• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Traveler, Quote, for SM4SH DLC!! [Feel free to lend a vote!]

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
I would love Quote for Smash Brothers myself. However, considering he has a game on the Computer, that might make him Third Party.

Plus, they would probably have to change his 'Sword', because of how he throws it in a knife like fashion. Which Knife throwing is seen to be more unaccepted by censors over swords. (What gets censored and what doens't is very illogical.)

Basically I believe Quote's chances are 36%.

He brings an entire new potential moveset and started as a video game character.
To me, it all depends if he is considered third party and where he is located on Sakurai's priority list.
Quote is completely third party, albeit a third party consisting of one person.

As for the concerns about the Blade having to be censored, I'm fairly certain that the only weapons that can't make it into Smash are bullet-firing guns (none of Quote's guns appear to fire actual bullets, by the way). For instance, Sheik's needles are pretty similar to throwing knives already.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Quote is completely third party, albeit a third party consisting of one person.

As for the concerns about the Blade having to be censored, I'm fairly certain that the only weapons that can't make it into Smash are bullet-firing guns (none of Quote's guns appear to fire actual bullets, by the way). For instance, Sheik's needles are pretty similar to throwing knives already.
Ah, makes sense. So the only thing stopping Quote is his spot on Sakurai's priority list.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
My stance hasn't changed, but I figured it might be worth posting. Although I don't think Quote is too likely, being only an indie against an entire spectrum of other big-names, I would definitely be glad to see Quote in SSB4. The fact that most of Cave Story's ports are solely Nintendo and PC makes him seem that much more feasible as a character. The whole "indie/PC/cult-classic" niches he fills would be a welcome additional factor to boot.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but I am certainly a supporter. Sign me up.

You should also start writing up counter-arguments. Let me know if you'd like some help. I love a good challenge.

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
Now this is an interesting idea. I didn't love Cave Story as much as most people seemed to, but I think he could make an interesting character. It might be a good idea on Nintendo's part as well in order to further emphasize their recent indie push.

Chances are sadly low though.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
It was then that AEM had added legendofrob1 to the support list.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Well, I like him, and if he keeps appearing in Nintendo consoles he's going through the good path for Smash Bros.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Well, I like him, and if he keeps appearing in Nintendo consoles he's going through the good path for Smash Bros.
he's appeared in what, three at this point? that's a good start.

also, who else would be up for curly as alt costume?

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
he's appeared in what, three at this point? that's a good start.
4 (Wii, DSiWare, 3DSeShop Remasterization, 3DS Remake), and yeah, perfect start, now he just needs sequels just for Nintendo consoles and sooner or later new important third party.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
4 (Wii, DSiWare, 3DSeShop Remasterization, 3DS Remake), and yeah, perfect start, now he just needs sequels just for Nintendo consoles and sooner or later new important third party.
well, three consoles anyways :p

and I can't be the only one who wants a wii U eshop release that's the same (or better) as Cave Story+ on steam, right?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
>insert Nah meme here<
I don't expect it to happen, but if Mr. Hanafuda and Magikarp get topics I thought Quote should get something too.

One can dream though.
I doubt a sequel will ever be coming, considering the three endings and how the story comes to fitting end (at least in the best ending that ends).

A prequel would be amazing though, talking about what happened before Quote woke up in the cave. But again, it's not really likely that we'll get another game in the Cave Story franchise. But it would be amazing if we did.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
I doubt a sequel will ever be coming, considering the three endings and how the story comes to fitting end (at least in the best ending that ends).

A prequel would be amazing though, talking about what happened before Quote woke up in the cave. But again, it's not really likely that we'll get another game in the Cave Story franchise. But it would be amazing if we did.
You shut your mouth, budd!
Pixel said:
It's now been 10 years since the original Cave Story came out, so I'm now thinking that maybe it's time to start thinking about a sequel for Cave Story. There's a very, very good chance we'll see a sequel.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I agree with God Robert's Cousin, despite Mimiga Village essentially being the hub of Cave Story, Outer Wall is very iconic area with a potentially unique stage layout going for it as well.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I agree with Robert, despite Mimiga Village essentially being the hub of Cave Story, Outer Wall is very iconic area with a potentially unique stage layout going for it as well.
Ugh that's confusing, Robert is my name....

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
I agree with God Robert's Cousin, despite Mimiga Village essentially being the hub of Cave Story, Outer Wall is very iconic area with a potentially unique stage layout going for it as well.
Or the Plantation. There's Mimigas there, plus the background music is the game's title theme.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
That, and the Outer Wall is always the game's friggin' title screen.

More iconic, I say.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I can go ahead and assume that everyone is gonna hate me for sayin' this, but...

I'VE NEVER PLAYED CAVE STORY...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if quote ever gets in, who would be the best assist trophy?

I say sue or balrog.

but sue because bias ;)

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Quote would be cool, although the insane amount of options given to him through his specials in the opening moveset seem a little...unfair.

Though, as I'm sure it's been said before, his chances are almost nil. Good as Cave Story is, it's not exactly high-profile, so unless Sakurai were to outright approach the creator, it's not happening.

There is, of course, nothing wrong with dreaming.

Top Bottom