• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Mother of the Cosmos: Rosalina [General/Social] Thread (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
N-air and F-Tilt are fine too. And of course, Lunar Landing is a thing.
This is true. Her aerials are more potent due to Lunar Landing. I'm still trying to get the timing down consistently. I sure hope this doesn't get patched somehow.
Also Luma Shot isn't too bad since the last patch, and I don't even need to explain Luma Warp.
Luma Shot's okay, but assuming custom moves become a widespread thing, I believe Luma Warp will help her reach high/top tier status.
If it means anything, it's better than most of Sonic's attacks, from my experience.
Other than Classic and All-Star Mode to unlock his trophies, as well as challenges specific to him, I never play Sonic, so I wouldn't know.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While Sonic is a lot better in this game (I don't consider him too far behind Rosalina, he's easily top 10 himself), his aerials still have a lot of landing lag if you use them too close to the ground, and his Smash attacks are SUPER punishable, though they are quite strong and useful. In general though, I prefer gimping/aerial chases when getting kills with Sonic, or playing mind games to get a Smash in, since he excels at those things.

His U-Tilt is definitely punishable too, though F-Tilt not so much because of it's range.

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
This is true. Her aerials are more potent due to Lunar Landing. I'm still trying to get the timing down consistently. I sure hope this doesn't get patched somehow.
What I usually do to help with the timing is doing a short hop Gravitational Pull. Then I just match the height by doing a short hop aerial.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The timing for Lunar Landing F-air is really generous, so use that to practice first.

N-air is the one you really want to learn, but Delayed Lunar Landing is also easy to do there.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The problem with Rosalina's n-air is that the hitbox is only on her feet, so you're not dealing any kind of damage with her body; that's not very convenient when compared to all the other n-airs in the game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The problem with Rosalina's n-air is that the hitbox is only on her feet, so you're not dealing any kind of damage with her body; that's not very convenient when compared to all the other n-airs in the game.
I don't see how that's a problem. You should be aiming for appropriate spacing with your attacks anyway, and the move merely encourages that. Plus, Luma covers your blindside.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't see how that's a problem. You should be aiming for appropriate spacing with your attacks anyway, and the move merely encourages that. Plus, Luma covers your blindside.
While true enough, the range of Luma's Nair isn't all that great, and the length of the Nair's hitbox does not last as long as Rosalina's animation. While not situational or anything, it can't be spammed as much as say, Shiek's, Mario's, Link, or even R.O.B.'s.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Well, tommorow it's time for me to go back to school.
However, my two brothers got a black New 3DS already with the money they get during Chinese New Year, I'm hoping to buy New 3DS XL red version. But it cost $NT8000(About 210 US$).... and I only have NT$8000....I need a new SD card too.
IMG_20150223_122513.jpg

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, tommorow it's time for me to go back to school.
However, my two brothers got a black New 3DS already with the money they get during Chinese New Year, I'm hoping to buy New 3DS XL red version. But it cost $NT8000(About 210 US$).... and I only have NT$8000....I need a new SD card too.
View attachment 40105
I got myself a red New 3DS XL for $200 plus shipping and tax. I plan to buy a few 3DS games that used the Circle Pad Pro feature, like Resident Evil: Revelations though I'm not sure how long it'll be since I'm still finishing up Majora's Mask and I haven't even started on Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire yet. Damn, I got a lot of catching up to do.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I got myself a red New 3DS XL for $200 plus shipping and tax. I plan to buy a few 3DS games that used the Circle Pad Pro feature, like Resident Evil: Revelations though I'm not sure how long it'll be since I'm still finishing up Majora's Mask and I haven't even started on Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire yet. Damn, I got a lot of catching up to do.
I had already finish Pokemon ORAS, I got Omega Ruby. I had also helped my brother doing system transfer, we all did the PC method, turns out it wasn't that hard. We had finished both of the two system's transfer within an hour!( If one of my brother didn't forgot his Nintendo ID password it would be faster.)
I'm still trying to convince my sister to help me order, but so far she is still lazy to do it...

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
While true enough, the range of Luma's Nair isn't all that great, and the length of the Nair's hitbox does not last as long as Rosalina's animation. While not situational or anything, it can't be spammed as much as say, Shiek's, Mario's, Link, or even R.O.B.'s.
I find the range fine, considering how much Luma swerves around, and how fast he does it. I definitely find it more useful than R.O.B's, and Sheik's too.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I find the range fine, considering how much Luma swerves around, and how fast he does it. I definitely find it more useful than R.O.B's, and Sheik's too.
Her neutral air range is good, but hard to use when trying to hit characters on the ground... I can't remember how Luma's neutral air look like.

Last edited:

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I got 7th out of 100 entrants, losing to Mr.R in winners and losing a clutch game 3 last stock against the 3rd placed player of the tournament, Gregs. The tournament was filled up with Sheiks, Luigis and Yoshi's

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Her neutral air range is good, but hard to use when trying to hit characters on the ground... I can't remember how Luma's neutral air look like.
It's not difficult if you understand the movement of her legs during the animation. Learn that and you'll definitely hit your mark more often than not.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
It's not difficult if you understand the movement of her legs during the animation. Learn that and you'll definitely hit your mark more often than not.
I know she loops her body around clockwise when facing left, and counter clockwise when facing right. I might need to use her neutral air a lot earily compare to other characters.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I know she sweeps her legs around clockwise when facing left, and counter clockwise when facing right. I might need to use her neutral air a lot earily compare to other characters.
Actually, it's the other way around. She starts sweeping around from the back first.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
I found the love in Luma Warp. So much control over Luma is amazing. It's a good tool to get back to the ledge by intimating your opponent near the ledge. You can edge guard more easily too. I hope most Rosalina mains use Luma Warp at some point in their battles.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I found the love in Luma Warp. So much control over Luma is amazing. It's a good tool to get back to the ledge by intimating your opponent near the ledge. You can edge guard more easily too. I hope most Rosalina mains use Luma Warp at some point in their battles.
I've been more into the Power Luma Shot these days. I'll give Luma Warp a try eventually.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Luma Warp I'd say is her best custom. The amount of potential for setups, and easier time you have when edge guarding and sandwiching it has kinda makes me forget how to use Luma Shot sometimes. =P
Need to try out Gaurdian Luma later on.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm much more accustomed to Luma Shot and seem to do better with that, plus I like certain things about it that Luma Warp doesn't have. But I have been trying to get more into customs lately.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
THE TRUTH BEHIND ROSALINA'S STORYBOOK:

Okay, that just doesn't make any sense. Why would Rosalina throw the book at Mario, simply because he misinterpreted Major Burrows as her mother?

The things that people will make...

Ever since Smash 3DS got the 1.0.4 update, Luma Shot has become less reliable for my tastes. At least Luma Warp gives you better control over the Luma's placement, and can potentially mess up the opponent's recovery as well.

Besides, you can't really use Luma Shot for offense all that much if the opponent can just shield the hit, or even reflect it right back at her.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
Ever since Smash 3DS got the 1.0.4 update, Luma Shot has become less reliable for my tastes. At least Luma Warp gives you better control over the Luma's placement, and can potentially mess up the opponent's recovery as well.

Besides, you can't really use Luma Shot for offense all that much if the opponent can just shield the hit, or even reflect it right back at her.
I'm pretty sure Luma Warp is probably the best way to go. I'm also sure that you can jab-reset with Luma Warp too which is pretty nifty.

One thing that's not talked about too much is her up and down special. People mainly want to leave those alone since they're satisfied with the regular move, but there's potential in her other custom moves.

I personally like to use Catch & Release as a gimping and edge guarding tool. The windbox can throw an opponent's trajectory off when they're recovering and it can pull them above the stage instead of grabbing the ledge, which leads into hitting them. You can also stage spike them under the ledge with this since the windbox can usually pull them between the stage's edges and the hitbox of the move (at least in my case). Even if it doesn't spike or whiffs, it can setup a situation where you can still spike them with an aerial. This stuff applies to under-the-ledge play and it's kinda difficult to do.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. Each custom special is a case of "gain some and lose some". One of the very things you lose with Luma Warp is precision placement of Luma. It's completely static, and while you can pull little tricks for more wiggle room (jab-jab-Luma Warp extends the reach a little bit), control of Luma's placement isn't what you gain from it. The patch actually improved Luma Shot, making the variance in Luma's placement a lot better.

One thing that's not talked about too much is her up and down special. People mainly want to leave those alone since they're satisfied with the regular move, but there's potential in her other custom moves..
In the case of Down Special, it depends on the MU.

For example, in the Peach MU, Guardian Luma (GL) should ALWAYS be taken over Gravitational Pull (GP). Guardian Luma retains the ability to draw in anything classed as an item. It only sacrifices the ability to absorb non-item projectiles. The only projectile Peach has is considered an item. In this MU, GP would give you just the ability to steal Peach's turnips if you use it. GL gives you that, AND the ability to make Luma a giant shield against her other attacks, like the Peach Bomber, as well as being able to more efficiently protect Luma himself. Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to take GP over GL in this MU.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm excited for the potential use of Luma Warp.

Guardian Luma might have use as well not just as a thing you switch to when the opponent doesn't have a projectile.

Also, I actually went ahead and looked at the Complete coverage thread by @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy

Holy cow thats a lot of info on her. 0_o

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm pretty sure you have that backwards. Each custom special is a case of "gain some and lose some". One of the very things you lose with Luma Warp is precision placement of Luma. It's completely static, and while you can pull little tricks for more wiggle room (jab-jab-Luma Warp extends the reach a little bit), control of Luma's placement isn't what you gain from it. The patch actually improved Luma Shot, making the variance in Luma's placement a lot better.
Luma Shot no longer has a hitbox when the Luma stops traveling though. But I guess I just find the changes to the move to be inconvenient when in Smash 3DS, you're so used to seeing an uncharged Luma Shot originally travel as far as Luma Warp.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
Luma warp goes the old 3ds distance and not the new luma shot distance? That's silly. If customs become a thing I'll prolly only care about the shooting star tbh. Possibly guardian luma. I'm personally hoping they don't though, some other characters can do some pretty stupid stuff with them but not gonna start a customs debate.

How's everybody been. Been kind of cheating on Rosalina lately, played mostly pikachu and diddy at my last tournament. :lol:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Luma Shot no longer has a hitbox when the Luma stops traveling though. But I guess I just find the changes to the move to be inconvenient when in Smash 3DS, you're so used to seeing an uncharged Luma Shot originally travel as far as Luma Warp.
The reason Luma no longer has a hit box when he stops travelling is because he can now attack a lot sooner. The last moment where he is sliding along and turning upright is now the point when you can start inputting commands again, rather than when he finishes that animation. This, again, increases the control over the move (this also resulted in Luma Shot becoming less punishable than before), including Luma's distance, since attacking as soon as possible results in him stopping early, while letting him go the whole way before attacking means he goes that little bit further.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not really. You can do it just as well in the air.
True, you can charge up Luma Shot while airborne, but it's more difficult to get the Luma right where you want it if you're falling. Luma Warp lacks power, but at least it's more convenient for aerial placements. But hey, to each his own in this case.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
True, you can charge up Luma Shot while airborne, but it's more difficult to get the Luma right where you want it if you're falling. Luma Warp lacks power, but at least it's more convenient for aerial placements. But hey, to each his own in this case.
Luma Shot travels in a straight line though. It is no less convenient for aerial placement than Luma Warp.

Besides, there is much more to Luma placement than Luma Shot and Luma Warp anyway - they are only the basics of it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not even debating which one is better, just making sure people are clear on how they actually work.

Shirma Akayaku

Smash Lord
NNID
Toadette75
Switch FC
SW-3818-9526-0298
So here's Rosalina in the Mario Party 10 commercial for Japan. They are really using Rosalina a lot more in these commercials.
By the way, Rosalina's earrings actually move and they're not frozen in place.
Also, it turns out the father is a furry. :p I'm obviously joking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom