• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Captain Falcon Has Become Too Predictable

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
I'm a Falcon main, and i'd consider myself pretty good. My only problem is that my approaches consist of the same d throw u air string over and over. I basically need some new approaches to use when my regular combos get stale. Any help is appreciated.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
It's easy to fall into this kind of habit, especially when you start to autopilot. Better players will pick up on things like this very quickly as well and you'll be forced to adapt on the fly.

But the opposite is true too. You can dash into shield and back out to feint approaches to see what you're opponent does, or even bait out commitments entirely. Mixing up between dash attack, dash -> shield, and dash grab and not falling into a habit is key.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well, honestly, we don't have much to work with besides dash grabs and dash attacks. If you can space fsmash, the pull back animation is pretty deceptive and can bait out a dropped shield. However, unless you're playing against projectiles, there's really no need to rush in. Yes you may feel like making flashy plays because you're falcon, but it doesn't really do you any good given our limited approaches. We do have some mobility. Focus on your punish game and really only feel forced to approach against heavy zoners.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Use your short hops to make your opponent guess what you're going to do next. Make them try coming to you once in a while (assuming you aren't fighting a projectile character). Throw out some tilts for spacing and use the gentleman (A, A, A).
:4falcon:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
To add on what the others said, baiting baiting baiting BAITING. Empty short jumps, dash'n'shield, dashing past them, dash and roll backwards, jumping over them... all to see what they do and react based on that.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Falcon's best moves to use when approaching or in neutral are jab, grab, SHFF nair, SHFF bair, SHFF uair, ftilt, and dash attack.

Single jab is especially great because it's so fast and has such little ending lag. You can catch rolls, spotdodges, and the start up of laggy attacks with it and then confirm into a gentleman followed up with all sorts of stuff. You can also use it to poke people's shields and then grab them.

Also another tip is you don't have to go in all the time with run up grabs or dash attacks. Sometimes it's best to wait at the other side of the stage and see what your opponent does. Try to figure out what their attack plan is and then counter it.
If they try spamming projectiles, let them spam for a bit until they go on autopilot, then catch them off guard with a run up SHFF nair into grab.
If they like to roll behind you whenever you rush at them, instead run up, but then stop when you are at around roll range and see what your opponent does. If they roll behind you at that moment, you are ready to punish with a grab or jab combo.

Z3N1TH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MadZenith
3DS FC
4399-2206-0442
Mixing up Uairs with Nairs has been good for me, especially if they expect the Uair and even if they air dodge you can usually catch the second hit of Nair.

But yeah, like others said-- jab, dash attack, dash grab, and even runup shield can be other approaches.

I personally like to be approaching most of the time, but their are some matchups where I will play patiently and wait to see what they do.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
like other people said, mix it up between dash grab, dash attack, nair, or just shield. Being unpredictable is quite important.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I'm a Falcon main, and i'd consider myself pretty good. My only problem is that my approaches consist of the same d throw u air string over and over. I basically need some new approaches to use when my regular combos get stale. Any help is appreciated.
try to approach with falling uairs and nairs. Back airs are also good for mid to late percents.

Top Bottom