• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Pikachu

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
How can Yoshi defeat a good pikachu with ease (the one that knows how to combo, etc :p) ?

I mean you can egg camp pika but you have to space them to not get caught by his aerials. I feel like you got to play the game defensively or get a quick combo in here and there. also yoshi with his egg toss and double jump can mix up stage approaches and approaches in general, plus armoring things. I fought against one and revBing and garbing disjointed him. I also mind gamed with egg roll here and there but I couldn't land a Dair or Bair properly on him. Pika has a really good aerial game. Also you can read his quick attack but punishing it (online) can be difficult.

Juggling Pikachu and going aggro can result into you getting punished or simply thundered. Also off stage besides doing the simple stage spike hard read it's kinda hard. I like playing with people and juggling them off stage a bit but with pika you cannot do that.

I guess I should compare frame data too that'd be useful.

I feel like yoshi is always on the defensive with pikachu if it's good.

Edit:
Here are useful tips people have posted so far :p

Pikachu's worst enemy in this case is probably Yoshi's jab. It can also cut off quick attacks and a lot of other moves because of how lagless it is.
You should also use it to try and grab Pika into combos.
If you're going to recover, try to do it low.
Patience and safe play is everything to this MU.
Safely punishing his mistakes with single hits then getting out of there and waiting for the next opportunity.
Pikachu can build a wall of thunder projectiles that prove to be a bit of a problem for us to get through and he's got great range on some of his aerials.
This matchup comes down to a fundamentals battle throwing out their moves in the neutral.
Pikachu can reset to neutral with QA whenever he wants.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
The MU is really weird IMO. Are you asking for help or making a guide?

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
The MU is really weird IMO. Are you asking for help or making a guide?
Idk if i'd be good at making a guide for the MU specifically. I kinda want people to give options on it and maybe give input here and there on the subject. I could edit the first post here and there too. Also Pikachu's Fair is faster than you'd expect lol

D

Deleted member 189823

I don't think this MU is hard. Granted, we do get U-Air juggled at times, but they don't do a ton of damage, and you should also try reserving your jump so you can escape from that (or N-Air clash out of it, if they aren't fast enough). I don't think his T-Jolts are particularly menacing, all you do is block them and retaliate with Jab if he tries to close in and take advantage of that. This MU doesn't need to be campy or particularly offensive, but rather, a struggle of who takes the lead. Just a constant neutral. Just do Yoshi stuff and take it over. :p

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
The MU is pretty knowledgeable. Its even or in yoshis favor because Pika simply cant kill yoshi when he has the stock lead. If you are playing correctly you should be able to last at least untill 120+. Thats defenetly one thing for Yoshi. Yoshi kinda has a bad time killing pika but for some reason yoshis nair seems to cancel out quick attack from above.

NachoThePikachu

Smash Cadet
NNID
NachoThePikachu
I'm a Pikachu main who uses Yoshi as a third main. You're in luck!
While I don't know AS much about Yoshi as I do Pikachu, I figured it'd be helpful to share my thoughts on the match up.
When it comes to facing a Yoshi, I usually get a little nervous because i've faced some super tough ones. It really comes down to skill with these two, however, I do feel that Yoshi has advantages.
Both can camp, which is really awkward to do in this particular matchup. The Yoshi's i've had a particularly hard time against are the ones that strike whenever there's an opening and combo up when they can. I usually get trashed pretty bad by Yoshi unless I can keep my combos and space right. (Just for reference, I am a hyper aggressive Pikachu. Not a campy one, which may call for some different approaches.)
Yoshi has a much easier time killing than Pikachu does. Your #1 priority against Pikachu is taking him out as early as you can, which is, fair to say, pretty early. (Writing this just as the post above was made, heed his words. XD)
Pikachu's worst enemy in this case is probably Yoshi's jab. It can also cut off quick attacks (if I remember correctly) and a lot of other moves because of how lagless it is. You should also use it to try and grab Pika into combos.
If you're going to recover, try to do it low. Pikachu can't gimp Yoshi due to his jump armor, and gimps are a fundamental part of Pikachu play. This is likely Yoshi's greatest advantage against Pikachu. Recovering up high will likely result in getting thundered or easier edge guarding.
On that note, you can TRY and meteor Pikachu, but instead of doing that I'd just push him off the stage. Yoshi's Nair has a lasting hitbox that can bop Pika far enough off screen. It's difficult to gimp Pikachu but playing patient and even tapping him off for extra damage will do you well.
#1 Thing I would reccomend not doing against Pikachu:
Egg rolls- Thunder jolt has a lot of priority and will stop an egg roll in its tracks

I have a lot more to say but not enough time to say them right now. I hope the info I provided is even a tad bit helpful, and hopefully I can help out with more tips. If there's any questions about Pika, I'm happy to answer ^u^

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
I'm a Pikachu main who uses Yoshi as a third main. You're in luck!
While I don't know AS much about Yoshi as I do Pikachu, I figured it'd be helpful to share my thoughts on the match up.
When it comes to facing a Yoshi, I usually get a little nervous because i've faced some super tough ones. It really comes down to skill with these two, however, I do feel that Yoshi has advantages.
Both can camp, which is really awkward to do in this particular matchup. The Yoshi's i've had a particularly hard time against are the ones that strike whenever there's an opening and combo up when they can. I usually get trashed pretty bad by Yoshi unless I can keep my combos and space right. (Just for reference, I am a hyper aggressive Pikachu. Not a campy one, which may call for some different approaches.)
Yoshi has a much easier time killing than Pikachu does. Your #1 priority against Pikachu is taking him out as early as you can, which is, fair to say, pretty early. (Writing this just as the post above was made, heed his words. XD)
Pikachu's worst enemy in this case is probably Yoshi's jab. It can also cut off quick attacks (if I remember correctly) and a lot of other moves because of how lagless it is. You should also use it to try and grab Pika into combos.
If you're going to recover, try to do it low. Pikachu can't gimp Yoshi due to his jump armor, and gimps are a fundamental part of Pikachu play. This is likely Yoshi's greatest advantage against Pikachu. Recovering up high will likely result in getting thundered or easier edge guarding.
On that note, you can TRY and meteor Pikachu, but instead of doing that I'd just push him off the stage. Yoshi's Nair has a lasting hitbox that can bop Pika far enough off screen. It's difficult to gimp Pikachu but playing patient and even tapping him off for extra damage will do you well.
#1 Thing I would reccomend not doing against Pikachu:
Egg rolls- Thunder jolt has a lot of priority and will stop an egg roll in its tracks

I have a lot more to say but not enough time to say them right now. I hope the info I provided is even a tad bit helpful, and hopefully I can help out with more tips. If there's any questions about Pika, I'm happy to answer ^u^
Great comment btw. I feel like duck hunt really benefits pika in this MU though.

WalrusBiscuit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WalrusBiscuit
I usually dont have any problem with Pikachu. Playing patiently against Pikachu has always worked for me.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I usually dont have any problem with Pikachu. Playing patiently against Pikachu has always worked for me.
Patience and safe play is everything to this MU.

Safely punishing his mistakes with single hits then getting out of there and waiting for the next opportunity seems to work best. Pikachu can build a wall of thunder projectiles that prove to be a bit of a problem for us to get through and he's got great range on some of his aerials. If you don't respect him then you can take a lot of damage.

This matchup comes down to a fundamentals battle I think. The winner gets decided by who spaces and has better timing for throwing out their moves in the neutral. There's no real advantage play because Pikachu can reset to neutral with QA whenever he wants.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Like @ NachoThePikachu NachoThePikachu , i'm also a Pikachu main who secondaries Yoshi. I don't have a ton of experience in this MU from Yoshi's point of view, but I have played it quite a bit with Pikachu.

The most annoying thing in this matchup for Pikachu is the fact that Yoshi's fair and nair seem to outprioritize every one of Pikachu's aerials. However, if the Pikachu reacts quick enough, he can fair right when Yoshi starts his fair, and Pikachu's will hit before Yoshi's hitbox becomes active. So the Yoshi player should be very mindful of spacing and make sure you don't throw out any autocancel fairs at an unsafe range.

Secondly, Pikachu can't kill Yoshi early unless they get a hard read. This is because Pikachu looks to edgeguard for a large portion of his kills, and this isn't possible on Yoshi until very high percents because of the double jump armor. Pikachu then has to rely on uthrow > thunder (which is DI'able) or a read to land fsmash or usmash.

Imo, this matchup is very similar to Yoshi vs Sheik, but replacing Sheik with Pikachu. Pikachu and Sheik both are able to rack up damage on Yoshi early, but struggle to find kills, giving Yoshi a large amount of rage and an easier time killing his opponent. I want to say this matchup is 50:50, but I could see it being 55:45 in either direction because both characters have benefits in the matchup. Pikachu should win neutral and combo much easier, but Yoshi can survive until very high percents and kill much earlier.

Won't know for sure until I play a good Pikachu with my Yoshi, but sadly I'm the only Pikachu player in my city. Hope this helps

Toonation

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aghiliz
3DS FC
0490-5328-2001
Like @ NachoThePikachu NachoThePikachu ,
if the Pikachu reacts quick enough, he can fair right when Yoshi starts his fair, and Pikachu's will hit before Yoshi's hitbox becomes active.
S
Yea I was just thrown off guard in a match because the pikachu I was facing was just QACing all over the place and seemed to know how to space everything extremely well online. He tried to do all the pikachu combos on me and I was just like 'nope' and just approached with eggs and punished. I just couldn't style on him at all :(. I did kill him with RevB to down B tho which is always fun.

Personally I like messing with people online and test how people punish things a lot and see their weaknesses. Like if they shield too much, air dodge w/e you approach in air, rolling etc but I had someone who actually knew how to play and had really good fundamentals and pikachu knowledge.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
Very interesting. One of my best friends plays Pika, so this was very helpful. I will post on good ways to beat Pika next time I fight my friend.

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
Just saying, I've played a good Pika who was a former Yoshi, and he knows how easy it is to break armor at even 90% and sometimes earlier. So don't become spoiled and think that Pika can't break it, because even nair will do the trick. Luckily many people are afraid of Yoshi jump armor, and respect it too much (like it's been 16 years and they still think Yoshi's jump has super armor lol.)

Cat8752

Smash Apprentice
To be fair people don't remember heavy armor is a thing, so they just call it super armor by default.
Yeah ik :p

Still, it is important to know that your jump armor can be beaten, and if you play games as if it can't, you'll lose a lot of stocks prematurely.

Top Bottom