• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most effective ways to master movement?

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
I'm wondering how to do the cool movement that you see in warm ups for sets. I'm a new player, and I want to master movement in a fast and effective way, is there a method that really helps?

Snorlaxes

Smash Cadet
Watch whatever cool movement that you want to emulate in slow motion, break down what's actually happening in terms of dash / wavedashing / wavelanding, then just practice. You can't really master anything in this game quickly, just keep working at it and you'll see improvement.

tsm2k420XX

Smash Cadet
Watch whatever cool movement that you want to emulate in slow motion, break down what's actually happening in terms of dash / wavedashing / wavelanding, then just practice. You can't really master anything in this game quickly, just keep working at it and you'll see improvement.
Thanks!!

King Mob

Smash Cadet
Learning specific movement patterns and the execution of the movements themselves is a good thing. But primarily you want to understand how movement works in footsies. Like when you're in a game, start paying attention to things like how far you have to dash into your opponent's space before they hit a button; how you have to space your dash dancing or whatever so that their move that you've baited or reacted to whiffs and you're still in range to punish for damage; when you're dash dancing real fast in place to make your rushdown more ambiguous, how long do you have to dash dance before your approach stops being obvious, how long can you dash dance before your opponent is ready. It's better to have a basic ***** dash dance with purpose than pretty, pointless movement.

Edit: Footsies = neutral. It's slang from traditional 2d fighters (Street Fighter, Vampire, KoF, etc.) for neutral at midrange.

Last edited:
Top Bottom