• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MSU Weeklies+Monthlies: 4/21/11

Cursed Yoma

Smash Journeyman
right... well thats good then. i wont be there for brawl. prob show up bout 11 or so. dependin on whats goin on. im up for some 64 matches ! got my controller fixed so yeah. if i had the game still id be playin it since my brother hooked the 64 bacck up...

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
right... well thats good then. i wont be there for brawl. prob show up bout 11 or so. dependin on whats goin on. im up for some 64 matches ! got my controller fixed so yeah. if i had the game still id be playin it since my brother hooked the 64 bacck up...
Psh! $20 on Amazon! Get it!

Winnar

Smash Lord
lol jack <3

Okay guys we are really, really, really going to need every setup we can possibly get

If we have enough setups/interest, we'll do brawl doubles I suppose, but that's a big if

Edit - MOOGLE! :D

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
If we have enough setups/interest, we'll do brawl doubles I suppose, but that's a big if

Edit - MOOGLE! :D
MWAHAHAHAHA! Brawl doubles! I'm buying an RF converter from Radioshack and bringing all 3 of my TV's for Brawl and Melee! BOOYA!

Edit: And I still vote for a SSB64 tourney

Winnar

Smash Lord
MWAHAHAHAHA! Brawl doubles! I'm buying an RF converter from Radioshack and bringing all 3 of my TV's for Brawl and Melee! BOOYA!

Edit: And I still vote for a SSB64 tourney
I wouldn't mind having a smash 64 tournament but geez we will have to book it through the other 3 or 4 tournaments to get to it.

lol but seriously we'll have to play it by ear. If we have enough time/interest etc etc

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
I wouldn't mind having a smash 64 tournament but geez we will have to book it through the other 3 or 4 tournaments to get to it.
lol but seriously we'll have to play it by ear. If we have enough time/interest etc etc
Sounds good to me! I'm pretty sure we decided were only doin friendlies this time anyways, but next time... next time there will be WAR!

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
^^Great! I think we need to revive the Smash 64 community in these parts. And then we can have 64/Melee tournies. And Brawl ones too, but now that I've started playing SSB64, it becomes increasingly hard for me to play Brawl and enjoy it.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I've done both and neither one seems inherently better or faster

I-55 is nice though because you can drive at interstate speeds

also I got a ticket on highway 78 so there's that

10 days :O

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
I can hardly contain the hype!!1!

too bad I'm not going to have time for any Melee in the next 10 days because I'm installing WoW :bee:

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
I can hardly contain the hype!!1!

too bad I'm not going to have time for any Melee in the next 10 days because I'm installing WoW :bee:
Your soul is lost now. You will wonder the dephths of the Lich King's lair in the inescapable WoW(Waste of Wisdom).Hopefully it is not too late to save you for it almost claimed me.lol

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
Ha, I've quit WoW twice now (for over a year this most recent time, and close to a year the time before). I'm only coming back because a friend offered to pay my subscription :bee:

tl;dr I said 'deuces' to my soul long ago ;)

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Oh master of all things abbreviated, please explain what this means to this lowly padawan of abbreviations.

And I'm busing Talon, Sudomaru, and 1 other person (open seat) down there for Brawl, so you better get ready for the beatings to ensue. We'll show you the power of Memphis lol.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Ah I see.

BTW, I think I am the only person to have ever played WoW and quit once I got to level 60. I saw end-game play and decided that I did not want to play like they play. It becomes a sport, not a game. Plus, I hate hotbar MMORPGs. Maplestory FTW!!!!

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
lol, i was answering him. i was ninja'd

MMMMMAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSTTTTTTOOOOOOORRRRRRRYYYYYY

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
No hotbars in Maple Story? how do you do anything?

I bet you were a clicker when you played WoW ;)
No, I have a fancy dancy, super duper keyboard made for MMORPG's.... Don't judge me... and Mapelstory is a 2D, sidescroller MMORPG that is based on using 4-6 hotkeys. The gameplay is based off of how you can use those moves based on your own ability. Two people can have the same movesets and skills, but one can be vastly superior to the other based on spacing, timing, etc... In WoW you build an effective hotbar and usually go through the same motions in battle (i.e. you hit button 4, then lead to button 5, and if that doesn't kill it, press 9). Of course, this process varies slightly in certain situations.

Anyways... Hotbar MMO's kill me.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
lol, hotbars. i dont even know what that means. i just played maplestory cause my friends did.

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
lol, I'll just judge you for having a fancy dancy super duper mmo keyboard then :bee:

hotbars are like a bar divided into 12 or so blocks, each block can have an ability/spell/action/whatever bound to it.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
The serious thing is this... Hotbars derive a game of its uniqueness and necessity of practiced skill. Plus, TONS of MMORPGs use them now, and that lacks originality.

@BSL - Who would play that game if their friends didn't? Me and 3 of my friends would get together and coordinate our characters' classes so that we could PQ together. Oh yeah... We nerd it up. Right now, were playing Pokemon 3rd/4th generation together

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
you only play pokemon because of your friends?

dont look like a nerd to me.... :awesome:

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
I think the opposite is true of hotbars, but I really have never played an MMO without them... I don't think there is any merit in the argument that hotbars detract from skill required, though.

Also, who plays MMOs for the originality? (WoW at least :bee:)

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Oh master of all things abbreviated, please explain what this means to this lowly padawan of abbreviations.

And I'm busing Talon, Sudomaru, and 1 other person (open seat) down there for Brawl, so you better get ready for the beatings to ensue. We'll show you the power of Memphis lol.
How dare you forget my little brother Wolfei!! You said youself he could come! >_< Oh I'm so bumping Bb-ri-ba-ba this whole trip!!

And you dare to play pokemon and not call me.I'm so gonna mindrape this whole crew the entire trip.Your brains will be mush when we get to MSU,solidify,then become mush again when I put it on repeat. ^_^

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
If that song plays, I'll pick you up at whatever mile marker I drop you off at, when were returning. Sorry I forgot about Wolfe lol.

And how do hotbars require skill? Maybe some tactical knowledge, but not skill.

Winnar

Smash Lord
How do hotbars detract from skill? That's like saying L cancelling detracts from skill because it allows for faster play. I mean yeah I guess it'd take more skill to beat a high level player without L cancelling, but that's kind of a dumb thing anyway. Melee without L cancelling isn't as fun as melee with

also, maple story doesn't have a hotbar?

What's that in the bottom right?

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
How do hotbars detract from skill? That's like saying L cancelling detracts from skill because it allows for faster play. I mean yeah I guess it'd take more skill to beat a high level player without L cancelling, but that's kind of a dumb thing anyway. Melee without L cancelling isn't as fun as melee with

also, maple story doesn't have a hotbar?

What's that in the bottom right?

I think I already stated that there were hotkeys, but how you use those hotkey is ENTIRELY different. WoW can have close to 50 hotbar hotkeys if I remember correctly. MS has 8... And using those is based on learning to use them. I can't just use certain attacks every time, and sometimes I need certain spacing to make an attack work, or a certain number of enemies to make it worthwhile, etc...

As for comparing L-cancelling to hotkeys... whoa... You have to practice L-cancelling to learn it. Anyone can press the number 5 to initiate said attack. My point is that hotkeys derives the game of any required skill from the player.

_lemons

Smash Journeyman
lol you just keep saying "hotkeys take away skill" without any reason. I don't see how having 50 buttons to choose from as opposed to 8 makes for a smaller skill gap. If anything the skill gap is larger because you have so many more options, you're more likely to choose the wrong one :p

I mean arguably the "skill" of MMOs is knowing what to use and when to use it... Seems much more difficult when you have 25 choices (you can keep 50 things hotbarred, but it's just for convenience, it's not like you're actually using all of them... 25 may be a stretch actually).

By the way, what are we even talking about here? PvP or PvE? (player vs player or player vs environment, respectively - since you QQ about abbreviations :bee:)

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Maplestory is PvE.

Can you find me a
Screenshot of a WoW hotbar?
I've never seen one.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Eah, I don't see how having a huge hotbar is different than 8 hotkeys.

Also, you cam assign a whole lot more to your keyboard, just those 8 are the only ones you can have on the pop-up

Top Bottom