• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
So, one of the official regional tournaments (the ones with the final being streamed by Nintendo) is really close to me. Should I use Rosalina?

Last edited:

Biff

Smash Rookie
Items will be on in the tournament so Gravitational Pull could be a huge advantage.
Though it's also gonna have 4 players at a time so it might be hard to not lose luma all the time

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
NVM, he said he just posted that that would be how to anger people to inspire trolls. I can still give a link if you want to prove him wrong. :p
Yes, I want to.
It doesn't really help if Rosalina's opponents target the Luma every time. By containing the Luma, the opponents pretty much limit Rosalina's combat options.
Yes, Luma is really helpful when you get jabbed or caught.
So, one of the official regional tournaments (the ones with the final being streamed by Nintendo) is really close to me. Should I use Rosalina?
"Sigh" I live in Taiwan, so I can't attend the tournament, guess I'll watch the live stream then.
I really hope one of the final contestants use Rosalina and Mario, my two favorite and mains.

Hey check out this cool fan made Smash Sis Wii U boxart by the bourgy man!

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Yes, I want to.

"Sigh" I live in Taiwan, so I can't attend the tournament, guess I'll watch the live stream then.
I really hope one of the final contestants use Rosalina and Mario, my two favorite and mains.

I'd look either gay or perverted buying that. :p

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'd doubt you'd look gay or perverted. :p srsly.

Plus, I'd buy that in an instant, no matter what anyone thinks.
The cover looks awesome right?He even included Jigglypuff, and it's a little bit sad that Rosalina only fits a small space of the covers.
Who knows if Sakurai will really make Smash Sisters?
Here's some beautiful artwork from Miiverse showing Rosalina's storybooks.
Hey the picture from the front book is actually the concept artwork of Rosalina and her youngself!

Last edited:

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
You know, Lumas don't really have a biological sex (male or female) since they're just unborn stars, but because they can transform into other beings, they have the power to give themselves what they want (male, female, etc). What I wonder is if they know about the differences about male and female... If one of them were to come up to Rosalina and say "I wanna transform into a human just like you!", what would Rosalina say to them? After all, they gotta learn about the intricacies about being a human and how life works. I'm sure Rosalina would teach them about everything there is to being a human, including touchy subjects like the birds and the bees, life and death, etc.

By the way, the kind of Luma I'm talking about is one that hasn't fully matured, but rather one that's learning to be mature.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've always taken it that Lumas are limited in what they can transform into, but really, Lumas and what they can transform into is one of the two, but big plotholes in Galaxy.

Regarding the birds and the bees, I think Rosalina herself doesn't have a clue how that works since she grew up solely with Lumas and before she met the Lumas, didn't know about that stuff. Like I outlined a while ago though, I believe she is demi-heterosexual, but also doesn't realise/comprehend sexual thoughts as such and doesn't know what to make of them. She kinda just keeps to herself about it.

I'm sure the concept of life and death is something Polari taught her about though, since it applies to Lumas and they can understand it. He probably thought it was important for her to know, since it would help her come to terms with the loss of her family, since she clearly didn't understand it fully before and didn't know how to cope, having deluded herself like she did. I don't imagine the Lumas would have any trouble understanding this concept, no more than Rosalina would have struggled coming to terms with it.

I really would love to write up tons of Rosalina headcanons and sorting out various facts about her, but I will likely never have the time too.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
You know, Lumas don't really have a biological sex (male or female) since they're just unborn stars, but because they can transform into other beings, they have the power to give themselves what they want (male, female, etc). What I wonder is if they know about the differences about male and female... If one of them were to come up to Rosalina and say "I wanna transform into a human just like you!", what would Rosalina say to them? After all, they gotta learn about the intricacies about being a human and how life works. I'm sure Rosalina would teach them about everything there is to being a human, including touchy subjects like the birds and the bees, life and death, etc.

By the way, the kind of Luma I'm talking about is one that hasn't fully matured, but rather one that's learning to be mature.
That is a good thought, I really wonder what will Luma-Humans be like.
I've always taken it that Lumas are limited in what they can transform into, but really, Lumas and what they can transform into is one of the two, but big plotholes in Galaxy.

Regarding the birds and the bees, I think Rosalina herself doesn't have a clue how that works since she grew up solely with Lumas and before she met the Lumas, didn't know about that stuff. Like I outlined a while ago though, I believe she is dem-heterosexual, but also doesn't realise/comprehend sexual thoughts as such and doesn't know what to make of them. She kinda just keeps to herself about it.

I'm sure the concept of life and death is something Polari taught her about though, since it applies to Lumas and they can understand it. He probably thought it was important for her to know, since it would help her come to terms with the loss of her family, since she clearly didn't understand it fully before and didn't know how to cope, having deluded herself like she did. I don't imagine the Lumas would have any trouble understanding this concept, no more than Rosalina would have struggled coming to terms with it.

I really would love to write up tons of Rosalina headcanons and sorting out various facts about her, but I will likely never have the time too.
It was Polari that guide Rosalina through the cosmos, although how they met is unknown just like with Lubba, and Polari dosen't seem to appear much these days, I am sure we will know soon.
Rosalina is a wise woman, I'm sure she can deal with this situation.
And what is dem-heterosexual mean?

Last edited:

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
Yes, I want to.

...What would Ribbon even do?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It's quite possible that the color of the Luma will determine what it will change into when it fully matures. Yellow Lumas would become Power Stars; Red Lumas would become Red Stars; Green Lumas would become Green Stars. It's already known that Hungry Lumas can become new planets or galaxies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The only problem is that we've also seen Yellow Lumas change into Spring Stars and Launch Stars, so it's not just limited to one thing. They just never explain the limitations, if there are any.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only problem is that we've also seen Yellow Lumas change into Spring Stars and Launch Stars, so it's not just limited to one thing. They just never explain the limitations, if there are any.
I guess in a way, Yellow Lumas are more versatile with what they can change into.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
...What would Ribbon even do?
Who's Ribbon?
I don't know, forget about how do some of them fight, this cover looks awesome! Hope Sakurai can make a Female-only Smash bros (sis) one day, although not possible LOL!
Does color really indicates what things Lumas change? This is already a common sense of Mario series right? Of course there will always be be some exceptions.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Who's Ribbon?
I don't know, forget about how do some of them fight, this cover looks awesome! Hope Sakurai can make a Female-only Smash bros (sis) one day, although not possible LOL!.
Ribbon is the fairy companion of Kirby in Kirby the Crystal Shards. (it's the tiny fairy with pink hair and a red ribbon and dress.)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I figured the colour-coded Luma transformations were just a gameplay thing and didn't mean anything in terms of the lore, because technically any Luma can be a Hungry Luma if they are, well, hungry for Star Bits.

Also, the Green Lumas also change into Green Launch Stars. So maybe Lumas can change to and from being different kinds of stars before being fully grown, and can revert back to their original form. And maybe they can't revert back once they are fully grown.

But Polari contradicts this theory right off the bat.

IDK I think Lumas can just transform into anything inherently cosmic whenever they want or something.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I figured the colour-coded Luma transformations were just a gameplay thing and didn't mean anything in terms of the lore, because technically any Luma can be a Hungry Luma if they are, well, hungry for Star Bits.

Also, the Green Lumas also change into Green Launch Stars. So maybe Lumas can change to and from being different kinds of stars before being fully grown, and can revert back to their original form. And maybe they can't revert back once they are fully grown.

But Polari contradicts this theory right off the bat.

IDK I think Lumas can just transform into anything inherently cosmic whenever they want or something.
Sooo many things contradicts in the Mario universe, like why Baby Rosalina has the same hair color of Rosalina herself(Since the storybook tells us Rosalina was slightly red blonde) for example.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Sooo many things contradicts in the Mario universe, like why Baby Rosalina has the same hair color of Rosalina herself(Since the storybook tells us Rosalina was slightly red blonde) for example.
It's because it's a series for children so they don't give a crap about accuracy with the lore I guess? I don't know it does kind of bug me that mario games kind of ignore each other most of the time....I'd like the stories to link together a bit better. Mario galaxy is probably the best story wise of the main series, which is sadly saying a lot.

I am still one to side with the side games such as paper mario and mario and luigi, but they actually link together within their series (for the most part...) and the stories make sense (that and super paper mario is surprisingly dark and adult and I love it).

Though in recent years only the mario and luigi series is relevant as far as those two go sadly...sticker star tooka note from the main series's book: Ignore the lore.

Mario and Luigi is still a solid series (with fantastic music), however.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
One does need to remember though that spin-off titles aren't canon to the Super Mario series.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It isn't because Mario is a game intended to be family friendly, it's because Miyamoto seems to hate having a coherent or even just a meaningful plot or lore in games these days, and if he is directly involved in the development of a game through being it's producer or director, especially a Mario game, it's not gonna have story elements, with Galaxy 1 being the exception (an unwilling one, at that). He even opposed the creation of Rosalina (he admitted this in the Iwata Asks for 3D World, and his reasoning was that he thought the series didn't need any other main female characters besides Peach), and refused to let Galaxy 2 have much story, which is why Rosalina takes more of a secondary role in that game (Galaxy 1 is basically Yoshiaki Koizumi's vision of Galaxy, Galaxy 2's is Miyamoto's).

Last edited:

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
It isn't because Mario is a game intended to be family friendly, it's because Miyamoto seems to hate having a coherent or even just a meaningful plot or lore in games these days, and if he is directly involved in the development of a game through being it's producer or director, especially a Mario game, it's not gonna have story elements, with Galaxy 1 being the exception (an unwilling one, at that). He even opposed the creation of Rosalina (he admitted this in the Iwata Asks for 3D World, and his reasoning was that he thought the series didn't need any other main female characters besides Peach), and refused to let Galaxy 2 have much story, which is why Rosalina takes more of a secondary role in that game (Galaxy 1 is basically Yoshiaki Koizumi's vision of Galaxy, Galaxy 2's is Miyamoto's).
Miyamoto is a great game director.....but plot breaths life into a game. Even minor plots...like Galaxy isn't very plot heavy as far as games go, but as far as main series mario games go it is rather extraordinary plot wise. I love when game designers create lore for characters and the game's universe though.

And come on dude, Women need more representation in games anyway. it is 2014. 1 more female isn't going to kill you, dear.

On a side note I'd like to see daisy in main series games/ side series games that aren't sports/mini game collections.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Miyamoto is a great game director.....but plot breaths life into a game.

And come on dude, Women need more representation in games anyway. it is 2014. 1 more female isn't going to kill you, dear.
Mario games focus way more on gameplay than on an actual story though, so it's probably understandable why Miyamoto was reluctant to have a story in Super Mario Galaxy.

Gerpington

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1719-4002-0052
Mario games focus way more on gameplay than on an actual story though, so it's probably understandable why Miyamoto was reluctant to have a story in Super Mario Galaxy.
Yeah I understand that...but it went over well....but I suppose I can understand his reluctance. He seems to be in a mentality of "If it works why change it?"

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My problem with Miyamoto's mentality is that story elements, especially how they were implemented in Galaxy, don't harm the gameplay. At all. And in Galaxy's case, it's not like HE had to go out of his way to spend extra effort to make a story. One of the most talented and passionate members of his dev team did it, and Miyamoto was ready to shut his ideas down. Which is honestly disgusting that Miyamoto would even do that, since what Yoshiaki Koizumi brought to the table with Rosalina and the Lumas (who also originally didn't exist - initially, the denizens of space were just going to be "Cosmic Toads") was NEVER going to harm the gameplay, it only made the game more memorable (if it weren't for Rosalina and the Lumas, Galaxy 1 would be a solid game, but it would be far less memorable - it'd basically be 3D Land, because like that game, Galaxy 1 was actually pretty flawed in some ways).

This, and many other of Miyamoto's decisions, make me think that he's kind of become senile. He's old, and very traditional in how he does things. While he has made some great decisions of late (it's thanks to him that Hyrule Warriors turned out to be the awesome, refreshing game it is - it was initially going to primarily play more like a Zelda game), a lot of what he does rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
sonicbrawler18st: 17664893 said:
My problem with Miyamoto's mentality is that story elements, especially how they were implemented in Galaxy, don't harm the gameplay. At all. And in Galaxy's case, it's not like HE had to go out of his way to spend extra effort to make a story. One of the most talented and passionate members of his dev team did it, and Miyamoto was ready to shut his ideas down. Which is honestly disgusting that Miyamoto would even do that, since what Yoshiaki Koizumi brought to the table with Rosalina and the Lumas (who also originally didn't exist - initially, the denizens of space were just going to be "Cosmic Toads") was NEVER going to harm the gameplay, it only made the game more memorable (if it weren't for Rosalina and the Lumas, Galaxy 1 would be a solid game, but it would be far less memorable - it'd basically be 3D Land, because like that game, Galaxy 1 was actually pretty flawed in some ways).

This, and many other of Miyamoto's decisions, make me think that he's kind of become senile. He's old, and very traditional in how he does things. While he has made some great decisions of late (it's thanks to him that Hyrule Warriors turned out to be the awesome, refreshing game it is - it was initially going to primarily play more like a Zelda game), a lot of what he does rubs me the wrong way.
Though at the cost of becoming more human and less mysterious; at least Rosalina's a major player in the Mario series.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Rosalina isn't anymore human or any less mysterious today than she was when she debuted. I still view her as a beautiful, yet tragic character. And I still think of her backstory and what not when I play as her.

She's been in more games and has had a few little developments in terms of the Mario Kart bios in that she has a competitive side and stuff like that, and has showed off a few new powers in some games, especially Smash. However, the former is harmless and doesn't contradict anything that was established in Galaxy (mostly monotone and having a tragic past =/= always monotone and not being able to have fun - she even blatantly smiles and laughs a few times in the Galaxy games), and the latter outright adds to her mystery, as it makes me wonder, more than ever, how far her powers go.

Plus, we still don't know many of the details about her (how her family died, how they were in life, how Rosalina got the boundless power she has, etc).

EDIT: MOST ADORABLE THING:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Rosalina isn't anymore human or any less mysterious today than she was when she debuted. I still view her as a beautiful, yet tragic character. And I still think of her backstory and what not when I play as her.

She's been in more games and has had a few little developments in terms of the Mario Kart bios in that she has a competitive side and stuff like that, and has showed off a few new powers in some games, especially Smash. However, the former is harmless and doesn't contradict anything that was established in Galaxy (mostly monotone and having a tragic past =/= always monotone and not being able to have fun - she even blatantly smiles and laughs a few times in the Galaxy games), and the latter outright adds to her mystery, as it makes me wonder, more than ever, how far her powers go.

Plus, we still don't know many of the details about her (how her family died, how they were in life, how Rosalina got the boundless power she has, etc).

The only way we'd ever find out about that sort of stuff is if Nintendo makes it a game.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It's because it's a series for children so they don't give a crap about accuracy with the lore I guess? I don't know it does kind of bug me that mario games kind of ignore each other most of the time....I'd like the stories to link together a bit better. Mario galaxy is probably the best story wise of the main series, which is sadly saying a lot.

I am still one to side with the side games such as paper mario and mario and luigi, but they actually link together within their series (for the most part...) and the stories make sense (that and super paper mario is surprisingly dark and adult and I love it).

Though in recent years only the mario and luigi series is relevant as far as those two go sadly...sticker star tooka note from the main series's book: Ignore the lore.

Mario and Luigi is still a solid series (with fantastic music), however.
Everyone has their favorite video game genre, I think Super Mario Series and Mario RPG related series are all great.
One does need to remember though that spin-off titles aren't canon to the Super Mario series.
I know that LOL.

Although we all knew that Rosalina is new major Mario character, even not knowing much of her yet. I think it is best to stay like this way for a moment. Knowing too much about her might decline our fav of her.
Both Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are good, but I still think Galaxy 1 is the most memorable one, while Galaxy 2 has the best music. I don't think Miyamoto is against Nintendo spoiling Rosalina, he just hope that Nintendo can be more innovative but also conservative. Yoshiaki on the other hand brings the Super Mario series a whole new twist, if Rosalina nor Luma were not in this game, Galaxy would really just be a normal 3D Mario game, and this discussion thread wouldn't even exist.
And has anyone blast all the red targets in one blast in Target Blast by using Rosalina?(I did, it was tough) Got 620300 points, GSP 595199.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yes, I want to.

...Hey! Where's Ms. Pac-Man?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom