• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 My Experience With Smashfest New Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
Smashfest is the first demo event that I've ever attended (to my knowledge it's the first to ever happen in my state) and will probably be the last. I came an hour and thirty minutes early. I waited in line for 3 hours total, which wasn't that big of a deal to me. I thought the long wait would be worth it. When I finally got my chance to play they told me that I couldn't use the controller I had with me and had to use the Wii U Pro Controller they had. For the 4-6 minutes that I was allotted to play, I was running away from my enemies while trying to learn what buttons do what on a controller that I had never used before in my life. It's all okay though, right? I still got my awesome gold coin, right?! Well, no. Apparently, Nintendo never even sent Best Buy the gold coins that were promised to the first 70 in line. I left the building disappointed and with my legs aching. Are all demo events like this, and if so why do people even go to them or E3?

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
Dallas was similar, but I could care less about the coin. It wasn't organized very well, and Best Buy employees were shouting every 20 minutes or so trying to sell us on their Game Club program.

As far as the controller goes, it sucks, but did you really expect a Gamecube controller to be useable? They haven't even released the peripheral yet, so it's not like it was expected to be available.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
Dallas was similar, but I could care less about the coin. It wasn't organized very well, and Best Buy employees were shouting every 20 minutes or so trying to sell us on their Game Club program.

As far as the controller goes, it sucks, but did you really expect a Gamecube controller to be useable? They haven't even released the peripheral yet, so it's not like it was expected to be available.
I'm obsessed with collecting things, so the gold coin was the biggest thing for me. The controller that I brought with me was actually a Wii Classic Controller Pro and not a GameCube one. I practiced with it specifically for the event, the problem was that they wouldn't let me use it even though it was compatible. I also remember some employee's walking by and trying to sell something but I completely ignored them. :rolleyes:

kylexv

Smash Master
Didn't like the pro controller. The grab and sheild buttons should of been switched. Otherwise fine.

SDCBJR3

Smash Rookie
I had a fun time. The pro controller worked well for me.
How long did you get to play? Was it worth the wait?

Didn't like the pro controller. The grab and sheild buttons should of been switched. Otherwise fine.
Agreed. I kept grabbing instead of shielding and the other way around, and the thumb sticks were moved from where the were on the Wii Classic Controller Pro. There was nothing wrong with the controller, It's just that I had never used it before.

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
How long did you get to play? Was it worth the wait?
Unfortunately, I only got to play one match. I waited 3 and a half hours with my friends :/

All in all it wasn't worth it for me personally. If I had about two more minutes I would have been able to get a handle of the physics much better.

I didn't leave dissatisfied with the game, just frustrated at the wait.

The game itself is very fun. Videos of it don't do it justice at all. It feels like something totally new.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
I thought it was a fun experience! I got there 30 mins early, waited in line 30 and realized i had to get a move on for my trip home so i just went up to a group of kids and kindly explained my situation and they let me cut! Controller was tough to get used to but i didn't expect them to let me use my own gc controller! (you realize how long that would have taken?) And the whole coin debacle didn't upset me since wegot other smash goodies and a surprise appearance of the 3ds version to play! I also won the 2 matches I played, first with Zelda and second with Kirby!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hello, we actually have a thread dedicated to SmashFest Experiences! Feel free to post your experience there! For any questions, contact myself or another staff member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom