• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Experience in teaching my 9 year old sister how to play Sm4sh.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Back story: I knew I was going to eventually buy a Wii U for Smash but the release of Mario Kart 8 was a good enough incentive for me to become a Wii U owner. I bought Super Mario 3D World, hoping to play with my sister but it turned out to be too hard for her to play enjoyably. Teaching her how to drift in Mario Kart 8 wasn't going well either. In short, she is not a gamer, the only game she really liked so far in her life was Tiny Thief in the App store. I also bought Brawl while I waited for the Smash 3DS release and I tried teaching my sister how to play Brawl as well. She liked Kirby, because he can jump a lot, and she ended up playing like any other child, just jumping high in the air and Down-B.

Smash on the 3DS came out and I ended up buying Animal Crossing: New Leaf as well for my sister because of some buy one get one 50% deal. New Leaf was perfect for her, very casual, nothing intense, she loved it very much and naturally she was fascinated how Villager was in Smash 4. She wanted to try him out and unknowingly, teaching her Smash with Villager turned out to be extremely effective/ideal, and I'm here to share with you why.

All of Villagers standard attacks are visually distinguishable.
Villager's Fsmash=Bowling ball, Dsmash=Shovel, USmash=Fireworks, Ftilt=Umbrella, DTilt=Weed pull, UTilt=Stick.. Even the Grab looks like the most grabbiest grab in the game.
Compared to, let's say, Marth where all his moves is slashing his sword.
This makes it extremely easy to communicate and makes it easy to distinguish the properties of Tilts and Smashes. Telling kids that "Up tilt can kill as well and is faster than Up smash" and expecting them to catch on is not going to click. But with villager I can just communicate through Villagers distinguishable moves, "Bowling ball is slow but very powerful. Umbrella is quick!" "Do the stick twirl!" "Weed! Weed!" When she tried other characters, it was extremely easy for me to communicate through Villager's moves rather than X-Smashes/X-Tilts but of course now she understands what the difference between all the tilts/smashes and I don't tell her to "bowling ball."

Villager has relatively easy kill moves my sister can pull off (versus Pikachu where you have to work your ass off). She knows Backthrow and Up tilt can finish the job. She also loves Shovel to Fireworks-- Satisfying and easy to pull off combo at high percentage.

But most importantly, my sister learned to use Aerials because of Villager. You absolutely cannot expect kids to space properly with Kirby's F-air. or tell kids they should RAR Mario's B-air because it's better for approach. You just won't convince kids the importance of Aerials. But my sister LOVES to hit people with sling shot, and because of Villager's extremely kid friendly recovery, she is not afraid whatsoever to jump off the stage and turnip (which the move itself is pretty easy to hit cuz it lingers for so long)--she doesn't use Nair with as determined purpose though.
(Side note: I remember I made her only use Sling shot 4s FFA in 3D land. It's surprisingly fun to jump around and do nothing but sling shot on that side scrolling stage. Try it sometimes! No seriously try it.)

TL;DR It's easy to visualize (hence communicate) and feel the purpose of each of Villager's move.
She wins against Level 8 bots 80% of the time now. She was 50% against Level 9 bots on the 3DS. The Wii U Level 9 AI is pretty tough and seems much more sophisticatedly programmed. Keep in mind I've been training her for about over a month now. She knows how to Shield-grab, she knows her options after sending out her lloyd, she knows how to fast fall into sling shot on the ledge, she doesn't spot dodge much at all (we'll be working on that next). It's been a step by step process, mixing it up with a lot of fun FFA's and occasional 1v1's. Now she 1v1's more often, and rarely plants trees and hides behind it anymore (I have to remind her now to get the tree so she can use the axe).

My sister is now trying to find her second main (so far it's Peach or Sheik ZSS confirmed), I couldn't help but smile when my sister said, "wow I hate Villagers grab, it's so slow. And Villager's Fsmash is so short it's annoying." when she's trying out other characters.

Reddit Link

Video of her playing

_______
Link: Other things to consider when playing with kids

___
Edit: For those who are eager to start helping your kids/loved ones out, please remember nothing happens over night! Make sure you yourself know how to play Villager as well. Eventually teaching the follow options after sending out lloyd is great because you move on and focus on cool, basic strategies that is relatively easy to comprehend. (i.e. After lloyd: "do they jump over it? then you jump and sling shot. Are they shielding? Run and grab them! You can even jump and lloyd and run underneath with it and do the pot trip attack!").

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nice points. Alas, all of my friends who Smash are near my age or past the age at which learning is easier in that regard, but I'll bear it in mind if I need to teach someone who doesn't play games often in general.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I have to try this with my girlfriend..... I have been trying for two years and she still doesn't have a full grasp on things.....

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
This is hilarious and cute, but interesting to remember what it was like to interpret the characters and moves as a kid, and distinguish everything by their pretty colours and qualities rather than "F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, U-Smash" etc.

Reminds me of me and my older brother when we dove into Smash 64 way back when, where I was the kid spamming D-Special and Dash Attack as Kirby, xD. It was also funny because I loved Ness as well, but didn't know how to use his PSI Thunder properly back then, and always fell to my doom when off the stage.

Last edited:

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Ah, the magic of 9-year-old little sisters.

Mine is a total monster at Rosaluma. She's learned quickly that Luma can attack while Rosie's in a grab, and that Luma can still attack in hitstun. Even now she still sometimes ends up SDing due to remaining to devoting too much of her focus on Luma. She's picked up Dark Pit and Palu as secondaries, doing her older bro so proud :')

Good thing she isn't as scary as the OP's one is. She's held her own against level 8s, but always ends up losing 3-stock matches after a solid tie on the last stock.

Just drowned my wallet in amiibos for her. She's fallen in love with the Peach and Link amiibos, and is ridiculously excited for the Rosaluma one coming in February.

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I tried teaching my mom once...

Me: Running up and slapping people as Peach won't kill people
Mom: Can I stop playing now.
Me: *Facepalm*

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Video is up! Just recorded her right now. Sorry for moving around so much, tried to find good angle to have her and the video and her fingers all showing. Not her best play but just for proof.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Video is up! Just recorded her right now. Sorry for moving around so much, tried to find good angle to have her and the video and her fingers all showing. Not her best play but just for proof.
Dawwwwwww your sister is adorable(not in a creepy way, don't worry, I just want world domination, not little girls). It makes me wish I had a younger sibling to share my smash knowledge with... But you two must be getting quite the bond through Smash. Nothing is better than to see people bond through Smash. Keep up the good work man.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Meanwhile with my brother:
"How do I jump"
"Is this an attack?"
*Taunts over and over thinking it will do something*
"Who this?" (x25)
"Whats a "dash"?"
"YOU'RE SO MEAN! I'M OUT OF HERE!"

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
This is the sweetest topic I've ever seen on this forum.

And she's not bad either! She's very impressive for her age. Let's get her on For Glory.

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
One thing to remind people who want to try this adorable as s*** thing at home.
Children all learn differently - and boys and girls trend toward particular gendered learning styles. Note trend. (I could get into how pencil-pushers in charge of school curriculms exploit this to unfairly push girls' performance up relative to boys, but I won't)

So if you can't figure out or don't know how a particular child best learns, start with their gender. You'll be right more often than wrong. But don't use it as a crutch - figure out your own students, and tailor your lessons to them. Goes for any lesson, really.

Sorry for being so serious, I had to stop my heart exploding. <3

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Awww. It's really touching to see how knowing the character makes you enjoy the game alot more.

This is truly amazing.
P.S: Buy her a villager amiibo and let her only use it on 1v1's...
The amiibo will learn from her, and he'll learn her mistakes and you can find out what she's bad at and fix it.

Last edited:

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
I have to try this with my girlfriend..... I have been trying for two years and she still doesn't have a full grasp on things.....
Now that you mention it, I will be trying to teach my girlfriend tonight :grin:. The OP had a good idea using villager to teach all of the different moves in the game because of how distinguishable they all are. I never would've thought of that! This is a great idea for teaching newbies how to smash :4villagerf:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
That's sweet of you to teach your sister how to play the game, better than my cousins who just let me play the game and beat me until I get sick of losing and get better at the game all by myself.:glare:

FireOfExile

Smash Cadet
NNID
fireofexile
3DS FC
2363-5961-4897
That sounds really nice to have somebody try teaching you the game :) and that's pretty impressive that she caught on like that, I've been playing constantly since I was 4 or 5 and it wasn't even until this year that it occured to me every character had a Down Special. *facepalm*

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Awww. It's really touching to see how knowing the character makes you enjoy the game alot more.

This is truly amazing.
P.S: Buy her a villager amiibo and let her only use it on 1v1's...
The amiibo will learn from her, and he'll learn her mistakes and you can find out what she's bad at and fix it.
I told her when she beats level 7 bots I'll buy her an amiibo, and 2 more amiibo's when she can beat level 9 four times in a row! She has villager amiibo named Killager of course.

Now that you mention it, I will be trying to teach my girlfriend tonight :grin:. The OP had a good idea using villager to teach all of the different moves in the game because of how distinguishable they all are. I never would've thought of that! This is a great idea for teaching newbies how to smash :4villagerf:
Just remember it's still a long journey up!

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
This is hilarious and cute, but interesting to remember what it was like to interpret the characters and moves as a kid, and distinguish everything by their pretty colours and qualities rather than "F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash, U-Smash" etc.

Reminds me of me and my older brother when we dove into Smash 64 way back when, where I was the kid spamming D-Special and Dash Attack as Kirby, xD. It was also funny because I loved Ness as well, but didn't know how to use his PSI Thunder properly back then, and always fell to my doom when off the stage.
I remember when I started playing Brawl (and Smash in general). I would play as Sonic and had basically no idea what the controls were going in (I used the Nunchuk), and every once in a while I would accidentally do an F-smash and be like "Hey I got the 'Go' move!" :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
My six-year-old sister isn't that bad either. She can do whatever move you want her to, not that she will on her own. :p She understands grabbing shields and projectile camping though.

For me, I'd always explain tilts and smashes as big As and small As. She's pretty good at jumping up to hit people, but offstage...

Well, she'll recover about as well as Mac does when she plays as Peach or Pit. She gets way too nervous and presses the wrong buttons.

She's the best at Mario, but her new favorite is Palutena I think. Haven't had much of a chance to play with her.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I remember when I started playing Brawl (and Smash in general). I would play as Sonic and had basically no idea what the controls were going in (I used the Nunchuk), and every once in a while I would accidentally do an F-smash and be like "Hey I got the 'Go' move!" :p
Go! Go! Go!

XDDD

Also as a Villager main, I really like this.
It makes all the sense in the world, really.

I guess it can work with Mr.Game and Watch as well? Tho not as...color...ful....XD

My 11-year old bro is pretty decent at Brawl, tho he hasnt played in a while. Im gonna buy him Smash U for christmas.

As for my GF....she's pretty good with Rosalina, tho she tends to suicide a bit with her unpredictable upB.

Last edited:

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
lol me and my sister were playing For Fun the other day and this is what happened in Sudden Death:
Dat disrespect

UPDATE: Shiek was wayy too fast and technical for my sister and it took quite a long time tbh exploring all the characters, but we finally found her second main ZELDA! Zelda is the PERFECT speed for my sister to handle. Very contrasting play style than Villager which turned out great cuz she can really notice/understand that different characters... play very differently (More Grab dependent, "trap" based, more Jabs, less spammy Fair/Bair compared to Villager) We learned Up-B out of shield yesterday... lol oh my it's been a blast with Zelda.

Last edited:

danzibr

Smash Cadet
Hmm. My son is 4 now, getting into Smash. It'll be a bit before I really try to teach him to play, but this is good info. Now he just plays whatever he thinks looks cool and smashes the c-stick.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
It's nice to see more girls getting into Smash and competitive fighting games in general, it sometimes feels like there's a cultural divide in gaming where girls grow up thinking that fighting games aren't for them because they're not 'girly' or cute. Hopefully the newer generations will see a lot more girls duking it out and kicking ass.

PCHU

Smash Lord
It's nice to see more girls getting into Smash and competitive fighting games in general, it sometimes feels like there's a cultural divide in gaming where girls grow up thinking that fighting games aren't for them because they're not 'girly' or cute. Hopefully the newer generations will see a lot more girls duking it out and kicking ***.
It's been a lot of fun playing it with my girlfriend.
Usually, it's just me, her, her sister, and a friend all playing in a FFA, but it's really interesting to watch her.
She got the basics down way faster than I expected and she can actually play relatively well.
I can't help but wonder if she'd do better with the gamepad, though; it's infinitely better than Wiimote + Nunchuck and she'd spend less time searching for the buttons; I say all of this because I introduced her to the gamecube controller back when we played Mario Kart Wii, and over time, she began to prefer using it over the wiimote.

I've gotten to teach other people how to play, but this is the experience I recall the most of.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
I try to teach my 5 year old sister to play smash. She picks a girl character and uses it in tandem with a level 50 peach amiibo I trained for her. Ugh it's like battling myself ( I'm in middle school and battle level 7s so).

Meowser

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChronoRabbit
I'm gonna join the club of people with 9yo sisters who play Smash while I can (as she's literally having her tenth birthday tomorrow, dead serious. I bought smash 3DS for her so she can practice moar :3).
Surprisingly, villager turned her off majorly despite animal crossing being one of her favorite games. She instead turned to Peach first, then decided to main Rosaluma since Peach was too technical and Rosy "brute-force" strong. Up until last weekend she pretty much only spammed the c-stick for smash attacks and the AI simply walks into those, even on Lv9 for no apparent reason. Sadly, she absolutely hates losing to the point where she usually self-destructs when we duel and she loses a stock (even if stocks are 2-1 in her favor at that point!) so AI is the only thing we can really do in 2v2.
Last weekend however I played a bit of a reverse psychology trick on her and forced her to duel me playing Jiggs/Bowser at 200% handicap. She just spammed side smash as usual, but obviously I'm not dumb enough to walk into those like a silly lv9 AI so she had to come up with a more elaborate plan. That day, she learned that down smash actually punishes rolling, that air moves are not just for looking good while you float around and make for great engages, that fast attacks are often better than strong attacks and that defense sometimes outclasses offense. I still find it incredibly difficult to motivate her for duels against me unless I'm putting myself at a crazy disadvantage like getting oneshot constantly. I'll be damned if I can't turn her into a masochistic difficulty-fetishist like myself, though.

Top Bottom