• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Danke.

Following on from this, I had another question (So sorry if this isn't the right place!). How does one perform tilts efficiently? I tend to tilt a little too quickly when trying to perform tilts, resulting in me performing Dedede's Side-smash and leaving me wide open.
One method that some people use, is changing your C-stick to go from Smash to Tilt.

For big heavy characters like Ganon, DK, Bowser, Dedede, Ike to me it makes sense to do it because your margin for error is low since big's have smash attacks that can get interrupted because of the tremendous start leg and end lag. And for most bigs, tilts give just as much damage as f-smash. Although Ganon's can KO most characters with f-tilt at low percentage if they have bad recovery.

Last edited:

randomguy1235

Smash Apprentice
Danke.

Following on from this, I had another question (So sorry if this isn't the right place!). How does one perform tilts efficiently? I tend to tilt a little too quickly when trying to perform tilts, resulting in me performing Dedede's Side-smash and leaving me wide open.
I just set the C-stick to Attack in the control options

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Link can still get Jab 1 -> Jab 2 -> various things strings any ways, his jab is just much more tame now.

Dedede's Jab 1 -> Jab 2 stuff doesn't even work on half the cast, and I'm pretty sure you can just SDI out of it anyways.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Yep I still use it a lot, I was incredibly dismayed to find out ZSS can throw out a jab between the first two hits of our jab though. Learned that the hard way...though it was just friendlies.

I find it's not as reliable on many of our problem characters, which kinda stinks.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
And then there's the sourspot, which is probably the bane of my existence. Seriously. Logically, the sweetspot/sourspot makes sense, as the head of the hammer would hit harder than the handle. Within the game, though, the existence of sourspots on many of his moves are horribly balanced.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
BTW I played Brawl the other day and Dedede's ftilt is so deliciously good in that game. There's a few things I think Smash 4's ftilt does better (retreating pivot tilts, for one thing) but man, walk up -> ftilt seemed like a really powerful option in Brawl. Of course my friend and I never played Brawl competitively, but still.

It's kinda silly how many of his attacks were faster or covered better range in Brawl, yet the only thing that really keeps him up there in the tier list is his amazing dthrow. I know Smash 4 is a different game and all, but I think it kind of puts into perspective Dedede's relative placement. You could give him a lot of buffs to frame data and hitbox placement, and he wouldn't necessarily place better relative to Brawl Dedede.

Smash 4 Dedede is SUPER fun though, if they could bring in some of his attributes from Brawl (without making him over-bearing) I think he'd be even more interesting and fun to use.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
DDD was pretty good in Brawl, even without chaingrabs.
Great range, a functional grab (much more than 4's), true walling options...
I miss that...
:196:

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
BTW I played Brawl the other day and Dedede's ftilt is so deliciously good in that game. There's a few things I think Smash 4's ftilt does better (retreating pivot tilts, for one thing) but man, walk up -> ftilt seemed like a really powerful option in Brawl. Of course my friend and I never played Brawl competitively, but still.
Probably one of the most subtle changes yet one that affects me way too much from the transition to Brawl was making ftilt transcendent. Like damn I so miss being able to throw out that huge hitbox to clank out projectiles and maybe catch the opponent with it as well. Right now even simple projectiles like Zero Suit's Paralyser tend to be way too much trouble to get around than they should be.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hi everyone. Been gone for a long time, I know.

I'm sorry. For everything I have and, most importantly, haven't done.
As a community leader, I've made a ton of mistakes. To be blunt with it hurts me, but it's something I have to accept and apologize for.
Any of you who are competitively involved with this character probably can relate to what I've gone through over the course of this game's lifespan.
It's hard for me to really articulate how much this has hurt me. As a player and member of this community, yes, but it's ran much deeper than that as time went on. I tried and tried to fix my attitude, I tried and tried to actually be a good leader, but every time I tried I just felt such deep emotional pain...
As much as I love this character, as much as I love all of you, I can't dance around it any longer, just hoping if I take enough time off, stuff will just magically get better. I deserve better, and, most importantly, all of you deserve better. You deserve someone who can better avoid those pitfalls, lead this section to a bright, healthy future, and be here when needed.
Text can't really express how sorry I am for this. For this entire span of several months...

All of this to say, I'm not assigned here anymore as a mod. And I'm not dedicating my time to this character any longer as a main. This has piled up to the point that I can't have fun with this character anymore. I'd like to continue to enjoy this game and be part of the community built around it, but I've realized that I'm no longer capable of doing so through this character.
For my own happiness and well-being, and for this community's future, I feel I must do this, and I must apologize for that...
I'm so sorry for all this... If I could apologize a million more times, I would.

All of that said, I'm aware that I'm still one of the more knowledgeable players when it comes to this character, so if anyone ever has questions for me, I'll be happy to answer.
To whoever wants to start the MU discussion back up, I'll be happy to offer analysis for MUs I'm experienced in.
Etc.
If and when Dedede gets the buffs that this community so rightfully deserves for the amount of passion put in, maybe I'll be able to return without feeling so much pain.
But, until then, I'm sorry for my mistakes and how they have affected this here board, and I'm sorry to get up and leave on such a note. But it's something I feel will be better for everyone in the end.

Long live the King <3

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Man, sounds awful.
I know it isn't as easy as saying "don't take it like that", but keep in mind that two things: first that you have no responsibility over anything at the DDD community, whatever happens to the meta is a collection of efforts shared and applied; and second, that Smash is just a game, so I deeply hope you soon find again the fun behind playing it (and as an attempt to keep you on it, you may want to play doubles, DDD is an amazing doubles character :p).

Whatever the case, be strong, you'll always have support. Not sure if the whole community's, but at the very least, mine. ♥

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Yeah, it's pretty frustrating to play one of the now worst characters in the game. Nobody should blame you, and I wish you the best of luck.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Shrooby, you certainly have my support with this move! You have obviously spent a long time thinking about this, and there is no shame in picking up a new character who lets your time and dedication with them directly correlate with tournament results. Just know that you have still done a lot for this community, and I think I speak for everyone on this board when I say that you have been, and will continue to be a valued member of our community!

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Hi everyone. Been gone for a long time, I know.

I'm sorry. For everything I have and, most importantly, haven't done.
As a community leader, I've made a ton of mistakes. To be blunt with it hurts me, but it's something I have to accept and apologize for.
Any of you who are competitively involved with this character probably can relate to what I've gone through over the course of this game's lifespan.
It's hard for me to really articulate how much this has hurt me. As a player and member of this community, yes, but it's ran much deeper than that as time went on. I tried and tried to fix my attitude, I tried and tried to actually be a good leader, but every time I tried I just felt such deep emotional pain...
As much as I love this character, as much as I love all of you, I can't dance around it any longer, just hoping if I take enough time off, stuff will just magically get better. I deserve better, and, most importantly, all of you deserve better. You deserve someone who can better avoid those pitfalls, lead this section to a bright, healthy future, and be here when needed.
Text can't really express how sorry I am for this. For this entire span of several months...

All of this to say, I'm not assigned here anymore as a mod. And I'm not dedicating my time to this character any longer as a main. This has piled up to the point that I can't have fun with this character anymore. I'd like to continue to enjoy this game and be part of the community built around it, but I've realized that I'm no longer capable of doing so through this character.
For my own happiness and well-being, and for this community's future, I feel I must do this, and I must apologize for that...
I'm so sorry for all this... If I could apologize a million more times, I would.

All of that said, I'm aware that I'm still one of the more knowledgeable players when it comes to this character, so if anyone ever has questions for me, I'll be happy to answer.
To whoever wants to start the MU discussion back up, I'll be happy to offer analysis for MUs I'm experienced in.
Etc.
If and when Dedede gets the buffs that this community so rightfully deserves for the amount of passion put in, maybe I'll be able to return without feeling so much pain.
But, until then, I'm sorry for my mistakes and how they have affected this here board, and I'm sorry to get up and leave on such a note. But it's something I feel will be better for everyone in the end.

Long live the King <3
I respect your decision. No one is forcing you to play Dedesy or mod this board. I thank you for what you did. You were definitely a super cool mod. We'll definitely miss you around here.
That said, who will be the new mod?

I volunteer. I'll honestly never ever stop playing Dedede.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I appreciate the support wow!

Any who, I spoke to one of the admins regarding the mod situation, and the long and short of it is that the choice will not be made immediately so it's very possible we will remain modless for a while. So we will just have to stick it out for a bit. I will defi itely stay updated and keep you guys too as best as I can.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Modless = Without a designated mod
It doesn't mean nobody can help managing the board. *hinthint*

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Someone should post a video on using A Landings for Dedede.
I tried it and dair surprisingly is the best option. It's only 1-6 frames chance while the others are at most 1-4. It's tricky, but you get the hang of it fast. What seems to work for me is that I time it so that dedede is halfway to bringing the hammer over his head before the downswing.

jarbAin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4124-6082-4371
Just signed to smashboards, and not really knowing what should be done. The logical thing to do is of course go to the home of our only true and supreme ruler, King Dedede.
I have pledged allegiance to his majesty since i got smash 4, and i know that i am not mistaken. He just has it all, style, grace and funny face.
I actually arrived to dedede country when i first played brawl. My friend thought my pick was bad. (I did lose badly.)
Now i know how to clobbah. They ain't laughin' at me no more.
And i say to you, my fellow Dedede mains: The DDDay will come, and then we will reign victorious.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Just signed to smashboards, and not really knowing what should be done.
Welcome to the Boards and to the Dedede threads. We're always happy to have newcomers. If you haven't seen Soul Train's guide yet, you should go take a look regardless of how long you've played Dedede. I hope you like it here! :4dedede:

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Alright guys I'm gonna go ahead and do the honors of getting the MU thread back into shape. I'll continue in shrooby shrooby 's list; although of will be a little misleading since I won't be able to edit the OP or thread title, so bear with me.

I'll be starting the discussion after this posting.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Alright guys I'm gonna go ahead and do the honors of getting the MU thread back into shape. I'll continue in shrooby shrooby 's list; although of will be a little misleading since I won't be able to edit the OP or thread title, so bear with me.

I'll be starting the discussion after this posting.
I'll get ownership of the thread transferred to you.

King of the Spring

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-3964-1589
So uh...

Hi there.

I'm sorta-new-ish-but-not-really to the smash community, and have only just now decided that maybe I should stop lurking and actually start posting, and what better place to start than the boards of my main man D? I mean really, how could you not love a face like this?

Anyway, I mostly play Smash 4 and Project M(RIP), maining THE SUPAHERO DEDEDEMAN in both(though I also play a good amount of other characters, particularly Sonic & Meta Knight)... and uh, yeah, that's pretty much all I can think to say right now...

Also I have a gift.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I really wanted Wolf back and I don't know who else to complain to? Did Dedede at least get buffed?
Unless he had FAF changes on stuff, no. He got some minor parameter tweaks but just looking at the patch notes they don't seem to do anything of note.

You guys should go try out Cloud and the newly buffed Bowser, though. They're pretty fun.

Gattsu

Smash Rookie
NNID
despiarinducing
At least we got something.
Maybe next patch.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
At least we got something.
Maybe next patch.
Actually this pretty much proves that we'll never get buffed lol. The fact that they buffed our Final Smash and this pretty much means they remember Dedede but simply don't care enough to do anything to help him, whereas other, more better off characters, like Lucas and arguably Kirby are getting buffed. It's not gonna happen and I've been saying it for a long time. They don't care about Dedede. We have to work with what we got.

Last edited:

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Now, I expect a lot of hate for this, but I'm actually kinda GLAD Dedede's still low-tier. Since he's as low as he is, it means the people we play against will most likely not expect much of a challenge, and thus underestimate us, which perfectly sets us up for trolling mayhem (Especially with the crouch spam)!

But hey, what do I know.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Can someone tell me what these are about? I'm away from my Wii U for awhile, so I can't check myself. The changes to the Super Dedede Jump sound like a nerf to me.
  • Neutral Special 1/3
    • Small timing tweak
  • Up Special 1/2/3
    • Facing Restriction added to descent and landing hitboxes

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Inhale tweak actually benefits us. Basically lowers the recovery on it. Now we can edgeguard with our command grab and not die.

Facing restriction on Super D3 Jump is purely cosmetic.

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom