• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU: Yoshi vs Mega Man

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Playing as Mega Man I have only been completely demoralized a handful of times so far in for glory mode and 2 of those times were at the hands of a very skilled Yoshi. One was very campy and frustrating and the other was just all out offense and had me bouncing all over the place and before I knew it was getting meteor smashed to death at 40%.

So my question is do Yoshi mains typically have an easy time against Mega Man? And I feel like I should specify that I typically don't have a hard time with most Yoshis but if played right I have found it to be one of the absolute toughest match ups for mega man.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This MU can be a huge pain for us too, dealing with projectile spam is draining and frustrating. Staying in Megamans face prevents him from camping and gives us back some stage control, so you'll probably see that a lot from us. If we approach from the air you can just shield grab us probably unless we go for an egg lay, in which you can avoid by rolling toward and under us, then pivot grab I suppose.

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
Well, in my experience, Mega Players are kinda annoying.
Crash Bomber to Metal Blade and Top Spin are tough to deal, if Yoshi Keeps rolling, Mega can deal a Usmash to deal damage, also, if Yoshi is trying to approach megaman with a dash/air attack, that Shoryuken is a good answer after Yoshi hits him.
Bair is really good when Yoshi tries to recover or goes for a fair/nair after launching mega horizontally, Charged Buster is when yoshi tries to do an egg throw in the air, at least is the best way to use it IMO.

As for Yoshi, he needs first to see how the Mega is actually playing, zoning with Blades/Buster, going for throws or being Fair/Bair happy, after that, he can start dealing with dash grabs or aerials against the blue robot, Egg Throws i don't think they're really useful here since Mega has better projectiles and Eggs have an arc trajectory.

I think the match is in Yoshi's Favour, he's faster, hard to K.O, minimum landing lag on aerials, an annoying dash grab, and a good usmash that makes mega man's zoning be less effective, adding the fact that mega has a hard time trying to kill him (shoryuken or buster are good KO options, but a Good Yoshi can evade them).

If you want, we should play some matches, so you can have better experience against Yoshi :)

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Well, in my experience, Mega Players are kinda annoying.
Crash Bomber to Metal Blade and Top Spin are tough to deal, if Yoshi Keeps rolling, Mega can deal a Usmash to deal damage, also, if Yoshi is trying to approach megaman with a dash/air attack, that Shoryuken is a good answer after Yoshi hits him.
Bair is really good when Yoshi tries to recover or goes for a fair/nair after launching mega horizontally, Charged Buster is when yoshi tries to do an egg throw in the air, at least is the best way to use it IMO.

As for Yoshi, he needs first to see how the Mega is actually playing, zoning with Blades/Buster, going for throws or being Fair/Bair happy, after that, he can start dealing with dash grabs or aerials against the blue robot, Egg Throws i don't think they're really useful here since Mega has better projectiles and Eggs have an arc trajectory.

I think the match is in Yoshi's Favour, he's faster, hard to K.O, minimum landing lag on aerials, an annoying dash grab, and a good usmash that makes mega man's zoning be less effective, adding the fact that mega has a hard time trying to kill him (shoryuken or buster are good KO options, but a Good Yoshi can evade them).

If you want, we should play some matches, so you can have better experience against Yoshi :)
I'd like that! Add me and maybe we can get some practice matches in sometime soon. I really could use some Yoshi practice.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I main both of them and i think yoshi wins. Yoshis camp game is really mobile so he can arc eggs around megamans projectiles while avoiding them.

You don't have the luxury of spamming. Your projectiles are fine but we have no problem getting in on you if you try them too much. Use your lemons moderately, and use your metal blades if you know you'll connect. Try to punish what you can add hard as possible. Grab game is your friend. Fsmash our landings when you can since our air dodge is ass. And just idk try to survive. It's rough.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I main both of them and i think yoshi wins. Yoshis camp game is really mobile so he can arc eggs around megamans projectiles while avoiding them.

You don't have the luxury of spamming. Your projectiles are fine but we have no problem getting in on you if you try them too much. Use your lemons moderately, and use your metal blades if you know you'll connect. Try to punish what you can add hard as possible. Grab game is your friend. Fsmash our landings when you can since our air dodge is ***. And just idk try to survive. It's rough.
Well thanks for the input. I'm just glad to hear other people feel the same way. Just out of curiosity, what kind of match ups give you a hard time while playing as Yoshi?

~Rainbow Mika

Smash Cadet
NNID
rigobfd64
3DS FC
0361-6812-0263
Rosalina, A good Little Mac, ZSS and Lucario.

Rosa can nullify Yoshi Grab & air game thanks to that little &%*@ luma and her amazing aerials.

A good Little Mac can space you well, armor smashes eats you, rapid punches racking up to 30 damage and his infamous KO Punch makes it hard for Yoshi.

ZSS is just annoying, paralyzer, good finishers (up-b, fmash, down special), flip kick burys you or kills you, can combo yoshi well thanks to her grab.

I simply hate lucario in this game.

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
I think the thing that hurts Mega Man the most (from what experience I have with him) is his real lack of threatening horizontal space control. Mega Man has plenty of options that travel horizontally in front of him, but very few of them are really dangerous.

The interesting part of this is that Mega Man's bullets, his basic horizontal control tool, are not only probably the least threatening option, but somehow an incredibly core part of his gameplay. I think the best style (right now) for Mega Man is to be extremely annoying and bullets fit right into this style. Bullets are unlike other projectiles mostly because of the low stun and medium range.

Consider lasers: they're coming from one of two ranges (generally) and the follow up conditions are extremely predictable. Lasers will either come from full screen followed by another laser or lasers will come from mid-screen followed by a dash up offense. The low stun on bullets means that you're not in any REAL danger by getting nicked by one, which makes the move really tempting to disrespect. The range, however, is brilliant because they travel almost the perfect distance to avoid roll retaliation and out of shield up smashes. The follow up factor is also much less predictable with bullets because all three can come out or maybe just one or two and any number of them can be followed up with Mega Man's short or full hop forward air for a "moving wall" sort of tactic.

With all that said, the point I'm trying to make is that disrespecting Mega Man is easy until he starts playing games with the bullets. While it's not threatening, Mega Man can use bullet tactics to really make the enemy dance to his tune even if just for a short while. I think smart plays against Mega Man will involve going in hard until Mega Man is capable of showing that he can make that close range wall that Yoshi typically has trouble with; I think this matchup is one of those "player" matchups instead of a matchup strictly based on the character. If Mega Man doesn't have a strong wall/bullet game, the idea is to really dominate the area in front of his face because he has no real convincing ways to deal with Yoshi there that don't entail some serious risk.

Yoshi really has to bully Mega Man by taking advantage of Mega Man's first big commitment mistake and very calmly stay in Mega Man's area. While I don't see too much down smash, I have seen up smashes mashed out during gaps in peoples' offense and this is probably one of Mega Man's better moves in my experience. I recommend staying aware of Mega Man's up smash range (test it out in Training mode); I think it's a pretty good defensive tool when people are just pressing buttons in Mega Man's face.

The tables turn a bit when Mega Man is edgeguarding Yoshi. Wind-based moves like up air (very similar to Gale Boomerang) can really mess with Yoshi's double jump recovery and while Mega Man can't really punish Yoshi for catching Metal Blade projectiles, he will likely use it and Crash Bomb to just give Yoshi another thing to have to react to while recovering. Back air is nasty--I think that's the most dangerous move in this situation overall and Mega Man's will likely be fresh if he doesn't have a super aggressive playstyle. It should go without saying, but learning to egg just under the edge while recovering (if your opponent is committing to an edgeguard move on the stage) is key for snapping to the edge; you don't want to double jump into a ranged forward smash at any percentage.

Mega Man really makes Yoshi work his normals out in this matchup. The B button will get very little love just because there aren't too many reasons to press many of them, I think. Get very comfortable with forward tilt (and its up angled version) especially.

Hmmm, what else. I guess I'll list what I think are problem moves from Mega Man and the situations in which they apply.

Back air (edgeguarding)
Forward smash (edgeguarding)
Neutral air [one shot] (sloppy aerial approach from Yoshi)
Up smash (sloppy ground or low altitude approach from Yoshi)
Forward air (basic retreating or advancing walling tool)

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
Megaman has more range than yoshi. If you're megaman, abuse that; if you're yoshi, close the space. Everyone else here already talked about the matchup pretty well.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Megaman has more range than yoshi. If you're megaman, abuse that; if you're yoshi, close the space. Everyone else here already talked about the matchup pretty well.
Could you elaborate a bit on abusing mega mans range vs Yoshi? Because the only 2 long range moves mega man has are crash bomb and metal blade (I'm sure I don't have to specify how worthless leaf shield is). But Yoshi can spam eggs at a faster rate than mega man can fire off his two projectiles (which are very easy to avoid from across the stage.

Also, Yoshi can spam eggs while simultaneously dodging mega mans ranged attacks because all of mega mans projectiles are straight horizontal while Yoshis eggs arch and have the same chance of landing if he fires them while jumping.

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
Megaman's Fair and Bair out range yoshi's aerials, yoshi just moves in the air very well so it is hard to tell. Also, megaman can go high in the air with his up-b and angle his metal blade. Also, yoshi can only afford to throw 2 eggs before landing again because even though yoshi jumps with his eggs, it is only significant for the first 2 eggs. He can throw more, but he won't jump with them once he throws his third and onward (before landing on the ground, edge grab doesn't count). Also, you jump and throw metal blades horizontally to cover where yoshi goes. Lastly, Megaman's fsmash has a ton of range, but it is better against yoshi when yoshi is retreating and still within range.

Dyz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyz-89
3DS FC
1950-9945-5854
im mostly posting since im both a Megaman player and a dedicated Yoshi player, sadly though i barely see any Megamans online, it could be because since im considered in the "Mexico" region on my 3DS i hardly get paired with US players, or i dunno...i do randomly get Japanese players, and even so, the few Megamans i do fight arent very good, or are just about decent, same with Yoshi players actually....its kind of why im here actually

so far with my Megaman i have: online stats 121 wins - 37 losses
out of my losses none of them have been at the hands of a Yoshi (that i can remember clearly), so i would definetly like to have some experience fighting againts the Dino, because i know how powerful the Dino is on this new smash game, so i best be prepared, because i really love how Megaman plays in this game, i will keep on playing if i get more experience in this match up i will post again :3

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Playing as Mega Man I have only been completely demoralized a handful of times so far in for glory mode and 2 of those times were at the hands of a very skilled Yoshi. One was very campy and frustrating and the other was just all out offense and had me bouncing all over the place and before I knew it was getting meteor smashed to death at 40%.

So my question is do Yoshi mains typically have an easy time against Mega Man? And I feel like I should specify that I typically don't have a hard time with most Yoshis but if played right I have found it to be one of the absolute toughest match ups for mega man.
Megaman is not the greatest of my concerns. I'll tell you that upfront.

I don't know what Megaman could do to alleviate this. Just keep mobile and be conservative about using risky KO options. D-air and u-air are very safe, but difficult to land, KO options to go for. Since Megaman has to rely on mobility and gradually building damage, he isn't great against other mobile characters. Yoshi is VERY mobile, hence your issue.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Rosalina, A good Little Mac, ZSS and Lucario.

Rosa can nullify Yoshi Grab & air game thanks to that little &%*@ luma and her amazing aerials.

A good Little Mac can space you well, armor smashes eats you, rapid punches racking up to 30 damage and his infamous KO Punch makes it hard for Yoshi.

ZSS is just annoying, paralyzer, good finishers (up-b, fmash, down special), flip kick burys you or kills you, can combo yoshi well thanks to her grab.

I simply hate lucario in this game.
Rosa: She's really dumb, but switching between an aerial approach and aerial Egg Toss spam can give you a chance to simply jump past the Luma from what I've been experiencing. If you think they'll shield grab you, do a cross-up n-air instead of landing right in front, or do Egg Toss -> land -> jabs/tilts. If they aren't patient enough, you get your hits in still. Main issue is dealing with the Luma. If she separates from it, you really need to jump in there. Just be wary of her way dumb u-smash.

Mac: Eggs. At higher %s, they can even combo into aerials. Use more eggs and use your dash attack too. Timing it right gets free cross-ups and leaves you safe on the other side of him. Not saying this match-up is easy. Just saying it's not impossible. I almost forgot that good :4littlemac: players existed.

ZSS: Eggs. More eggs. Plenty eggs...and avoid her dive kick + shock wave. This is gonna be 50/50 imo, depending on who's rushing who down. Both of them can play into a heavily offensive style. Whoever is juggling the other and getting their positioning and momentum in their favor is gonna win it. Yoshi can force a momentum shift with his eggs, but Z.Sam's speed allows her to start things off much easier. Still, one more advantage for Yoshi is d-air. It gives up to 33% on a full hit, and you can launch it by simply short-hopping her stun gun. You can do A LOT by just short-hopping what's supposed to be a very reliable tool in Z.Sam's kit when you're Yoshi. Out of the 4 you listed, I think Z.Sam is the easiest one to deal with when it comes to good players using them correctly.

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I never took Mega Man very seriously until today. I was playing a bunch of matches against this guy and was able to win against every character he switched to...until I met his Mega Man. He had me baffled; I just didn't know what to do against him. He unfortunately only gave me a few matches with his MM before he quit. All I can say is his projectile use was really good, but it was his aerial game that had my head rolling. I wish I could have learned something in this matchup, but all I really learned is to fear a good Mega Man!

Top Bottom