• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Falco / Mario vids

Adman

Smash Rookie
Just got a few vids from the ssga tournament at the university of manitoba... these vids are the winners side finals with me (Adam / Dave) and (Russel / Knee)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsO6q1TK6so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svjM5Im9UIc

The first half consists of 2 matches, the first is my Falco vs Russels Falcon, the second is my Mario vs russels Falcon, this was the first time i played him, and i'll admit i was overwhelmed having not playing anyone who played falcon like him before... and took to playing mario for the first time in a month for the sole reason of chain grabbing which was a little rusty =P Anyways would have liked more time to play against him but ya...

The second half is another 2 matches of Falco vs Falcon

I didnt upload these vids but appreciate the guy who did

...Also this is the first vid ive gotten of myself play... and it is unedited... might be worth watching just for the commentary eh?

dvt

Smash Cadet
lol u are leet.. such close matches.. i was on the edge of my seat XP

Adman

Smash Rookie
thanks... if i could have playd him again there would be alot that id do differently though... plus my falcons got better since playing him... got 3rd in that tourn... and got the match against the guy who got 2nd in that tourn uploaded today, im going to put it in a new post... my falco vs marth and my falcon vs marth... dont get a chance to play against the guy very often and need pointers lol...

Adman

Smash Rookie
hopefully will be able to get atleast one more vid like this in the tourn on the 31st... only showing how much better ive gotten since the month and a half since this was made

DaBearX

Smash Journeyman
I dont, mean to sound harsh but...

you are getting hit ALL the time, which is not a problem with a clear solution until you couple it with the fact that this guys is using 99% aerials, and the pacing of his attacks are almost always the same (as soon as he shffls 1 air he shffls another almost immediately sometimes with a jab inbetween if his spacing was off). Also he initiates his airs as soon as he leaves the ground (which makes a lot of sense for the nair, but different timings on the fair, bair, and uair--which I never saw him use--would make his air game more difficult to judge). The guy almost never grabs except shield grabs (which I guess is more reasonable against falco but I expected more against mario) and the only ground attack he uses is jab. I found him to be very predictible in these matches (not to say that he can only play in a predictible fashion but, his strategy in these shared matches is very predictible) almost to the point of boredom. He seems very direct in his style, I dont see many attempts to fake you out (granted he doesnt seem to have to fake you out to be successful).

The thing is, its not as though you arent being defensive, but it seems you are always shielding at the wrong time. I'd actually like to see you shielding less of the time but shielding (, dodging, or otherwise not getting hit by) a greater percentage of his attacks. Just try to follow the temp of his game and try to press block only when (but everytime) its apparent that you are going to get hit. If he does a running shffl at you, try wavedashing back and punishing him where he lands. Also, if you had to say where your visual focus is when you play smash, would it be, your character, your opponents character, or both and/or the space inbetween. It might be you dont see your opponents rhythm because you dont watch him (this is mere speculation). I tend to watch by oppoenent more than myself and I think it helps me punish them, although the really good players I hear tend to watch the space inbetween the characters.

Anyway, your tech skill seems pretty solid, about as good as your opponents, I think you can beat him if you play a bit more mindfully. Of course then, people seem a lot different in videos than they actually are in person most of the time.

Adman

Smash Rookie
w00t! Go constructive critism! Watching the vids i can see his patterns... and mine... but for me to be able to read someone it normally takes a few matches, cause i dont have alot of variety on who i play... but yes... i shield when im confused lol, and since im the only one i play against who uses falcon really... i was confused alot cause he did things with falcon differently and i didnt know how to look out for... i have a falcon vid in another thread

But seriously man, thanks for the help... ive already taken some steps on my faults in those matches that uve pointed out to better my whole smash game... and thanks for making ur advice so organized

Top Bottom