• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Thread v2 | PM 3.5 Ness Matchup Discussion |

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
I'd be fine with talking Diddy next. I got stomped on by a Diddy at tourament a couple months ago and it seems that a lot of people would have stuff to contribute. I won't, but I will have a lot to contribute once we talk about Roy, Mewtwo, and Mario. And Ganon. But yeah. Sorry Bry, I would contribute more if I knew more matchups.

Aztek

Smash Rookie
I'm having a way harder time with the Mario match up than I should be, so I'm glad to see that climbing the strawpoll.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I don't know I saw something mentioned how fair and side-b win neutral for Ness because MK can't grab then but I disagree.
MK can avoid PK fire and stuff (although he has to jump so he can't move as fast horizontally) and fair isn't preventing MK from grabbing at all, baiting it out always works.
I would advice putting out a PK fire first and then just do standard neutral game stuff. The thing you don't want is that MK is in closer range on the ground without any kind of frame disadvantage, because MK can get an easy grab then. You need to prevent him from landing close with some kinds of anti-air tools and if he lands put out something like fair.
If you are in that bad situation though, you need to try keep MK out with fairs probably although it isn't really helping, but you always want to put up maximum resistance? Also don't be predictable, MK is a character you need to play movementintensive against when you want to avoid losing neutral game and are already in a bad spot.
People also were posting MK has an easy time edgeguarding Ness. While Ness' recovery is vulnerable somehow, I think his options are underestimated. The best option is recovering low in the most situations because it is easier for MK to cover space next to him (bair and such) and you can't dair offstage as MK, it is kind of hard for him to cover space diagonal below him/below him. Still recovery is tough.

Do you have any information for MK in exchange?

Bryonato

Green Hat
I disagree that Ness should recover low vs MK. MK can really abuse us if we go low with ledgedrop bair and nair, esp. if he takes advantage of invincibility. I think this is one of those MU's where knowing how to sweetspot pkt2 is suuuuuuuuuuuper important since MK's offstage game is so potent.

Now, without further ado, this week we'll be discussing MARIO.

Kidneyjoe

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I'm going to go ahead and ask the stereotypical Mario MU question. What is the optimal way of dealing with fireball/pill spam?
Also, how should I go about edgeguarding him?

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Main thing we have over Mario is range, and we're a decent weight to get out of combos afiak. Nair is our best tool in neutral since it easily beats fireballs and we can move rather far while using it. other ways would be to clank them with jab/tilts, but that leaves you a bit more open.

we lose in neutral, and hes an annoying weight to combo since he is heavy, floaty and has a 3f nair. fair is best and uair kills fairly early (both out of d-throw).

Edgeguarding can be hard since he has invulnerability until the hitbox on up-b, and its FREAKING MASSIVE... If you have time to set it up you can use the ledge invulnerability to beat it, hit the back of his head where its exposed or catch him out of his jump before he can up-b (as without a jump hes basically dead anyway). PKT1 is bad cause he can beat it in almost every situation while recovering (only way he cant is if hes out of capes and jumps).

the main part I can see is just keeping him on the ledge. he has relatively sub-par ledge options (consisting of ledge hop fireball, ledge jump aerials and ledge dash), which are all easily beaten by just sitting there and reacting. fireballs leave him open from below, and can just be clanked with nair; ledge hop is easy to react to and beat with nair/fair (depending on timing) and ledge dash is vulnerable to grab/spaced move. Just sit outside of ledgehop dair range and you're safe to react.

On defence, dont shield grab low aerials/dair as you'll get jabbed into his advantage. try not to shield fireballs if hes free or DI badly (basically away on everything). On d-throw, always DI behind him as it makes both the uair and the fair more difficult to land (but not impossible, his throw is godlike).

Basically make it difficult where you can and try to get the win. he kills early with fair/fsmash, and has amazing CC options with grab and dsmash, so we gotta just work where we can.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Mario writeup:

First things first, there's two videos I want you to watch, both from the same tourney/set.
Part 1:

Part 2:

In grand finals, I get 3-0'd from winners and the bracket is reset. I then go and 3-0 my opponent under virtually the same circumstances. I make a few adjustments in between sets that drastically change how the match plays out, which I will go into later. If you notice them, feel free to point them out.

Neutral game- Like most matchups, we win or lose the game here. A good Mario will apply a ton of fireball pressure. He has a ton of safety and mixups through wavebounce, b reverses, etc. How you deal with this imo determines how the set plays out.
Ness has a few options, and the three best in my opinion are:
  1. nair clank- My go to option in neutral. You can use this in a variety of ways. Quick djc nairs will clank and allow you to be grounded again quickly. Sh nair can be used in a variety of ways to approach, even. You'll see a few times in the video, sh nair allows me to first clank the fireball, and the clank extends the nair long enough to where i catch Mario with the weak hit. Sh and djc nair are by far your best options to deal with fireballs. Getting good at clanking them requires practice, timing and a bit of precision. From what I can tell even if you get the nair off it won't always clank if it hits Ness' head at all.
  2. PKFire- What you'll see in the video is I use fh/sh FF pkfire to clank with fireballs granting me neutral space with their pillars. It's harder than nair clanking but the reward for it is very great. I find it's generally easier to watch where fireballs are going and then throw a pkfire out right where they will bounce. Through this you can transfer into the best way to win this matchup imo, which is with aggressive zoning. Similar to have a good Toon Link plays, through nair clanks and aggressive, sh pkfires that clank fireballs, you can effectively grant yourself superior position in neutral. Basically, yes, it's pkfire spam, lol. Spamming pkfire in a conscious, efficient manner and applying pressure to Mario does wonders for us.
  3. Magnet- Most people when I used to ask how to deal with fireballs just said "uh you're Ness just mag lel." Magnet only really works in a couple select situations. First being when Mario is fireball camping from far away. Magnet comes out slow and has considerable lag after it absorbs, and Mario has decent enough mobility to punish us for using it too close. You might be able to absorb 2 or more fireballs in this situation. A bit rare. Secondly is when you make a good read as to when he is going to throw out a fireball and use it to approach. Magnet throws out a hitbox right after it absorbs something, so similar to how I was talking about using sh nair aggressively through clanking, you can mag -> absorb -> absorb hitbox -> djc aerial.
Basically utilizing good platform movement and efficient use of pkfire is how you best deal with neutral vs Mario. Having good movement is really important in this mu imo since Ness has so many unique options he can use. Try not to get caught shielding fireballs if you can afford it. Just don't give Mario the whole stage to work with. Try keeping at the range of about the max range of pkfire. That's the ideal space to maintain imo.
If you get grabbed, DI behind him on dthrow as it makes it harder to convert into fair. In most cases I believe we can jump out before he can fair us anywho.

Comboing- Mario is at one of those unfortunate weights for Ness where he as a lot of trouble stringing a lot of hits on him. That said, it's not impossible to combo him. Once I nair/mag/pkfire through fireballs and get a hit in, I'm almost always looking for a way to convert into a grab. Our best options out of dthrow are fair and nair (go figure). A weak hit nair will often convert into a dair -> jab reset or tech chase for us. Fair will string into itself or a nair. At kill %s, always opt for uair even if he DI's up/behind as bair is too slow to sweetspot before he can jump.
Mag dash is particularly effective at low % in this mu as it leads into a grab or any of our many aerial options.
At low/mid % sweet or sourspot bair will convert into another sweetspot bair. If you rise for the second bair I find it often sets up the right angle for a pkfire.
Around 60-80% a low djc fair will convert into a sweetspot bat if they don't smash di away.

Edgeguarding- Mario's recovery is suuuuuper tricky to try and deal with since his upB has invincibility and a huge hitbox on it. There are a couple things I try doing vs him.
In the video you'll see multiple times that I try going deep offstage with rising nairs, and it pays off very often as the most he does to challenge it is a cape which just sends us back on stage.
You want to reallllllllly make use of ledge invulnerability because generally you're not going to beat out Mario's upb without it. ledgedrop nair/rising nair is very effective. Don't hang on the ledge for too long because if you do the Mario will upb -> wall jump and then bair you which will stage spike. When going offstage vs Mario it's a pretty good idea to have a stage tech ready (i often press L when I do my ledge drop nairs just in case).
If you can get him to down B next to the ledge it's free. Just bair him and you're done.

Recovering- As with most any MU, don't recover low. Good Mario's will cape you for recovering low. Your best option is to recover high and sweetspot or onto a plat imo and ledge cancel. I try to avoid recovering into Mario since cape scares the **** out of me.

Stage Choice- I always always always ALWAYS ban dracs (if its legal), Green Hill Zone, and Yoshi's Brawl vs Mario. He is incredibly potent on those stages. Tons of room to run around on dracs + huge wall = never dies because walljump, almost no plats + small space makes it really hard to deal with fireballs on ghz, if you don't kill him outright he will make it back because wall jump, middle plat + ground angles on Yoshi's Brawl make his fireball game extremely potent, plus in general it's a god awful stage for Ness. FD is also questionable imo.
Vs Mario I tend to opt for Skyworld, PS2, and Battlefield. Skyworld is my go to cp vs. most anyone and PS2 and Battlefield are very neutral and give us plats to work with in this mu which is very important imo.
Just don't let Mario go to a stage where he has room to work and camp and give yourself platforms to maneuver around and apply pressure with.

Matchup Spread- We lose this one IMO. Mario basically beats anyone without a sword. 40/60 when played properly.

Extra stuff- So what did I do differently in between sets? It all had to do with how I handled his fireballs. Set 1 I was granting him too much space and passively trying to nair fireballs/magnet which didn't get me very far. This is most noticeable during the match on FD. Set 2 I tried being much more aggressive with how I handled fireballs through leaning heavily on pkfire approaches and applying pressure in general (IM_JK and I play a lot; I know how he reacts to pressure so this played a heavy hand in it too).

Last edited:

fAtomsk

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna have to go back and watch my Mario matches too, along with yours Bry and consider: what I did right, how I adapted, how my opponents failed to adapt and what I can do better in the future. Right now my radar for this Wed. is filled with Kirby, Links and Spacies, but I'll try and commit some time to this.

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
Bry pretty much killed it in his post, and I think he said like 99% of what there is to be said about the Ness v. Mario matchup. Nevertheless, I'll contribute what I can here.

This is a bad match for Ness, no questions about it. Ness struggles for a couple main reasons in this MU, I believe. First, fireball pressure. What Bry said is so true. Ask anyone else how to deal with fireball pressure as Ness and they're just like "lol use mag" and this isn't always a great choice since mag may not come out fast enough to absorb the fireballs (which is kinda silly) and the fact that there's no way to cancel the lag that happens after absorbing something. During this lag, Mario can punish Ness kinda hard if you mag too close to him. So like Bry said, only absorb fireballs from Mario if there's some distance between you and him. Try magnetdashing to absorb fireballs, and then jump out with a DJC aerial as a means for approaching. It can work in some select situations. Also please remember that Ness' nair clanks with fireballs. If you're really good with it, you can use nair to dispatch fireballs pretty well. It's difficult though.

Ness also struggles in this match because of combo game that's heavily stacked in Mario's favor. Mario is extremely floaty (think Mewtwo floaty) and because of that Ness has a hard time comboing him like he can to "mid-floaties" like Marth and fastfallers. Mario gets a lot of guaranteed stuff out of his throws on Ness and you have to make sure you DI that stuff correctly or else you get screwed hard. Bry talked about that in his post so I won't repeat what he already said I guess. Watch out for his dthrow -> fair at high percents, it's a serious killer. Like Ness, Mario's back throw is very strong, so keep that in mind. Below I'll list some of my go to combos on a very floaty character like Mario.

Ness BNBs vs Mario

1. fair -> grab Ness' #1 bnb. If you catch a standing Mario with a DJC'd fair, L-cancel it and go for a grab. Pretty much guaranteed if executed correctly.

2. dair -> bair/uair Ness' #2 bnb, pretty much. My favorite combo with him. This works pretty well if Mario's standing and you catch him with a DJC dair. If he's at above 140% or so, uair will kill. If he's at 100% or above, bair should do the trick.

3. dthrow -> nair Ness' go to combo against Mario at low percents. dthrow -> fair -> grab doesn't work too well on Mario since he floats too high to get caught by a fair after dthrow. This combo is pretty good for just getting some simple damage. After this combo, resume spacing well- don't get overzealous with following up from this. Though sometimes you can get a fair after this if Mario doesn't tech or DIs badly.

4. dthrow -> dair This combo is okay. It's pretty much guaranteed against Mario. Use this if you're confident in your tech chase ability. If you manage to tech chase, you can do something like tech chase -> djc fair -> grab -> etc.

5. dthrow -> bair This combo is extremely good at higher percents against players who don't know the Ness matchup. The only time this combo doesn't work is when the opponent DI's way in front of you. Players inexperienced with the matchup will not do that and this combo kills surprisingly early on a lot of characters. Bry did this a lot in his rounds vs. Mario, and I've been doing it a lot too. Every Ness player needs this against very floaty characters.

Some more general tips. First, be very careful about your recovery. Stay away from using PKT2 at all if possible since Mario's cape absolutely shuts it down. Be very careful and smart about recovering if you do have to use PKT2. Like Bry said, try to go high or to a place his cape can't really get to.

reslived

Smash Apprentice
i really REALLY hate this matchup. luckily all the good stuff has been said already about how to play it well.

IF YOU WANT TO EXPERIMENT WITH MAGENT IN THIS MATCHUP, YOU NEED TO START DOING THE FOLLOWING:

B-REVERSING MAGNET. fireballs are fast. really fast. to the point where reacting with magnet almost never works, like Bryonato said above. when dealing with fireballs, RUN AWAY, and then b-reverse the magnet into them. It gives you a much larger margin of error so u dont get hit, and it gives you another approaching hitbox after absorb lag. this is the only magnet-reliant maneuver where i favor b-reversal over normal magnet.

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
Start off: I really hate mario.

I'm not super good. But charging U/Dsmash off the ledge is a good edgeguard. imo
nair to nair combos work vs my little brother but probably not pros.

>.< why am I even posting here.

fire ball spam is strong. I try to be aggressive (in your face) enough so that my bro doesn't have time to start spamming fireballs.

irc pk fire clanks out fire balls.

dtilt leads to some good options.

flag = get rekt.

overall I think mario wins this MU.

I usually try to throw the kitchen sink. (if they're spamming fireballs I use PK flash or thunder to change the situation). DJC dair spikes. edge guard bairs.

Last edited:

Icehawkz0

Smash Cadet
Personally, this really is a personal thing, I don't like dreamland with ness because it becomes so hard to kil people. Ness' kill moves don't really scale well, and can't kill too well on dreamland. IMO.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
With Mario, I really got to train myself to deal with the fireballs because since I wasn't used to dealing with fireball pressure from great players, I got absolutely demolished by ORLY's Mario, and he doesn't even PLAY Mario at all.
Mario is mainly difficult because of his cape being the scariest freakin' thing ever to linear recoveries, and fireballs.

PK Flash is also not very useful for edgeguarding in this match up either because his cape can deflect the PK Flash even before the detonation. Personally, I'd pick smaller stages like Yoshi's Island Melee so his fireball spam is less effective as he has less range to work with. I WANT to recommend FoD but with Mario's Wall jump recovery being so effective, I can't say for sure. The small horizontal blast zones make Ness's killing moves like bair and back throw better. The Mario I played in Washington usually killed me by gimping me in some way such as double bair, cape or fireballs when I'm offstage.

Also, on the subject of Dreamland, it's one of my favorite Ness stages because the large map allows for nice combos, wide blast lines making it very difficult to kill you both horizontally and vertically (living upwards to 150% is very common with Ness on this stage) and Ness's edge guarding game, in my opinion, is one of the best having a multitude of tools like PK Flash, rising (n, d, f, b) air, PK Fire, yoyo, and bat; so even with the wider blast lines, Ness's has a lot of options to knock his opponents away before they can even come back on stage.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
There may be situations where you can bait out his nair in your combo game and then be able to continue your combos (because if you kept going before you woulda gotten bopped by his damned foot)

reslived

Smash Apprentice
So EB360 brought this up for me yesterday and I dont see it mentioned anywhere so Ill go ahead and say it. if Mario smashes your shield, the ONLY punish you have is usmash OoS. 11 frame OoS option not too shabby.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Mario? ummm WD-Ftilt is really good imo. Don't have anything real to contribute though.

Theres like a 55% chance that I'll spend tomorrow making a giant compliation of what fox and ness can do to each other so when the thread rotates around to fox. I'll do one for diddy too i guess. Drill-shining is really hard to do a combo on Ness but its possible and does link if Fox is fast and reads Ness's DI from the shine.

But Mario, idk don't get hit

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
I'd also kind of like to discuss Fox next as well because I've been having quite a bit of trouble against Fox lately. I don't think there's really much else to add about the Mario match up.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Don't try to kill the discussion pls T_T we've had what like 4 posts about it? I see people johning about it in the skype group all the time so people must have something to say.

I don't mean to be a butt and use you as an example akhenderson but can we please refrain from character requests until I ask? Not a big deal but it'd be nice.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I think the largest tool Ness has in the neutral game against Mario is Ness's ability to very quickly change his air momentum and direction. To pool from Byonato's great write up and reslived tip about using wavebounced magnets, I think Ness's options to change direction in the air is very very important. Nairs go through fire balls and magnet "beats" them (allthough it needs to be used carefully otherwise you'll get punished), and be it which ever option you pick to change your movement quickly (Magnet or fast DJC aerials in the opposite direction) you have the tools to combat fireballs.

Spacing around fireballs is incredibly important too imo, Ness has a fantastic in-out weaving game due to his buffed speed and DJC's, so he can threaten mario's space very well. You cant really out-camp a mario because any stray fireball deals 8% and will convert into at least a small link. That means you have to regocnize how the Mario is using his fireballs. If he does them aggressively but too close to you, just Nair through to him to punish the cooldown while he is in the air. If he tends to do more full hop fireballs or fireballs from platforms, take that as an opportunity to gain stage control and take position under mario, just be careful of Dairs and falling nairs.

I think that staying grounded/close to the ground is ideal in the MU, just be ready to take to the air to avoid approaches or go through fireballs. If you have to shield a dair or a fair don't try to shield grab, he will jab>dsmash you. Dair and Fair are effectively safe on shield, just stay in shield or roll away. Nair OoS works, but normally Mario is trying to get you to push a button so he can jab you. Grabs come out faster than perfect nairs OoS frame wise, and if mario does move>jab>dsmash he normally is out of range for both. Wavedashing OoS to punish unsafe moves on your shield is 100% necessary.

For combos, mario's weight sucks to combo him, if you have to end combos early make sure you do so in a way you can still keep pressure, I.e. get him off stage, or in a tech position, or in a juggle with no jumps. Make every grab count too.

If you're getting combo'd, good luck. You need good combo DI against mario otherwise everything is stupid free, just be sure to not be holding down/away when he Fairs you.

Edit: lost half of this in site maintenance. ggs. filling in with the crux of what it said though

For counterpicks, if he is campy take him to a small stage, if he is aggressive you'll need room to work around fireballs. Don't let him get walls, WW is fine imo.
I would avoid letting him get PS2 as well, Mario love how fast he can kill off the top with Fair on that stage, and the platforms/room is perfect for him.
I personally take stages based on platform layouts, so I would want Lylat because its very usefull against characters that approach from above, and helps dealing with fireballs. the Blastzones aren't perfect, and the ledge sucks for Ness, but you'll be recovering high in this MU anyway.

If he hits your shield, dont panic but dont get grabbed. Fair/dair/strongNair are effectively safe on shield, and if the mario is playing well he Will jab you right afterwards and then dsmash if you went for the shield grab. Its like Melee Peach shield pressure if you're familiar with that. Just stay in shield, roll away, or WD OoS to punish smashes. don't get grabbed.

Mario controls the neutral game pretty solidly. Fireballs shut out part of what i think makes ness so good, his amazing air flexibility/mobility. Mario in this MU just has to play the same game he would normally. ALL OF THE COUNTERPLAY IN IS NESS'S HANDS. this is important. You have to adapt in this MU and play to the opponent, not just play ness. you need to be AWARE of what area Mario controls at any given point. Know his tools, the fireball arcs, exactly how far in front of him an approaching aerial will hit. things like that. It doesn't matter how on point your movement is, If you don't know his zones then you can't pressure them effectively.

You need to abuse your (better imo) mobility in this MU. the counterplay lies in how you deal with fireballs and how you move in/out of his zones. PK-Fire can only get you so far in this MU, as grounded ones are hard to land on a jumping, fireballing mario, and he platform camps better than us.

Make the most out of every hit and grab. its in mario favor, could be even as the MU gets fleshed out, or better counterpick stages/strats get found. You'll have to play his game to an extent, but don't let him get his way all the time, if that makes sense.

Well thats my ness theory craft for the week. I had a **** load more stuff with better insight but the draft didn't save. If i think of anything more important i'll come back. Just watch videos, learn mario's zones and abuse Ness's filthy stupid air mobility.

Bryonato

Green Hat
nice post. Your opinion on the MU spread?

Also I would not recommend Lylat vs Mario unless you're totally comfortable on that stage. Mario has some really nasty coverage with fireballs due to the plat layout. Really dangerous

Aztek

Smash Rookie
Finally figured out what I was doing wrong in this MU, I just needed more nair, I thought I was doing an appropriate amount of nair, but I needed even more.

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I feel like magnet is even better in many situations, I'll try to friendly a Mario a lot this Thursday and see what I come up with

So far I've found nair clank isn't useful for me that much but I'm probably using it wrong and get bodied by worse players

Bryonato

Green Hat
magnet in theory seems useful, but it's not when you actually try applying it in most cases. You'll be stuck in absorb lag and eat an aerial

Last edited:

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I meant if you're sort of in a situation where the mario has 2 pills out and he's throwing them continually, you can sorta try to side step whatever pills are out using platforms and pk fire and then while he's throwing you can sorta run at him and mag not only to absorb the pill but then put him in hitstun with the magnet and maybe not get a follow up exactly but at least be in there and ready to chase him

And all the while apply whatever sort of tricky b movement options you want to mix it up with the magnet and pk fire

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I played against a lot of mario's tuesday night. I didn't go Ness at all though. As Fox, you can nair through fireballs reliably, but you have to make sure to do it and time it correctly. If mario is doing rising fireballs, you have to sh nair right as he shoots it. If he is doing falling fireballs, then do it as he lands. It works for ness too, just be careful how to go around doing it. If you get stuck in a pattern and he mixed it up, you'll get grabbed and comboed. Respect and understand the fireball cooldown and what window you have to punish it.

Its probably like 60/40 or 65/35 in mario favor.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
So my best friend mains Mario, I'll pass along the secrets I know to beat HIM.

Also am newb don't know exact truths.

1. I'm pretty sure magnet is jump cancelable at all frames? (y/n) if that's the case I think fireball pressure could be met w/ magnet and jump when he gets to close.
a. Heals you
b. annoys him
c. since I haven't heard anything about this technique it might come out of the blue and take him a few trys before he gets the punish down ( assuming it has one, I really don't know )

2. Recovery-wise I think ness's greatest strength is dangling Up-smash over the edge. It won't work for any recovery from the side or anything like ether, and it sure as hell wont K.O. But it can rack up a few point of damage and annoy them. In all reality this is probably really really easy to punish.
a. I'm almost positive it'll work for marios up special. and with the speed of his up special you might be able to get two-three hits before the game auto-releases the smash

3. My go to combo for ness v. mario is aerial pkf, > run and jc grab > down throw > follow up with fair, two if you can fit it substitute fair with bair at kill percentages.
a. My friend isn't the biggest smash expert but he says there is nothing he can do to escape the follow up aerials.

Like I said I'm very new. But there's my past experience w/ v. mario

Bryonato

Green Hat
So my best friend mains Mario, I'll pass along the secrets I know to beat HIM.

Also am newb don't know exact truths.

1. I'm pretty sure magnet is jump cancelable at all frames? (y/n) if that's the case I think fireball pressure could be met w/ magnet and jump when he gets to close.
a. Heals you
b. annoys him
c. since I haven't heard anything about this technique it might come out of the blue and take him a few trys before he gets the punish down ( assuming it has one, I really don't know )

2. Recovery-wise I think ness's greatest strength is dangling Up-smash over the edge. It won't work for any recovery from the side or anything like ether, and it sure as hell wont K.O. But it can rack up a few point of damage and annoy them. In all reality this is probably really really easy to punish.
a. I'm almost positive it'll work for marios up special. and with the speed of his up special you might be able to get two-three hits before the game auto-releases the smash

3. My go to combo for ness v. mario is aerial pkf, > run and jc grab > down throw > follow up with fair, two if you can fit it substitute fair with bair at kill percentages.
a. My friend isn't the biggest smash expert but he says there is nothing he can do to escape the follow up aerials.

Like I said I'm very new. But there's my past experience w/ v. mario
appreciate you taking the time to post :)

1. Mag doesnt come out till frame 8 and is not jc'able till frame 11

2. I don't recommend this vs mario personally as he'll probably just walljump and recover anyways

3. solid combo

Kokomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I think what he said about mag is legit, you can use mag effectively because you're not tryna djc it early you're trying to slide across the stage with it, absorb something, maybe hit him, and THEN djc aerial. And I swear I'm not just saying that because we have the same idea

Bryonato

Green Hat
You're all welcome to keep talking about this MU but as of now I'm taking requests for the next discussion.

My vote is Ganondorf

Last edited:

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Ganon please. Also regarding the Mario MU, I play Mario a lot, but I've never played against a Ness with him, and I've never played a Mario with Ness, so I'm afraid I can't contribute anything. :(

Top Bottom