• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most irritating braindead For Glory/Offline styles?

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
Everyone knows there are some hardcore scrubs on For Glory, but what do you think are the most annoying, most irritating, most salt-inducing or simply most cheap playstyles they have to offer?

I personally hate the For Glory Mario - down throw combos, cape, fludd and so on...

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I personally hate the For Glory Mario - down throw combos, cape, fludd and so on...
Kinda sounds like you hate Mario in general, then. All you're missing is Up Throw to aerials, Fireballs and back-throws at high percents to kill.
As for strategies I don't like: I really hate fighting Mac on For Glory simply because I feel like some people use him since he's so godly under lag.
I also fought this kid once when I was over at my friend's house that did nothing but spam PK Thunder and PK Rocket once his percentage started to build. I couldn't handle it and I killed myself to end the match.

TheMarsh

Smash Rookie
NNID
tedsterkid
Not gonna lie I hate Mario as well, Dthrow- utilt-utilt-utilt-utilt-utilt then just string like 40 up airs
But personally there is something about King Dedede that really just pisses me off in FG. Can't really put my finger on it but whenever I plat against a D3 it just makes me angry

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Everyone knows there are some hardcore scrubs on For Glory, but what do you think are the most annoying, most irritating, most salt-inducing or simply most cheap playstyles they have to offer?

So you hate it when people play the character correctly?

It doesn't get any worse than For Glory Sonics. Spin Dash -> up air, wash, rinse, and repeat. Runner up goes to For Glory Toon Links.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
I hate when people complain about "braindead" combos like Mario's down throw up tilt or Ness' down throw Fair.

Guys, they're bread and butter combos. They're the basic combos of those characters that are safe, reliable, and deal considerable percentage.
Especially at low percentages.

What do you want them to do? NOT exploit their character's strengths?
And besides, at high enough percentages (like 40%), you can easily start DI'ing out of practically everyone's basic combos.

If PK Thunder Spam, Fire spam, projectile spam, or basic grab combo spam is giving you trouble, the spam isn't the problem. You are.
You need to get better because I've seen it so many times.
People complain, moan and cry over certain characters/moves, figure out a way around them and then act like it was no big deal.
I knew this one guy who insulted my Ness. He'd complain about how I was a fraud and Ness was cheap.
Three months later, he figured out how to beat Ness with Diddy and now he mains him. He changed his Instagram profile to "Onett Boys".

People who complain about basic smash moves are the high schoolers of Smash who just experienced their first breakup.
They complain and complain, all the while you know, you just KNOW, they're gonna get over it eventually. But you gotta keep hearing their salty BS about how "it's not fair and I'll never get over it".

Tl;dr: If basic combos are annoying, get good

Last edited:

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
I hate when people complain about "braindead" combos like Mario's down throw up tilt or Ness' down throw Fair.

Guys, they're bread and butter combos. They're the basic combos of those characters that are safe, reliable, and deal considerable percentage.

And besides, at high enough percentages (like 40%), you can easily start DI'ing out of practically everyone's basic combos.

If PK Thunder Spam, Fire spam, projectile spam, or basic grab combo spam is giving you trouble, the spam isn't the problem. You are.
People complain, moan and cry over certain characters/moves, figure out a way around them and then act like it was no big deal.
I knew this one guy who insulted my Ness. He'd complain about how I was a fraud and Ness was cheap.
Three months later, he figured out how to beat Ness with Diddy and now he mains him. He changed his Instagram profile to "Onett Boys".

People who complain about basic smash moves are the high schoolers of Smash who just experienced their first breakup.
They complain and complain, all the while you know, you just KNOW, they're gonna get over it eventually. But you gotta keep hearing their salty BS about how "it's not fair and I'll never get over it".

Yeah, I like to fight Ness, I don't think thats braindead because if a d-throw>Up air/f-air combo is braindead then almost the whole rooster is braindead lol
but the one that I hate is Little Mac in lag even If I main Sheik, laggy Little Mac gives trouble, also I must mention that Sheik with lag is horrible and Little Mac godlike
EDIT: I forgot about Mario, I just don't like to fight Mario against lag lol
Its like that I dislike lag more than characters

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Sheik with lag is horrible and Little Mac godlike
I kind of feel like this:
Characters that need precise, fast movements get screwed over by lag. AKA Sheik.
Meanwhile, Little Mac seems to be Brawl's Meta Knight tier during lag because of how hard it is to react to anything he does. It's almost like you're playing his game and you can't do much about it.

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974

Consider this is online; For Glory, with lag. I can somewhat stand 'bread and butters' offline where DI/Smash DI isn't a lot harder than it should be (with the lack of lag) but online it just becomes really hard to escape and punish.

I also said about FLUDD. They may not get it every time but they just seem like such an annoying little tryhard doing to. Same with the Cape - they just want to be Alpharad.

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
All you're missing is Up Throw to aerials
They aren't actually that bad since they are easier to escape. Also, I almost never see them.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I also said about FLUDD. They may not get it every time but they just seem like such an annoying little tryhard doing to. Same with the Cape - they just want to be Alpharad.
Or maybe, you know... they could be just trying to utilize all the tools Mario has. FLUDD isn't even just for gimping recoveries, you can use to space and to make recovery paths far more predictable so you can punish them more effectively, if them recovering to the stage is inevitable. Though, I'll admit, in laggy situations, applying FLUDD into anything of use is really difficult.
And the cape. Mario's has had that cape since Melee. Pretty much every Mario main that kind of knows what they're doing should know how to apply it. It's not like Alpharad invented that move so everyone that does it too is copying him.
They aren't actually that bad since they are easier to escape. Also, I almost never see them.
If you manage an Up Throw>Down Air>Up Special, that's potentially 7-10-12 damage you can do. Far harder to land than followups to Down Throw (even if you manage to get the Super Jump Punch off, I don't think you'll be hitting for the full 12 damage), but still pretty damaging. Especially if used at the top of somewhere like Battlefield.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
Recently, whenever I play a match with a Kirby and Cloud user, Kirby Swallows Cloud, and proceeds to Spam Blade Beam, and since I've got two other opponents to worry about, it comes off as annoying.
This also isn't very irritating to me, but Samus users who just use Missiles and Charge shots. Perfect shield most of things and than I counter attack. It only gets annoying when they start rolling around.
Another recent thing is Sonic users who do either do Spin Dash or Spin Charge, and then jump to do Homing Attack, and repeat.

RJBlazer

Smash Rookie
Oh man, where do I begin with this discussion?

I agree with Mario! I despise his down throw-up tilt combos, and his stupid cape to pieces.

I also can't stand ANYONE who uses Captain Falcon and his annoying taunts during gameplay, Pisses me off just by getting my ass handed to me and being taunted at the exact same time by that character.

Honorable Mentions are: spammers.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Well, I kind of really dislike Rosalina and Luma in general. For Glory or not. I don't like fighting her. Even then, it's not like she's unbeatable for me. I just have a really bad time dealing with her when she's against me.

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
Well, I kind of really dislike Rosalina and Luma in general. For Glory or not. I don't like fighting her. Even then, it's not like she's unbeatable for me. I just have a really bad time dealing with her when she's against me.
Same, like I find her annoying and a bit irritating to play versus but she isn't braindead at all, also a lot of players play her campy.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I also agree with Mario, and those easy grab combo in general.

Don't get me wrong, they are basic combos that you should exploit. I too uses the follow ups of my characters. But you easily see when the opponents rely solely on it on the most braindead way possible.

:4mario::4falcon::4zss: are the three pros of the "LETMEGRABYOUPLEASE" playstyle.

This, and the braindead projectile spam. Easy to counter, easy to beat, but annoying, not fun at all, and often ends up in long battles.

And Little Mac with FSmash as the only movement option, but that more a matter of lag.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4link:'s and:4dedede:'s that do nothing but run away and spam projectiles.

:4littlemac:'s that only spam smash attacks and use rolls as their only form of movement

:4wiifit:'s that wait on the ledge and spam soccer ball.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Sonic is the most boring, as well as irritating character who I consider brain-dead because of how people choose to play him on For Glory.

99.99% of Sonic's refuse to mix it up, even if it's perfectly clear the strategy just isn't working. No matter how skilled the player is, they always do the same thing over and over. I get that it can be useful, and some Sonic's I find on For Glory can make it extremely hard to hit them when they use this strategy correctly but it's still the same old thing always and forever. Spinning and jumping for days and days.

I would be truly grateful to any Sonic player I find that does something completely different for once. Sadly I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
I don't really like Rosalina and Luma either lol. Oddly, when fighting them, I always seem to be at my most aggressive. Maybe it's my anger coming out at them.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac edge guarding with Down Smash, Ness' PK fire > grab > that two air combo, DDD Gordos spam.

Unrelated, FamilyTeam FamilyTeam , your avatar is beautiful, where can I see the full image? Thanks!

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
Rob...between Gyro and Laser spam usually I SD, end the match, and find a new opponent.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Losing to almost every :4dedede: I fought. Something about this fat ass penguin creature just keeps biting me in the ass. :urg:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Don't you just hate it when people do down throw combos? yea that scrub tactic is dumb, no one in smash 4 should be doing down throw combos, it's for noobs. If you are Game & Watch, or Mario. just forward throw them, get original.

I also hate when people spam me with projectiles, and no. don't tell me to be someone else, I wanan be Ganon who has the worse approach options in the game. just stop spamming.

It's so annoying when people win, like stop tryharding, I'm tired of people using their B moves. Start mashing out of strings and combos like a real player and go for Dairs off stage 99% of the time.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
So you hate it when people play the character correctly?

It doesn't get any worse than For Glory Sonics. Spin Dash -> up air, wash, rinse, and repeat. Runner up goes to For Glory Toon Links.
You're saying that down throw to up tilt a thousand times, spamming fireballs when out of range, using FLUDD and fair as your only edgeguarding tools is the good way to play Mario?

If that was true I would be losing to For Glory Marios. But I'm not.

My most hated character on FG is Link. Not because I lose to them, because I usually don't, but there's just so many!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You're saying that down throw to up tilt a thousand times, spamming fireballs when out of range, using FLUDD and fair as your only edgeguarding tools is the good way to play Mario?
He said down throw combos, so that includes up tilt, up air, SJP, the works. Fireballs are the only projectile that Mario has, so spamming them out of range is kind of the smart thing to do. FLUDD is an amazing edgeguarding move, so yes in a nutshell, that should be how a beginner would play Mario.
They're guaranteed at 0%, and up throw is a better throw than down throw. You can always distinguish a competent Mario from an idiot Mario by which throw they start off with.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
They're guaranteed at 0%, and up throw is a better throw than down throw. You can always distinguish a competent Mario from an idiot Mario by which throw they start off with.
Actually, I start with different throws on different characters. Falcon, for example, I start with Up Throw, Mario, Fox, Cloud and Marth, for example, I start with Down Throw.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
He said down throw combos, so that includes up tilt, up air, SJP, the works. Fireballs are the only projectile that Mario has, so spamming them out of range is kind of the smart thing to do. FLUDD is an amazing edgeguarding move, so yes in a nutshell, that should be how a beginner would play Mario.

Is up throw a better throw just at 0% or is down throw better at later.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Depends. If you Down Throw Captain Falcon at 0%, he lands on his feet and he actually has time to raise his shield and block an Up Tilt, so that's why I use Up Throw instead at 0%

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Don't you just hate it when people do down throw combos? yea that scrub tactic is dumb, no one in smash 4 should be doing down throw combos, it's for noobs. If you are Game & Watch, or Mario. just forward throw them, get original.

I also hate when people spam me with projectiles, and no. don't tell me to be someone else, I wanan be Ganon who has the worse approach options in the game. just stop spamming.

It's so annoying when people win, like stop tryharding, I'm tired of people using their B moves. Start mashing out of strings and combos like a real player and go for Dairs off stage 99% of the time.
"Hmm...With Mr. G&W, should I Down throw and follow up with a Judge, Utilt or almost-always guaranteed Nair or should I just throw them forward and follow up with nothing. I gotta be original."

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
This isn't necessarily on For Glory, but its online so I guess it still applies.

Dumbest way I've seen on how to use Kirby. Hang on the edge of a stage, Suck opponent in, Jump off the stage then spit opponent out just within Kirby's recovering distance. Like what the hell is that?

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974

Ah. The reason why I thought it was easy to escape is due to the players once in a blue moon on For Glory that do this carry out the combo completely wrongly.

Last edited:

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
This isn't necessarily on For Glory, but its online so I guess it still applies.
I did say For Glory/Offline, but yeah, online still 'counts'.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4mario:- Does more flips than a dolphin.
:4ness:- Secretly a masochist when it comes to PK thunder.
:4villager:- "Shots fired"
:4sonic:- Spamming around at the speed of sound~
:4falcon:- Beat em up fast.
:4sheik:- Just not f-air in general.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
It's weight-dependent. Against super heavyweights like Bowser and fast fallers like Fox, always use up throw until about 50-60%. For lightweights and featherweights, use down throw instead. Generally, up throw is better at low percents, down throw is better at higher ones.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
People who play Mewtwo and the ENTIRE MATCH is a cat and mouse game just chasing them from one side of the stage to the other for 5 straight minutes. They run to one side, shadowball, roll roll roll roll shadowball roll roll roll roll shadowball.

And it's 99% of the people who play Mewtwo. All diff players, same exact sh*t.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
For Glory Zero Suit Samus.
I'm gonna give myself the right to quit out of every single match my opponent chooses her.

11volt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MasterHector
3DS FC
3308-4758-8536
Switch FC
SW-6893-8714-9974
For Glory Zero Suit Samus.
I'm gonna give myself the right to quit out of every single match my opponent chooses her.
I can tell you don't just mean Zero Skill Spamus... ALL OF THEM ARE HORRIBLE.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
People who play Mewtwo and the ENTIRE MATCH is a cat and mouse game just chasing them from one side of the stage to the other for 5 straight minutes. They run to one side, shadowball, roll roll roll roll shadowball roll roll roll roll shadowball.

I've only seen one or two good Mewtwos on FG, so... yeah.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity

I fought a Lucario that did exactly that.
Until I caped one of his Aura Spheres and he died.

Top Bottom