• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My mom won't support Smash in my life.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
She says it's not useful. You learn nothing. You can't put it on a resume. I told her I train and she was like how can you train for a video game? *sighs* This is making me sad.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Is it a religious thing?

Just tell her you've got to be yourself, no matter what.

Even if she will not accept it, it's better to live your own life, truthfully than an unhappy lie.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Just tell her you enjoy playing games, you like competition, you wanna get better and you want to fight other people.

As long as you're doing what you're supposed to do (doing good in school, making ends meet, you know, life) and you're not doing anything weird or illegal, parents couldn't care less about what you do in your spare time. If you have your sh*t together, they leave you alone.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Well it's just that she said she won't support video games in life like I want. She honestly told me chess gains you more than video games.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
in all do respect video games dont help you in life. it used for entertaiment but the another hand when it comes to tournaments its a different story.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
The benefits are friendship, competition, learning to work with others, social skills, setting goals and achieving them, etc. This is the most social game/community I've ever been a part of because of its lack of online play. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well she's not wrong.

But it's a hobby. So, she can suck it. You play it in your spare time.

When you move out of her place, play it all day.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Well she's not wrong.
So, she can suck it.
Honestly though, there aren't too many benefits, but I've met some great people here and in my city recently I wouldn't have met otherwise. If you're going for video game design or something, knowing a lot about Smash has a niche use.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Honestly though, there aren't too many benefits, but I've met some great people here and in my city recently I wouldn't have met otherwise. If you're going for video game design or something, knowing a lot about Smash has a niche use.
and even then
game design is a WHOLE other ballfield of insanity
it is definitely not for the faint of heart or those who enjoy sleeping

trust me. it's a tricky road....

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Not to spoil it for you, but she is right in some regards.
I love competitive Smash and I love going to Smash fests and tournaments. I'm in NYC so there are a lot of fests here and on Long Island I can easily go to.
But I don't go to every thing that comes up. Usually only once a month. I have a job and that takes priority. Smash should be more of a hobby, and that's what it is to me.
So much so I don't usually have the time to "practice." This does mean I'm not the best in tournaments. In fact I almost lose immediately every time I go to one. But I still go because I like to have fun anyways and just hang out. She is right, you can't put it on a resume, and in the long run that's what matters.
Devote some time to Smash and devote time to things that really matter.

Fighting

Smash Rookie
She won't accept video games as a hobby. She says it doesn't count.
That's pretty close minded of her, tbh. Smash is like writing. If you love it, you can't just let it go. Especially if it's a positive influence on you.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
That's pretty close minded of her, tbh. Smash is like writing. If you love it, you can't just let it go. Especially if it's a positive influence on you.
It just sucks man. It's what I wanna do on the side.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Actually after doing some further thinking about this, does your mom use a microwave?

Because if she uses a microwave, oven, phone, and countless of other devices it's because people were interested in that. It's because people came together, did research and loved what they were doing. Will Smash help you build a nuclear reactor? NO, but to say it's not a hobby is insulting. There's a level of knowledge needed to play this game on a serious level, and more research needed than I don't know, taking pictures of cake or something or whatever it is people do. This community alone, this board alone is representative of people's passion for the game, which cannot be written off so easily

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Your mom is acting pretty stupid tbh.

As long as you're doing everything else you need to take care of like school, work, etc. there's nothing wrong with how you choose to enjoy your free time.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Ugh I hate when people say playing video games is a useless activity. I honestly don't see what separates something like Football from professional gaming tournaments (generally fighting games). Both activities require skill, dexterity, tactics, and all sorts of other things. The only difference I see is that one is overpopularized, while the other is generally looked down upon. Of course though, these kind of tournaments haven't been around for as long. We never know what fate the future might hold for professional gaming. It could even grow to the point where Football is at now, with everyone gathering around to watch the "Superbowl" of different games.

In terms of playing them for recreation, a lot of people are hypocritical about that since they'll usually be sitting around all day watching TV. At least gaming involves some sort of interaction (whether it be to solve puzzles, chat with friends, etc.).

SmashMac

Smash Lord
In all respects to your mom dude but it sounds like she hasn't really done the proper research on videogames. I'm not an expert on the subject of videogames but a couple of years ago in my General Psychology class I did write a paper on the psychology of video games and their pros and cons. Use it as you wish man I've attached the file. Maybe it can help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
No offense, but is all you do play video games? Keep everything in moderation.
This might be why she's worrying. If not then, whatever.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
how old are you? j/w

if you are about to live on your own then you can just tough it out until that happens

otherwise the advice given in this thread so far isnt terrible

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
have you ever suggested watching an episode of the smash documentary? that may help

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Say you win lots of money when you win tournaments, and you won't be able to not play it! (Even if it's not true!)

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Tell her it's like a board game with variety and you can play by your self, and they don't have as much restrictions. Honestly, they are as bad as board games.

D20

Smash Lord
What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy - James Paul Gee (Arizona State University)

Gaming Lives in the 21st Century - Cynthia Selfe (Ohio State University) and Gail Hawisher (University of Illinois-UC)

Don't Bother Me Mom - I'm Learning - Marc Prensky

I could go on... but you get the idea. Serious people are doing serious research on video games, child development, and education. You are learning something.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
It's either video games or music for me.
Do you play music or just listen to it? Generally a more productive hobby than honing your skills in a video game. Both of those kind of pursuits I genuinely enjoy.

Listen to the voices in this thread. Keep training and actually go out and play in a local tourney. Keep up with it even if it means you have to rebel against her word and face sanctions. Just know when to draw the line. Now that is what I call dedication.

Just keep in mind that you'd have to be a prodigy to take Smash as a career encompassing your entire life. It won't do you much even for game design. Although it does help to understand many technical things about the game you can apply to others. Otherwise, enrich yourself in school and get a job to support yourself.

Top Bottom