• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Music: Concentration or a Distraction?

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
I have heard through a lot of people that music helps you do better in matches, so I want to know your opinion. Does it boost your concentration or is it a distraction? For me personally, I don't listen to music that much when I'm playing matches, but when I do it really seems to help me do better! :)

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
if you go to or watch many tourneys, some people will have iPods on listening to some kind of music. It is definitely concentration IMO. People seem to do WAY better just because the music somehow "empowers" them to do better. I think, if you listen to music that you like, you can focus more. I have seen some people IRL playing games while listening to music, and they just completely ****, man. I dont know what kind of feeling it really is, but it somehow helps. I say go for it.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
It's a mindset kind of thing. Some music helps to boost your adrenaline, others help calm you down and focus, some help you get psyched up, others help you stay down to earth. It depends on what you like and it's effect on you.

The only distraction is usually the drunk guy in the corner talking about how hawt Samus is.... ;P

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
It's a mindset kind of thing. Some music helps to boost your adrenaline, others help calm you down and focus, some help you get psyched up, others help you stay down to earth. It depends on what you like and it's effect on you.

The only distraction is usually the drunk guy in the corner talking about how hawt Samus is.... ;P
LOL :laugh: but yeah it does help your focus a lot.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Depends what kind of music actually. If it's really loud and ********, like rap or something, it distracts me.

If it's something like techno/trance or classical, it helps me.

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
I know that some musics can help you focus. I listen to Dragonforce while Lucario and I fight. It helps me get ready to beat the crap out of anything that moves. But when I want to focus again, I like listening to Crush 40.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I dunno. I figure it hurts, but no more than people talking outside the match so either way you are fine...

Commander Blizzard

Smash Apprentice
Music--most of the time--helps me concentrate, hence why I always like to keep my music up high.
Sometimes I play on a match solely for the music that plays, among other reasons. So,.....yeah..

The in-game music helps create a nice feel.
Out-of-game music can be annoying if you aren't listening to it by choice, and it throws me off, personally.
Chosen out-of-game music can help you keep your focus or attention.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Music Psychology!

Aggressive Music: Boosts adernaline, might lower defending, more offensive attacking.
Tension Music: Boosts concentration, more cautious approaching, anticipation for attack, raises chances of panic
Brawl Music: *Greatly varies*. If you like it => better performance. If you dislike it => worse performance.

It is a tool, some people would like music. some people don't want any music. It is ones preference, but it can change one's ways of playing the game.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Music definitely changes the way you play the game. First off, sometimes the music is very distracting to someone, but other times it actually helps the player. I'm sure you probably get used to it after a while too, but that's how it usually is. There are also a few things that are bad about listening to music while you play period. (Unless you're used to the music completely and it is just serving as a background noise ommiter etc.)

Most if not all songs have a beat to them, and if you are listening to the music too closely you may find yourself timing your movements to the beat of the song. That's not good, as that obviously means the music at the moment is a higher priority in your mind then the game itself.

Bottom line, use it if you like/are used to it, but if you've never tried it you probably shouldn't try it in a serious match.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Music Psychology!

Brawl Music: *Greatly varies*. If you like it => better performance. If you dislike it => worse performance.
So what effect does the DK Rap have?

I actually read somewhere on SWF that listening to music while you're practising can be a bad thing, because you may start to associate a certain level of technique with particular music, so your performance will suffer if you don't have access to that exact stuff at game time.

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
I changed all of my music selection to really intense battle music. It actually helps me a lot. In fact sometimes I choose stages just for the music on that stage, ex:Halberd, Norfair (Golden Sun Music Rocks), and Battlefield music is pretty cool too.

Music is good. :)

Da-D-Mon-109

Smash Lord
The best music for me would have to be the Boss Battles 1 Theme (which is one of the Remixes for Brawl's theme, which I also frequently listen to on my Ipod), parts of the Battlefield theme, and the Final Destination Theme.... DUDE, MY FAVORITES ARE JUST THE MAIN THEMES OF THIS GAME! OMG NO WAY! But seriously, maybe that's the best thing for you? Helps keep your mind on the game at hand if that's what you hear pulsing through your ear-drums (and with the volume of my headset, everyone elses. :p)

Coo_Too_Tim

Smash Apprentice
Doesn't really affect me but my friends like to hook up an mp3 to the tv and listen to the music through the tv. I think it actually works against me sometimes by helping my opponents...

BombermanFanatic

Smash Cadet
It can be a simple matter of association. People who train and learn while they are listening to certain music. is they are listening to that music, it will jar their memories, as they associated their best playstyle with that music. It's not necessary, but it can help. That along with the fact that certain sounds and music can have affects on the mind.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I'll listen to music while I'm playing on WiFi. It doesn't matter (read: it matters much less) how alert I am when it comes to WiFi.

Otherwise, no music.

Ange

Smash Lord
I always listen to the game itself, nothing else.

If Im not hearing the music and sounds thats coming from the game, I cant really stay focused.

To me, hearing specific sounds when you play is important, that way you will stay more alert to incoming objects/attacks/projectiles and what not.

Allyssa

Smash Rookie
tThe music doesn't bother me, it's just the background noise of other players waiting to play screaming "Kill Allyssa! She's not good enough for a srs fighting game!!!!111!1!1!"

Vanst

Smash Apprentice
Music Psychology!

Aggressive Music: Boosts adernaline, might lower defending, more offensive attacking.
Tension Music: Boosts concentration, more cautious approaching, anticipation for attack, raises chances of panic

It is a tool, some people would like music. some people don't want any music. It is ones preference, but it can change one's ways of playing the game.
I like how you separated the different music with playing style! A lot of players like music to help them, but other people like the game music and I'm leaning more on that side because the music goes with the game.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
tThe music doesn't bother me, it's just the background noise of other players waiting to play screaming "Kill Allyssa! She's not good enough for a srs fighting game!!!!111!1!1!"
That's sad. You should tell them to shut up. Then beat them repeatedly with Captain Falcon.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
for me

in game music
• what ever its there
my music while playing
• helps me focus distractions are almost gone
when doin homework
• both
• gets the sound of my sister and mom argueing with each other
• im constantly changing songs cuz i dont feel like listenin to a certain one

Top Bottom