• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Technical Character

OverLade

Smash Hero
look at everything meta can do

Halberding
Infinite Dimensonial Cape
Dimensional Edgehog Standard
Dimensional Edgehog Sliding
Dimensional Edgehog Stalling
Shuttle Loop Cancel(Where you go under the stage and grab the ledge WITHOUT going over the ledge)
Triple Shuttle Loop(On BF you do Shuttle Loop 3 times in a row without a break inbetween)
Double Shuttle Loop( Same thing as Triple Shuttle Loop but doing 2 instead of 3)
there are others but those people know
Those still aren't as technical, because they aren't necessary. Many pro metaknights will probably never do any of those things in a tourney match.

Characters like Falco, and Yoshi RELY on the advances in the Metagame. Falco with no chaingrabs, cancelled lasers, and cancelled illusions isn't as good.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Characters like Falco, and Yoshi RELY on the advances in the Metagame. Falco with no chaingrabs, cancelled lasers, and cancelled illusions isn't as good.
Ummm... Falco's chaingrabs, SHBs and cancelled illusions aren't hard to do... at all. That's like saying "They have techniques". Yeah, and? So the most technical character is the one who has the most number of techniques that they use frequently?

mitchlol7

Smash Cadet
Ummm... Falco's chaingrabs, SHBs and cancelled illusions aren't hard to do... at all. That's like saying "They have techniques". Yeah, and? So the most technical character is the one who has the most number of techniques that they use frequently?
Yuna has spoken

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
It raises the question:

Are we talking about a character with a large amount practical techs they could use?
Or a character with practical techniques that require a higher level of dexterity to perform?

The question posed by the OP is entirely subjective and is a blend of both of these two.
I think it's important to establish what 'technical' means.

Ice Climbers are a technical character because of desyncing, their chainthrows, and the degree of difficulty associated with using these techniques and the fact that these relatively difficult applications of their 'techniques' are required to play them at a high level, not because they have AT's coming out of the wazoo.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Mk technical?
Why would you even count Double shuttle loop >.> Triple says everything.

Yoshi has moves that require more technical skill (than MK), but I don't think hes the most technical character in the game.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i still think meta is up there
Metaknight is not technical...most Metaknight mainers don't even know what most of those techniques you listed before are. Except for that cape thing.

PKPower

Smash Cadet
As far as I know Lucas has the most ATs, and they are actually useful for the most part and non gimmicky. If you want to play Lucas on a high level of play you MUST learn how to at the VERY VERY LEAST Magnet pull. Zap jumping for recovery and attacking is a least too. If you zap jump any of Lucas's aerials he will get the exact height that he normally would at the same angle. Lucas also relies on wave bouncing and things like that for PK Fire, his PK fire can be used as an approach or as a defensive retreat.

So I vote for Lucas.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
As far as I know Lucas has the most ATs, and they are actually useful for the most part and non gimmicky. If you want to play Lucas on a high level of play you MUST learn how to at the VERY VERY LEAST Magnet pull. Zap jumping for recovery and attacking is a least too. If you zap jump any of Lucas's aerials he will get the exact height that he normally would at the same angle. Lucas also relies on wave bouncing and things like that for PK Fire, his PK fire can be used as an approach or as a defensive retreat.

So I vote for Lucas.
That isnt as much as Ics

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Lol? brawl technical?
No character is really technical but here is what i think the most technical techniques are

Dripping : Diddy Kong
Perfect SH(D)L : Falco
dragionic rush ; Yoshi
Arrow Looping , various WoI techniques (although i dont see the use for many of them) : pit
0-Death ChainGrab , Desyching : Ice Climbers

All of these techniques dont really take long to learn and these techniques dont really make you awesome with the character and arent always practical

OverLade

Smash Hero
Well that's what I interpreted as technical. And you're forgetting things like DAC, reverse chaingrabs, wall kick bairs, and wall kick reverse lasers.
But if you mean "requiring finger dexterity" or w/e I'd go with IC or something.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I think yoshi may be the most technical character....If you utilize his wavedash.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'd prefer to define it as the amount of technical depth to the character. Since any and all of the character's abilities should be a part of the arsenal of a high-level player. The more intense mastery of control input that's required to be able to use a character's full arsenal of abilities, at will, that's what makes a character technical. I'm not sure it should matter how much they rely on the different parts of the arsenal, since that's more of a question of how you choose to use them.

I'd worry you're using the word "technique" where something like "finesse" or "style" would also apply. Not sure, just sayin' ;)
Hey, that makes a lot of sense. I can agree to that. Intense mastery of control input that's required to use the character effectively IMO is a great way to put it. However, I do feel that what is intense mastery of control input is not directly related to difficulty at all. I do feel the characters I mentioned earlier do follow this definition more than the characters I did not mention though.

And Hey, it's nice to debate with someone who listens and offers something constructive. You make good points and actually listen to what I'm saying.

Jew3

Smash Rookie
Olimar in my opinion. Realizing what colors you have coming up and then acting according to is quite difficult.

bigman40

Smash Master
To let some people know, Yoshi is only partially technical due to 2 moves. Dragonic Reverse/Dragonic Trot, and the egg lay to footstool (known as ELFS that for now only works on wolf). Other than that, Yoshi isn't very technical as a whole.

D

Deleted member

link is the most technical character in this game because his list of AT's surpasses every other character

you have to constantly use all of his AT's at the correct times and you have to have perfect spacing/DI/ recovery to be good with link

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
To let some people know, Yoshi is only partially technical due to 2 moves. Dragonic Reverse/Dragonic Trot, and the egg lay to footstool (known as ELFS that for now only works on wolf). Other than that, Yoshi isn't very technical as a whole.
And yet, for Yoshi to be played at his maximum potential, these dexterously demanding techniques need to be learned in order to maximize Yoshi's 'feasible' pool of options.

We still haven't reached a general consensus as to what constitutes a technical character.

Look back to Melee where the most technical character was Fox. There are few that would dispute that. What made Fox technical? The speed at which you had to execute his moves, that's what. It's easy to read and know how to do some of Fox's crazier shine tricks in theory, but Infinite inverse drill shining isn't all that easy.

What's more, is that all of these speed demanding techniques are also (for the most part) feasible additions to a player's repertoire.

I've read in the Yoshi boards that the Draconic Reverse/Draconic Trot/wavedash or the ELFS aren't the most utilised of Yoshi's techniques, and this is purely because there are few Yoshi mains who can effectively utilise them (Due to a lack of player skill in these areas), because of how technically demanding these techniques are.

All the despite the potential of theoretical applications of these techniques.

EDIT: I could be wrong and be making a fool of myself though, and I always invite people to put me in my place when I put my opinion across.

Anyway, I guess it's important to remember that we discovered Sheik before we discovered Fox Melee-wise.

Folm

Smash Cadet
I'd say IC because of all their chaingrabs and desyncing.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well that's what I interpreted as technical. And you're forgetting things like DAC, reverse chaingrabs, wall kick bairs, and wall kick reverse lasers.
But if you mean "requiring finger dexterity" or w/e I'd go with IC or something.
Wall kick bairs and reverse lasers? You mean wall jumped...?

Also, it's not just about finger dexterity, it's also about timing and how hard it is to do at all. Falco's techniques? Not so much.

Link is quite technical, he also needs to utilize his techs as much as he can to win, unlike a character such as Meta Knight, who is good without techs.
You're the, what, 29th person to nominate Link, yet I have yet to see a single person specify exactly what it is that makes Link technical.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
According to this thread, Link has the most techniques, so OBVIOUSLY he is the most technical! Durrrrrrr!

Ice Climbers, hands down. In fact, the mere fact that they're so technical with their own ATs that are pretty much needed to do well with them and that they pull off techniques that annoy the living hell out of me (anything from Popo grabbing me -> fair from Nana at an edge to a 0-death) should be placing the ICs leagues above everyone else. Then there's the fact that a lot of their ATs can play into their non-grabbing attacks, like a simple desynched Ice Block which would be the bane of my existence if I didn't have Ivysaur.

I can't see anyone coming anywhere close to them.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Bigman, people are counting CG's for Ice climbers.

This automatically constitutes Yoshi's CG and Grab release spike.

There is also edge-cancelled eggs, see theres a difference between doing it properly and doing it incorrectly, doing it incorrectly makes it easy for someone to hit you inbetween egg throws, doing it right makes it harder and grants you those nice premo invincibility frames =p.

Egg Toss is somewhat technical, while not grand in any sense of the word, like pit's arrows knowing how to shoot them properly is integral to yoshi's game.

Good yoshi's (not calling myself good, or even saying im doing this) can use Egg toss to bait, for defensive and offensive measures, however to do this you need to be able to control the egg to it's full extent, under pressure. Once you learn it, it becomes second nature.

Yoshi has a couple hard CG's too you know >.>

Edge cancelled eggs
egg lay foot stool
Draconic reverse
Draconic Trot(the qualities seem to differ enough that you wouldn't just use one if you could do both exactly...)
Chain Grabs
Grab Release spike
and this also applies to Lucas and Ness, DJAD, while quite novel, where you activate this can make a difference, it can mean you get to above the ledge and the invincibility frames run out just before you touch the ground, or that you go over the ledge entirely in AD frames, or simply that in the initial frames you were invulnerable so that you can use a move quickly near the peak of yoshi's height.
Not that technical but eh whatever.
Egg Toss.

I still think Link > IC's.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Because all I hear for IC's is desynch and Chain grabs.

Link arrow cancels, bomb smashes, and blah well im not a link main (because his recovery has finally turned me off), but he has some more stuff to do, like gale guarding which requires spacing to utilize to it's full....good spacing.

Links game would apparently need to abuse everything at him, since with that....issue he has, he needs to capatalize fully on what he can do while still on stage.

Khaos Blackdragon

Smash Cadet
Sonic is just one of the hardest characters to learn in Brawl. I don't really think that automatically makes him technical (I main a very good Sonic by the way) I think that the most technical characters are the IC's and Link *coughIzawcough*

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because all I hear for IC's is desynch and Chain grabs.

Link arrow cancels, bomb smashes, and blah well im not a link main (because his recovery has finally turned me off), but he has some more stuff to do, like gale guarding which requires spacing to utilize to it's full....good spacing.

Links game would apparently need to abuse everything at him, since with that....issue he has, he needs to capatalize fully on what he can do while still on stage.
The number of techniques is inconsequential. And you just named, what, 3 things?

Nintendevil

Smash Ace

Technically (lol no pun) Snake. I know you could go and read a ton of crap, but really, when brawl just came out, we all thought he was low tier. A noob will just spam his Nikita, Fsmash and crap. I think the biggest challenge is the grenade timing.

Then the ICs. I've even seen some really good IC's mess up CG's.

Also Zss. all that stun crap us just... *Shudders* though I don't actually main her...

Top Bottom