• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

motivation?

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
when i play sheik, in most cases i end up playing "gay" in tournament. so this makes the game no fun for me, because i am just try to win. this also gets me smashed out pretty quick. so after playing gay to win all these matches (i would of lost if i didn't play that way) i am just not enjoying anything. so this makes me fall to motivation. so i play a color of another sheik main i like. for an example tope. and now i guess i feel like im tope or something.. but it mentally helps me. does anyone else get that?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
This is gonna sound like I'm hating even though its not my intention to.... but....

I just don't play 'gay' lol. I play defense of course, but just what I have to. Unless you play like that during friendlies, just focus on improving how you would normally play. That makes it less stressful.

I actually could play sheik all day and red is my favorite sheik color by far.

Sion

Island of Horizon
that's an interesting topic, silentswag. the same sort of thing happens to me when i play different colours of falco. i feel like i'm a floridian falco when i play default, zhu when i'm blue, etc.

if you're not enjoying playing with sheik, teczer0 says it best: improve on the way you want to play.

i personally haven't seen your playstyle, so i can't really judge of how "gay" it is, but playing a defensive sheik isn't really gay. unless you camp the ledge and just throw needles, i really can't see it as gay. if you feel like you're not having fun with sheik, be it winning or playing for fun, there are many other characters in the cast to try.

my personal advice would be not to stress so much on winning. i consider melee to be a game and i don't play it to get stressed out about it.

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
i think i just get too competitive in freindlys and end up stressing about it if i lose.( i play very cocky people)

bolt.

Smash Ace
i think i just get too competitive in freindlys and end up stressing about it if i lose.( i play very cocky people)
This this this. I feel the same way.

I have almost stopped using my main in friendlies against some people because of their attitudes towards friendlies.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Dang, I know exactly what you guys mean. Sion, perhaps not stressing on winning may be a good idea for friendlies, but for tourneys, money's on the line. I just get bummed out cuz everyone rats on me for playing a "gay" character, so I play my other main, Samus, but then I have to deal w/ solely super bad MUs for me. Everyone here plays Falcon, Jiggs, Marth, Ganon, and there's one other Shiek here too. Those are all 7:3 MUs, a.k.a. Samus's worst MUs. So it's either have fun winning sometimes w/ Sheik and being hated for it, or having fun struggling w/ Samus. I don't really mind either, but it's kinda annoying that I can't have one purely positive experience.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
This this this. I feel the same way.

I have almost stopped using my main in friendlies against some people because of their attitudes towards friendlies.
LOLLLLLLLLLLl this post is so weak..................

I must say this is more about you're attitude towards friendlies than anyone elses. You care so much if you win them or something that you refuse to play your main against your best friends you haven't had serious fun powerful smash sessions with for agessssssssssssssssss. Sort of insulting. And a reason not to use your main? Please. Just play the game colin. It's quite fun to play the characters you actually play. You don't have to give a crap about winning. ****ing weak post........

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Dang, I know exactly what you guys mean. Sion, perhaps not stressing on winning may be a good idea for friendlies, but for tourneys, money's on the line. I just get bummed out cuz everyone rats on me for playing a "gay" character, so I play my other main, Samus, but then I have to deal w/ solely super bad MUs for me. Everyone here plays Falcon, Jiggs, Marth, Ganon, and there's one other Shiek here too. Those are all 7:3 MUs, a.k.a. Samus's worst MUs. So it's either have fun winning sometimes w/ Sheik and being hated for it, or having fun struggling w/ Samus. I don't really mind either, but it's kinda annoying that I can't have one purely positive experience.
None of that **** truly matters. Unless you truly want to play samus, just **** it and play sheik. This is a multiplayer game dude, not a one player I'mma ***** till I get you to play the character I want you to play.

Unless someone is asking me specifically to train against a specific character I really don't care.

Also its funny but thinking that "Money is on the line" for every tournament match is in a sense inhibiting. I mean yes, in the grand scheme of things its true but if you give money to a tournament because your sole reason is to win money then you're going to have a tough time dealing with the stress until you can have the top player mentality of, well I need to worry about just _______ and thats it. If you know you are not a top level player, think of it as a learning experience, because every match you go play someone will be playing their all just to beat you and move on.

bolt.

Smash Ace
LOLLLLLLLLLLl this post is so weak..................

I must say this is more about you're attitude towards friendlies than anyone elses. You care so much if you win them or something that you refuse to play your main against your best friends you haven't had serious fun powerful smash sessions with for agessssssssssssssssss. Sort of insulting. And a reason not to use your main? Please. Just play the game colin. It's quite fun to play the characters you actually play. You don't have to give a crap about winning. ****ing weak post........
It has a lot more to do with the way you think about friendlies. You are always judging skill levels. I don't even feel like I'm training when I play with you. It feels like I'm competing with you, and thats not even enjoyable. At least for me. With Cam I can sit down and play ages while learning, and its just fun... even when I lose.

The post I made wasn't even about you though. The reason why I haven't played with you is because of gas money problems, and when we do play its with a large group.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
I get this, but just change your definition of gay. It really doesn't matter. Gotta reframe what you think is cool vs what you think is gay. Also Green Sheik is super not gay btw.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
It has a lot more to do with the way you think about friendlies. You are always judging skill levels. I don't even feel like I'm training when I play with you. It feels like I'm competing with you, and thats not even enjoyable. At least for me. With Cam I can sit down and play ages while learning, and its just fun... even when I lose.

The post I made wasn't even about you though. The reason why I haven't played with you is because of gas money problems, and when we do play its with a large group.
The way I think about friendlies? I just play dude....I play Marth. And I play fox. And I just play. That's all I do. Never have I implied that any matches mean any more or less to me than others you just seem to assume that. I'm quite certain I've never "judged" anything. You just think too much. It's funny because I never ever get frustrated aggravated or annoyed you do sometimes so clearly your the one taking it a little too seriously.....I'm just playing and trying to improve all the time....If that upsets you then sulk more.... .........If this is what you think then your mindset is garbage. Just play with your boyfriend from now on then IDGAF

Edit: If there is a difference between how you feel playing different people and its not from anything the people have done/said it can only be due to your own mindset not others

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
The way I think about friendlies? I just play dude....I play Marth. And I play fox. And I just play. That's all I do. Never have I implied that any matches mean any more or less to me than others you just seem to assume that. I'm quite certain I've never "judged" anything. You just think too much. It's funny because I never ever get frustrated aggravated or annoyed you do sometimes so clearly your the one taking it a little too seriously.....I'm just playing and trying to improve all the time....If that upsets you then sulk more.... .........If this is what you think then your mindset is garbage. Just play with your boyfriend from now on then IDGAF

Edit: If there is a difference between how you feel playing different people and its not from anything the people have done/said it can only be due to your own mindset not others
I've definitely been in a situation like this. Don't overcomplicate things, especially if nothings been said. Just play, don't sandbag.

bolt.

Smash Ace

I made a large post in respose, but the boards ate it so... whatever. Anyway cam is my best friend, its not my fault you think I'm having "secret training sessions," with him when I'm just chilling at his house.

Edit- How can you even talk about mindset when you have a meltdown everytime someone wants to play teams or use a low tier? LOL

2nd edit- I consider you a really good friend, and I'm always happy to play smash with you. Sometimes we just have very different views on things. /discussion

Aber

Smash Journeyman
I made a large post in respose, but the boards ate it so... whatever. Anyway cam is my best friend, its not my fault you think I'm having "secret training sessions," with him when I'm just chilling at his house.

Edit- How can you even talk about mindset when you have a meltdown everytime someone wants to play teams or use a low tier? LOL

2nd edit- I consider you a really good friend, and I'm always happy to play smash with you. Sometimes we just have very different views on things. /discussion

Theres a difference between using a low tier or alt once in a while and using random *** characters two days straight with me and jeff whom you haven't played with forever especially when you told us you played a 100 stock vs cam with falco.......And I don't think I've ever had a meltdown lololol wut?

bolt.

Smash Ace
Theres a difference between using a low tier or alt once in a while and using random *** characters two days straight with me and jeff whom you haven't played with forever especially when you told us you played a 100 stock vs cam with falco.......And I don't think I've ever had a meltdown lololol wut?
Okay.

10char

jbro

Smash Ace
when i play sheik, in most cases i end up playing "gay" in tournament. so this makes the game no fun for me, because i am just try to win. this also gets me smashed out pretty quick. so after playing gay to win all these matches (i would of lost if i didn't play that way) i am just not enjoying anything. so this makes me fall to motivation. so i play a color of another sheik main i like. for an example tope. and now i guess i feel like im tope or something.. but it mentally helps me. does anyone else get that?
Bro, there's no such thing as playing "gay." You just can't let all the dudes we play with get into your head. There is nothing wrong with your playstyle. If you get bored with it, then try playing with different characters at smaller tournaments just for fun or to see what happens, then use your Sheik when you need to win. Part of the reason why it gets boring isn't even because of the playstyle, but because of playing the same matchups all the time.. I mean, there's no way around it, when you're in a crew, you're going to play those people a lot, both at local tournaments and in friendlies.

The ****'s always going to be more exciting when you play new people, even if you are playing defensively. I'm not even sure what the point of this post is. I guess it's just, "**** the haters, keep on winning, then drink their delicious tears when they're jealous as all hell."

Something like that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I had trouble with this for a while. Still do, really.

It takes a lot of effort and I routinely fail my own advice in this respect, but try your hardest learn to let go and focus on improving aspects of your game. Friendlies don't really mean all that much, even though it's really hard to see that sometimes.

(I suck at this, but I'm working on it LOL)

CopyCat

Smash Journeyman
To me friendlies and tournaments are just ways of testing out my skills against others, sometimes I play seriously other times i don't. I just do what I want to do and not what others want me to do.

(in short have fun :))

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Play how you want, not how others want you to play, and if winning a tournament is your goal, do everything you can to achieve it. That said, if you don't like your 100% tryhard playstyle, play differently in friendlies and try to work on improving aspects that helps your tournament style too.

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
Not Worried About Losing: This problem, I've begun to notice, is the biggest killer of mentalities that any fighting game player could have. It seems the most universal anyway. I could write a lot about this concept alone(considered doing a big post on it....maybe I will later) because balancing between concern over losing with being too disinterested to apply yourself(the other side of the spectrum I am aggravatingly on more now) is a very difficult one to maintain. I worked on it some today and it takes some tweaking but I'm pretty good at handling losing now and don't feel much pressure if I'm about to lose. Making sure I'm still motivated enough to win is the off and on thing I have to wrestle with. I think I just need to force myself to remember to play hard often, especially when I'm in danger of losing a match. That's all I have at the moment, but I can't imagine how keeping the need to play hard in mind often shouldn't at least motivate me somewhat.
this ^^^^^^^^^^

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Just think of all the *****es you'll get by doin well in Melee.

CK Momentum

Smash Apprentice
it just reminds me that actually crush has the best ideas about this game srsly. like we really tell people we play to win but only a very small number of us realistically could win the tournament. its really about spending time with a lot of people who are just interested in a game. also i think you guys might be interested in this video regarding motivation. I just thought about tec0's post about "money being on the line" and he has it exactly right. except when he locks crush's sweet threads lmfao.

What motivates people, really

crush

Smash Master
Yeah the only person that has defied crushes first law of motivation so far is dr peepee, and that's because my theories dont apply to hillbillys.

:phone:

TKD

Smash Lord
just playyyyyyyyyyyyyy...a lot. it's fine if you feel irritated or frustrated sometimes, but stop rationalizing your feelings. they're OK; you don't need to prevent triggering them. they push you further.

PB&J

Smash Hero
when i use to get stressed out in singles ,i always just play teams,teams is so much fun,so many aspects in teams that makes this game so much fun. Im really,really competitive, like pp said ,making yourself motivated to win is a hard battle at times. Just keep playing alot of people and i think you will be fine though

see you @ apex

AttackParty

Smash Rookie
SilentSWAG I know exactly what you mean here's how I think it works:

It's funny I thought I played pretty damn cheap whenever I played Brawl. My style is just aggressive in Brawl and I'll suck ****. However if I'm playing patient and play a slow relaxing game where I only hit my opponent when I know I can and I am being very dodgy, I'll pretty much three stock my Brawl friends who are good. It's like my sense of spacing from Melee beats out the Brawl players game sense. Probably because Melee is older and the games are faster so by playing Melee you are constantly experiencing and thinking about changing your location. A Brawl-only player probably is used to the pace of Brawl and doesn't have to think as fast. (Hence why they always say things like: "I just can't play Melee.")

Now here's how this relates to Melee:

Competitive Melee is beyond fun. There's playing for fun and playing to win. While playing Brawl I was trying to play fast, that's what I like. I also like winning. But I can't play Brawl fast, that's reality. So there's a conflict.

Now, on to playing "gay" everyone says Hungrybox plays "gay" and he's like the best in the world. So what does gay really mean in this sense? Gay means that your opponent is good, but with a twist. The twist is that, there's something that they do to win that you feel is morally wrong. Take a good look at your friends who don't play smash competitively ever notice now noobs will always say that when you grab the ledge to keep them from coming back they calling it "gay" or even cheating. Some people will say the same thing towards jumping off the stage and hitting your opponent before they can come back.

Here's the thing. If something finds something "gay" or morally wrong, it means there's some universal truth that they don't want to accept. For example accepting that it's possible to kill an opponent via edge hogging in a game where you mostly kill by attacking.

Anyway you said you play "Gay" when you use Sheik. Even though you don't like it, you probably have a good way of using Sheik, even if you're just being dodgy or trying to gimp people, the reality is that this game allows it so it's fair.

No Johns.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else feel cheap for using Sheik? I have friends who probably have equal tech skill to mine, but I win 90% of the time due to Sheik's "gayness"

EDIT: I'm not pro level, which may have something to do with it. It just feels like Sheik has ezmode combos

silentSWAG

Smash Lord
nothing is gay if u play by the rules of the game and not by the rules of honor

attack party knows whats up

i dont have this problem anymore by understanding the game and by ignoring the flashy honor that causes people to call sheik gay

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I find that Sheik's 'flashy' combos are conveniently also her most inescapable ones vs a whole plethora of important characters.

But yeah I'll tilt to slap for the KO if need be. Gotta get those kills as they come.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I find that Sheik's 'flashy' combos are conveniently also her most inescapable ones vs a whole plethora of important characters.

But yeah I'll tilt to slap for the KO if need be. Gotta get those kills as they come.
Fox has drill shine upsmash
Falcon has dthrow knee

Therefore I never feel bad about doing those :3c

D

Deleted member

you don't have a shine and can't chaingrab any viable characters other than sheik herself. what exactly are you doing that's gay?

Maybe

Smash Cadet
Fox has drill shine upsmash
Falcon has dthrow knee

Therefore I never feel bad about doing those :3c
Word. Why don't people ever say any of those are gay? Is it because ftilt -> slap is easy to execute?

IMO, dthrow knee is pretty simple unless you have some extremely good mindgame DI. Or Falco dair -> dair. Or dash attack -> fmash/dair. Those aren't considered 'gay'?

Top Bottom