• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU: Luigi

ividal

Smash Cadet
I find luigi to be one of the harder MU for yoshi, he has great kill setups, high damage combos and in soem cases, a good defensive game, was wondering if anyone got any tips for facing this green danger, especially with the defensive luigis

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm not really sure how the MU plays out in Smash 4. From my understanding of character speeds, I'd say we can play keep away pretty decently, and that we may even NEED to play that way due to the punishment disparity. Luigi is scary, so it's essential we don't give him the opportunity to get his combos off.

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Yoshi as a unique strength in this matchup, given that DJ has armor, we can jump out of combos a lot earlier than most, or even nair out (much like you may see in a Luigi ditto).

Personally in this matchup, I find the best way to edge guard is trying to snipe with an egg before trying anything else, otherwise you could take a green missle, or if you're unlucky, a misfire to the noggin. Luigi's down B is something to look out for too, since if you chase him into the air he can hit you with it and if you prematurely try to punish his landing he can hit you with it. But this can also be a good thing, since against a lot of Luigi players, it isn't hard to bait this move out by simply faking a landing punish with a run up shield or just dashing through. If he learns this early, you might scare him from using it for a while, or if you want to keep him conditioned so you have an easy kill setup later, that works too.

I'm not as experienced in the matchup as some of you might be, but the major points in this matchup to me seem to be; number one, don't get grabbed, number two, if you do get grabbed, stay calm and either DI, jump or nair out of the down throw combo. Number three, bait tornados for the punish and punish any movement screw ups where Luigi skids, even if it is only with an egg. Number four, be careful about gimping and use egg sniping to your advantage.

If I'm wrong about something, somebody please correct me, I don't want to be giving out false information.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm gonna say that, assuming we've got customs, Egg Launch is again a huge boon in the MU. Luigi's lateral air movement is pretty bad, so launching him deep off stage sets up for easy edge guards, as he's basically forced to Missile back, and I'm pretty sure we can intercept it easily with Fair.

Heavenraven

Smash Rookie
NNID
Heavenraven
I've played this MU a bit so I thought I'd put my two cents in. Although, I have played against only few different Luigi mains, so consider these as conversation starters rather than facts.

Compared to the other characters, Yoshi doesn't seem to care much about Luigi's neutralB because of his aerial mobility and eggs, so Luigi's neutral gets a bit more difficult against him. On ground it's safer to just run away from the fireballs rather than try to shield them because otherwise he'll go for grab. Eggs are good against Luigi, because they force him to approach. I'd try to bait and punish grabs.

If Luigi is recovering from far, fair is a good tool for punishing his sideB (unless misfire). Also, soft meteor dair on his downB destroys his recovery if you manage to pull it off. However, the cyclone's hitbox is a bit strange and I think it sometimes wins over Yoshi's dair, so not completely reliable. Don't do it if you're not sure you can recover after getting hit by it or after trading hits. Eggs can also mess up with the cyclone recovery. Although, the eggs' knockback is mainly upwards so I think it's a bit hard to gimp with them.

Not sure but I don't think that any of Luigi's aerials wins against our uair so combo him from below. Beware his nair and space yourself well though. If you manage to bait him to do nair after, for example, utilt or dthrow, usmash works well as a punish.

A bit obvious point, but even though Yoshi kills upwards, Luigi does it better so I'd avoid low-ceiling stages against him. I might try to pick Lylat against him, although I'm not sure if the ledges are difficult for Luigi. Which stages you would pick?

And:
If I'm wrong about something, somebody please correct me, I don't want to be giving out false information.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
vs DarkMusician :4luigi:

Hey friends, I want to discuss a pretty important character in the metagame at the moment, Luigi. I feel that Luigi should win the matchup at about a +1(or less) over Yoshi. To our benefit, we do not get as combo'd heavily like other characters do, but he is a powerhouse with a solid projectile game.

The main problems with Luigi are his fireballs and insane grabs. Fireball sets up for his grabs and can decently wall us out. An aerial fireball can keep us grounded which then means he'll come for a grab. I believe they do clank but with fireball having less endlag, luigi does not have to commit much for his projectiles like we do.His recovery is a bit lack luster in terms of missle, but his down b can do an amazing job to compensate.

He has an amazing dash grab with an also equally amazing pivot grab which can seemingly snatch yoshi out of the air. Down throw is what he'll probably do next and he can usually get a nair/fair in before we're able to DJ away. He also has the infamous Dthrow into Down B, luckily we do have a chance of surviving by smash DI'ing down and drifting away which I was able to do a couple of times.The best piece of advice is to try avoid the grabs at all cost, he can rack percentage rather quickly from them.

His normals are also nothing to scoff at either. Jab and utilt help with combos, while all his smashes come out rather quick and with a decent hitbox (Usmash especially). Aerials also present a problem for yoshi as well. All can be utilized pretty effectively against yoshi as uair stuffs any retaliation from above, fair and nair set up for combos, dair (the least used) can be used for killing, and bair has range and is fast; a d-throw into a turn around bair is definitely a thing for luigi.

What we having going for us is our combo breaker and DJ armor to get us away from strings. We do a good job in the air and can box pretty decently on the ground vs luigi. Since he is a bit floaty it might be difficult to get strings on him, but we can keep up the pressure.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Watching that video, I can say that Eggs really have no place in neutral in this MU, unless you've really committed to being super far from Luigi and camping him out that way. It looked like everytime you tried SHET or Grounded ET, Luigi got in and punished you.

And that's really okay, imo. If we're gonna play this boxing game with Luigi, I think we're better off not committing to the eggs. If anything, I'd say Dren's established my faith in Yoshi's ability to outbox Luigi and come out on top. A lot of the punishment towards the end seemed to start from poor OOS options or ET punishes.

JBones

Smash Cadet
One thing that really helped me is getting lots of up-airs after a down throw lol almost too many.
Luigi's options after a down throw seem to be air-dodge, fast-fall nair, and dair. Whether they jump after the d-throw doesn't seem to change much.
It's just a matter of guessing which options they'll choose and punishing.
When they're recovering far off the edge a good luigi won't side-b, but you could still intimidating them by hanging close to them and trying to nair, getting back to the ledge, and doing it again.
I've got a lot of problems getting them when they recover low, but usually I'll throw out a bair to try and catch them or a dair if I'm feeling lucky.

Last edited:
Top Bottom