• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My adventure - Backpacking EU??

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Hello guys! I'm a long time melee-player from Norway. I'm feel sort of like an adventurer at heart really. I'm in a life situation now that I work as much or as little as I wish. I'm mostly working because I'm due entering the army(navy) for a year sometime in late-march. Really wanting to do something exiting before then, I read some american in the melee-boards thinking about backpacking playing different smash-players. I thought this would be awesome to do in Europe, simply buying a interrail-ticket, railing around Europe getting housed by different European smashers. Not only playing, but experiencing new places and new people. Having fun. Am I into something highly doable here?

I haven’t quite decided if I will, that depends a lot on the response. If I would do it though, it’d be from the tournament in Stockholm 18. - 19. February, lasting probably 22 days before I’d better head back. I have been thinking out a possible route, going to Berlin through Copenhagen. Then Switzerland(or Czech/Austria), east France, Barcelona, Madris, Paris to Netherlands, maybe taking a plane back from there. Well, idk it’s still an idea, but I feel like smiling when I’m writing this down. After a slow autum, I really feel like traveling. =)

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
"I'm feel sort of like an adventurer at heart really."

So with you there. Wish I had the money (and people skills) to do something like this.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
You're welcome at my place any time.
If you need help with your travel in France, make sure to ask.

Also, what AJP said. I would like to do that if it wasn't for my job.

Nedved

Smash Apprentice
As Slhoka said, you're welcome in France.
The best you can see is Paris, Lyon and Dijon(my place, in the east of France).
If i had enough money, i would do it too.
If you can travel, don't hesitate ! :)

Wschl

Smash Apprentice
ur welcome in germany as well, even though i dont live in Berlin, but like 1,5 hours from netherlands , so could be a nice road stop for u. PM me if u are interested, ill give u details then ( id be interested in travellng to NL/paris as well, but we will see bout that)

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
AThe best you can see is Paris, Lyon and Dijon
XD thank you for us.
That's right, I guess eating Mustard is better than going to French Riviera !

Ur welcome at my place whenever u want, I live 15-20km away from Cannes.

Jeapie

Smash Journeyman
Your welcome at my place in The Netherlands in the city of Groningen.
Just let me know if you will be coming and when :)

If you only going through the south of Holland you can visit:

-Den Haag: JP, Remen, Ruyker,
-Amsterdam: Ace,TrickerL,Amsah,Faab

Hope this helped you a bit, take care!

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
If you come to the Netherlands I can show you Rotterdam, you're welcome at my house there as well (I host regular smashfests there) and if you need any travel information you can always contact me. In Holland, the big cities are Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag and Utrecht, and all of them have smashers. The most touristic place of the country that is not a city, is Keukenhof, near Lisse, check it out.

One thing: if you actually go for it and prepare and do this, you will have the experience of your life. Traveling the world is just one of the greatest things to do, and Europe has a lot of cultural diversity. Be sure to acquire some language skills though, outside of the smash community only the smaller European countries speak English very well.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Come to Lyon! I'll be your guide in the city (which is beautiful really) + you'll get to smash with a lot of people. :)

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Come to Lyon! I'll be your guide in the city (which is beautiful really) + you'll get to smash with a lot of people. :)
XD The only thing u'll visit with Tekk is his bedroom, coz he will just tie you up in a chair, put a pad in ur hands and release you only on the day u'll leave.
But I heard he's got a pretty sexy mother though.

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I'm really happy for the response I'm getting. Also getting response from the national forums, you're really encouraging me! =D

AJP: Tjenare! Both of which you can actually do something with. This trip is really a big step for me also. Never traveled all on my own, except Sweden, lol.
Slhoka: Great, I will!
Nedved/Alex21: Definitly consider Dijon, but how is that place? Never heard of. :)
Wschl: Maybe! What city/village, and what to see?
Luma: Is that an invitation or what? :awesome: What smashers live there?
BSeeD: Man, Grasse looks like a really beautyful destination really, I'll see if I'll get myself down there. Actually seen a film from there by coincidence.(Parfume, thriller)
Jeapie: Seems good, though I'm not sure if I'm going by north. Thanks for the info! :)
TrickerL: I'll let you know!
Lawrencelot: Awesome! Rotterdam sounds really good, and accessible. I'll definitly have the motivation to train some language skills before going. I really like languages actually, and using a lot of hours on trains and stations, I'll try to study much!
Tekk: Aye aye! Lyon is a must.
BseeD: Haha, I'll be knowing the Puff matchup damn well if that happends!

I'll try to get more in touch with you guys!

I'm wanting to do this more and more. I've decided more and more to really try make this trip possible. I've got less than 5 weeks to go though, lots of planning! I'm really greatful for all housing, all informations and ideas on this. I'm seeing lots of reasons doing this, meeting new great people, experience new places, self-development, adventure and of course lots of smash as well. :p I'll look a lot on the route, of course I cannot go enywhere, but I can go to many places, so I'm greatful for all invitations and info!

Blubby

Smash Apprentice
i guess we could arrange something in vienna as well, you can play against players like pasi, norm/sagl, ares, timi, kiw1 (that would be me), till.. of course we can go through the city as well, doing some sightseeing, looking forward to it, but still gotta ask the others :D

Jonas

Smash Champion
I haven’t quite decided if I will, that depends a lot on the response. If I would do it though, it’d be from the tournament in Stockholm 18. - 19. February, lasting probably 22 days before I’d better head back. I have been thinking out a possible route, going to Berlin through Copenhagen.
Then you should stop by to play with some of the Copenhagen smashers. I dunno if they can house you though, but leave a note on www.smashbros.dk, since they probably wouldn't otherwise see this.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
AJP: Tjenare! Both of which you can actually do something with. This trip is really a big step for me also. Never traveled all on my own, except Sweden, lol.
Travelling on my own isn't much of a problem. I've travelled a lot (a lot!) with my family, and I've organized most of our trips to European tournaments, plus our roadtrip before Genesis 2.
Money is the biggest problem. I almost prefer going on my own because I'm way too socially awkward with other people, but that also means I want to avoid housing, and that makes it even more expensive...

Luma

Smash Lord
ofc it was ;-)

well we do have a couple of smashers here, around 10 i'd say, there would be perfect_shadow (used to be 2nd best in germany, doc main, retired but making a comeback), milkman aka captain jenny (around top20 in germany, hosted the tournaments in berlin with me) and me + alot of brawlers who play melee aswell and some new smashers

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you're passing Rotterdam, I can definitely show you around, and you'd be more then welcome to crash at my place and play some smash etc. I saw Lawrencelot also replied, to be honest you might be better off at his place since he's a student and lives on his own and I'm still living with my parents. And he lives around 20 minutes away from me so it'd be easy to visit and stuff. Anyhow you're welcome to stay at my place as well :)

Yo, uhm you text'd me on the German Boards so I came over here to check it out.

Oh well, it depends on when you plan to visit Switzerland for your journey, to know if I could house you on that date.
I'm working full time. S:

Just text me on FB
Julius van Villard

That's just way quicker than stupid Forums.

.tea©

Smash Journeyman
Yo, you should definetly visit Vienna. Vienna is so good for sight-seeing and clubbing. I can house you for sure.

Furthermore Vienna has an active Melee scene with +20 active people and tournaments every second week. We have a lot of good players especially Pasi - who placed 4th at BEAST 1 behind Armada, Amsah and Ice. ;)

So I hope you are interested. ;)

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Austrians: Awesome, it seems fairly good to visit Vienna also then. I'm probably pretty down. :D
Julius: I will.
Luma: Oh yeah! Berlin's calling then. ;)
AJP: Oh yeah right, you went to Genesis 2. That trip seemed so good. I guess I'm really economical suited right now. When I start to study I'll probably be nearly broke quickly, so that's partly why I'm doing it now. When it comes to social needs, people are quite different. I think I'm comfortable with both going alone and with people, and both have ups and downs. I went on a short interrail-trip with 14 other great people in april by school, but that was waaay too many. On the other side I cannot go travel allmost at month without getting to know people along the way. I would turn crazy. :p
Lukah: Many smashers in Dijon it seems, I'll definitly see if I can take a stop.
Coen: Rotterdam seems great, being so close to Amsterdam. :)

I've got a possible route I've been considering. I'm gonna have to consider over and over again though. - http://g.co/maps/xryqr

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
yo :) if you for some reason want to stay near skavsta airport after the tourney in sweden i might be able to house you. Just thought i'd tell you that :)

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
Thanks JD! That website looks great!

Rocky: Probably should get quickly down the continent for all the places I ought to visit, but I'll see you at Gamers meetup!

:phone:

SolaR128

Smash Cadet
You should definitely come to dortmund, too
We have the most active melee scene in germany atm, weekly meetings and of course we have Ice :)

Askeflink

Smash Journeyman
For those wondering, I am doing this! Will buy the tickets tomorrow. I leave from Oslo 17., from Stockholm 19. or 20. this february and travel around till 12. of march, and probably fly home from Charleroi, Belgium. Some of the hardest thing about planning is actually deciding where to go. I don't wanna be all knitted up, but because of the communication with smashers, I'm trying to lay up a route that I'll stick as much as possible to.

I need to get in contact with everyone that may house me. I would be greatful if you guys can add me on Skype 'norskelink'. Tell me if you're not using Skype, and I'll send you my FB. =)

I'm trying to think up I way to cover my trip also for those interested. Probably make a blog at least I can update along the way.

BSeeD

Smash Journeyman
Nice to know :p
I'll add ur skype, but I think it'll be better to contact me via facebook, as I don"t use skype that much.
Whatever, lemme know :p

Top Bottom