• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 my feelings towards mlg and the maturity of our community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I honestly think what Mars said but no one's gonna believe that so w/e. It seems lots of businesses are evil like that and will just do what benefits them. ActiveGamers promised me a contract with 250 a month since September of 2009 (almost 3k by now) and I haven't gotten a penny, Winterfest owes me 1.5k and Mango a little over 1k and SNES owes me over 1k and ADHD about 1k. At least mlg pays but they are no better honorwise except for the paying-out part.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Smash might not be making them any money, but the community could have gone out with some dignity. Even if we never had a chance at 2011, showing ourselves as a respectable community wouldn't have hurt us thats for sure. Its also disappointing to hear that MLG had to spend extra money because of the things that went down on this forum.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Smash might not be making them any money, but the community could have gone out with some dignity. Even if we never had a chance at 2011, showing ourselves as a respectable community wouldn't have hurt us thats for sure. Its also disappointing to hear that MLG had to spend extra money because of the things that went down on this forum.
I agree it sucked but remember death threats aren't something even moderators can take lightly.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I salute you Logic. I agree that this community needs to grow up. Or rather this community needs more role models to lead by example. This community has a lot of young people in it. There are a few who are much mature in how they handle situations. The MLG tournaments are very good. I also believe that there are a lot of jaded responses toward MLG with a lot of assumptions.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
as a melee player who is certainly jealous that i never got to experience my game in MLG, i'd like to say i've never gone into a brawl topic to troll or spread dissent in the brawl community

because in all honesty, melee = smash, brawl = smash, and it's a positive thing for the whole community to have huge support on the corporate level (mlgs and the like) :)

also, for everyone who unwittingly paints a stereotype of melee players as jealous and spiteful of the brawl community, there is someone on the other side saying that brawl players are unskillful or immature or whatever else. i'd like to point out that both sides of this coin are equally stupid LOL

merry christmas everybody

it's mad late and i can't sleep =0
i wish more melee players had this mentality

ADHD

Smash Hero
My opinion is this.

I am happy that Brawl is no longer on the MLG circuit. They completely took a fun game and commercialized it, making it purely business. Maybe some of the staff members cared about our happiness, and the fun that came with playing it, but as a whole, the corporation is a corporation. It wanted money.

That was the only good part about MLG picking up the circuit--the money. I only played at these events for the money. I went through a period of smash where I only cared about money. But now that it's gone, I can finally play the game because I enjoy it, and I don't have to worry about scrambling to MLG events just so I can pick up some quick cash (although most of the ones I attended I did horribly or got gayed at).

So everyone, maybe we can finally travel more to the non-MLG events that deserve huge attendance? Genesis 2, Pound 5, etc? We're still just as strong as a community as we were before the pick-up, maybe stronger.

Edit: The only thing I'm really mad about is them using me as a scapegoat for the other reasons that motivated them to drop brawl. In the interview, sundance mentions something about his son losing respect for the game after hearing that we split?

***** PLEASE.

Your son is 7 years old, and couldn't possibly understand what happened, rofl. On top of that, he acted like I cheated an entire bracket. Rich brown didn't even give a ****, and it was up to the top 3 players in the first place. I kinda hate sundance a little bit now.

joeplicate

Smash Master
i wish more melee players had this mentality
<3

i knew a bunch of brawl players before brawl came out--mikehaze has been a homie for like 3 years, futile, insomniak, a few more. i know old-school players who dropped out of melee but showed up to a socal tournament a few weeks ago--nashun, mr. x, e40, and more. i'm good friends and acquaintances with melee players who dabbled in brawl or played both games, like connor, fly amanita, eggz, and larry. i've met cool brawl players at brawl/melee events and hung out with them--havok, tyrant, richbrown, and more.

i think it's stupid to discriminate against people you know who decided to play a different game for whatever reason. as far as i can tell, the level of competition is the same--both insanely deep--and the feelings of camaraderie we feel are the same for the community of either game.

there's really just no reason for hostility on the part of either community; we're comprised of a good chunk of the same people, playing largely the same game, going to the same tournaments and enjoying the same feelings of competition and friendship.

my position is that the people who try to start hostility like that are just ignorant people in general, and not representative of the community they're from on the whole. if a brawl player calls melee stupid, it doesn't mean every brawl player thinks that, and if a melee player calls brawl stupid, then the same thing goes. keep that in mind!

it sucks that MLG dropped brawl :(
but i just wanted to give a little more perspective from a melee player looking in on the events from the outside C:

see y'all at p5/genesis2

Tesh

Smash Hero
My opinion is this.

I am happy that Brawl is no longer on the MLG circuit. They completely took a fun game and commercialized it, making it purely business. Maybe some of the staff members cared about our happiness, and the fun that came with playing it, but as a whole, the corporation is a corporation. It wanted money.

That was the only good part about MLG picking up the circuit--the money. I only played at these events for the money. I went through a period of smash where I only cared about money. But now that it's gone, I can finally play the game because I enjoy it, and I don't have to worry about scrambling to MLG events just so I can pick up some quick cash (although most of the ones I attended I did horribly or got gayed at).
Your son is 7 years old, and couldn't possibly understand what happened, rofl. On top of that, he acted like I cheated an entire bracket. Rich brown didn't even give a ****, and it was up to the top 3 players in the first place. I kinda hate sundance a little bit now
Its not like it was just some guy waiting to play the Winner of your set. It was a player that was very likely to beat M2K and win the event. He definitely had a better chance against M2K than against you. So its not like no one gets cheated when you cheat at the end of the bracket.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ps great post +100 respect points.

My opinion on the matter:::

MLG was a great opportunity. There was not enough attendance and interest to warrant continuing the tournament. The immature ****, the splitting ****, who really cares? The bottom line is they did not make enough money or enough promise to continue the Brawl circuit for next year. Who is to blame for this? Well that's hard to say.

Does MLG expect every region to travel to every MLG 1.5 months apart? I hope not, that's ridiculous. On the flipside it is impossible to deny that the players were VERY disrespectful to a company offering them THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of dollars. Being a TO I feel the disrespect pretty often, and I can only imagine MLG got it even worse.

Melee players were devastated when MLG took us off the circuit, and brawl players should be too. This was the best opportunity you will ever have as a community and it was ruined by lack of caring/attendance/responsibility etc.

This community as a whole (smash) has gone downhill since I began hosting. People used to respect TO's for doing what they do and really respect a well run tournament. It seems like Brawl tournaments are so common that people don't really care whether or not they go (even nationals). If you are into Brawl you should've been supporting MLG, period. PERIOD. People act like you are doing THEM a favor by going to their tournament rather than the organization doing a tournament FOR YOU.

MLG was the best opportunity brawl has ever - or will ever- seen/see. Anybdoy who is saying different is just trying to do some damage control. The one opportunity you had to make your game into a respected game, you ruined.

On a different note, I am sorry if our grassroots tournaments contributed to the downfall of MLG by dispersing attendance. I didn't even begin hosting tournaments until MLG for melee was done. I would work for MLG 100x before I hosted my own tournaments, because I know MLG has the supplies to get the job done.

What holds this community back is indeed the community, (the smash community, not just the brawl community).

Thank you AZ, JV, Sundance, and all the other amazing people who made Smash again possible on the MLG circuit, regardless of what became of it. It was a great opportunity and I am so sorry that our community ruined it.

I hope people will learn their lesson and have a little bit more respect in the future. Don't chase away people trying to help you, it will get you nowhere.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Thank you Anthony for actually saying what should be said. Mlg was one of my favorite tourneys of all time. So much free stuff and brawling was so much fun. For the same cost of a national, I got a ****load of free stuff at Mlg Dc and now I can never go again to another Mlg for brawl.

I would go for another Mlg brawl if it was where Dc, Raleigh, or Columbus were.

The people on the boards who bash this, have obviously never been to an Mlg...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I personally have nothing against MLG. Since they didn't accept Melee onto its circuit, it doesn't really affect me much. The thing annoying me is how ungrateful some of the Brawl community seemed about it in comparison to the attitude I think that the majority of the Melee community would have taken had Melee been taken onto the circuit instead of Brawl. Back in the Melee MLG days, the kind of things people have been saying about MLG's involvement in Smash would never have been said.
Max respect to posts such as Plank's; tell it like it is.
Its not like it was just some guy waiting to play the Winner of your set. It was a player that was very likely to beat M2K and win the event. He definitely had a better chance against M2K than against you. So its not like no one gets cheated when you cheat at the end of the bracket.
Pardon me if I'm wrong here, but is the "cheating" you're referring to the splitting that occurred and by means of a hilarious unwritten rule got both M2K and ADHD banned from MLG? lol.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
im not sure why so many people are surprised by how immature the community is

the reason why we tend to be more immature than most communities is because we're playing a Nintendo based fighting game that has an extremely young user base on the average. it is what it is; professional gamers here are rare

but really there isn't any use crying over spilt milk. mlg dropped brawl. look forward to the next dozen of crazy +250 attendance grassroot tournaments. brawl survived and grew without MLG. to the top players it's still a business; not a hobby.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I personally have nothing against MLG. Since they didn't accept Melee onto its circuit, it doesn't really affect me much. The thing annoying me is how ungrateful some of the Brawl community seemed about it in comparison to the attitude I think that the majority of the Melee community would have taken had Melee been taken onto the circuit instead of Brawl. Back in the Melee MLG days, the kind of things people have been saying about MLG's involvement in Smash would never have been said.
Max respect to posts such as Plank's; tell it like it is.

Pardon me if I'm wrong here, but is the "cheating" you're referring to the splitting that occurred and by means of a hilarious unwritten rule got both M2K and ADHD banned from MLG? lol.
It's not unwritten.

They signed a contract to not do bracket manipulation or others things while being a player for MLG, which MLG looked at what they did as such. At least this the the gist from what I read in the other thread.

Browny

Smash Hater
the hundreds of post i read by people that never attended mlg and bash it really pisses me off. i try so hard to defend the smash community when people say we are a bunch of kids and our community shouldn't be taken seriously. i try to keep people in the community when they say they are leaving because they hat the community (not the game, but the people that play it). but i can't even defend the community anymore, we are doing it to ourselves. every person that thinks its funny to "troll" the boards. every person that laughs when someone is being ignorant for laughs. every person that spreads rumors or forms uniformed opinions about events and members of the smash community. its your fault, our fault that we have taken a major step back as a community. we all need to stop tolerating and encouraging the immature behavior we see on our forums.

tl:dr
we are far worse off without mlg. they supported us financially and motivated players. if you are one of the immature people making our community look bad, i don't like you and the smash community needs to grow up and stop tolerating people like you to hopefully avoid losing opportunities like the one we have recently lost.
Yep... undeniable 100% facts right here. The bold part means the most to me, I see this problem as very major. The younger members, just like any kid on the planet, will always take sides with whatever majority is hating on a minority in order to fit in. Its not so much a case of 'if you cant beat them, join them' as it is a case of causing drama/hate because its the 'cool' thing to do and being a troll on the internet, making people angry solely for the purpose of getting them angry, is funny and makes you popular etc. People dont shun, and infact often side with the people stirring up drama and **** talking because if you dont, it will be you vs everyone else who does side with them.

Its such a typical mentality you can observe anywhere in life but it is eccentuated by the anonymity of the internet. People will say whatever inflammatory statements they want and have no repurcussions, everything is 'dont take the internet so seriously'. People just say things with the sole intention of causing drama and it just infuriates me >_<

I dont see any way how it could get better though. This is an issue there is no escape from with the sheer amount of young people in this community. I dont blame them, any young person will try hard to fit in and so be it, we've all done that. Idk maybe the people higher up, TO's and moderators etc should be the forcibly mature ones and have some foresight to stop the immaturity spreading and discourage the trolling etc by being very serious with inflammatory comments. Inbe4 free speech etc, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say it at all. If common courtesy is less important to anyone than free speech trolling, something really must be done to discourage that idea permanently.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure everyone is well aware of what benefits MLG brought, it doesnt need to be mentioned as if people disagree.

People are needlessly scapegoating the communities immaturity with regards to MLG dropping brawl for the reason behind the anger. Maybe thats true in other areas, but thats not whats going on here. With a little thought its not difficult at all to understand why people are really upset, many are just keen on ignoring the elephant in the room.

Is it understandable why MLG banned m2k and adhd? Sure, even though many of us think the rule was unclear, they were in a tough position that likely couldve been explained with proper communication. But the way they handled things afterwards was terrible. Demonize adhd/m2k and then fail to explain things/answer questions to the community? Pretty dumb. Then reopening the wound and spitting on our communities ethics while dropping us was even worse. The whole thing was very unprofessional, and elicited an understandable reaction. The fact that it even happened was part their responsibility as well, of which they would take none.

Not to say that it was the best way for the brawl community to deal with the news, but MLG certainly did the best they could to make people upset. The smash community did have some failures on our end, but MLG is not without fault and their one way finger pointing is really ********.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wtf? The front-runner only has 127 votes? We must have at least 1000 people on this forum. Everyone needs to vote us up on that poll.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
the silly part is that brawl showing up on the poll shows that it is definitely possible for Brawl to continue from a financial standpoint

otherwise i dont see why it would be on the poll to begin with

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wouldn't a throwback event have a much smaller prize?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's not unwritten.

They signed a contract to not do bracket manipulation or others things while being a player for MLG, which MLG looked at what they did as such. At least this the the gist from what I read in the other thread.
The two players did not manipulate the bracket. Unless you have video or eyewitness accounts of them strolling up to the computer and messing with it or something.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
The two players did not manipulate the bracket. Unless you have video or eyewitness accounts of them strolling up to the computer and messing with it or something.
MLG is the TO, they say they did bracket manipulation based on what they gathered via investigation, being payed, losing on purpose or something.

Doesn't matter what we think, they get to decide what constitutes as such. Also they should learn to not be open about stuff like this, if your going to do this at a national why tell people or from what I've heard make a blog about it.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
*walks in the room*

Wow it’s been a long time since I have been on smash boards. I am not known much around the tournament scene, but I was there since the day Axe appeared on the scene. Hell I was one of the reasons he came into being.

First of all blaming melee players is going to get you nowhere. Trolls are gonna troll, there have been several times where I was trolled by a brawl player but I just brushed my shoulder off. Honestly it was bound to happen because of what type of game brawl was. (not saying melee was better before any cry babies)

Sakurai himself even said brawl is not intended to be a serious game but because of the easiness of brawl new kids and failed melee players flocked to it. Melee is a old game that still has luster because of undying devotion that some melee players have. I personally walked away from the scene because of brawl because I disliked the competition. After hearing what happened with M2K, that honestly hit me hard cause I thought smashers in general had more honor than that.

Ok enough about me qqin but Mlg getting rid of brawl was something I said when Mlg first bought the site. I said that within a few years Mlg will remove Brawl because of

1. Uncompetitive Game (Meant to be)
2. Other fighting games look down on smashers in general (streetfighter, Blaze, etc)
3. Some bull**** incident (oh look what happened)

Honestly life is going to go on with or without Mlg and we just have to learn from past mistakes. Mlg maybe bring it back but I doubt it because of the new games coming out. AKA Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Gears 3. We will just have to wait until the next smash comes out and Sakurai decides to make another amazing smash bros.

(excuse the grammar I just woke up.)

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
the silly part is that brawl showing up on the poll shows that it is definitely possible for Brawl to continue from a financial standpoint

otherwise i dont see why it would be on the poll to begin with
It shows up on the poll because it's not an official MLG poll. It was created by a normal user who put Brawl on mistake and later comments that he should have put melee on instead.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
2. Other fighting games look down on smashers in general (streetfighter, Blaze, etc)
And yet the first two things had absolutely nothing to do with removing the game and the third isn't really what I would classify as "some bull**** incident" since it was more a series of incidents in addition to other factors.

In other words you don't know at all what you are talking about and your post is basically just saying that Melee is great and Brawl is bad.

After hearing what happened with M2K, that honestly hit me hard cause I thought smashers in general had more honor than that.
The rule that MLG enforced regarding M2K/ADHD came into existence because of an incident in 2006 where Ken intentionally lost to ChuDat in the Winners Finals at an MLG event because Chu was scared of facing M2K in the Losers Finals. Ken then easily beat M2K in the losers finals and Chu in the Grand finals. The rule exists and the trend of splitting/manipulating stuff started around this same time (during Melee).

Uffe

Smash Hero
so i got ***ed over 3 times :[ coulda got 2nd in 06 mlg, entered dallas maybe won, and had a job still :/

i have no idea what im going to do with my life at all now i just wanted to be a professional gamer
You are still a professional gamer in our eyes. At least I would think that's what people here believe. I don't know you very well, but what I do know about you is that you're not a quitter. You'll pull through somehow.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
so i got ***ed over 3 times :[ coulda got 2nd in 06 mlg, entered dallas maybe won, and had a job still :/

i have no idea what im going to do with my life at all now i just wanted to be a professional gamer
you make more money by selecting MetaKnight once on a Saturday night than most of us do in a month of actual work.

joeplicate

Smash Master
*walks in the room*

Wow it’s been a long time since I have been on smash boards. I am not known much around the tournament scene, but I was there since the day Axe appeared on the scene. Hell I was one of the reasons he came into being.

First of all blaming melee players is going to get you nowhere. Trolls are gonna troll, there have been several times where I was trolled by a brawl player but I just brushed my shoulder off. Honestly it was bound to happen because of what type of game brawl was. (not saying melee was better before any cry babies)

Sakurai himself even said brawl is not intended to be a serious game but because of the easiness of brawl new kids and failed melee players flocked to it. Melee is a old game that still has luster because of undying devotion that some melee players have. I personally walked away from the scene because of brawl because I disliked the competition. After hearing what happened with M2K, that honestly hit me hard cause I thought smashers in general had more honor than that.

Ok enough about me qqin but Mlg getting rid of brawl was something I said when Mlg first bought the site. I said that within a few years Mlg will remove Brawl because of

Honestly life is going to go on with or without Mlg and we just have to learn from past mistakes. Mlg maybe bring it back but I doubt it because of the new games coming out. AKA Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Gears 3. We will just have to wait until the next smash comes out and Sakurai decides to make another amazing smash bros.

(excuse the grammar I just woke up.)
this post contains:
an ineffective appeal to authority (axe)
holier-than-thou attitude
silly claims about brawl's lack of competition that have been disproven countless times, and are now looked down upon
a couple "i told you so"s -- hindsight is 20-20
criticizing an event that you have little understanding of

jus' sayin *shrug*

t3h Icy

Smash Master
this post contains:
silly claims about brawl's lack of competition that have been disproven countless times, and are now looked down upon

jus' sayin *shrug*
iow BlackKnight23 is dumb.

BlackKnight23

Smash Apprentice
Eh I figured as much from the replies, gotta be so salty about it. I like brawl, just like melee more. Toon link is the ****. Like I said I was tired and just woke up and saw all the stuff that went down. Its whatever, brawl should still be in Mlg because of the amount of people that still play it.

Take it how you want to, Life will go on as it always will.

Your right, I don't know much about the scene since brawl took over. I pretty much quit cause I got bored but to see the massive blame that melee players have taken in some of the threads irrates me. It doesn't help they ****ing trolled people back. The whole situation is stupid really. I would have loved to go to Mlg for smash but I was never really able to (money, parents, etc).

4nace

Smash Ace

Not the worst thing ever. Just put as much time and energy into your career and you'll do great!

I assume you didn't plan on being a professional gamer for the rest of your life?

GOD!

Smash Ace
this post contains:

jus' sayin *shrug*
It's name dropping, not an appeal to authority.
If you're gonna rip on some1's post do it right.
I didn't know that people posting their opinions got ripped on so much. Just give someone a break if they're going to be so thoughtful about posting something. He wasn't being a douche either.
It's funny how in the community a lot of people are critical as hell. There isn't the general friendliness that other forums has, although there are many exceptions.

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
All this seems to be is Brawl players whining about MLG's decision to ax Brawl from the line-up. I have no idea what you kids are so worked up about, Melee hasn't been on MLG in years yet the scene is very strong.

Calm down, there is nothing that can be done about it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom