• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mute City: Research Notes

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Entry the third, this time covering Mute City. As usual, all kill percents were tested in Training Mode using Mario and assume no VI or other knockback altering techniques of any sort.

I am willing to do requests for specific stages, although other people have already researched Paper Mario, Pac-Maze, and Pictochat 2. Otherwise I'll just pick what I feel like doing until I get bored.

Previously Covered:
Magicant
Unova Pokemon League

Layout:
Mute City has a total of 3 walkable surfaces. The Blue Falcon on the track makes one platform, and two others float overhead to either side. The platform on the right is a little bit wider than the one on the left and floats a little bit lower. Neither the platforms nor the Blue Falcon have grabbable edges. Players 1 and 2 start on the outside edge of the platforms while Players 3 and 4 start on the inside edges.

The other racers waiting around the Blue Falcon at the beginning of the race are not valid platforms at that time. This is only relevant in Training Mode since the countdown for the race and match coincide, but Training Mode lacks the latter.

The floating platforms move back and forth and start at their maximum distance apart. The Blue Falcon also moves around, but in response to the track itself; when on a straightaway, it tends to stay still. Additional details on the Blue Falcon's movement are provided below in the Race section.

The Omega Form of Mute City floats and has sloped edges with a flat underside. Players can fly underneath it.

Mute City has a number of hazards, some of which are tied to specific racetrack features. This means that it follows a pattern where specific hazards can only happen at specific places in the lap, although once that point in the lap is reached it is still random whether or not the hazard will manifest. A single lap takes 30 seconds to complete, and each lap is signaled by a low pitched beeping noise.

The Road:
First and most obviously, the racetrack forms a damaging floor. It deals 15% damage to anyone who lands on it and can kill Mario off the top at 104% with no VI. The base knockback at 0% is sufficient to let the victim land on top of either platform with no additional jumps.

However, the road does not extend all the way to the side blast zones. If one manages to fall off the side of the road, they will continue to fall and die via the lower blast zone. This is not a terribly common occurrence due to the overall width of the road, but in cases where the Blue Falcon strays close to the edge, it can come into play. The edge of the road cannot be grabbed.

The Race:
While racing around the track, the Blue Falcon can interact with a number of track elements that influence the battle in one way or another. It also tilts and swerves as it navigates around obstacles, altering its position on the stage relative to the two floating platforms. The effect is generally minor and comparable to the movement of the platforms themselves.

Halfway through the lap is a jump panel, which looks like a simple blue strip in the ground. The Blue Falcon usually drives around but will sometimes run over it, propelling it briefly into the air at a level slightly exceeding that of either floating platform. It returns to ground level almost immediately. If it happens to fall on top of a player, it deals 10% damage and can kill Mario off the side at 42%.

Directly following the start line is a pink energy strip that the Blue Falcon occasionally drives over. While this happens, a metal construct appears directly overhead and an energy effect appears. This metal construct is solid and serves as a temporary ceiling. It appears to be tall enough that players cannot land on its upper surface. Despite its location after the start line, the Blue Falcon has never been observed to drive over the energy strip at the immediate start of the race.

Throughout the race, the Blue Falcon can be accosted by the Fire Stingray, Golden Fox, or Wild Goose. They arrive onscreen suddenly and typically stay immediately adjacent to the Blue Falcon but can still veer left and right as the race demands. These secondary racers will not drive over the jump panel or energy strip. After a short time, one of the racers will become marked with a large yellow CHECK icon. This serves as a 3-5 second signal that the marked racer will soon leave. It can either get bumped offscreen by the primary racer and take any players with it that are still using it as a platform, or collide with the guard rail and get electrocuted and fall behind. If the latter should happen, any players on top of the racer at the time will be shocked for 12% damage, which can kill Mario off the top at 82%. The remaining racer will continue to follow all stage and race interactions outlined above, even if it is not the Blue Falcon itself.

Summary:
  • Two main platforms float overhead, one slightly wider and lower than the other.
  • Blue Falcon forms third platform.
  • No grabbable edges.
  • Single lap takes 30 seconds, new lap signaled by beeping noise.
  • Racetrack forms damaging floor, deals 15% and kills Mario at 104%.
  • Racetrack does not span entire screen, possible to fall to bottom blast zone.
  • Blue Falcon moves around as it races.
  • Jump panel at halfway point of lap, propels Blue Falcon into the air.
  • Falling Blue Falcon does 10% and kills Mario at 42%.
  • Energy strip after start line, creates temporary ceiling overhead.
  • Jump panel and energy strip may or may not come into play on any given lap.
  • Other racers can appear and race next to Blue Falcon, serve as extra platform.
  • Secondary racers do not use jump panel or energy strip.
  • Yellow CHECK icon appears over racer about to leave the screen, 3-5 second warning.
  • Departing racer sometimes collides with guard rails, electrocuting players for 12% and killing Mario at 82%.
  • If racer other than Blue Falcon remains, it follows same pattern.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Note:
Blue Falcon's jump deals damage and knockback at a low diagonal angle if you happen to be caught under it as it comes back down. I do not know the exact amount of damage caused nor the strength of the knockback.

When the CHECK! icon appears, the racer in question sometimes is electrified for a moment (signaled by the vehicle blinking yellow) before it careens offscreen after being rammed by the opposing vehicle. Any character caught standing on an electrified vehicle takes electrical damage (don't know the exact %) and suffers vertical knockback (again, dunno about kill %s).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Note:
Blue Falcon's jump deals damage and knockback at a low diagonal angle if you happen to be caught under it as it comes back down. I do not know the exact amount of damage caused nor the strength of the knockback.

When the CHECK! icon appears, the racer in question sometimes is electrified for a moment (signaled by the vehicle blinking yellow) before it careens offscreen after being rammed by the opposing vehicle. Any character caught standing on an electrified vehicle takes electrical damage (don't know the exact %) and suffers vertical knockback (again, dunno about kill %s).
Noted, and I'll look into the exact percents shortly. Kill percents depend on how quickly I get fed up with waiting for the stage to cooperate.

The electrified vehicles in particular I suspect are tied to them colliding with the railing on the racetrack itself.

EDIT: Data collected and OP updated. Cars are electrocuted when they run into the guard rail, which is one possible way they can leave the screen. (The other is being bumped off by the primary racer, if you're standing on the car at the time it just carries you offscreen with it for a KO.) It does 12% to players standing on the car at the time and kills Mario off the top at 82%. Cars falling down after running over the jump plate do 10% to players in the way and kill Mario off the side at 42%. That one was a bit tricky to test due to the small window of opportunity.

Unrelated to any of the above, has anyone else been having a devil of a time trying to use Smashboards this evening? This is the fifth time or so I've tried to edit this post and it keeps spitting out bad gateway errors.

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
I honestly haven't had enough match experience on this stage to make a proper judgment, but I think his stage's viability is definitely debatable. The adjacent racers in particular are what kinda bothers me with possibly making this stage competitively viable, as they leave and kill anyone on top of them rather quickly, so characters with long throw animations can use these platforms as suicidal KO options.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
At first I was very wary about the hazardous floor... but after pondering it, I don´t really see it being that bad. It is not that intrusive (you need to be either meteor´d or silly enough to fall on your own) and can be effectively used as a competitive mean. Meteoring someone to the ground to either kill them by floor recoil or set them up for some nasty juggling.

The rest of the hazzards sound and look harmless enough to be neglectable. I see this being a very viable counter-pick. Maybe even a neutral?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This one stage... I love it, and it's not obtrusive at all, hazards are REALLY easy to avoid, and while the lack of ledges may be sen as a problem, something worth noting is that a lot of characters in this game suffer no Freefall, making it a mean of counterpick.

Its only real issue is acceptance by the community....

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The main problem I see with this stage is that it may be too big and have major issues with campy characters.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I think the stage is great personally...but I also like the coin stage more than the paper Mario stage and think the PM stage is bad so what do I know.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Major props for doing all of these analyses. Now we can discuss these stages for real instead of basing their viability on just first impressions.

Overall, Mute City doesn't sound as bad as it initially appears. The only potential red flags I can see are the potential for suicide kills with departing cars and the lack of grabbable edges anywhere (not as much an issue as in previous games, since a lot of characters have buffed recovery and no one has tether-only recovery any more).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Major props for doing all of these analyses. Now we can discuss these stages for real instead of basing their viability on just first impressions.

Overall, Mute City doesn't sound as bad as it initially appears. The only potential red flags I can see are the potential for suicide kills with departing cars and the lack of grabbable edges anywhere (not as much an issue as in previous games, since a lot of characters have buffed recovery and no one has tether-only recovery any more).
I'm deliberately trying to stick to objective fact and not make any statements like stage X promotes Y gameplay, so there will still be a point where we need to look at videos of matches and see if it all comes together and works as a stage. Mute City is actually a good example of this since it doesn't look like most people's idea of a good stage which makes it a hard sell to most people.

There was an online tournament yesterday for basically this purpose, so we'll see how most people feel about it in the next few days I imagine.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I think the stage is great personally...but I also like the coin stage more than the paper Mario stage and think the PM stage is bad so what do I know.
The Paper Mario stage is worse than the "coin stage" in my opinion aswell but that doesn't make the coin stage any good.
Paper Mario has a crazy strong wind effect and a third form with no decent sized platforms. Golden Plains is just kind of annoying with its movement and coin gimmick.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Also, something I noticed: Luma will not be damaged by the road under just about any circumstances from what I've seen playing on this stage (haven't done specific testing though). As the road is also technically a walkable surface, Luma will recover from tumble and simply float above the road, completely unharmed, while jumping to try to get back to Rosalina. Makes getting rid of Luma a real pain since unless you have a projectile, he's basically completely safe down there.

Last edited:

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
After looking at thus stage, I'm hopeful that it could be legal. The road is still a blast zone, just a unique one that I think could develop a very interesting meta.
Also, something I noticed: Luma will not be damaged by the road under just about any circumstances from what I've seen playing on this stage (haven't done specific testing though). As the road is also technically a walkable surface, Luma will recover from tumble and simply float above the road, completely unharmed, while jumping to try to get back to Rosalina. Makes getting rid of Luma a real pain since unless you have a projectile, he's basically completely safe down there.
That's very interesting although I don't think a stage should be banned because one character is particularly good there.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
After looking at thus stage, I'm hopeful that it could be legal. The road is still a blast zone, just a unique one that I think could develop a very interesting meta.

That's very interesting although I don't think a stage should be banned because one character is particularly good there.
I wasn't suggesting a ban, just pointing out an unusual (and somewhat irritating) trait of the stage.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Would this be a bad time to admit I'm a Rosalina main? In my defense I didn't think to see if Luma was hurt by the road, so this is news to me.
I only noticed this because I was fighting a CPU Rosalina (as Pit) and went to do my usual tactic of FAiring Luma over the edge and watching it die (figuring that juggling it on the damaging floor would be about equivalent to launching it out over a pit), only to discover that instead of being juggled infinitely by the road and killed, Luma recovered and just jumped around below the platforms until either Rosalina called it back, or Rosalina ended up standing on the car(s) and Luma reached her on its own.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame because this is the best F-ZERO stage that we've gotten hazard-wise, and it's still not good enough to convince people to play on it.

I know Mute City used to be played in Melee, but I think this is at least worthy of a counterpick stage due to the [[CHECK]] warnings and constant track.

Top Bottom