• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Annoying Characters?

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I'm firmly in camp with those who think Link's (grounded) Up Special should be nerfed. No-one needs a move that stays out forever, has the reach of Roy's Ftilt in front of and behind them with very high scaling knockback and a stupid diagonal angle. KOs at low percents by trajectory, high percents from its power. Ugh. Oh yeah did I mention that if your feet are touching Link's head you still get hit? Those are some downright silly hitboxes you got there, Link.
Man, this move sounds completely OP! Oh wait, if you shield it, you have so much time to punish it that you can drop your shield, quite literally walk straight through his spinning sword, and hit him with any goddamn move you please. I can't believe that with all of the mildly infuriating tools that Link has, people are still complaining about his up-b of all things.

Last edited:

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Man, this move sounds completely OP! Oh wait, if you shield it, you have so much time to punish it that you can drop your shield, quite literally walk straight through his spinning sword, and hit him with any goddamn move you please. I can't believe that with all of the mildly infuriating tools that Link has, people are still complaining about his up-b of all things.
That argument doesn't work, only because it would literally work for any move in the game. Yes, some form of counter play exists at all levels against all attacks. That's part of what makes smash great. By your standard, there are no moves that are too powerful because everything has counter play.The question is balance and risk vs reward, and in this case while the risk for using it is moderate due to end lag, it is still incredibly strong, fairly safe due to it's range, and takes little skill input from the user. (I would rather be Ken combo'd then killed by this. At least the ken combo's feels like it takes skill from my opponent.)
People aren't saying that it's broken, or impossible to play against, people are saying that it's imbalanced due to it having a significant amount more reward than risk.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I will never be more annoyed with a character that I am with Luigi and Zelda. Mewtwo and Ivysaur are next, but not nearly close.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
That argument doesn't work, only because it would literally work for any move in the game. Yes, some form of counter play exists at all levels against all attacks. That's part of what makes smash great. By your standard, there are no moves that are too powerful because everything has counter play.The question is balance and risk vs reward, and in this case while the risk for using it is moderate due to end lag, it is still incredibly strong, fairly safe due to it's range, and takes little skill input from the user. (I would rather be Ken combo'd then killed by this. At least the ken combo's feels like it takes skill from my opponent.)
People aren't saying that it's broken, or impossible to play against, people are saying that it's imbalanced due to it having a significant amount more reward than risk.
Name one other attack that you can shield, drop your shield, and act back with a CHARGED fsmash before the attack ends. There is literally no other move that is more punishable than a shielded up-b from Link. If you think that Link's up-b is safe you are probably just REALLY bad at playing around it.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Name one other attack that you can shield, drop your shield, and act back with a CHARGED fsmash before the attack ends. There is literally no other move that is more punishable than a shielded up-b from Link. If you think that Link's up-b is safe you are probably just REALLY bad at playing around it.
The easy obvious answer here is Jigg's Rest, which you can easily hit with any charged smash if it is whiffed. Ike's forward smash, and probably zelda's neutral special as well are just as end laggy.

The point I was trying to make is that no matter how much counter play exists for a move, it is impossible to avoid a move 100% of the time. Even pro's get hit, and if you magically prance around your matches avoiding every single attack and stay at 0% the entire time, then all the more power to you.
Us mere mortal occasional get hit by another move, put into hitstun, and then gimped at silly low percents because of this. It doesn't feel like your opponent earned it or pulled off some epic kill, it just feels cheap.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I'm watching some videos of Boss on S@X, and now I can see why people would be soooooo annoyed by diddy, I'm sure I would be too if I had a Diddy I played against a often
whenever my friend pulls out his diddy, I have to pull out the squirtle. Otherwise diddy is a pain.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Posts like these make me question if people sometimes forget that combos in P:M are significantly more varied than in Brawl. There are ways Link can get Up Specials out of other moves, if the player is smart enough. Yes, I can shield it, but only if my opponent is even more stupid than I am and just throws it out for no reason.

Anyone complaining about Link's Up-B is just bad.
I am bad, yes. In fact, I'd argue that I am downright awful at all Smash games, mods included. What's a SHFFL? However, I'm sure there is a player out there who finds the move a bit frustrating who isn't "bad".

EDIT: Spelling, punctuation, wording

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Players who constantly whine about annoying characters are more annoying than any of the annoying characters. So yeah, that's my answer.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who isn't :fox:
There's way too much variety in this game. Like even :falco: and :wolf: are pushing the boundaries of creative and just downright silly.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
There's an answer for every attack and character.
Squirtle's Withdraw is tough to deal with, and Link is annoying right now, but once I find something that works for me to handle these situations, then those characters will be fine.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
There's an answer for every attack and character.
Squirtle's Withdraw is tough to deal with, and Link is annoying right now, but once I find something that works for me to handle these situations, then those characters will be fine.
+1 on the withdrawel. The move is lower than most projectiles, fast and has armor. I'm not going to claim it's OP because truthfully i haven't tried all options but it is REALLY annoying to deal with.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Ness and Zelda are incredibly annoying to play against. I really dislike playing against the Ice Climbers too; it's just not a fun matchup.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
It's a good thing that half his moves don't make the same noise then.
PM Gold Changelist
- All of sonic's previous sfx have been replaced with either "Your too slow!" or "Come on! Step it Up!". There's no way to guarentee which one so you'll have to be on your toes and see if you can predict the pattern!

Last edited:

_Accelerator

Smash Cadet
+1 on the withdrawel. The move is lower than most projectiles, fast and has armor. I'm not going to claim it's OP because truthfully i haven't tried all options but it is REALLY annoying to deal with.
Wario's and Ganon's Side-B beats it, Ganon's and Falcon's Down-B beats it, and I believe characters with disjointed grabs have an easier time since they can grab him out of it. Dedede's and Kirby's Swallow also might beat it

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Basically anyone who's broken, so Fox and Falco, possibly MK too.

ofna01

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1134-9609-8501
Wario, Ness and ZSS

I don't really know why I don't like fighting Wario, just extremely annoying for some reason.

I hate ZSS because I don't like having control taken away, and alot of her attacks keep you in place.

Ness for the same reasons as ZSS.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I'd probably go with Squirtle because of the super armor he has while shell-shifting. Plus he can F-air out of a shell-shift SH. I just hate dealing with his shell-shifting. That's about it.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Squirtle doesn't have super armor, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have armor while shell-shifting, I think it just has a hit box.

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Link and Samus are so annoying. I just hate having to deal with all the projectiles. It's not that they're overpowered or anything, and it's not that I can't play against them, they're just annoying. I do agree that Link's Up Special Grounded does need a little bit of nerfing though. And there is nothing I hate more than being knocked out of a grab by an uncanny boomerang :L

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Squirtle doesn't have super armor, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have armor while shell-shifting, I think it just has a hit box.
I didn't know. Thank you for the knowledgable information. Much appreciated. I don't know why. I'm a Link main. I just hate Squirtle and his play style. His shell shifting is the main problem I can't stand. Now, I just SH and drop bombs along the ground in a trail which limits squirtle' options once he shell shifts, forcing him to jump over the bomb(s) towards me.

Last edited:

Some_Chords

Smash Rookie
Every sonic around me has ridiculous pressure skills, and it feels like I can't even move in some matches. A Falcon that can't move is a sad Falcon.

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Falco, Ness, and Squirtle. I just don't enjoy playing against them.
I used to have the same opinion as you. For me :ness2:'s Pk fire was the most annoying thing but then i learned how to DI and space properly which made it more reasonable to deal with.
:falco: I'm still having trouble with. :glare:
:squirtle: i don't think would be as difficult to fight if he was just a bit larger. It's one thing to be olimar sized but it's another when you can move like sonic as well.

Last edited:

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
I didn't know. Thank you for the knowledgable information. Much appreciated. I don't know why. I'm a Link main. I just hate Squirtle and his play style. His shell shifting is the main problem I can't stand. Now, I just SH and drop bombs along the ground in a trail which limits squirtle' options once he shell shifts, forcing him to jump over the bomb(s) towards me.
Personally, I think Link has some pretty significant advantages against Squirtle, but I don't main Link so I'm not super knowledgeable about the character.

JesusTheSecondComing

Smash Rookie
I used to have the same opinion as you. For me :ness2:'s Pk fire was the most annoying thing but then i learned how to DI and space properly which made it more reasonable to deal with.
:falco: I'm still having trouble with. :glare:
:squirtle: i don't think would be as difficult to fight if he was just a bit larger. It's one thing to be olimar sized but it's another when you can move like sonic as well.
What do you recommend for DI-ing out of Ness' PK fire and spacing? My friend mains as him and his PK fire is the most annoying thing in the world :/

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
What do you recommend for DI-ing out of Ness' PK fire and spacing? My friend mains as him and his PK fire is the most annoying thing in the world :/
Forewarning: I'm no pro but this has worked for my friend group that i play with semi competitively.
My friend plays a sloppy ness and likes to approach with pk fire followed by a dash attack or grab. A lot of times you just have to know that he won't approach you unless your in the fire. He has some other tools he can use such as fair or nair but at a basic level it's almost always pk fire dash attack or grab. That being said i can't give you much more info unless you tell me who you play.
For DI i usually SDI away and a lot of times he'll miss the grab or dash attack.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
In lameman's terms, do this:
[:GCUL::GCL::GCDL::GCL::GCUL::GCL::GCDL::GCL::GCUL:]x1000
or the same in the opposite direction.
Whichever direction is opposite of your opponent.
Repeat until you are out of PK fire.
Once mastered, PK Fire is suddenly 10x less threatening (unless you play WiFi, you have no hope there).

Last edited:

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
I have not played diddy(CPU no, but human was pretty annoying), Squirtle's recovery and withdraw are complete mothers!!! and of course Zelda

NisforSmash

Smash Journeyman
Then that's should be even easier. Use your :GCD:+:GCB: when you predict an incoming pk fire or you can throw out a nair or :GCB:. (i think lucario's nair beats ness' pk fire.) Lucario has a nasty moonwalk and dash dance that you can also use at the peak of pk fire's range to fake him out. General tip. Get more comfortable with lucario and make sure your watching your opponent at ALL times. When you get used to not looking at your character it becomes easy to react to others.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Zelda isn't so annoying when you learn to not play her game. Just keep a very sharp eye on the Din's. Only 3 can be out at a time, when a 4th one gets used, the first one disappears, so be sure to be on the look out for that opening whenever you can.

Also keep in mind that she can instantly make them explode with a second and a half delay by transforming into Sheik.

Last edited:
Top Bottom