• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mount Dedede - His Majesty's Social Thread (Come in and Introduce Yourself!)

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Let's see here...
My ground game consisted of jab, dash attack, down smash, and gordos. And my air game consisted of... forward air.
I thought up tilted gordos were terrible.
And I thought down air was the king's best edgeguarding tool since I played mario previously and thought spike = good.

How I evolved from a filthy peasant to a grandiose king!

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Hay all. I'm a long time smash player, but only started playing seriously in smash4.

Now, I liked dedede in brawl, but smash4? Oh my God, he is in a class of his own. Without a doubt, dedede is my best character; my win/loss record on FG is 200 wins vs 108 losses. His raw power, his recovery, his gordos! I love it all!

And the shenanigans you can get up to! Inhale off stage, gordo mindgames, the jet hammer, d-tild taunt, etc. Dedede is just a fun character. If ganondorf is the king of disrespect, then dedede is the king of fun.

I have a ton of replays I'll be uploading to my channel soon, so hopefully you guys will be willing to watch and give me some tips or advice on how to improve my dedede (but then again, how do you improve that which is already perfect?).:4dedede:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Hey guys.
I'm attending a Smash tournament and I've pressured convinced some of my friends to enter. None play Smash competitively, but I at least want to set them up not be slaughtered. One is convinced that he wants to play King Dedede. What are some of the basic things I can teach him? How should he be throwing his Gordos around? Any neat and simple combos I should pass on?
10/10, I'm teaching him to do this.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Hey guys.
I'm attending a Smash tournament and I've pressured convinced some of my friends to enter. None play Smash competitively, but I at least want to set them up not be slaughtered. One is convinced that he wants to play King Dedede. What are some of the basic things I can teach him? How should he be throwing his Gordos around? Any neat and simple combos I should pass on?

10/10, I'm teaching him to do this.
First thing, Gordos arn't spammable projectiles. They're for influencing your opponent and limiting their options. The easiest trick is to angle it so it bounces on the edge of the stage. Meanwhile you can charge fSmash very safely. Or chase your opponent off-stage, which is also safe, since Dedede has many jumps and great recovery.
Basicly, Dedede shines when your opponent is off-stage.

That aside, know which moves are quick, which ones are disjointed.
dTilt and nAir both come out very quickly. One trick is too fast fall onto your opponent with a nAir.
fTilt has a nice disjointed hitbox, so does fAir and uAir.
dSmash is good for punishing rolls, uSmash and fSmash are decently safe when the opponent is off-stage and the Gordo is bouncing. Otherwise, fSmash is not a very safe move (but it's hitbox' size is deceiving, it extends a bit outside of the hammer, but only as a sourspot).

Finally; know your killmoves.
fSmash can kill at 60% if you do everything right, but it's slow and risky.
bAir is fairly reliable, but you need to know how the hitbox comes out, since it's a little delayed.
uAir can also kill and is pretty safe.
dSmash is a pretty good kill move, and uSmash is okay, it's sweet- and sourspots are a lil' weird.

Finally, dThrow combos into nAir and fAir at lower %s and uAir at higher %s.
Other than that, use the throws to get your opponent off-stage, that's where you want them.
dTilt can also combo into fTilt.

Another thing is that you can use the jab to hit the opponent twice and then not do the full combo. The second hit has great reach and pulls opponents torwards Dedede. You can follow up with a grab, fTilt or a dSmash.

Also, you can reflect a reflected Gordo. Only throw it out when you want your opponent to go somewhere (example: opponent is in the air, throw a Gordo under him or her, they'll move away and you can jump up and intercept them).
You can also re-catch reflected Gordos with L/R in the air.

Last edited:

Interrobang!?

Smash Rookie
Went to a tournament yesterday for the first time as a D3 main yesterday! I got seventh and was the only person to take a game off the eventual winner of the whole damn thing. Not a bad start :halfsheep:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How's it going fellow D3s

I digitally bought Smash 3DS two days ago and used Dedede on Classic Intensity 4.0 and damn, I'm taking a surprising liking to him. I might dedicate to him along with Pac-Man, Villager, Shulk, Kirby and Captain Falcon. I might try out all the characters actually (mind you I haven't unlocked every hidden one yet and bought Mewtwo but haven't used him much yet)

And yeah, I'm a scrub who is rusty and still needs to git gud

Also shoutout to @ Oblivion129 Oblivion129 and @ AlvisCPU AlvisCPU

Last edited:

Mr_Parchy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mr_Parchy
Hello D3 mains. I have been playing smash for a long time. granted I only started being competitive at the start of sm4sh's life cycle. I have finally decided to make an account on smashboards and to become more active in the community. I just dropped by to say hi and I'm looking forward to playing with some of you in the future

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Hello D3 mains. I have been playing smash for a long time. granted I only started being competitive at the start of sm4sh's life cycle. I have finally decided to make an account on smashboards and to become more active in the community. I just dropped by to say hi and I'm looking forward to playing with some of you in the future
Good to have ya!
Welcome to the Boards.~

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I want everyone to try this: When facing a captain falcon 1v1, at the beginning of the match, just stay in place and hold your jab, and just keep spinning the hammer. I have found that 9 times out of 10, the captain falcon will literally run straight into the hammer. Still don't stop, because 50% of them will run straight back into it when they escape. I have even had a few idiots who run into it three or more (yes I said or more) times, and not just to be funny. I thought this might be exclusive to FG noobs, but I entered an online tournament once, and I was facing a captain falcon, and I actually tried this, and EVEN HE RAN RIGHT INTO IT! I might make a compilation of these moments one day.

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I want everyone to try this: When facing a captain falcon 1v1, at the beginning of the match, just stay in place and hold your jab, and just keep spinning the hammer. I have found that 9 times out of 10, the captain falcon will literally run straight into the hammer. Still don't stop, because 50% of them will run straight back into it when they escape. I have even had a few idiots who run into it three or more (yes I said or more) times, and not just to be funny. I thought this might be exclusive to FG noobs, but I entered an online tournament once, and I was facing a captain falcon, and I actually tried this, and EVEN HE RAN RIGHT INTO IT! I might make a compilation of these moments one day.
For Glory booooiz :yeahboi:

I guess I'll just have to...

Jump over you. :drflip:

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
The time is near for information and... we already have the information. Anyone going to get themselves a brand spankin' new character? I'll definitely get lucas and ryu.

And question, will dreamland be a favorable stage for the king of dreamland? The wide blastlines will certainly make KOing us more difficult while we could care less when it comes to KOing them back.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
The time is near for information and... we already have the information. Anyone going to get themselves a brand spankin' new character? I'll definitely get lucas and ryu.

And question, will dreamland be a favorable stage for the king of dreamland? The wide blastlines will certainly make KOing us more difficult while we could care less when it comes to KOing them back.
I'm getting every single character, mode, and stage no matter what.

Although I'm a little worried that we'll have essentially three Battlefields in the game now. Playing D3, rarely do I like going on Battlefield, and now I might have to use my precious bans on Battlefields.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I'm getting every single character, mode, and stage no matter what.

Although I'm a little worried that we'll have essentially three Battlefields in the game now. Playing D3, rarely do I like going on Battlefield, and now I might have to use my precious bans on Battlefields.
If Dreamland is anything like it is in 64/Melee, it's not going to be as big of a deal as you probably think. The stage is bigger, so that you're probably less like to get stuck on the platforms. And while most characters won't have the range to catch you off a platform with a tilt/smash, conversely Dedede DOES have that range.

Also, there's a high vertical blastzone, which while it does limit the usability of our best vertical finisher helps us out because it makes it even harder to ko Dedede. Not to mention, the side blastzones are very far out. Coupled with our weight and strong recovery, we'll be living for longer. Other characters also get this benefit, but as Dedede we can afford to go deep off stage unlike most other characters with lesser recoveries.

The main thing I'd be concerned about is being camped by characters that are significantly faster than Dedede. So it's basically an auto-ban against the likes of Sonic, Falcon, Fox, possibly Pikachu - but most of these characters beat Dedede pretty hard anyways, so I'm not sure why you'd want to be using him in those match ups versus a dedicated secondary character.

So IDK, I'm not too worried about needing to ban Dreamland. I think it has elements that benefit us more than other Battlefield-like stages.

As far as Miiverse, depending on how much it's like Battlefield I think we might have another Omega situation on our hands. It's possible that they might be considered the same stage for striking purposes. If that's true, we might not have to worry so much about it.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
If Dreamland is anything like it is in 64/Melee, it's not going to be as big of a deal as you probably think. The stage is bigger, so that you're probably less like to get stuck on the platforms. And while most characters won't have the range to catch you off a platform with a tilt/smash, conversely Dedede DOES have that range.

Also, there's a high vertical blastzone, which while it does limit the usability of our best vertical finisher helps us out because it makes it even harder to ko Dedede. Not to mention, the side blastzones are very far out. Coupled with our weight and strong recovery, we'll be living for longer. Other characters also get this benefit, but as Dedede we can afford to go deep off stage unlike most other characters with lesser recoveries.

The main thing I'd be concerned about is being camped by characters that are significantly faster than Dedede. So it's basically an auto-ban against the likes of Sonic, Falcon, Fox, possibly Pikachu - but most of these characters beat Dedede pretty hard anyways, so I'm not sure why you'd want to be using him in those match ups versus a dedicated secondary character.

So IDK, I'm not too worried about needing to ban Dreamland. I think it has elements that benefit us more than other Battlefield-like stages.

As far as Miiverse, depending on how much it's like Battlefield I think we might have another Omega situation on our hands. It's possible that they might be considered the same stage for striking purposes. If that's true, we might not have to worry so much about it.
Lol as I was typing I was telling myself 'dammit stop Dreamland is OK' but yeah I was mainly expressing my concerns regarding Miiverse.

I really do hope they treat it as the same stage, if it really does end up being the same essential thing.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
Well, if the changes to Dreamland people have been talking about end up being true, this stage might end up not being as good for Dedede as I thought it may be. The only way to tell for sure is to play on the stage once the patch goes live later today. For the record, those changes appear to be the following:

Smaller stage size, being close(r) in size to Battlefield
Blastzones have been reduced to compensate for the changes in Smash 4's engine

So right now it's looking like it's just slightly bigger Battlefield but with wind...which still makes it notably different enough from regular Battlefield (imo) versus what we know of Miiverse.

At least King Dedede himself still flies around in the background of the stage. :4dedede:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Any changes from the patch? I've tried him but didn't notice anything.

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
Doesn't look like there has been any changes. Why no Dedede love from Sakurai? Plenty of underrated characters are getting buffs, but... not the king... Is a faster jab so much to ask?

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Doesn't look like there has been any changes. Why no Dedede love from Sakurai? Plenty of underrated characters are getting buffs, but... not the king... Is a faster jab so much to ask?
Dedede is already perfect.

...though, if uptilt was a kill move again, I wouldnt object to that,

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Found out today that the second jab doesn't hit a floating Peach, despite looking like Dedede swings his hammer up. Kinda frustrating.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I think we should maybe reconsider which Gordo to use in a customs on environment.

I believe we had discussed this during the 3DS days and agreed that default Gordo is the stronger option. And, for the most part, I tend to agree. It's by far the most reliable option for setting ledge traps, platform traps, and it's generally just a good move for limiting your opponent's option.

However, I'd like to advocate for the usefulness of Bouncing Gordo as an alternative. There's a few things about it that I generally tend to like more than default. For one thing, it's by far the easiest version of the Gordo to lodge onto the side of the stage, which against certain characters I would argue is superior to the standard ledge traps that up tilted default Gordo gives. An up tilted bouncing Gordo, when flung off the stage, goes at an angle that'll catch high recoveries, either smacking opponents that are recovering high or forcing them lower where Dedede can more effectively deal with them.

Additionally, down tilted bouncing Gordo reliably makes a portion of the stage difficult to access for the opponent, and all 3 tilted versions are great for tacking on extra damage out of a grab. A down throw into a bouncing Gordo with the usual uair follow up tacks on around 30% on a fresh stock.

One last thing is that it's helped me get out of a rapid jab combo before. So it might have uses stopping combos mid string.

I think I may still prefer default Gordo simply because it's usable in more situations (tournaments, FG, etc.) that don't allow customs. But it still seems like a good option to consider, and I'm not sure Dedede players have really explored its options very much. Just some food for thought.

:4dedede:

Mr.Lee

Smash Cadet
So I recently played M2K with my D3 and it was really close. He won though. He told me that D3 was mid tier in his opinion. I had gotten 9th that tourney which makes me think that the patch made everybody suck or something :p Good things are coming D3 even though people say hes not good :p

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I think we should maybe reconsider which Gordo to use in a customs on environment.

I believe we had discussed this during the 3DS days and agreed that default Gordo is the stronger option. And, for the most part, I tend to agree. It's by far the most reliable option for setting ledge traps, platform traps, and it's generally just a good move for limiting your opponent's option.

However, I'd like to advocate for the usefulness of Bouncing Gordo as an alternative. There's a few things about it that I generally tend to like more than default. For one thing, it's by far the easiest version of the Gordo to lodge onto the side of the stage, which against certain characters I would argue is superior to the standard ledge traps that up tilted default Gordo gives. An up tilted bouncing Gordo, when flung off the stage, goes at an angle that'll catch high recoveries, either smacking opponents that are recovering high or forcing them lower where Dedede can more effectively deal with them.

Additionally, down tilted bouncing Gordo reliably makes a portion of the stage difficult to access for the opponent, and all 3 tilted versions are great for tacking on extra damage out of a grab. A down throw into a bouncing Gordo with the usual uair follow up tacks on around 30% on a fresh stock.

One last thing is that it's helped me get out of a rapid jab combo before. So it might have uses stopping combos mid string.

I think I may still prefer default Gordo simply because it's usable in more situations (tournaments, FG, etc.) that don't allow customs. But it still seems like a good option to consider, and I'm not sure Dedede players have really explored its options very much. Just some food for thought.

:4dedede:
I would explore it if the game would let me unlock it.
Seriously, I'm still having trouble with the RNG. :mad088:

But, to me, it seems like something that would be match-up specific if anything. One not necessarily being "better" than the other.
You know, coming from...

no testing whatsoever...

because game is a jerk to me...

:mad088:

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
Does someone know if it is top 2 of the 20 players that go on to brackets for the pools at CEO?

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I would explore it if the game would let me unlock it.
Seriously, I'm still having trouble with the RNG. :mad088:

But, to me, it seems like something that would be match-up specific if anything. One not necessarily being "better" than the other.
You know, coming from...

no testing whatsoever...

because game is a jerk to me...

:mad088:
Well, I already have all of the customs so I'm not sure what to say...just press forward! You'll get it soon enough!

maybe

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
He seems like he's still a bit unfamiliar with the character, or at least how to abuse some of Smash 4's mechanics to Dedede's advantage, but Hbox's strong fundamentals showed in those matches regardless. I definitely want to see more of his Dedede in the future, every time he landed one of those fsmashes my jaw dropped.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I won a tournament with Dedede against one of the best Ness players in the state tonight. Almost had a heart attack, but goddamn I love Dedede.

Thee Incubus

Smash Journeyman
So my first bracket match at CEO is vs Acestarthe3rd, Rosalina main. I need all the help I can get. I find the matchup harder than most say for whatever reason. Ftilts dont work as star bits out range it and we all know how the aerial game usually goes.

EDIT: J/K formatting on phone off I play JediOkami...and assuming I win and Jdawg wins, we will be playing each other :/

Last edited:

shrooby

BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
So my first bracket match at CEO is vs Acestarthe3rd, Rosalina main. I need all the help I can get. I find the matchup harder than most say for whatever reason. Ftilts dont work as star bits out range it and we all know how the aerial game usually goes.

EDIT: J/K formatting on phone off I play JediOkami...and assuming I win and Jdawg wins, we will be playing each other :/
I want that Dedede ditto streamed.
pls

Top Bottom