• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Game & Watch Tech: Table Flipping (dtilt shenanigans abound)

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Not to keep going ON and ON about Game and Watch's downtilt, but there will be a full video showing some of the insane things it does coming very soon thanks to @ Conda Conda helping me out. Seriously, that move changes entire matchups it seems. Bops Peach's Float, Diddy's Side B, messed with recoveries, can send people flying up to their deaths, and a lot more. I am pumped to show this off.
Here is the video in mention, which shows off the Tech in mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZs8M4snbrY&feature=youtu.be

Credit goes to @Capps for letting me know about the potential of this move, I had a blast exploring this tech and seeing the implications.

And yes I accidentally called it an 'advanced technique' in the beginning the video, my bad. I know it's just a normal technique. :p

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Sorry, but most of those situations (I'm only up to 7 mins) are not actually viable in an actual competitive match

The whole point of this video is people not autosnapping to the ledge, standing still while using projectiles (Which doesn't happen) and with no mixups on their camping game.

Do you think a wii fit trainer is going to stand in the same spot as you repeatedly blow away the soccer ball? Or that Donkey Kong is going to just helplessly getting carried by the windbox without any form of control stick influence?

This isn't really tech, just a quirk I guess that might work on very low skill players that don't adapt at all. Or lifeless dummies.

Edit: Before people get mad at me for being a negative ***hole: I'm not. I just recognize that this is extremely limited in its use.

Last edited:

Conda

Sorry, but most of those situations (I'm only up to 7 mins) are not actually viable in an actual competitive match

The whole point of this video is people not autosnapping to the ledge, standing still while using projectiles (Which doesn't happen) and with no mixups on their camping game.

Do you think a wii fit trainer is going to stand in the same spot as you repeatedly blow away the soccer ball? Or that Donkey Kong is going to just helplessly getting carried by the windbox without any form of control stick influence?

This isn't really tech, just a quirk I guess that might work on very low skill players that don't adapt at all. Or lifeless dummies.

Edit: Before people get mad at me for being a negative ***hole: I'm not. I just recognize that this is extremely limited in its use.
WFT standing and shooting the ball wasn't meant to simulate a combat scenario. Its like if we made a video about reflecting projectiles, it would look the same way. You have to use your imagination and creativity to see its potential.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
OK, but why wouldn't people just autosnap the easiest ledges to autosnap in the series knowing that GW can punish moves like this?

I guess as a proof of concept it's alright but I don't think that flips entire matchups like you said.

Diddy and Peach seem to be the most useful but as a Peach main myself I'll tell you that this probably won't work very reliably after the first time.

Being able to stop peanuts is pretty cool.

But for a lot of those projectiles it would be not just more beneficial but even easier to just pick up or catch the projectile.

I'll wait for someone to show me something more convincing, I still think that move is pretty bad, and I'm not really concerned about what I can do to bad players, it's the good players that I need tech for lol

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
He brings up the important fact that the threat of the move can make people wary. It's what really made the ICs scary in Brawl, not the chaingrab itself. I'm not trying to compare this move to the ICs' chaingrabs (those were 1000x more influential), but it is an important thing for a Game & Watch main to know now. A lot of characters are lucky to have wind/pushboxes on one of their moves, usually a special. Their moves usually have significant commitment. Game & Watch has them on three moves: UAir, DTilt, and Fire, all of which are quite low commitment (not sure if Heavy Trampoline and Trampoline High Jump have windboxes).

You'd be surprised what players can pull off in the heat of the moment. I've teched spikes on the side of the stage in order to survive multiple times, and once in Brawl I gimped a Snake's C4 recovery by using the windbox of Ganon's UTilt (seriously). This won't be something to apply in every matchup, nor in every match. But it's handy to have. Thanks for the work on this, it's fun to see what it can do.

Last edited:

Conda

OK, but why wouldn't people just autosnap the easiest ledges to autosnap in the series knowing that GW can punish moves like this?

I guess as a proof of concept it's alright but I don't think that flips entire matchups like you said.

Diddy and Peach seem to be the most useful but as a Peach main myself I'll tell you that this probably won't work very reliably after the first time.

But for a lot of those projectiles it would be not just more beneficial but even easier to just pick up or catch the projectile.

I'll wait for someone to show me something more convincing, I still think that move is pretty bad, and I'm not really concerned about what I can do to bad players, it's the good players that I need tech for lol
I get what you're saying, but any character who had this move would have another tool in their toolbox. It's like how having a reflector is powerful, or a projectile. Can anyone else do to peach while floating what G&W can do, for example?

The only way this will be meaningless for comp play is if people don't develop its uses and integrate them. Lack of development is a problem for lesser played characters, and that'll be the only reason this tech doesn't get much use. Not because it's impractical or not useful. It's his dtilt, it's already a great BnB move and it just got a big upgrade.

He brings up the important fact that the threat of the move can make people wary. It's what really made the ICs scary in Brawl, not the chaingrab itself. I'm not trying to compare this move to the ICs' chaingrabs (those were 1000x more influential), but it is an important thing for a Game & Watch main to know now. A lot of characters are lucky to have wind/pushboxes on one of their moves, usually a special. Their moves usually have significant commitment. Game & Watch has them on three moves: UAir, DTilt, and Fire, all of which are quite low commitment (not sure if Heavy Trampoline and Trampoline High Jump have windboxes).

You'd be surprised what players can pull off in the heat of the moment. I've teched spikes on the side of the stage in order to survive multiple times, and once in Brawl I gimped a Snake's C4 recovery by using the windbox of Ganon's UTilt (seriously). This won't be something to apply in every matchup, nor in every match. But it's handy to have. Thanks for the work on this, it's fun to see what it can do.
Precisely. Being able to negate many characters' camp projectile game, as well as punish many ledge plays that characters often do, makes this useful.

Not to mention, the best way to use this to punish recoveries is by standing a few steps away from the ledge. Which is already the best place to be on-stage when an opponent is recovering. G&W just has more deadly options from this position compared to before we knew about it, and is very scary in certain matchups (MK, Ike, Falcon, Diddy (if using side b), etc).

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Also, to any Game & Watch mains who are still frustrated that it's not like Brawl's DTilt, stop worrying. Its range appears to be shorter anyway, and Jab, FTilt, and dash attack (heck, even FAir/BAir) pretty much covert any situation you would have wanted to use DTilt anyway. It can still deny grounded approaches sometimes, too.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
On a note related to down tilt's windbox, try using it while standing on top of an airborne rolling crate for a laugh.

Last edited:

jacobj77

Smash Rookie
I can see using perfect pivot in conjunction with this. If you use this on a character when they are doing a special(like pit or mac) then if they land close by you can perfect pivot into a punish.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
As i just learned while playing with friends in a 4-way, the windbox works on Pac-Mans using their Side-B (it treats them like actual projectiles), which I think is pretty badass and tips the spacing game (in this matchup at least) in G&W's favour.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
d-tilt can hit the 1 frame vulnerability, in conjunction with the wind box, landing leads to superior positioning and gimp potential. Also using the wind box d-tilt after a d-throw is a sure fire way to rack up safe percent at early neutral game.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Flare Blitz is also affected by this. The timing isn't very strict either. Unfortunately it doesn't put Charizard into free fall but it puts hit above us which is always nice.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Then we'll have to bucket everything but Leaves and Blades.
Can't bucket Crash Bombs either. Lemons are bucketable, though they do petty damage at best.

Also, the horribly long ending lag on Bucket kinda makes it hard to bucket effectively against a guy like Mega Man that can just dash attack or short hop fair/nair to punish.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Assuming we're talking about the same thing (Mega Man's sideB), Ness can't either.
Ness is able to Magnet the explosion. I've been under the impression that Game & Watch can do the same since it only makes sense that he should be able to if Ness could.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
Ness is able to Magnet the explosion. I've been under the impression that Game & Watch can do the same since it only makes sense that he should be able to if Ness could.
Well yeah, but it's safe to just shield/dodge the explosion as it doesn't leave you open to be punished. The Crash Bomb itself was what I was referring to.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well yeah, but it's safe to just shield/dodge the explosion as it doesn't leave you open to be punished. The Crash Bomb itself was what I was referring to.
Well yes that's true. I was just tossing out the option.

lllp3lll

Smash Apprentice
Game & Watch can't bucket the projectile.
If Game & Watch is stuck with the crash bomber and it explodes he can bucket the explosion.
It's best to allow megaman to stick you and run off stage to bucket it.

But some weak projectiles aren't worth blood bucketing for.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
indeed, you can bucket the explosion. Rajikaru im pretty sure you are only talking out of theory and not actually testing anything.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
indeed, you can bucket the explosion. Rajikaru im pretty sure you are only talking out of theory and not actually testing anything.
Please don't make assumptions like that, the entire time the discussion was happening I was testing bucketing every attack Mega Man had on Sm4sh 3DS. It's unnecessary.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I cant honestly believe imo that you did though. When i found out the crash bomb the first thing i did was test it and on the first try got a bucket, and its not like the bucket automatically gets put away either, so its really just baffling for me to believe you actually tested it.

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I tested the specific projectile itself, as I don't pocket explosions and never had because I find it too risky. Is that good enough reason for you? Or do I have to make a video showing everything I do when testing crap in Training? Honestly.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
I tested the specific projectile itself, as I don't pocket explosions and never had because I find it too risky. Is that good enough reason for you? Or do I have to make a video showing everything I do when testing crap in Training? Honestly.
It's a weak bucket but it still gives us a nice way to damage Mega Man.

Anyway, let's get back to talking about DTilt. It pushes up aerial Upperdash/Electroshock Arm and since the move has a bunch of endlag, it sets us up to hit with something else, like USmash.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator

It can negate Diddy's nair so I guess that's a good part of it.

Top Bottom