• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Me? Personally my dark horse pick ever is a smiling friends character. But not Pim and Charlie, i just want either Gwimbly for the memes or Mr. Frog just because.
If we're getting Smiling Friends characters, here's my inclusion priority order.

1. Mr. Boss
  2. Charlie and Pim (I think they can get away with being a duo fighter)
  3. Mr. Frog
  4. Gwimbly (I want him to feel like a budget inclusion, even if he isn't necessarily. Brawl Wolf is the blueprint)
Of course, Alan would have to be an announcer. As would Glep. And president Jimble. And Desmond. And Shrimp. And Smormu. And the Smormu announcer. And Simon S. Salty. And the guy that wants to hang out and smoke weed and fill his belly with DIET soda and play Burnout Revenge for the PS2. And Glumblo. And 3d Squelton. That about covers it.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
The Fire Emblem equivalent would be something that qualifies as "Anime Swordsmen". (Emphasis on both Anime and Sword)
Since RWBY is off the radar (WB sold it a while ago), I don't know what they have.
they haven't sold anything yet. don't have a source on this, just stuff I've heard, but they might be keeping RWBY

Now that Multiversus is alive I'm going to bring back this very silly roster. Same format as last time, more or less.
View attachment 389766
I can immediately pinpoint Phineas and Ferb as the Adventure Time expy, even though I can reasonably understand Ducky Momo in this game.

But really, I'm starting to get worried about Winnie the Pooh's place in the roster. I know he's like the only support-class character left, but with all the Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Fox characters in here, something tells me the silly old bear's on the chopping block for sure.

Seriously, 12 out of these 27 characters are from Disney subsidiaries or those that fit the Mouse-eared mold. Only six of them come from Walt Disney Animation Studios. If MultiVersus ever gets to this point, or if it's already at this point and I didn't notice, then it would be rough.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Few quick notes:

1. Banana Guard will be free to everyone through a seven day reward calendar. Complete the Tutorial to unlock this fighter and the Lady Banana Guard skin!

2. Anyone who participated in the Open Beta can get the first new Battle Pass for free (edit: until June 11). Jason Voorhees will be in the pass, after which he will be available normally (think pre Season 10 Overwatch 2). In addition, a few other cosmetics will be given out to all Open Beta players.

3. Speaking of the pass, Gleamium will be earnable in both tiers. The Premium Pass will give enough Gleamium to buy the next pass (ala Fortnite)

4. Regarding all other currencies:
a. Character and Battle Pass tokens will not be obtainable but any you already have will carry over.
b. There are a few new currencies being added, Fighter to unlock fighters, perks to unlock perks, and prestige to unlock cosmetics. For prestige currency specifically, each cosmetic item acquired gives you this currency, which can be used to acquire Prestige cosmetics. Any cosmetics obtained in the Open Beta will automatically give out this currency. See the picture for details on acquiring each currency type. Keep in mind that with the exception of Gleamium all currencies can be obtained just by playing.

IMG_7403.jpeg

c. Gold will no longer be available. Depending on how much gold was obtained players will get exclusive cosmetics.

4. Regarding Perks, they got a massive update. Some perks were removed, reworked, or added. All perks will be reset, with any perks unlocked during the Open Beta being converted to currency. Character Mastery Levels and Tracks will also reset.

p.s. Jason is a Tank

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I guess I'm fine with levels and perks resetting. Seems more fair for the people who didn't play the beta. I hope the characters we've unlocked stay unlocked tho.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Oh right, the ugly part of F2P

Jason being free for returning players is an interesting move. I do wonder about the grind for new fighters hmmm

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Not a fan of every things that you can buy having different currencies, it's just makes thing more complex and I fear that some stuff might even harder to unlock. But I like the fact that beta players gets the first premium pass for free, it's a good reason to come back and it feels fair that they give those playes a bonus. Also Banana guard being the new tutorial character makes sense since he seems very simple and meme aside, I doubt people would have used their currency for him.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Unlocking playable characters via a battle pass, let's see how it plays out for them

Overwatch literally just got rid of that because of how bad of an idea it was.

It's a bit early to tell but they also still haven't done the fortnite thing of the Battle Pass giving you enough currency to buy the next one

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Unlocking playable characters via a battle pass, let's see how it plays out for them

Overwatch literally just got rid of that because of how bad of an idea it was.

It's a bit early to tell but they also still haven't done the fortnite thing of the Battle Pass giving you enough currency to buy the next one
1. Any characters in a Battle Pass will not be exclusive to the pass and will be available after the season ends.

2. Regarding the currency to buy the next pass, that’s exactly what the new plan is.

3. I forgot this in the initial post, the final reward in the pass is repeatable (ala Disney Speedstorm), so once you get to it you can keep earning it.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I didn't buy a battle pass the first time but if they're giving this one away and they give enough for the next then I might actually try and keep up with it this time

cashregister9

Smash Hero
1. Any characters in a Battle Pass will not be exclusive to the pass and will be available after the season ends.

2. Regarding the currency to buy the next pass, that’s exactly what the new plan is.

3. I forgot this in the initial post, the final reward in the pass is repeatable (ala Disney Speedstorm), so once you get to it you can keep earning it.
1. Overwatch's also weren't exclusive to the battle pass but it was still disliked, Although all characters were free before then unlike with multiversus so the optics aren't as bad

2. It's not a matter of getting Currency in the battle pass, it is about getting enough to keep affording Battle Passes so you theoretically only have to pay once.

3. If the final reward is the currency, then problem 2 isn't a problem anymore.

Faso115

Smash Lord
So you cant play the character during that season unless you get the BP or can u buy it separately? Cause that would suck

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
So you cant play the character during that season unless you get the BP or can u buy it separately? Cause that would suck
Based on what the blog post says, the character will only be part of the season through the premium pass. After the season, they’ll be available normally.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The Battle Pass does appear to pay for itself, the big thing is how much of a time commitment it wants you to put in to it

Sounds like the former where they become available for everyone to get afterwards

Faso115

Smash Lord
Based on what the blog post says, the character will only be part of the season through the premium pass. After the season, they’ll be available normally.
Yeeeeeeeeeah that's kinda ass if u ask me. Not different from actual DLC from fighting games.

And hope to god BP characters are not broken as hell

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing I'm kinda concerned about regarding this is that none of these currencies say that they are obtained by doing regular matches. You do get account mastery and character mastery by doing regular matches, but these obviously stall out as the EXP requirements get higher and higher. As such, you can't just grind until you unlock everyone you want, you'll eventually run out of ways to get currency. It probably won't hit me as hard since I got most of the characters I want during Beta, but still.

Edit: The fact that the final tier of the battle pass is repeatable potentially makes this less of an issue, although this will only matter for the probably very small part of the population who will finish the passes if they're as grindy as the ones in the beta. (The only battle pass I completed in Beta was the preseason one, since I was very motivated to get Cake and it wasn't as long as the others.)

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Seriously, 12 out of these 27 characters are from Disney subsidiaries or those that fit the Mouse-eared mold. Only six of them come from Walt Disney Animation Studios. If MultiVersus ever gets to this point, or if it's already at this point and I didn't notice, then it would be rough.
The way this roster works is that every series is substituted for another (Adventure Time for Phineas and Ferb, Gremlins for Indiana Jones, etc.) on paper it works fine, but there's one big issue: Disney Animated Movies don't really substitute for anything. So, as a workaround, I had Mickey fill the Scooby-Doo slot, and the Looney Toons are the "Disney Animated Canon" series. Does it make sense? Not at all, but that's why there are so few characters from WDAS.

MartianSnake

Smash Journeyman
The way this roster works is that every series is substituted for another (Adventure Time for Phineas and Ferb, Gremlins for Indiana Jones, etc.) on paper it works fine, but there's one big issue: Disney Animated Movies don't really substitute for anything. So, as a workaround, I had Mickey fill the Scooby-Doo slot, and the Looney Toons are the "Disney Animated Canon" series. Does it make sense? Not at all, but that's why there are so few characters from WDAS.
Maybe I'd split the DAC into chunks? Like one series for a few eras, another for a few more, another for a few more

Does that make sense? Idk if I worded it right

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Honestly, the biggest thing I'm hoping for for Multiversus right now is that they managed to make the battlepass grind feel reasonable, especially now that it has increased "stakes" for finishing it (you'll need to grind enough to have Gleamium for the next one to get its temporarily exclusive character.)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I can immediately pinpoint Phineas and Ferb as the Adventure Time expy, even though I can reasonably understand Ducky Momo in this game.

But really, I'm starting to get worried about Winnie the Pooh's place in the roster. I know he's like the only support-class character left, but with all the Marvel, Lucasfilm, and Fox characters in here, something tells me the silly old bear's on the chopping block for sure.

How is Pooh Bear on the chopping block? is it because of public domain? or china?

How is Pooh Bear on the chopping block? is it because of public domain? or china?
Neither of those. I just felt like there were too many acquired characters on the roster, and compared to the likes of Mickey, Donald, Simba, Elsa, and Aladdin, I feared that being marketable wouldn't cut it anymore.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I briefly played the tutorial and some matches. I wonder if i'm elligible to get Season 1 for free....

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm sorry to say, I'm not particularly fond of the way they're handling the monetization. I know it was a long shot, knowing that it's F2P, but Perks are blatantly anti-competitive if they're not an available option for everyone regardless of amount of money spent. I was hoping they'd ax them. Then there's... four entire different currencies in game? Good lord, just make the characters free and make premium and non-premium and be done with it. The fact there's a currency you're given for getting cosmetics basically incentivizes players to spend more money.

I'm sick of F2P, and I'm sick of Battle Passes; I wish this was just a regular fighting game for a set price and all further development was just DLC. We'd be free of the scummy aspects like that.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's hoping they listen to some feedback on this.

As much as I dislike what Overwatch has become and how badly Blizzard botched it, they at least eventually learned their lesson about locking brand new Heroes behind a paywall for any amount of time.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Just noticed: In the BP screenshot, Jason only goes by "Jason"

That's probably because Vorhees is part of the first movie and thus a different copyright owner.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I'd genuinely really love to have Plastic man in the game, but I fear that he's going to be skipped because he has pretty much the same gimmick than Jake. Personally I'm probably biased because I'm a big DC fans, but I actually hope we do have a few B-tier heroes. Booster gold is easily my most wanted DC heroes, more than Green Lantern or Flash. I'd also really like Constantine, Atom and Beast Boy. I also hope we got a few on non Batman and Superman vilains. Of course, Joker is awesome and I would like Lex Luthor, but others like Sinestro, Captain Boomerang, Black Manta or Mirror master would be very fun too

But yeah, the truth is people will hate those characters because "DC bad" and "not relevant" despite all the most wanted charactrs being from CN shows that stopped airing more than 10 years ago.
Those people are just wrong and will have to cope. DC's the biggest most expansive IP from Warner overall. They deserve to be the Mario of MVS.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
everyone is still available in offline mode right?
Yes. After the offline hiatus ends, accounts will be reset back to their status from before the offline hiatus began (so if you unlocked say… 10 fighters during the beta you keep those fighters).

If you mean in training and local matches, everyone was available in those even if you didn’t unlock them during the beta so the same should apply here. Also applies to perks.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Honestly besides smith i'm only expecting one extra character. Prob the witch

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
1716332998448407.png
So judging by Jason's description, he's probably going to have some kind of teleport in his moveset. It'd be pretty fitting for his character.

I do have to say, I'm slightly more excited for Smith and curious how they're going to tackle his moveset. I can imagine he'd have his gun, his kung-fu with dramatic slow-downs, that bullet dodge thing the agents can do, and some kind of cloning mechanic. Maybe a special attack where he spears the opponent with his hand, and if he K.O.'s an opponent with it, a custom animation will play where the fighter morphs into an allied Smith.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So question regarding Godzilla no one answered.

Since Legendary no longer has ties with Warner Bros. You don't think this decreases his chances of happening?

Not to be pessimistic because I really want Godzilla getting into this game.

Top Bottom