• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mr. Game & Watch Social - The Flat Zone

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Retro Pocket: The DSiWare homage to Game & Watch that completely misses the mark. Why are there sound effects and voice clips. and most of all, why are there that many variations of Egg?

I'm so glad that I haven't actually BOUGHT it.
"When you can't make a game that's decent even by LCD standards, it's probably time to call it a day." (Source)

Azekahh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Azekahh
Don't get me wrong, I love Flat Zone 2, more than Flat Zone 1, but... can't we get a new G&W stage? I don't know what they could even do, with how limited the source is to draw from, but... even a Flat Zone 3 would suffice for me. But it seems like we won't be getting any. Kinda disappointing.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I wouldn't have minded a Mario's Bombs Away stage or something. The Panorama/Tabletop series was a part of G&W, too... And would have fit the home console focus, come to think of it.

But what I'm really disappointed by is the lack of G&W enemies in Smash Run. I mean, they could have had the Boss Dragon from G&W:Zelda or something...

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
1.0.4 announced. It's going to be a balance patch, since Online needs it and saved replays will become invalidated after the update. Does anyone think it's going to affect Mr. Game & Watch? I think it's going to nerf Oil Panic to be less useful now (either what it can absorb and/or its damage output). That, or buff him so he can kill earlier. But with how OP Pikawatch can be, I think Oil Panic's going to get some kind of nerf.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I doubt it. Nintendo doubles tournaments don't have Team Attack on even though real doubles tournaments do, so they're probably completely ignoring thunderbucket.

I mean, it would be great if the amount of bucket Thunder fills was reduced (making thunderbucket 3x as slow and not nearly as spammable), but that's the only nerf I think is called for. Outside of that specific situation, Oil Panic can't get any more nerfed.

A buff he needs is his smash attack hitboxes being increased. That was his most dangerous nerf from Brawl to 4.

Last edited:

Tewks

Smash Rookie
Don't get me wrong, I love Flat Zone 2, more than Flat Zone 1, but... can't we get a new G&W stage? I don't know what they could even do, with how limited the source is to draw from, but... even a Flat Zone 3 would suffice for me. But it seems like we won't be getting any. Kinda disappointing.
I personally think a GaW DK stage would be really awesome. It could be based off the Game and Watch gallery versions, so it wouldn't be to similar to flat zones. Now thinking about it, I really wish he got more series representation. A character and a few trophies.... nothing else. A Smash Run enemy, or a boss in the Wii U version would have been great.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Now thinking about it, I really wish he got more series representation. A character and a few trophies.... nothing else. A Smash Run enemy, or a boss in the Wii U version would have been great.
Yeah. Game & Watch needs more rep than what it gets, considering it made Nintendo who and where they are now. The fact they overlooked G&W for Smash Run enemies surprised me while at the same time didn't surprise me. Sometimes I think the main thing that got Smash Run in was (biased) Sakurai's chance to put even more Kid Icarus stuff in (when the series is already well oversaturated in rep; at least 80% of enemies I encounter in that mode are all from KI) while throwing in a few goombas and random Subspace enemies for variance. I hope SSB5 doesn't get infected with specific series bias like 4 is. Sakurai tried to avoid stuff like this in Melee (which is why no King Dedede) but almost 15 years later, a game from a very small series that was supposed to be a Star Fox installment gets rep'd to the point of ridiculousness while other series just sit around and rot.

tl;dr: Kid Icarus is overrated.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah. Game & Watch needs more rep than what it gets, considering it made Nintendo who and where they are now. The fact they overlooked G&W for Smash Run enemies surprised me while at the same time didn't surprise me. Sometimes I think the main thing that got Smash Run in was (biased) Sakurai's chance to put even more Kid Icarus stuff in (when the series is already well oversaturated in rep; at least 80% of enemies I encounter in that mode are all from KI) while throwing in a few goombas and random Subspace enemies for variance. I hope SSB5 doesn't get infected with specific series bias like 4 is. Sakurai tried to avoid stuff like this in Melee (which is why no King Dedede) but almost 15 years later, a game from a very small series that was supposed to be a Star Fox installment gets rep'd to the point of ridiculousness while other series just sit around and rot.

tl;dr: Kid Icarus is overrated.
Ya, hope this doesn't happen in the next Smash installment. At most, G&W should have around 15 trophies (maybe a little less), one character (Mr. G&W), one Smash Run enemy, and 1 or 2 stages. You could also possibly throw in an item, too.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I don't think Game & Watch has another character, anyway. :4gaw: pretty much covers the entire species.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I don't think Game & Watch has another character, anyway. :4gaw: pretty much covers the entire species.
It doesn't. Mr. Game & Watch happened to be designed in a way that another Game & Watch character isn't possible since Mr. Game & Watch already covers any and all possible (and practical) movesets that another G&W rep could receive. A Flat Zone 3 is still very probable since Fire Attack, Turtle Bridge, Ball, Octopus, Parachute, Mario's Cement Factory/Mario Bros, Egg, Donkey Kong/DKJr, Manhole, etc. don't have stage rep yet. Items and Smash Run enemies are also capable of being made.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It doesn't. Mr. Game & Watch happened to be designed in a way that another Game & Watch character isn't possible since Mr. Game & Watch already covers any and all possible (and practical) movesets that another G&W rep could receive. A Flat Zone 3 is still very probable since Fire Attack, Turtle Bridge, Ball, Octopus, Parachute, Mario's Cement Factory/Mario Bros, Egg, Donkey Kong/DKJr, Manhole, etc. don't have stage rep yet. Items and Smash Run enemies are also capable of being made.
Judge is represented in a Smash stage? Was it in the original Flat Zone from Melee?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Judge is represented in a Smash stage? Was it in the original Flat Zone from Melee?
Judge hasn't had stage rep yet either (I imagine a Judge stage being platformless almost like the Fire part of FZ2, with the characters and their hammers being stage hazards). Flat Zone 1 was based off of Helmet (the Game & Watch series symbol is also from Helmet).

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I always use GW as a Hail Mary and he always pulls through (or comes closer than whatever other character I use)

I know he's bad, but I just can't figure out why he always hooks me up

Everytime i scold myself for playing him instead of focusing on Rosie and Sheik, here GW comes with the sick edgeguards

Edit: So yeah, I guess there's no way around it. I'm still a GW main.

Last edited:

Lúcio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1922-4046
I always use GW as a Hail Mary and he always pulls through (or comes closer than whatever other character I use)

Everytime i scold myself for playing him instead of focusing on Rosie and Sheik, here GW comes with the sick edgeguards

yeah i'm the same.
i LOVE playing as G&W but in so many matches i struggle to get the KO.
totting up damage is easy with his dash attack and air combos, but getting the kill can be frustrating.
but that's just me; i main link and i'm decent with G&W but i won't be at the same level of you guys most likely.

speaking of edge-guarding, what is the best way to do it with G&W?
is it as simple as using chef or are there more techniques?

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Multiple Fairs are solid.

Bair is really solid for covering the ledge

dragging people down wait nair is good and dair is good as long as you start high enough since you can no longer slowfall it.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
How long will it be until an SSB4 tier list comes out?

X3I

Smash Apprentice
Can you stop, SmileyFace, writing "lol G&W is bad" in every post ?
Would be nice.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Once a G&W main, ALWAYS a G&W main.

Judge hasn't had stage rep yet either (I imagine a Judge stage being platformless almost like the Fire part of FZ2, with the characters and their hammers being stage hazards). Flat Zone 1 was based off of Helmet (the Game & Watch series symbol is also from Helmet).
Sounds reasonable.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Sorry, I'm still salty about his nerf.

Not trying to seem pessimistic though, I still love him
You say nerf, singular; is there a particular one you have in mind? There are a few I can think of but from my perspective his nerfs just gear him toward a different play style.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You say nerf, singular; is there a particular one you have in mind? There are a few I can think of but from my perspective his nerfs just gear him toward a different play style.
The most particular would be the KO Power

he was always very mobile and good at edgeguarding so i'm not too worried about that stuff

He does play differently but even so he's still definitely nerfed, which is unfortunate because even in brawl he wasn't particularly great, but he had a lot of good matchups, he just had some REALLY bad ones

Also, it's not like i'm saying he's unplayable garbage or anything. He's not THAT bad.

Last edited:

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
The most particular would be the KO Power

he was always very mobile and good at edgeguarding so i'm not too worried about that stuff

He does play differently but even so he's still definitely nerfed, which is unfortunate because even in brawl he wasn't particularly great, but he had a lot of good matchups, he just had some REALLY bad ones

Also, it's not like i'm saying he's unplayable garbage or anything. He's not THAT bad.
I read on YouTube that all the nerfs really do are make him gear toward a different playstyle based on edgegaurding and combos, but he still does need more KO power. In Melee, his smash attacks, side special at 9 and down tilt killed. In Brawl, his up smash, side smash (usually) and side special at 9 killed in the right conditions. In 4, his down special and side special at 9 are the only "real" kill moves he has left. You now have to rack damage and up-smash or sometimes gimp in order to KO people.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
Really hoping 1.0.4 brings gifts to G&W. Nerfing his Oil Panic just because of an oversight in friendly damage doubles is a little dumb. Just want harder hitting smashes , tilts, and aerials, with bigger hitboxes. Grab range leaves more to be desired as well, would really love a longer one. And I have a weird wish that Jab gets a windbox. Hopefully he eon't get any more nerfs.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Really hoping 1.0.4 brings gifts to G&W. Nerfing his Oil Panic just because of an oversight in friendly damage doubles is a little dumb. Just want harder hitting smashes , tilts, and aerials, with bigger hitboxes. Grab range leaves more to be desired as well, would really love a longer one. And I have a weird wish that Jab gets a windbox. Hopefully he eon't get any more nerfs.
People who've already gotten ahold of 1.0.4 somehow haven't said anything about G&W, though a neutral-A windbox really makes sense. He shouldn't get any nerfs and it's possible Nintendo doesn't know about Pikawatch (yet). The main thing 1.0.4 is affecting is Rosalina, who got nerfed. Luma's respawn time got changed from 8 seconds to 13.

Game And Guy

Smash Cadet
Huh? People already have 1.0.4? I mean, I know it's most likely just Wii U 1.0.0, but still still.
In any case, for any future updates, hopefully some good ones for G&W. All this talk about how Smash 4 G&W needs to be played differently, but really you have to be honest to yourself: he will benefit even more from his older tools. He just needs ways to kill, and gimping isn't exactly the most reliable way.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well a lot of people (pros, specifically) are saying that there isn't necessarily any character that's BAD, and there's not really a top dog yet either. I could throw out a few names of who some are calling "the best" and who some are calling "the worst" but that's besides the point. With all this being taken into account, I'm not really sure how many more updates are going to be coming to balance the game out. Meaning G&W might not get too many more changes. Honestly, if the game is as balanced as it is (at this moment in time), then I think all we can expect for 3DS updates are a few minor tweaks to balance, and a lot of stuff that'll work out the techy bugs that left me without ICies and also left out some other parts of the 3DS version (ex. different modes the Wii U version has, but 3DS doesn't).Basically meaning that their going to be updating the game to be more igh tech than it currently is, without it's limitations (that is, until people start finding OP characters, then we'll get balancing tweaks again).

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
What I want more than anything even more than KO power is the old Hitboxes back but i know that'll never happen, because they changed all the characters hitboxes to match the moves

It's a change i really dislike, hitboxes not matching was a smash bros standard and fit this game, it also required spacing knowledge and allowed for a lot of cool stuff, and GW's massive hitboxes REALLY helped his character.

I miss my upsmash so much, the only time you can really use it is by challenging landingd with the invincibility. It's cool but all GW can punish with from a distance in this game is dash attack. Which leads to... more dash attacks, i wanna kill people though.

It's whatever though, I'm managing. I barely use Rosalina anymore, just sheik and GW

I never really feel like using Rosalina because it's like using Brawl ICs in friendlies... you can but they play so much differently than the other characters it doesn't really feel like the same game

like how you have to kinda gay out ICs and the game isn't even smash anymore, it's sorta the same.

Sheik and GW are really fun though. I just want a GC controller so i can glide across the stage with his slick movement.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
What I want more than anything even more than KO power is the old Hitboxes back but i know that'll never happen, because they changed all the characters hitboxes to match the moves

It's a change i really dislike, hitboxes not matching was a smash bros standard and fit this game, it also required spacing knowledge and allowed for a lot of cool stuff, and GW's massive hitboxes REALLY helped his character.

I miss my upsmash so much, the only time you can really use it is by challenging landingd with the invincibility. It's cool but all GW can punish with from a distance in this game is dash attack. Which leads to... more dash attacks, i wanna kill people though.

It's whatever though, I'm managing. I barely use Rosalina anymore, just sheik and GW

I never really feel like using Rosalina because it's like using Brawl ICs in friendlies... you can but they play so much differently than the other characters it doesn't really feel like the same game

like how you have to kinda gay out ICs and the game isn't even smash anymore, it's sorta the same.

Sheik and GW are really fun though. I just want a GC controller so i can glide across the stage with his slick movement.
Wii U version is coming. Less than a week away. You'll be playing Smash 4 with a GC controller in no time.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Guys.
WE GOT FLAT ZONE 1 IN SMASH U ALONG WITH FLAT ZONE 2
ALL ABOARD THE G&W TRAIN

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Guys.
WE GOT FLAT ZONE 1 IN SMASH U ALONG WITH FLAT ZONE 2
ALL ABOARD THE G&W TRAIN
You're kidding! You mean I'm finally going to get more Melee stages than were in Brawl?!?! YES! I never got to play Melee, but I've always wanted to (despite me thinking Brawl would still be better, we all have our opinions). At least I get to see G&W's Melee stage. Nice!

Though this does get me irked about one thing...G&W gets 2 stages, and R.O.B. gets nothing? C'MON NINTENDO! R.O.B. practically saved you! Give him a gosh-dang Gyromite stage!

You'd better not be lying bout this...just realized the little comment under your name...

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You're kidding! You mean I'm finally going to get more Melee stages than were in Brawl?!?! YES! I never got to play Melee, but I've always wanted to (despite me thinking Brawl would still be better, we all have our opinions). At least I get to see G&W's Melee stage. Nice!

Though this does get me irked about one thing...G&W gets 2 stages, and R.O.B. gets nothing? C'MON NINTENDO! R.O.B. practically saved you! Give him a gosh-dang Gyromite stage!

You'd better not be lying bout this...just realized the little comment under your name...

We have another home fellow Game & Watchers.
Thar she blows.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
If Flat Zone 2 has Flat Zone's music, what G&W music will Flat Zone get?

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
If Flat Zone 2 has Flat Zone's music, what G&W music will Flat Zone get?
Flat Zone 1 will probably get it's home Music back from FZ2, and I think both Flat Zones will get songs from the Game & Watch Gallery Series respective to the Games represented (example, Flat Zone 2 will get Fire - Modern and Flat Zone 1 will have Helmet - Modern)
What else is beyond me. :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, hope this doesn't happen in the next Smash installment. At most, G&W should have around 15 trophies (maybe a little less), one character (Mr. G&W), one Smash Run enemy, and 1 or 2 stages. You could also possibly throw in an item, too.
Did I just...? But I said 1-2 stages...O.O I'm a flipping magician! Granted we're probably not getting a G&W item or Smash Run enemy, but...more than 2 trophies (Brawl's #) is likely now. Lol.

Yay G&W representation!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Did I just...? But I said 1-2 stages...O.O I'm a flipping magician! Granted we're probably not getting a G&W item or Smash Run enemy, but...more than 2 trophies (Brawl's #) is likely now. Lol.

Yay G&W representation!
Alot of events seem to feature Game & Watch in some way as well.
Huzaah~

Top Bottom