• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music. Disrupting Gameplay?

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
All right. Background music is so amusing and is a staple to any game that makes it so it's no incredible boring and you don't have to rely on your music player for any sort of entertainment. Brawl does a good job of making the tunes so catchy I start to hum to them. It's like Zelda: Ocarina of Time all over again, but this has more than it's fair share of tunes that will be stuck in your head for ages to come. The Background music is just that good.

That being said, it gets in the way at times if you let it get to you. I've only played it a few times, but I swear. The Warioware level had me singing Ashely's Theme in English and Japanese followed by Mona Pizza. Meanwhile, Nana and Popo are getting Falcon Knee'd off the stage. Oh no. It does not stop there my friend.

Animal Crossing. I swear, I thought this background music was going to be easy just to fight with. NO! It has squeaking for its lyrics such as Go K.K. Rider. As I try my best to squeak along, I miss the smash ball and woops... I get shot by Zelda.

There's even more tunes from each stage that I can name that will disrupt your gaming experience because it makes you happy on the inside. (GW tune. Super Mario World Opening. Zelda in general.) What I wanted to ask is have any of you guys ever experienced this?

ConeZone

Smash Ace
man..the music is one of the things sakurai and his crew spend the most time on if you read the dojo, i mean how many people worked on the music aspect of brawl. this game has some of the most epic music compilations ever. This game would still be amazing obviously without music, but i don't find the music distracting at all.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The music is excellent. I play better when I really like the music.

Sometimes I mute the music and play with my own music + the game's sound effects.

Dreamland with Ice Cube in the background...lol

Lessthan_tom

Smash Cadet
There's a screen that allows you to change the chance of each track beiong played on each level, isn't there? Can't you set the chance for the songs you don't want to hear to 0% or something?

Patinator

Smash Champion
OMFG MUSICS ARE TOURNAMENT BANNED!1!1, 'CUS THER RANDOM N STUF

Your wait is over. :)

But anyway... Heck, I almost have this problem in Melee. D: Try turning the music down a bit in options. I mean, muting the TV with Brawl playing is just blasphemy.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I lost a tournament match on Yoshi's Island, because a Yoshi's Story song was playing. The really, really, god awful one. Which is all of them from Yoshi's Story.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
I can picture music with lyrics being a problem this time around. Because you'll get all right brained listening to the words, while your left brain is trying to control your hands to fight properly, meanwhile in a moment of extreme musical catchiness you get owned by a flying purple pikmin, which may or may not be related to the people eaters.

Talendime

Smash Ace
Well..just turn the volume down dude.. or switch off the distracting ones.

God, at least you have the game already.. I'm dying right now.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
LOL

You scrub

turn it off if it bothers you

Fucker
Whoa there, skippy. Cool it. Stupid questions don't justify being a ****.

On-Topic:

If it bothers you that much, just turn it off. Due to a constant flow of people in and out of my room, my roommate and I have developed Smash concentration that far outstrips any other kind of concentration we (don't) have. I don't know how much I'll enjoy songs with actual lyrics, but we'll see.

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I worry about that sometimes, but I don't think I'm so one-track as to let lyrical music distract me during a fighting game. (When I get into it, the music seems to go away.)

Kochi wa Mona Pizzaaaaaaaa~

lol, people in this thread are acting real butthurt or something.

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
If the music is good enough to exert that much influence on me, I'd say it's worth it.

On a related subject, Calling To The Night is going on all my created stages. XD

ThunderHero

Smash Apprentice
Music really doesnt distract me. If I dont like the song i ignor it, if I enjoy it, I find I'm able to play better. But for me its hard to find songs I dont like cause music is basicly my life

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
May be a stupid question, but it was kind of a joke thread.

I know the music can be disabled (mute button or otherwise.)

And yes, I am distracted that easily by tunes. Weee.

Seiko Shashude

Smash Cadet
Well I'd say it really dosen't get me that into the music to get distracted, But it's still very catchy. But when I'm playing I seriously never really concentrate on anything but playing the game, usually. So in general it has no effect on my gameplay. But only if me and my friends are just having a fun match, not a very competitive match, then the music will often get to me, Lol.

Top Prospect

Smash Apprentice
Based in Chicago; straight outta the Twinkie Barge
First off, why are people acting like it's a stupid question when it the person is only asking for opinions? Oh well, but as far as the question goes, I actually tend to play better with the theme if it's a theme I can get into. If I really like the theme, in whatever game, it almost feels like I play to the rhythm of it, rather than it distracting me. If I think the theme blows, then all I have now is pure concentration cuz I'm not worried about anything else.

ianlag

Smash Rookie
When I hear the music, i get better, thats what music in brawl is about. The music inspires you to fight better /o/

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
kind of a joke thread.
Oh thank god. I was about to make a big long rant about how tourney***s take everything fun out of the game.

At any rate, I think the music is one of the major reasons I'm looking forward to this game. I'm probably going to spend hours just going through the sound test and listening to all the different tracks.

darklinkjr

Smash Cadet
well yeah its catchy. but if it bothers you that much turn the music on your television down, or mute it. then put on an mp3 player. :)

or nothing at all..?

nitro_rev

Smash Cadet
yea, i've never played a game where there where lyrics, but if you are focused enough, you will be able to ignor it, and if you can't, just use my music and make sure those songs don't play and if you can't play with music in the background at all(LOL!!!!) just mute it, and if you don't want music but like the sound of links sword smackin' jiggles right across hyrule, just change your settings and have just sound FX and no music.

Top Bottom