• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My favorite character is Link, name every move I should know if I wanna own

Housh

Smash Rookie
And I'll tell you guys if I know it...im tryin to get as good as possible

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
You already know all the "moves."

If you want to learn to use your character, watch videos. Play people online. Play good Link players and take notes.

For better intuitive control of your character, search up some Link combo videos on youtube and attempt to re-create the combo. Watch videos of Isai's Link (lol) and attempt similar setups. Practicing combos with Link will speed up the process of understanding his hitboxes, timing of moves, spacing, etc. It will give you greater control.

Being creative with Link will require that you have that good control, and experience playing with other Link players that will show you his possibilities.
Remember that Link dittos won't teach you everything though, dittos are always a very unique matchup.

Here's my personal favourite Link match ever. It's godly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJOQZgXag8

In case for some reason you don't know, I figured I wouldn't omit detailing some extra things.
Link can throw his boomerang at 3 different angles left or right. At each angle, he can either throw it lightly and slowly, or if you smash it like a smash attack, throw it far and fast.
Link can throw his bomb forward, backwards, up or down. Like the boomerang, he can either throw it lightly or quickly.

Link's boomerang has some very cool bounces off certain surfaces in the game. Learn how to use these to your advantage.
E.G. when edgeguarding, hop off the ledge backwards, smash a boomerang into the edge of the stage, causing it to bounce in an arc behind you. If this doesn't intercept your opponent, hit them with your up+b as you recover back to the stage.
Figure out more uses by throwing those badboys around.

Also, know the Link bomb recovery - if you are off-stage, pull out a bomb. Give it a *light* throw downwards (this is done most easily by taking out the bomb and keeping the joystick held down until you've thrown the bomb, so you don't accidentally smash it down). Do a back air into the bomb.
It'll give you a small boost, but it will also change your direction so you'll be unable to grab the ledge. It's mainly a desperation move when you need a little extra range to make it back to the stage, since not being able to grab the ledge means you'll be very vulnerable as soon as you land anyway.

Superstar

Smash Champion
The first hit of the UpB is strongest. After something like a utilt or certain uairs, jump at them and UpB to finish them off.

Z-Cancelling the uair is weird. It has a long duration, so Z-Cancelling after it by instinct almost every other move in the game will fail. You have to see when you are going to land, this can be a whole second after it.

Landing the uair on a platform helps end it early and continue a combo.

Housh

Smash Rookie

If you want to learn to use your character, watch videos. Play people online. Play good Link players and take notes.

For better intuitive control of your character, search up some Link combo videos on youtube and attempt to re-create the combo. Watch videos of Isai's Link (lol) and attempt similar setups. Practicing combos with Link will speed up the process of understanding his hitboxes, timing of moves, spacing, etc. It will give you greater control.

Being creative with Link will require that you have that good control, and experience playing with other Link players that will show you his possibilities.
Remember that Link dittos won't teach you everything though, dittos are always a very unique matchup.

In case for some reason you don't know, I figured I wouldn't omit detailing some extra things.
Link can throw his boomerang at 3 different angles left or right. At each angle, he can either throw it lightly and slowly, or if you smash it like a smash attack, throw it far and fast.
Link can throw his bomb forward, backwards, up or down. Like the boomerang, he can either throw it lightly or quickly.

Link's boomerang has some very cool bounces off certain surfaces in the game. Learn how to use these to your advantage.
E.G. when edgeguarding, hop off the ledge backwards, smash a boomerang into the edge of the stage, causing it to bounce in an arc behind you. If this doesn't intercept your opponent, hit them with your up+b as you recover back to the stage.

Also, know the Link bomb recovery - if you are off-stage, pull out a bomb. Give it a *light* throw downwards (this is done most easily by taking out the bomb and keeping the joystick held down until you've thrown the bomb, so you don't accidentally smash it down). Do a back air into the bomb.
It'll give you a small boost, but it will also change your direction so you'll be unable to grab the ledge. It's mainly a desperation move when you need a little extra range to make it back to the stage, since not being able to grab the ledge means you'll be very vulnerable as soon as you land anyway.[/
QUOTE]is there a youtube vid of this technique, i was tryin and i couldnt do it

Housh

Smash Rookie
Playing as Link means you really have to know your character inside and out in addition to your opponents. You can't just write moves down and go "Alright, I'm too good now."

First off, learn to Z-Cancel all your aerials. A good amount of Link's best assets are in his aerial game.
Learn combos against not just specific characters, but moves you can link together and forme large combos with.

Don't underestimate the power of your B button moves.
Out of shield Up+B is somewhat predictable, but it hurts.
Bombs are a great way to keep your opponent back and placing traps. Bomb by the edge of the stage, a present for your opponents when they try to Up+B. Link it with a Forward Smash or Down-Air.

Boomerangs you can work in several ways.
Abstract - Hitting the ground at unique angles so that it bounces awkwardly.
It's great for catch people off guard. Don't use it too much, easily predictable after awhile.

Direct/Prediction - Aim directly at them or where you think they might go.
This plays heavily into mindgames, but prediction can be your best ally.

Isai - Getting right into their face and boomeranging them.
I haven't seen many amazing Link matches, but I've only seen this done by Isai predominantly.
Short hop an attack to it or couple it with an up-aerial or u-tilt if you're on the ground.
I do this but I dont do much of it. When i go into Bomb/boomerang mode i usually become predictable then i have to stop. I still need to master it in a way that it doesnt interrupt my flow

Naki

Smash Rookie
For the bomb jump, I'd wait until you're a little bit more experienced with the game to try and do that.
It's extremely hard to pull off and most people consider it a TAS only thing (unless you're Isai.)

For the bombs and boomerang, look at how Isai does it in the video Daed posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHJOQZgXag8&fmt=18

When they try to retreat, throw a boomerang towards them. Show them that you can still hit them from far away. When they've died or are really far away, bring out a bomb and try and nail them with it or throw it in the air and let it drop on them if they're about to land with their UP+B.

When they come close, go out with swords blazing. This doesn't mean you can close range boomerang them to get a combo'd hit, you just have to be mighty careful or else you'll get punished.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
For the bomb jump, I'd wait until you're a little bit more experienced with the game to try and do that.
I agree with this first statement.

It's extremely hard to pull off and most people consider it a TAS only thing (unless you're Isai.)
However this second statement I completely disagree with. It's actually pretty easy to do.

To the OP, it's true you'll rarely need the bomb recovery, and in fact it's better if you focus on other things ATM. A good way to practice bomb recovery if you really want to is to jump off the top platform in Hyrule and do it there. You should be able to do it before you hit the ground, otherwise it won't be fast enough to help you out anyway when you're actually off the stage.

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
While this is true with all characters, it's important to keep your opponent's percentage in mind when throwing out moves. For example, at low percentages, dair can hit the opponent multiple times as you bounce around, and at higher percentages, it's an effective killing move. At mid percentages, it will do neither of these things, and you might be better off not using it depending on the situation.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
While this is true with all characters, it's important to keep your opponent's percentage in mind when throwing out moves. For example, at low percentages, dair can hit the opponent multiple times as you bounce around, and at higher percentages, it's an effective killing move. At mid percentages, it will do neither of these things, and you might be better off not using it depending on the situation.
I couldn't disagree more. When to use a move, in this case link's dair, shouldn't depend on the damage of the opponent. It's more like, if it hits the opponent and prevents you from getting hit, then, by all means, use the move!
What you're saying only limits your moveset and therefore makes you predictable.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
While this is true with all characters, it's important to keep your opponent's percentage in mind when throwing out moves.
Dair is good at ANY percentage.

However, watch your spacing near 0%, if you can't hit them twice in one dair, you might get punished.

Don't nair at 0%. Just don't do it.

Bombs and boomerangs will ideally help you slowly rack some damage. When your enemy is close often pulling out a bomb or a boomerang can be suicide because of the lag it produces, so be sure you're far away enough before using projectiles.

Other than damage-racking, the main purpose of Link's projectiles are to trap his enemy or set things up so you can get in there and deliver some hits, severely limiting the options of your opponent in terms of where they can go, how they can attack, etc.

Essentially Link is often switching from a defensive to offensive playstyle and back again on the fly.

You can also chase techs very effectively with smashed boomerangs.

Pav7300

Smash Apprentice

It'll give you a small boost, but it will also change your direction so you'll be unable to grab the ledge. It's mainly a desperation move when you need a little extra range to make it back to the stage, since not being able to grab the ledge means you'll be very vulnerable as soon as you land anyway.
When he u-airs, and nairs, does it really send the opponent back so little that you can keep comboing? Or is he just playing that Japanese Version again?

Superstar

Smash Champion
I couldn't disagree more. When to use a move, in this case link's dair, shouldn't depend on the damage of the opponent. It's more like, if it hits the opponent and prevents you from getting hit, then, by all means, use the move!
What you're saying only limits your moveset and therefore makes you predictable.
... I disagree with you both.

Especially when it comes to comboing, the damage of your opponent DOES matter. For example, at 0% do not throw out uairs unless they are a floaty. At higher percents, do not throw out usmash as you won't get the final hit and if it does they'll fly up too high.

Now, to disagree with Cryptic. Bouncing with Link's dair is LOL. Really, the only purpose is for a strong move for when they are below. You just...know when you use. It edgeguards well, decent approach [but really PLEASE don't abuse it], gets them off the edge, that stuff.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
... I disagree with you both.

Especially when it comes to comboing, the damage of your opponent DOES matter. For example, at 0% do not throw out uairs unless they are a floaty. At higher percents, do not throw out usmash as you won't get the final hit and if it does they'll fly up too high.
That's why I said the move has to "prevent you from getting hit". That includes comboing, it's a great way to protect you from getting hit... :ohwell: And I don't see a problem with using a well-placed, defensive uair at 0% (you might have to run away a bit after the hit, since it usually won't combo and the opponent will try to punish you). The move has great priority.

My point is, you shouldn't only try to throw out killing moves or combo starters. Use anything at your disposal and know how and when to use it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
There is no set of moves you need to 'know'. You have to learn how to play him yourself. You should master the Boomerang and Bomb (especially the Bomb recovery, which works on occasion), as well as memorising how far his Spin Attack goes so you can sweetspot the ledge. Past that, it's all ingenuity.

All his aerials are usable, his smashes are decent, and his grab is surprisingly versatile. Another thing you need is speed. Link has to be fast, or he'll be destroyed. A couple of more outstanding moves (as in ones you should use instinctively in given situations) are U-Tilt, D-Air and F-Air.

Superstar

Smash Champion
That's why I said the move has to "prevent you from getting hit". That includes comboing, it's a great way to protect you from getting hit... :ohwell: And I don't see a problem with using a well-placed, defensive uair at 0% (you might have to run away a bit after the hit, since it usually won't combo and the opponent will try to punish you). The move has great priority.

My point is, you shouldn't only try to throw out killing moves or combo starters. Use anything at your disposal and know how and when to use it.
I meant utilt. Uair is actually decent at low percents [but not 0%, depends on the char].

You don't need to limit, but you straight up said that throwing a move has nothing to do with the damage. It means a lot.

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
My post wasn't meant to be a prescriptive "only use certain moves at certain percentages" thing. I just wanted to make sure that our friend here was aware of the different strengths/weaknesses of various moves at different percentages. I don't play Link, so perhaps the dair was a bad example.

Better example: Jiggly's rest. :p

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
You need to do that thing where Isai makes link vs pikachu look like it's in links favor. I dunno how he does that, but god**** his link vs pikachu combos are ridiculously flashy and effective.

I dont feel like giving advice, except this. Links nair is a really safe move, and is good when you're just shorthoppin around spacing and such. It also combos wickedly because it has so little knockback. If you wanna combo with link you have to use his nair as much as you can.

Skrlx

Smash Champion

Pretty good video

Top Bottom