• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

Mr.Dreamland

Smash Rookie
Hello, Im Mr.Dreamland and Im a Dedede main, Secondaries being Kirby and Metaknight. Ive been a fan of the Kirby series ever since I played Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland as a kid, and love every Kirby game that has come out after. I mained Kirby in 64 and melee (unfortunately), but once Brawl came out and Dedede was in my grasp, I knew he would be my eternal main for every smash game to come. And in Smash 4 I honestly believe this is the best Dedede has ever felt and looked. I have a goal, as we all do, to become the world's best Dedede. One day I hope to have the tourney results for someone like Esam, ZeRo, or Nairo to recognize my name. But its all in good fun. I hope to learn alot from this thread. Thank you for allowing me to be here :kirby2:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hello :4dedede:s. I'm curious about D3 in this game and I'd like to know more about the state of D3's metagame and where you think he is currently. I am no stranger to D3 as I mained him for a long time in Brawl (I was Tech_Chase during this time). I stopped using him in this game because he just didn't feel the same. But both MK and D3 have been my favorites since Brawl. There's another D3 in my scene (King James) and I see him do well. I feel I could add a lot to the community as I do the MK community. At this point, I'd rather just use what I enjoy and pick it up from there. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and see what's going on with the penguins. Thanks!

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Yeesh. The dreamland group is tightly intertwined.

Hi everybody! I will be using frosty dedede now. I think he might one of those characters that I really like.

May I ask something of dedede?

Why does his fair do the same amount of damage as his nair, but is twice as slow and is a big hammer swing instead of him stretching?
Also, why does dedede's hammer have such bad animation-hitbox sync? (Real bad lack of word)

Mr.Dreamland

Smash Rookie
Yeesh. The dreamland group is tightly intertwined.

Hi everybody! I will be using frosty dedede now. I think he might one of those characters that I really like.

May I ask something of dedede?

Why does his fair do the same amount of damage as his nair, but is twice as slow and is a big hammer swing instead of him stretching?
Also, why does dedede's hammer have such bad animation-hitbox sync? (Real bad lack of word)
I believe the reason fair and nair do the same amount of damage but different amounts of speed is because they serve different purposes, Nair being fast and sets up stuff but not alot of range, Fair, due to its range at the front, being good for edge guarding and combos from Down throw at higher percents than Nair can. As for the animation thing, I think its just Nintendo not hearing an outcry of complaints about it that it hasn't been patched yet.
Assuming that wasnt a sarcastic post that the best answers I can come up with myself. Hope I helped/humored you :sonic:

Daryl Maxwell

Smash Rookie
I'm Blaccident. I just started playing smash competively when 3ds came out. I was maining Ness till tried the King for the first time and I was hooked. My favortie part is the amount of trolling you can pull off with this character. I hope to meet and a lot of D3 mains and level up.

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Hey everyone! :4dedede:

Been a huge fan of Dedede as a character for a while, picked up as a main since his debut in brawl and regularly play him still today. Love to go online with him as well, always a great time! :)

Hope you all have a great day!

:003:

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
I believe the reason fair and nair do the same amount of damage but different amounts of speed is because they serve different purposes, Nair being fast and sets up stuff but not alot of range, Fair, due to its range at the front, being good for edge guarding and combos from Down throw at higher percents than Nair can. As for the animation thing, I think its just Nintendo not hearing an outcry of complaints about it that it hasn't been patched yet.
Assuming that wasnt a sarcastic post that the best answers I can come up with myself. Hope I helped/humored you :sonic:
Thanks! I like dedede, but not what they do to him.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
Btw, I'm also totally for a Dedede boards event.
Honestly, I kind of just want to rant at someone who understands, you know? Soul Train put it pretty well a month or so ago. It's just so exhausting to keep putting hopes up to watch them drop again with every patch. Plus,I constantly hear other players rip into Dedede calling him a Wi-Fi character, a spam character, a brain dead character when I'm just absolutely slaving this low-tier character into something viable. It would be nice to talk to someone about Dedede that isn't saying how awful or unfair he is.

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Honestly, I kind of just want to rant at someone who understands, you know? Soul Train put it pretty well a month or so ago. It's just so exhausting to keep putting hopes up to watch them drop again with every patch. Plus,I constantly hear other players rip into Dedede calling him a Wi-Fi character, a spam character, a brain dead character when I'm just absolutely slaving this low-tier character into something viable. It would be nice to talk to someone about Dedede that isn't saying how awful or unfair he is.
Use that as your fuel so you can bathe in their blood after you 2 stock them.

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
You mean like a Dedede-only tournament? I'm down for that. It would be cool, since Dedede gets a lot of cool combos on himself

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
Omg I just beat the number 1 pr member in my state zinoto 2_0 with d3. This might be the best win in d3 history. Yes it was on stream I will post the match once it uploaded to YouTube.

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Omg I just beat the number 1 pr member in my state zinoto 2_0 with d3. This might be the best win in d3 history. Yes it was on stream I will post the match once it uploaded to YouTube.
ZINOTO???

HYPE

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Well, I had some fun at my local smash tourney on Friday at Oomba. I performed horribly in the regular singles tourney. Went out 0-2 vs a Kirby then a Fox. Just wasn't my day. However, after the singles tourney was finished, one of the players wanted to make a doubles tournament. I signed up with @JadedTimberwolf and we actually got on stream. We lost that as well (0-2), since only really good players decided to stay for that.

Not like I really had much of a chance to get far in the tourney. Amazing players were there, like Mr. ConCon, the 23rd ranked player in Smash 4, and a guy named Markus who beat him!

However, I noticed that nobody was commentating the doubles tourney, so I joked with Jaded saying "what if we just went into the commentating room and started doing commentary?" It was a joke, and we laughed about it, but then I thought about it, and wondered, what if we ACTUALLY did that? I walked over to the door of the room, and looked back at Jaded for approval. She looked unsure about this, then I said "YOLO" and walked in (This can be heard faintly on stream right before I enter). Then I actually did do commentary on the doubles tourney with no permission! Just walked in and started talking, playing it off as if Jaded and I were meant to be there. I had no idea what I was doing, but I was just having fun! I was living the dream of commentating high level matches where Mr. ConCon was fighting on stream!

Later on, the owner of the stream (Mr. Navi) walked in to pack things up, and he saw me in there, commentating, and he said "what are you doing in here?", and I said "commentating!" And he laughed! I only knew Navi a little bit, as we played about three weeks ago, and I came REALLY close to beating him with Dedede, but failed, so I basically was a random dude that just walked in and started talking, so thanks to Navi for being so cool about it!

If you guys wanted to see me doing ABSOLUTELY TOP NOTCH commentary over some otherwise serious matches, here is the link to the stream: http://www.twitch.tv/oombamedia/v/25674556
I come into the room around 2:42:30, and I commentate two sets with Jaded before leaving to finish our role in the doubles tourney, then I come back alone a while later, and commentate friendlies for the rest of the stream. Its pretty hilarious how things turned out! Also, if you wanted to see Jaded and I lose in doubles, we play at 2:28:30. I am open to criticism, but as I said that was not my best night. But I sure got my money's worth out of commentating for fun!

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Heyo! My name's Edd, I call myself Anatase because why not, and Dedede is the best thing to happen to Nintendo. Period.

I'm still new to the competitive scene though (As in, I've never been to a tournament or anything at all), so any tips would be just splendid, as would the names of any high-level Dedede players; I'd love to watch them and/or study their technique(s). Cheers!

Silly Symphony

Smash Cadet
NNID
scoota100
Hi there Edd,

Starting off, if you want a competitive Dedede guide, there is no better guide on the internet than Soul Train's guide. I'll post a link to the forum page here: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...dsets-normals-combos-and-gordos-oh-my.394859/

I'll also post some tips and tricks of myself too, as Dedede needs more than just the right move at the right time to win in this game.

First: you have 4 air jumps and an UpB that comes back from the moon. Because of this, you can camp out in the air and even just above the blast zone, waiting for your opponent to become impatient and do something stupid. Use these jumps to be as unpredicable as possible.

Second: be zen. Dedede is combo food but doesn't die until very high percentages. As such it's easy to become demotivated.

Third: pivots are you friend, they are part of the bait-and-switch that Dedede can do like no other.

Final: Learn your Gordo. It's a tool with massive potential, but misuse can be catastrophic.

Advanced 1: Shorthop inhale can catch opponents off guard. When the opponent is shielding just outside of inhale reach, they're baiting for a grab or an areal approach. As such, when you shorthop, they're preparing to punish an areal with a grab, falling victim to the inhale.

Advanced 2: When in trouble in the air, float above the camera and drop an uptilted Gordo. This can make your landing smoother by keeping the opponent busy.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Anatase Anatase check out the D3 video thread. You can also search Jdawg on youtube he is featured a lot on vgbootcamp's channel. Don't pay as much attention as I'd like to any other D3 players but there are good ones out there.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I thought most thought Dedede as even or even had an advantage in the matchup. Whenever I mention it and how tough it is for me, I'm told I must be playing wrong.
I can't see how it is good for him. I would like to see a few top D3's face off against Rayquaza or Dabuz. Honestly never witnessed the MU but on paper it just seems like D3 can't do anything. Maybe it could actually be a good MU for him. The post was meant more as a joke but just to say it again I don't see how D3 can win.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I have noticed that the smashboards front page has been doing 'low tier spotlights' titled "Three Expert Opinions on Smash 4 [character]". So far they have done one for Zelda and Mewtwo. Do you guys think it is likely that DDD will get one? If so, who would be our three best spokespeople?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill I summon thee.

Big D, Jdawg, and Shrooby would probably be the three to talk to. I think between the three we'd have the best mix of results and match-up experience. Soul Train and Girthquake would also be good references, and there's also El Bardo.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I started using Dedede yesterday, because I lost to him at Tipped Off. I wanted to learn how Dedede works because I use Wario, and the matchup gives me a hardtime. What started as me in solo training just testing out his moves, turned into me playing online with him for hours.

Now I think he's probably in my Top 5 now. Wario-Dedede-DK-Ganon-Duck Hunt

Man out of all the bigs, I probably like Dedede's spacing better than the other bigs. DK has the best ground movement, Ganon most raw power. But I can space with Dedede like crazy.

Other than Wario, he's probably the funnest character for me to play with now.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Took me a long time to post in this thread but here i am. I've been maining Dedede in Smash 4 alongside Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr. since Smash 3DS was first released internationally. Not much else i can say.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
LiteralGrill LiteralGrill I summon thee.

Big D, Jdawg, and Shrooby would probably be the three to talk to. I think between the three we'd have the best mix of results and match-up experience. Soul Train and Girthquake would also be good references, and there's also El Bardo.
AM SUMMONED!

Yes, I'd be totally down doing one for DeDeDe. Next week I managed to get Shulk info super quick but maybe the one after if I can get info from folks? Like, the best place to contact some of these guys would be stellar. :)

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
AM SUMMONED!

Yes, I'd be totally down doing one for DeDeDe. Next week I managed to get Shulk info super quick but maybe the one after if I can get info from folks? Like, the best place to contact some of these guys would be stellar. :)
Most of the players I mentioned here are fairly active in the D3 boards, so you could probably send a message to them through Smashboards. Not sure about social media and stuff.

@El_Bardo posts here sometimes, he might be able to offer another point of view considering he's not from the US.

Anatase

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilentHuntsman
Forward-tilt.
Danke.

Following on from this, I had another question (So sorry if this isn't the right place!). How does one perform tilts efficiently? I tend to tilt a little too quickly when trying to perform tilts, resulting in me performing Dedede's Side-smash and leaving me wide open.

Top Bottom