• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortal Kombat series discussion

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
This is my absolute favorite fighting game series out there other than Smash, of course. I grew up with the series and I'm glad to see that it's really getting back on track with Mortal Kombat 9 after a few missteps (namely Mortal Kombat Armageddon and DC Universe). Although I like all the gruesome fatalities that the games have had to offer, there is a lot more to the series than that which has made me come back for more. The series' over-the-top nature keeps the series interesting to me, the fun little Easter Eggs and hidden content throughout the games make me replay the game, and for a fighting game, the series actually has a pretty decent (if somewhat cheesy) story that I love to follow. So, with that said, feel free to discuss your favorite characters, games, fatalities, any other type of finishing moves, stages, or anything else! I'll start off with mine:

Favorite characters: Ermac, Rain, Smoke, Sektor, Kitana, Sonya, Jax, Kenshi, Quan Chi, Sub-Zero, Reptile, Shang Tsung, Motaro

Favorite Fatalities: Sub-Zero's Spine Rip, Kitana's Kiss of Death, Cyrax's Self-Destruct, Quan Chi's Leg Beat, Liu Kang's Dragon Morph (which is also an animality lol), Shang Tsung's Soul Steal, Ermac's Pest Control, Sektor's Scarecrow, Reptile's Acid Vomit, Baraka's Blade Lift, there's just too many good ones to count them all

Favorite Type of Finishers (other than fatalities): Friendships and Animalities

Favorite Games: Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3/Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 9, Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 4 and Mortal Kombat Deception

Favorite Music: The Portal/Shao Kahn's Arena from MK2, The Tower from MK2, Kombat Tomb from MK2, Character Select Screen from MK1, Liu Kang's Tomb from Mortal Kombat Deception, Snake from MK4, The Bank from MK3, and sooooo many more

Favorite Stages: Goro's Lair in MK1 and MK9, The Portal in MK2 and Deception, Shao Kahn's Arena in MK2, Kombat Tomb in MK2, Quan Chi's Fortress in Deception, The Balcony in MK3, Golden Desert in Deception, The Wastelands in MK2, Elder Gods Arena in MK4

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I adore MK. Absolute favorite fighting series, and easily top 5 overall series.

I play(ed) UMK3 competitively, maining Classic Sub, Cyrax and Sektor. I don't wanna guess my actual standing, but the only people I lost to more than I won were The End and Spain, who were, at the time, top 5 on Kaillera and arguably worldwide.

I also play MK9 competitively, maining Cyrax.

As for music, I think MK2 has the best, primarily because it captured the MK mythos so well. Dan Forden kinda let it slip in MK9; its soundtrack's pretty soporific.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Used to play MK9 competitively but then sort of fell out. Mained Kabal with Quan Chi as my secondary.

But still, Mortal Kombat is a completely respectable fighting game franchise that got a much-needed breath of fresh air akin to how King of Fighters got its hype back from 13.

Zone

Smash Champion
hey Metal :D

It's Critical Limit

Did you guys see the MLG stream this past weekend? OMG It made me hyped to play it competitively again.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Wasn't that tournament actually held by Warner Bros. themselves, and didn't they actually fund the prize money? I think it was $10,000 or $20,000. Or was that another tournament I'm thinking of? Whatever the case, it has a huge competitive base, and it shows. I used to play competitively, but unfortunately fell out, especially with so many other games having come out.

My MK9 mains are Kabal, Sonya, and I'm looking to pick up Reptile and Rain whenever I do get back into it.

Zone

Smash Champion
Wasn't that tournament actually held by Warner Bros. themselves, and didn't they actually fund the prize money? I think it was $10,000 or $20,000. Or was that another tournament I'm thinking of? Whatever the case, it has a huge competitive base, and it shows. I used to play competitively, but unfortunately fell out, especially with so many other games having come out.

My MK9 mains are Kabal, Sonya, and I'm looking to pick up Reptile and Rain whenever I do get back into it.
No it was MLG, it was on their stream yesterday. It was only 1,500 dollars. But the matches were mad hype.

I play Ermac, Skarlet, Jade, Noob Saibot

But I also go a decent: Raiden, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Mileena.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
No it was MLG, it was on their stream yesterday. It was only 1,500 dollars. But the matches were mad hype.
Wow, talk about a complete misfire on my part.

I play Ermac, Skarlet, Jade, Noob Saibot

But I also go a decent: Raiden, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Sub Zero, Mileena.
I wish I had the patience to learn so many characters. My attention span only allows me a few at a time.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I know the feeling. My brother got MK9 and it's been pretty fun. I mostly main Smoke, and sometimes I'll pick up Ermac or Rain. I have a couple of others I think that I play around with (like Kitana and/or Mileena, don't remember), but yeah. The thing about MK9 that gets me is things that feel like they SHOULD link sometimes don't. Like, I always felt you should be able to Super Roundhouse into either Lightning or the Water Orb with Rain, but you can't (at least I don't think so).

I kind of feel MK2 was the best one, but that's just me. And hell, I remember when MK1 came out with 7 characters.

As for the rest of it, I have just one thing to say: MK Conquest. :smirk:

Zone

Smash Champion
CRITICALLLLL

I swear to God, I see you everywhere lol
Hey "Bruce" kekeke

On a side note MK9

If anyone want some tips I'm pretty well informed on this game. Not pro status informed. But I know the physics/frame data well enough to give some advice.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Last Mortal Kombat I played was Armageddon, though I didn't play much of it.

I played a lot more of Deception.

Funny, I didn't think MK had a competitive community. It was considered a joke fighting game from everything I've seen.

Jet300

Smash Ace

Funny, I didn't think MK had a competitive community. It was considered a joke fighting game from everything I've seen.
I played Deception alot of times. Mainly because of the story mode.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

It was, but a lot of people agree that MK9 is a good step in the right direction towards making MK a legit fighting game series. Hell, it's pretty much a gateway game now in the sense that people who wouldn't normally play fighting games are learning and playing it and that well, it opens the door to learning other fighters for them.

Zone

Smash Champion

There wasn't really a competitive scene for Deception/Armageddon/Deadly alliance. Because of the broken mechanics and how shallow the gameplay was.

That's why it was a "joke"

MK9 is very fast paced. plenty of depth. and actually pretty balanced. I mean the top 8 of every tournament is usually very diverse.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
For me, the best games were MK1, 2, 3 and 9. MK vs. DCU - dare I say - wasn't a bad game, as it had good competitive potential. It just wasn't the game people were expecting. When any Mortal Kombat game has "Rated T" on it, you know they goofed up somewhere.

That said, here's something I'm sure fans of Mortal Kombat 2 and 3 can appreciate:

TAS Mortal Kombat 2 SNES in 22:44 by Samhain-Grim
TAS UMK3 SNES Glitchfest In 30:28 By mkTAS Members

They don't go for speed more so than they show off some lulzy glitches.

DaleLT

Smash Rookie
The fact that I wasn't even born from MK 1-3 means I sort of missed the boat on them and didn't know much about the story or the characters that well. We had MK3 but I was far too young to understand it or play it.

The first MK I properly played was Deadly Alliance, I really enjoyed playing it because it was different from stuff like Tekken and Soulcalibur, and it felt much more competitive to play against than those did. Need I mention the fatalities too, and I've still not managed to complete the krypt and don't think I ever will now. But it was a great game in my opinion (the shredded finger-tips after smashing the diamond on test your might, not so much)

I also loved Deception too, the konquest mode I'd spend hours a day on trying to find new things on it to do because it always felt incomplete. It was just a shame that it wasn't bigger and had more to do, but it was still a really good part of the game.

Then Armageddon and vs DCU which I won't bother with because I hated them.

MK9 I loved!! The storyline was great in my opinion, continued the series and story and not making it look or feel like a cheap attempt either. The fighting was pretty addictive too and I liked how much more diverse the styles were. I mained Kitana and Cyrax mostly and managed to make some crazy combos with them, but I've never managed to complete the challenge tower sadly

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Does anyone have any predictions for the new Mortal Kombat game?
I have seen a rumour that surfaced:

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If they have a **** Port and forced online conectivity again i wont buy this game!
(That detered me from buying 11 before)

Mr Hairyman

Smash Cadet
If that Amazon leak is true and this isn’t a fatality, this would be probably be the most missed opportunity for the Omni Man Pack.
Especially if it’s true that WB Discovery owns Death Battle

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
JOHN ****ING CENAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
DOO DOO DOO DOOOOOOO