• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multishine Help?

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
I recently learned to multishine with Fox, being successful maybe 3 out of 5 times, usually getting 2 or 3 shines in. Is there any tactic or way to keep from doing a small jump in between shines?

Last edited:

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
Just keep yourself disciplined and practice, eventually the speed of it will come through.
If you want to, you could give yourself a custom control scheme to make it easier on your hands.
Because this::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCD::GCB::GCX: pisses off your fingers eventually.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Just keep yourself disciplined and practice, eventually the speed of it will come through.
If you want to, you could give yourself a custom control scheme to make it easier on your hands.
Because this::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCD::GCB::GCX::GCD::GCB::GCX: pisses off your fingers eventually.
Do you have a good optimal control scheme for waveshining that you could recommend?

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
Even though I don't usually try custom control schemes, if you bind special to Y in addtion to B and use X to jump it could theoretically make it much faster and give you more access to Jumpshine aerials. You would just need to get the muscle memory down.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
Wave-shining is wave-dashing out of a shine.

If you're dedicated to learning to multi-shine you could try Westballz's approach where you shine, jump and aerial dodge down to a neutral stance and repeat.
Falco has a more forgiving jump squat duration though meaning he leaves the ground a few frames later than Fox (don't quote me but I think Fox's jump-squat animation is 4 frames and Falco's 7).

Not sure if that affects doing it with Fox but in theory this method is easier and tbh I rarely see any other player multi-shine to the effect that he does, besides maybe Hax.

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Wave-shining is wave-dashing out of a shine.

If you're dedicated to learning to multi-shine you could try Westballz's approach where you shine, jump and aerial dodge down to a neutral stance and repeat.
Falco has a more forgiving jump squat duration though meaning he leaves the ground a few frames later than Fox (don't quote me but I think Fox's jump-squat animation is 4 frames and Falco's 7).

Not sure if that affects doing it with Fox but in theory this method is easier and tbh I rarely see any other player multi-shine to the effect that he does, besides maybe Hax.
When i said "are there any optimal schemes for waveshining" I meant to say "multishining". Just now realized. My bad. But regardless thank you, waveshining is next on my to-learn list

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
When i said "are there any optimal schemes for waveshining" I meant to say "multishining". Just now realized. My bad. But regardless thank you, waveshining is next on my to-learn list
No worries man was sure it was a slip just making sure others understand too :).

If I could be so bold I'd recommend leaving multi-shining close to last on the 'tech to learn' list as it's validity is debatable and INCREDIBLY difficult compared to other tech.

What I mean by debatable is that a shine-grab is better in every situation besides as an edge-guard.

However that's my opinion and far from gospel, good luck with practice :).

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
No worries man was sure it was a slip just making sure others understand too :).

If I could be so bold I'd recommend leaving multi-shining close to last on the 'tech to learn' list as it's validity is debatable and INCREDIBLY difficult compared to other tech.

What I mean by debatable is that a shine-grab is better in every situation besides as an edge-guard.

However that's my opinion and far from gospel, good luck with practice :).
Yeah, the only thing I could see myself using Multishining for at this point is just shield pressure, which is a pretty rare chance for me in the first place

Mizter Ultimaman

Smash Cadet
I started playing Fox two days ago, and in ~3 minutes I was consistently multishining. (I also did it yesterday and it worked too.) Just glide your thumb from Y -> B. (Or X -> B, I just do Y because it's what I'm used to.)

To avoid jumping too high, it just takes muscle memory. Just remember to move your thumb at the same speed, and you'll get it eventually.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
It's all optional, nothing is going to make it easier.

Top Bottom