• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mrs. Pac Man palette swap

KingKRool

Smash Cadet
Male Wii Fit Trainer and Female Villager are already confirmed, so do you think we will get Mrs. Pac-Man as well?

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Highly likely. Requires minimal changes. Mrs. Pac Man arcade machines seem to have been more widely distributed in the USA than the original Pac Man, for some odd reason, based on my circumstantial personal experiences with arcades in the USA in several states.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
I'm a little doubtful, but I'd be OK with this completely.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Definitely hope for it. I mean, it's not a huge change or anything.

Though I also hope to see Jr. Pac-Man and Professor Pac-Man.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
It's Ms. Pac-Man, not Mrs. I see no evidence they are married. They just happen to have the same name.

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
Was that confirmed at the demo or something? Because Sakurai stated it was an alt and not just a color swap.
Well, so far it seems like there's only the one color for the wireframe. I was talking more in terms of Biker vs Overall Wario being alts where each costume had multiple colors and such.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Well, so far it seems like there's only the one color for the wireframe. I was talking more in terms of Biker vs Overall Wario being alts where each costume had multiple colors and such.
I'm pretty sure there will be other colors for it.

Now let's get back on topic.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Looking at her Pac-Man world appearance it dose seem pretty likely

Staarih

Smash Master
The thing is, she's a different character than Pac-Man. The Wii Fit Trainers and Villagers fit under the same name, and are avatars of both genders without specification, thus it makes sense for them. "Wii Fit Trainer" is still "Wii Fit Trainer" whether it's a boy or a girl. But Ms. Pac-Man is not a female Pac-Man (well, I guess she technically is but not the same character anyway haha). But I do agree that it wouldn't be a big stretch as they look very much alike. I just wonder how it'll work out when you choose to play as "Pac-Man" but have a "Ms. Pac-Man" look. Unless there are going to be more of similar kinds of skins for other characters which are different character all together.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The thing is, she's a different character than Pac-Man. The Wii Fit Trainers and Villagers fit under the same name, and are avatars of both genders without specification, thus it makes sense for them. "Wii Fit Trainer" is still "Wii Fit Trainer" whether it's a boy or a girl. But Ms. Pac-Man is not a female Pac-Man (well, I guess she technically is but not the same character anyway haha). But I do agree that it wouldn't be a big stretch as they look very much alike. I just wonder how it'll work out when you choose to play as "Pac-Man" but have a "Ms. Pac-Man" look. Unless there are going to be more of similar kinds of skins for other characters which are different character all together.
See, I get this, but there's no way Ms. Pac-Man is getting in as her own character, so why not have her as a costume to make her fans happy? It's not like making Chrom a costume of Marth. People actually want Chrom to be his own character. I can't say that the same is true for Ms. Pac-Man.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
I could see them adding it as an alt, with the subtle name change after you swap he over even since you're only adding a "Ms" to the name really. All else fails, I could see PMBR/PBBR doing us all the favor of adding her if Sakurai doesn't. So in the end it will happen, just depends in who will do it first.

KingKRool

Smash Cadet
I totally get what you're saying and have thought about it myself. But what is stopping them from just adding "Ms." to the name when swapping to that palette?

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
That would actually be pretty awesome and they could totally do it without much effort, just slap on the red bow and lip stick and they're good to go, they don't even gotta worry about voice changes cause Pac-Man seems to be silent like he used to be.

D

Deleted member

This would be so funny. I hope it happens, but I won't be bummed if it doesn't.

Levusti

Smash Rookie

Mm, but now that brings the question of genders in OTHER languages.

Wii Fit Trainer is listed in the Spanish, French, Portuguese, German and other versions of the official Smash Bros. Website as specifically female. It's almost like they don't say Wii Fit Trainer, but specifically "Wii Fit Trainess." (I know that's not a real word but it accurately describes the nuances of these languages.) It's also quite strange in those languages to have "non-gendered" words when referring to people. It's not sexist, really, just the function of language.

Same thing with the Villager. It's specifically written in a masculine declension. Surely they'd change the name because it would be kinda weird calling the male Wii Fit Trainer as "Wii Fit Trainess" and the Villager to be a "Villagess." I also anticipate this change for the Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner in other languages. Modern English considers gendered words in their SEMANTIC connotation, not as a GRAMMATICAL connotation, no longer is it politically correct to say policeman/policewoman but police officer and not a fireman or a firewoman, but a firefighter. So this issue isn't a big deal in English.

But surely they would have planned that out when creating these characters to have a palette swap with other genders. If they could do that in other languages, English would be much easier since it would only need to be "Ms. Pac Man" whose name would need written differentiation and voiceover, unlike other languages where they'd need ones for the Villagers, Wii Fit Trainers, and the Miis.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Highly likely. Requires minimal changes. Mrs. Pac Man arcade machines seem to have been more widely distributed in the USA than the original Pac Man, for some odd reason, based on my circumstantial personal experiences with arcades in the USA in several states.
Your estimation is correct. Ms. Pac-Man is a more widely-circulated, profitable, and well-received game than the original. Fitting, given that was sort of the goal in its creation.

Anyway, I'm opposed to the costume. Ms. Pac-Man is a different character, technically. Might as well make Silver a Sonic skin, since he's not getting in on his own, either.

In my opinion, Ms. Pac-Man should be Pac-Man's Assist Trophy, joining her husband on the field of battle when summoned.

Besides, Pac-Man's costume should be this snapping chap right here:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
I guess this would be cool, except it'd be hard to distinguish your own character if you did a Pac-Man vs. Ms. Pac-Man match.

Though it'd be pretty damn cool if they changed some of the sound effects from the original Pac-Man uses to the ones used in Ms. Pac-Man (i.e. eating pellets, whatever.)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I guess this would be cool, except it'd be hard to distinguish your own character if you did a Pac-Man vs. Ms. Pac-Man match.

Though it'd be pretty damn cool if they changed some of the sound effects from the original Pac-Man uses to the ones used in Ms. Pac-Man (i.e. eating pellets, whatever.)
Well, Ms. Pac-Man is noticeably more pale than her husband in some artwork. They could use that to easily differentiate them.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Well, Ms. Pac-Man is noticeably more pale than her husband in some artwork. They could use that to easily differentiate them.
That, and make her gloves and boots pinker and we have ourselves an alternate costume.

Then again, there's the announcer saying "Pac-Man" and not "Ms. Pac-Man" so that could still be problematic.

Here's to hoping they make an exception.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That, and make her gloves and boots pinker and we have ourselves an alternate costume.

Then again, there's the announcer saying "Pac-Man" and not "Ms. Pac-Man" so that could still be problematic.

Here's to hoping they make an exception.
Yeah, they could just make her clothes completely pink like she is in a couple games:

Or just mostly pink:

Last edited:

Corbin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nibrocofthepuddn
The pink does well to differentiate them more. And her eyes looking slightly different than Mr. Pac's would seal the deal.
Yeah, they could just make her clothes completely pink like she is in a couple games.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Ms. Pac-Man makes the most sense, obviously. Then we'll get a pic of Samus, Zelda, Peach and Ms. Pac-Man.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
How about she's more pale, is wearing pink, and has these eyes?
I've actually always really liked these eyes on Ms. Pac-Man. They stand well to differentiate her just a bit more from Pac.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
They probably won't make Ms. Pac-Man an alt look. They'll probably just make her a colour change like Dark Link for Link in brawl.

Hong

The Strongest
No. There won't be a Ms. Pac-Man.

Instead, we'll have Pac-Woman, whole fighter in her own right! And you're in luck as she has a palette swap too: Mr. Pac-Woman! You guys wouldn't shut up about the lack of gender options, so I'll see that the developers allow for this personally. :troll:

Jokes aside, I'll allow it as long as they don't use one of her designs with the scary lipstick.

Top Bottom