• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Multi-maining, counterpicking shenanigans, and the future of this game

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Yeah it's just he can put them out there so fast. It's really frustrating me.
I see your statement. Playing Mario, Fireballs are big in my arsenal. Quick shielding is my method of tea, or reflecting lol

SSS

Smash Ace
I see your statement. Playing Mario, Fireballs are big in my arsenal. Quick shielding is my method of tea, or reflecting lol
Well it looks like I just have to find a solid counterpick to Mario.
Really I have to find my second and third. I have a large list (about 10) of characters I'd like to play, and I am in the process of narrowing it down so I can hyper focus on a couple of characters.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Mario's a good choice against Mario. lol.

TreK

Is "that guy"
PMBR guys, if you have some time to spare, putting in a double blind pick feature would be a really nice touch. If you've got a better idea, then by all means, do it, but simply giving the option to temporarily mute the announcer would already be enough. We can simply toggle off our character selection picture to hide our selection.

Now, I don't think that a change in our ruleset is necessary even if this change in the norm does happen. I do think that announcing your first character when you register is a good rule, but this opinion of mine is unrelated to the way people take pocket characters. My reasonning is that it promotes coaching in a way, and I believe this to be something that would help our circuit to become a little more "pro". It would also help the people on the mic provide with some insightful commentary before the set even begins.
As for the other ruleset changes changes... Well, let's just put things in perspective : right now, the norm is to solo main, but we don't hinder people who want to duo/trio main, do we ? Other games do, in example in Street Fighter, you can't switch your character after you win a match. We don't have such a limitation within our counterpicking system right now. And I think that if the norm evolved towards duo/trio maining, we shouldn't alienate solo mainers by putting in rules that favor players who can play multiple characters.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I know it's not super likely, but I think it would be cool to tie in a Random Character Select to the player name tags. So if I like using a list of 5-10 characters, and want to randomly pick from those, I can. That way I can be random with my character without getting characters I don't want showing up.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Playing with one, two, possibly even three characters is perfectly fine. Anymore than that you're really just limiting yourself, because nobody gets equally proficient with 5 or 6 characters. No matter what, you're always going to have a best character. Your "Ol' Reliable" that is your go-to fighter for tourneys or when you're being serious. It's far easier to learn your hard matchups with your main, or pick one or other characters that covers those bad matchups, then trying to juggle multiple characters and get equally good with all of them. Unless you're ridiculously good, pocket characters aren't going to win against dedicated players of those characters. This is why people get pissed at PR Rog when he goes Fei in a match (who wins the MU on paper) then loses, then goes back to Balrog and wins.

I see the appeal of devoting yourself to one character, to learning every aspect of the character. And good on the people who do that. But I can't. Boring.
How I see it, you only get bored of playing one character if you aren't challenging yourself. Playing good players that keeps your blood flowing. Not just good players, but playing DIFFERENT players and matchups so you don't stagnate. Sure, you get an understanding of how a character works by playing as them, but so does playing actually playing matches against that character, AND you don't have to switch from your best character. I wanna practice a Samus and Ike matchup to get better at it, not play as Ike for a while and then theorize how the matchup will go in my head.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I know it's not super likely, but I think it would be cool to tie in a Random Character Select to the player name tags. So if I like using a list of 5-10 characters, and want to randomly pick from those, I can. That way I can be random with my character without getting characters I don't want showing up.
That's been requested pretty frequently, and I think it would be great, but there aren't 'too many' people who are fond of it.
Still awesome though. No idea how it would be possible to implement. Probably in a 'Special Mode' if anything.

My 'Ol' Reliable' is basically whoever I'm using at the time. haha
As in, whoever I've been working with most recently for any decent period (a couple Smash get-together's)
Edit: Usually that's simply whoever my opponent would benefit from playing against.
AKA, Never Dedede in PM, as there's always someone else to be where people can learn the essentials of that AND THEN SOME.
Or Ganon/anyone worse than Mario or whatever in Melee.

Top Bottom