• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Luigi

mario-man

Smash Lord
Yeah you're new, but hey, we all were at one point.

I'd say this, keep practicing wavedashing. It is the absolute move for Luigi. Eventually, you should do it ALOT more but that's for later. Shorthop more and fastfall. It's tough to fastfall with Luigi, but you'll get it eventually. You'll begin working your way into what we call SHFFLing that's shorthop>fastfall>l-cancel. It's essential for combos. You would do an aerial attack in the middle of that. Eventually, you can hope to be like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQUhYXJbHNU

I'm not even a Luigi main. LoL
I used to be though.

coolhat

Smash Journeyman
lol at playing computers.

Well, not much I can say, you are how we all once were. You NEED to learn wding ffling and DAing just like every luigi player, try reading the guide, it will help you.

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
DISCLAIMER: Feel free to read ALL of this. I'm not a Luigi player at all. Just helping a friend.

Mingames: Otherwise, knwon as "Mine Granes" said by some certain SSBM impersonation video. Techniques like these aren't supposed to pop up fighting CPUs so, I'll just say them when you do fight a human player. Things you should really look out for are oppotunities. Mindgames are tricks that trigger your opponent to give you this oppotunity to attack, grab, etc. Because you're so new to this game, you might not thing of some mind games out of the bag. Simple mindgames are running towards your opponent and then wavedashing away. This leads you opponent to use a strong attack like a smash. A lot of the smash attacks have lag time which give you an oppotunity to do some of Luigi's hawt hawt hawt Double Aerials (DA).

Here are some mindgames you could try:
1) Go on the edge and drop down and then use your second jump to cling on again. Repeat this. This may force your opponents to charge in. With your seconds jump, you get back on that stage too, but rather attack your opponent. If your opponent is at a relatively higher damage than you most approaches won't occur. If it's the other way where you damage is higher, they will approach and punish to them or your mistakes. This is also a good tactic to lure your opponents to the ledge other than you trying to hit your oppoents.

2) Double Jumping. This means that you use both your jumps really fast, then land. It's an approach. When you're approaching your opponent, you would short hop and they will predict a SHFFL, but you use your double jump so while they are planning to SHFFL, Up B, Up Smash, or grab out of shield, your double jump will dodge that and punish them for letting their shield down with your B-air.

3) Dash Dance. This is when your run to the left and then run to the right without any "sliding momentum". It's usually camping tactic. Are you going to approach or are you going to retreat. Tap left to approach lets say and then right to retreat. Because you're running, the options of attacks at SHFFL, jump, or Wavedash. It's also for hitting your opponent, then retreating while they attack then using your approaching run to SHFFL or Smash. Link in some WD in these dash dances.

Movement: You're probably wondering. Man Luigi is such a slow runner. I was to run as fast as Captain Falcon. His wavedash is actually the same speed as Captain Falcon if it is tilted at the right angle. Because his movement is so fast, you may want to use it as your main part of moving. It works great in some mind games and sets you in a position where you are more comfortable. These are like, wavedashing to a spot away from your opponent or wavedashing on a ledge to edge hog. You shouldn't be moving with his jump, which I saw you do a lot. Though it isn't that you shouldn't use his jump, it's that you should use more Wave Dash.

Attacking: My Gosh, is all you know how to do is SHFF (No L-cancel) and FHFFL (Full Hop SHFFL)? There are more moves out there that are worth using that isn't called an aerial attack. Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use them very rarely, I'm saying that you should put more moves in your game play. Moves like grabbing which I will explain in another topic, smashes, and tilts. Smashes are good approaches because they stun your opponent well enought you get a chance to hit them again. Someone like Falco. You can down smash him until he decides to Crouch Cancel, which is where you could jab him into a grab. The forward smash is also one strong move you should look out for. It's fast, it's strong, and it needs more range. Use this with a wavedash approach. Wave dash into a smash I mean. Luigi's tilts aren't that great but usable. His up tilt helps you juggle your opponents and his forward tilt sends your opponent a fair distance away at higher damage. About his down tilt? No, don't use it.

Grabbing: Grabbing is one huge thing you're missing out on. I believe there wasn't even 1 grab in both of these videos. I remember telling me, how do you grab? Use the Z button, my friend. There are many moments when you can choose to grab. Grab using R then A, or just Z. You should use grabbing with R and A when you are shielding (with the R button) and then A (unleashes a grab attack). This is called shield grabbing. You use it when someone is SHFFLing at you. They hit you with the attack with your shield up and then there will be some delay time where you can press that A button still holding the R button for a grab. Z is the main grab button. Especially if you want to run into a grab. But when you run into a grab, there is a delay time before you can hit your feet on the groud again. So there is a skill called jump canceling which is when you run into a grab. When you press Z, press Y or X RIGHT AWAY!. This can be done viseversa but I would rather mess up with a grab lag then a messed up jump. Grabbing is also great for racking damage. Racking damage is one heck of a good reason so grab. Ever heard of chain grabs. This is where you grab your opponent and then you have a chance to grab them again. For faster fallers you should use your up throw to chain them. Slower Fallers, use your down throw. Slower fallers would be more likely to hit you out of the throw with a Neutral Air. You can also combo out of a grab. Examples include grabbing into a SHFFL, Smash, or Tilt.

Combos: The main base of combos are juggling and grabbing. You should juggle more, and to juggle you should keep your opponents up in the air. That is where they are most vulnerable (SHFFLs too). Grabbing into combos are some of Luigi's main ways of racking up damage but there are also some very cool combos this 1337 plumber can do! Luigi can't keep long combos on, but they are quite efficient.

1) Down Throw, Uptilt, Uptilt or SHFFL
2) Upthrow, SHFFL
3) Downsmash, FHFFL (Full Hop)
4) Upsmash, FHFFL
5) Jab, grab
6) Fireball, wavedash, smash/tilt/grab/SFFL
7) DAing!

Edgeguard: Like grabbing, I didn't see you edge guard you opponent (lol CPUs) when you knocked them off the stage. Rather you attempted SHFFLing them which leaded to a FHFFL or SHFF. When you knock your opponent of the stage or rather get them at a higher damage, convert your damage racking game into a knock your oppoents off the stage game. This will help you kill your opponents faster. If you have heard of this here are some techniques you should try out.

1) Wavedashing onto the ledge. Yes you may know about it already, and I see you do it. But because you have wavedashed on the ledge, there are many possibilities you can do about it. These include second jump attacking down A or B/up, left, or right/L or R/ and staying there. When your opponent has an Up B move that has a shortly timed or no hit box, you should hit the L or R button. This makes you roll. Even though you are still rolling off the ledge, the game still thinks that your are on the ledge so the opponent won't grab it. If you tilt up, then the opponent will grab the ledge, because there is less time on the ledge because the game this time knows you're off the ledge. Attacking is the same thing. Times when you want to press down are mindgames as I said or an aerial attack. Times to press A or B is when your want a suprise attack on your opponent. Do not abuse it, or else you will be punish, severly!

2) A simple jab. Time it right and it's ownage. It knocks your opponent down and they will not know what hit them. You can use it continuos of finish them off with a Ledged aerial attack.

3) Side tilt. When attacks are being charged onto from the ledge, you use this to "suprise them." Not only is the side tilt a good edgeguard, but it sends your opponent a considerable distance away and it's a pretty fast attack too.

4) Down smash into a grab, SHFFL, FHFFL, or DHFFL (Double Hop). When someone is approaching the ledge from the bottom of the stage, go for a down smash. Other then sending your opponent up, it leaves them available for an attack. If they fall down fast enough, you can go for a grab.

Projectiles: Press the Neutral B button more (Not direction just B). It helps you link up combos and is sometimes an edgeguard. This means when you shoot it, you can chase down the green fire ball and chain an attack if or if not the fireball hits. Possibly a grab because they lead off to more combo or in case your oppoents are shielding. Also this an edge guard. Let's say your opponent is jumping back on the stage, like a Ganon? Because the priority is so low try shooting it early. It shoots your oppoents down in the air and makes them fall. Because it stuns yours opponents you can use that little time to wave dash onto the ledge

Human Players: Hey Slash Molder? Because we do know eachother in real life and I do own you at Super Smash Bros, I hope you are inspired to play more and learn. Maybe we will have a career in Brawl. As of now, all you have are CPUs. CPUs and human players are. They fall for "Mine Granes" the same way. Where playing humans you fall for "Mine Granes" also does your partner. You may already know that.

Top Bottom