• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Move utilization week #12: u-smash

etecoon

Smash Hero
get lucky with down throw
I think most if not all characters recover from their get up in place or roll behind you way before you can fsmash, if they buffer a roll behind you and you fsmash immediately they should still be able to shield I'm pretty sure

I actually use fsmash a decent amount because it is game changing if it lands but there's no way to land it aside from prediction and certain characters recoveries really, nades and mortars can make it harder to punish if you throw it out every now and then but it's still one of those things you can't really hit with much

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Fsmash can be pretty coo' if you're good at predicting and/or if you're good at mindgamez ..

Overall: 3/10

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
A good way to use this is to predict your opponent jumping back onto the stage (instead of going for the edge) and punishing his air dodge with this.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Like everyone said, predicting a jump and an airdodge. Even when accurately predicting this, it is still pretty hard to pull off. Horrible start up, horrible lag. you only need 45% to kill at uncharged (I didn't test this, but read it somewhere). Fsmash has a strange hitbox at ledges since it can reach under the ledge. I love fmashing at norfair due to all the platforms. C4 - mine setup leads to jump airdodges, which set me up for fsmash... these were friendlies though.

also, no one seemed to mention Fsmash for water kills yet. You can have them drowning by the edge and you know they will have to jump to avoid drowning. again, fsmash by the edge. another option if you don't want the double fair spike kill in water.

Strong, but too slow to be properly utilized. I say 2-3 / 10

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
F-smash is Snake's strongest move in terms of killing power, but one of his worst choice for kills. It's way too slow to be practical. There is always a faster choice with good results (UTilt, FTilt, NAir, etc.). But nobody expects it, so you can occasionally get a kill with it, if you know what you're doing. But overall, there are faster and safer options, regardless of your position.

Snakes most useless move. 4/10, it'd be a 2, if it wasn't so ripped.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
could be used as a mindgame by f-smashing while holding a nade, if they dont notice the nade they'll try to hit you and get hit by the nade.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake's F-smash is a really safe move with its low ending lag, so just keep that in mind.

You can mindgame a bit because it happens to hit pretty low so if you're standing on a platform and they try to jump from below...well see what happens lol.

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
even if they dont jump if theyre a tall char like ike they will be hit if theyre standing below you on a platform

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
fair is ten times more useful than f-smash

f-smash sucks honestly. even to punish air dodges because if you miss your ****ed. do a jab or something and react

the only thing i find fsmash useful for for is if you predict a spacie illusion (or some other non aerial momentum shifting recovery move) onto the stage

The_Demon_Barber

Smash Rookie
i like to use fsmash for a quick kill( if i can get it to land) i mean it can kill at 30% thats way too powerful. I will ledgegaurd with it, you know charging one up to kepp my opponet guessing and if theyre going for ledge you can time it just right and get em. I dont do it often though so i will agree its a 2/10. When are we gonna talk about the nakita I can never figure out when thats the right move to use

-Ran

Smash Master
I've successfully utilized F-smash in many tournament matches. It's all about committing. =) The key is lulling your opponent into a state where they won't expect it, and are assuming that something else will occur. For example...

Jab canceled - F-Smash.
Tech Chased predicted Roll behind you - F-Smash.
F Tilt first hit - F-Smash.
Spot dodge - F-Smash.
'Committed' F-smash to shield poke.

Most of the time when you Utilize F-Smash you aren't going to get Shield grabbed. The knock back from the push of the explosion will mostly make you safe. The main punish is if they have longer reach, and are prepared to take the risk.

Furthermore, F-Smash is Snake's SOUL CRUSHER. Nothing breaks a man's mojo like getting predicted and slammed with a F-smash. I'm serious.

EatMan

Smash Rookie
fsmash was designed to embarrass the ever loving **** out of illusion-ing falcos as payback for ghey chaingrabs. and that in itself opens up a whole new bag of mindgames. which is a good thing.

it throws off opponents who have settled into a swift sidestep ritual expecting a jabby tilt or a throw. having your laggy move finally prepare to throw out some serious hurt bombs the moment your opponents invinc frames wear off is a beautiful thing.

if you know the ins and outs of dthrow you can punish short rolls backwards.

its a solid basic mindgame for an opponent you know will tech away from a mine, c4, grenade, or walk-off stage. just dont get predictable with it or you'll be punished hard

it punishes abusive mortar sliders in dittos.

if you're playing a guy who loves to rushdown whenever you shielddrop a grenade, cancel the pickup into fsmash (if you have time), and watch their eyes go wide as snake shoots invisible beams of energy from his eyes and obliterates their approach.

and when they undoubtedly ***** about glitches and broken-ness just growl under your breath, "Terrible children, indeed." Or blame the Patriots.

Laugh and grow fat, gentlemen.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Jab canceled - F-Smash.
F Tilt first hit - F-Smash.
Okay, I seriously need to try that now.

I've landed the commited shieldpoke fsmash once though. It felt amazing.

Ran Iji basically summed it all up though.

Also, I give it an 8/10 because it's effing Snake.

He HAS no bad moves.

Even his worst should just be 8/10. =(

The_Demon_Barber

Smash Rookie
the fsmash is good in tournys because i think alot of people just think snake is a grenade camper that waits for an opening, and they base there counter strategies against snake off the videos they see online where not many snakes break out the fsmash. it helps keep snake unpredictable thats for sure

hyper92

Smash Rookie
When are we gonna talk about the nakita I can never figure out when thats the right move to use
nikita is only good for off the ledge chasing after your opponent is knocked off the stage IMO.
my reasoning for this is that nikita has horrible starting and ending lag, which makes it very punishable if used otherwise.

and also to contribute to the thread i find fsmash not that good a move. most times my friends react fast enough to just smash me first during the starting lag of fsmash. but i agree that it is a move that has the greatest satisfaction when you land it.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
After testing this in my spare time, and numerous friendlies, I've decided that fsmash not that bad, probably on par or just below fair. It's really unpredictable. And like fair, when you hit your opponent with it, you get a warm and fuzzy feeling from watching their pride go down the toilet.

There are still a couple of problems with it. Although it's really hard to be shieldgrabbed out of fsmash, you still can be if they spotdodge it, and react fast enough to it. This happened to me a lot once people realized this. (I'm not too sure on this actually, if I'm wrong, please let me know.)

Snake's fsmash is really fun to use, and the most gratifying out of all of Snake's moves when you land a hit with it. But as I said in my first post about this move, there's always better and safer options. I would still never give it anything past a 4-5/10, only because it's so unpredictable, and hits like a bus full of fat kids.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Anything that's horrible to use a lot is great to use sparingly. No one expects it, and the moment you pull it out, most people are generally, WTF?

Mindgames baby.

etecoon

Smash Hero
and when they undoubtedly ***** about glitches and broken-ness just growl under your breath, "Terrible children, indeed." Or blame the Patriots.

Laugh and grow fat, gentlemen.
The nanomachines did it.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Fsmash is legit if you can use it at the right times, its just difficult to use. Me says 3/10 cuz its pro if you land but....VERY high risk high reward situation :0

Kly

Smash Rookie
If your opponent has a good spacing, i don't believe you will hit him with Fsmash.
3/10 because it can be useful, when olimar recover from the high for example, and it can change a match result easily.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
There are so many ways to utilize fsmash.... it's all about commitment.

/Loves that warm feeling I get fsmashing people out of their recoveries
/Loves that warm feeling when I fsmash them when they are on the ledge so long as they do not ledgehop
/Loves that warm feeling when I predict a roll behind me.
/Loves that warm feeling when they think they are safe below me
/Loves that warm feeling I get when I single jab lock > fsmash

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Auto Sweet Spotting ledges kills one of the most potential uses for the RPG-7.
You know ASL spoils you.
Actually, what killed the RPG-7 the most was the fact that it's just an explosion and NOT A PROJECTILE. ;-;

Seriously, I would've LOVED if Snake's Fsmash was a downwards-angled projectile, I mean seriously that would be so broken.

At least some characters like Wario(lol) or Wolf lack sweetspots large enough to avoid the fsmash! =D

Sukai

Smash Champion
Forward Smash sucks.
It's only good for reading rolldodges way in advance, trying for an early kill or sandbagging.
Plus he almost always has better options.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
I'd say 9/10

Mortar sliding
Massive upward range
Spammable
Can combo with throws, tilts, c4, mines
Combos with itself at lower percentages
Damage doesn't change with charging

My only real problem with u-smash is the dismal priority, but that balances it out.

Roxas1988

Smash Journeyman
U-tilt is gods gift to snake in this game. Kills at ridiculously low and i mean low percents. And the f-tilt is just not fair. And dont get me started on the u-tilt. You see i had to mention it twice.Its a move that is broken for no apparent reason. Use to kill.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
U-tilt is gods gift to snake in this game. Kills at ridiculously low and i mean low percents. And the f-tilt is just not fair. And dont get me started on the u-tilt. You see i had to mention it twice.Its a move that is broken for no apparent reason. Use to kill.
Read the thread topic. It's U-smash.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I missed the discussion for fsmash but there's one use I'd like to mention: You can use it against D3 to punish his recovery if he doesn't get to the ledge. You can use dair for that too depending on the situation but if you can reliably hit with fsmash you should by all means go for it. Obviously, this works against other characters too but D3 is most likely of them all to land onstage with such a lag - good thing it works best against the character, who happens to be Snake's worst match-up :laugh:

I really like usmash a lot. Now that I play Snake a lot more than I used to back in the day, I really start to apprectate that move a lot more. It's a key move in some of Snake's most difficult match-ups...especially D3. If you use usmash you can not only predict his approach options a lot easier but you can also break out of the CG. If you use grenades to "block" those waddle dee's off then he can only approach on the ground with ftilt, which you can punish with a dash attack. The match-up would be a lot harder if Snake didn't have that option.
It's also VERY good against Diddy Kong because it limits his approach options with bananas a lot. If he is about to throw a banana you can usmash and even if the banana hits you afterwards it'll be difficult for Diddy to run straight up to you and punish your trip.
Other match-up's that I love to use this move in are Ice Climbers, Olimar and MK. In essence it's good against Snake's most common enemies (MK, D3, ICs and Diddy) except Marth.

9/10

:059:

napZzz

Smash Hero
If diddy times a side b correctly he doesn't get hit by the mortar and will either hump your face or I think he can just kick and beat it. Not sure about that one

anyways to stay on topic

usmash 9/10
Spammable
Limits approaching options for characters
Able to do little "combos" with grabs, tilts, and occasionally other things
Great for edge guarding
Limits options no matter where you use it
mortar slide!!!!

its uses are pretty obvious, mostly for camping and making edge guarding easier I guess. But its easily one of my top 3 fav snake moves to abuse.

Underload

Lazy
Pros:
Usmash is the best anti-air move in the game, in my opinion.
It's used in mortarsliding, once of Snake's most important tools.
Limits tons of options and approaches for opponents.

Cons:
The initial hitbox is balls.
No use OoS.
Mortars themselves have pretty low priority, clank with a good amount of moves, cancelled out by even more.

8/10.

8 or 9/10

It's a projectile smash and can be use as an edgeguarding move (At the edge) but has low priority

Superspright

Smash Lord
Usmash is an amazing move. I think everyone has gotten all the details down pretty well. The only thing I disagree with is that once in a while I will just upsmash right next to my opponent to pop them up, charge it for a second to bait the air dodge and then launch it usually right into them as they are air dodging--once the invincibility frames are up. KABOOM. I know it isn't practical all the time--but it's a nice mixup, and gets people thinking.

Top Bottom