. I do understand that it is hype because its fresh, but I honestly believe it will enable more characters into the meta.

I can agree that villager customs can make for boring matches, but from my standpoint it´s an adaptable situation. Atleast give people some time to fully understand how to play against it.

Heavy skullbash, a move that has recieved lots of flak...
It´s not that hard to read the move, and weren´t people annoyed by the time it took to end a stock? I find early kill moves good for the evolution of sm4sh and have yet see one that is broken enough to warrant a ban.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The mechanics of equipment haven't been fully explored, but there are clear limits of what can and can't happen. They're a good deal more consistent then you'd think, and to say somebody could win an equipment tournament on grinding alone is ridiculous.
I...I literally never said that. Where did you get that notion?

I'm refuting your assertion that customs are banned in FG because you can grind better options. To wit: you need to grind a lot to get very good equipment (unless you're exceptionally lucky), and some can only be obtained through challenges. Customs will always be the same twelve moves, they will never change or alter no matter how much you grind, and there's no variables or stat-changing ephemera there to change a character fundamentally.

Limits do indeed exist. I never suggested anything to the contrary. What I'm saying is, it's still possible to create a character with objectively better stats via equipment. Customs can change up to four moves and open up new possibilities for characters, but they don't change them at the same essential, universal performance level that equipment does. Yet they are considered part and parcel of the same category in practice, ergo Sakurai didn't want to just choose customs without equipment as a viable option online, or vice-versa.

None of this has anything to do with the actual purpose of the thread, though. It doesn't matter how things are done on FG, as it's already been aptly demonstrated that it is not an adequate representation of a competitive environment, much less how Nintendo has previously deemed to be the "proper" ruleset for tournaments.

NNID
Budget_Player
What will guarantee that every other custom move will be balanced? The main moveset that every character has is much more likely to be balanced, obviously.
There is no guarantee. There's never a guarantee. However, for the vast majority of customs we've explored so far, the balance has been on the conservative side. Out of all of the custom sets in the OSCMP, around 60% of all slots were filled with defaults. Not the 1/3rd you might expect if customs were on par with defaults, not considerably less (as you'd expect if customs were clearly not well-balanced), but most of them. Sure, there are a few breakout moves. But nothing game-breaking. The idea that the main moveset is more likely to be balanced is simply not true.

That's not how I remember it. He specifically mentioned how they could be used to cheat out a little extra from a character.
Yes, and I'm still waiting on a citation. You made this claim several times, I asked you for a citation, and you have not provided it. If I say something and I cannot back it up, you know what I do? I don't say "I'm sure it's out there somewhere", I retract my claim.

Please note that the nerf to Dragon Rush makes Charizard worse as a character and he's considered to be bad in both 1v1s and FFA. Just because they told an intern to fix a few moves doesn't mean they really care about customs as a whole.
I'm out. All that's left is one question - are you doing this on purpose? Look, my point (which, by now, I'd think would be impossible to miss, given that I've spelled it out quite explicitly) is that they actually took the balance of custom moves into consideration when they applied balance patches. This means that your claim about the game being balanced around For Glory is wrong. No ifs, no ands, no buts, you're just wrong. Your opinion is completely unjustifiable, and I am done wasting my time explaining this to you.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Heavy Skull Bash charges very quickly (and it can charge even more quickly if you use smash input), and you don't need to be right next to the target in order to deal the maximum amount of damage and knockback, so it is very powerful.

NNID
Budget_Player
Heavy Skull Bash charges very quickly (and it can charge even more quickly if you use smash input), and you don't need to be right next to the target in order to deal the maximum amount of damage and knockback, so it is very powerful.
Fox's shine in Melee had a potent semispike angle that leads to many characters just flat-out dying at zero %. What's your point?

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Fox's shine in Melee had a potent semispike angle that leads to many characters just flat-out dying at zero %. What's your point?
Just because something like that was present in one game, something that is as powerful is okay in another? Why would Fox's Reflector justify Heavy Skull Bash's power in comparison to other moves?

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I would like to point out something obvious about For Glory. For Glory not only has these various ruleset situations, but it adds massive amounts of lag (consistently several frames). This has profound balance implications; it makes every move in the game implicitly more safe on block (less time to react!), and it makes all of the faster paced characters inherently a bit weaker since all combos that require tech skill have a random chance of success (since the input window for stuff is random online due to unpredictable lag). Are we to presume Sheik's incredible combo game was balanced around lag spikes making her randomly drop combos? Offline For Glory doesn't exist so, if we presume For Glory is what the game was designed around, we must presume online lag is what the game is balanced around and that we're circumventing the design of the game by playing offline. The worst part is that we can't even play the game at all then since it was assuredly designed around Japanese connections and our much slower American internet makes it like a completely different game.

Thinkaman had a great post explaining a lot about the design of customs and how they relate to the design of the game:

http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...-edition-evo-sets.395721/page-4#post-18825375

This also explains precisely why For Glory exists and why it's not a competitive mode. It's not designed for people like us who explore the full breadth of games and seek the highest level of mastery. It's designed for people who just want to play and not think about it quite so much, and it as much as the game's design allows prioritizes simplicity over competitive depth. There's nothing wrong with people playing the game that way, and For Glory is a worthwhile mode to exist. It is, however, simply not what we're trying to do at a tournament level.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
That, however, relies on the assumption that custom moves were designed with the balance of the game in mind as much as the defaults were.

Top Bottom