• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More competitive stages in PM

Do you want more competitive stages in PM?

• Total voters

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Everything on the first page is geared to be more "competitive" while everything on the second page is better for "casual" play.

I think the balance of stages right now is great, but there are a few I don't care about on the second page so I just replace them with other stuff. (Bowser's Castle over Mario Circuit, N's Castle over Saffron City, etc).

Paradoxium

Smash Master
For the most part, no I don't want to see more stages because...

Each stage has certain aspects that are unique to them, that give certain characters advantages as well as disadvantages, and can help tip the scale on certain match ups. Since the stages we use are basically a variation of platforms over a flat surface, any stage we add will probably follow this criteria. And when you follow this criteria it starts to become difficult to make stages unique, and some start to out shine others and the uniqueness that a stage may have held may end up on another stage. Then you get stuck with stage redundancy, which basically makes counter picking worthless, not to mention making the incredibly boring task of stage striking even more boring, and you also get stick with stages that are worthless.

I feel like we already have enough competitive stages, but I if the pmbr could add stages while avoiding stage redundancy then I guess it would be fine.

I want more casual stages, I'm not even kidding

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Let's get a neutral stage like that yoshi brawl stage yo

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
There's only one thing I want in regard to stages.

Please do something with Norfair! Like everyone I play with hates that stage. Making the top platform smaller should be enough.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
There's only one thing I want in regard to stages.

Please do something with Norfair! Like everyone I play with hates that stage. Making the top platform smaller should be enough.
Plz god
Like that bottom platform man
Make it straight and like double or even triple the thickness. I would love it then

MLGF

Smash Lord
There are enough legal stages that there will always be a good counterpick regardless of what the opponent bans.
Let's not push it.

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
Too many "competitive" stages, not enough silly stages.
I want Brinstar Depths back, not another variation of Battlefield, we already have so many of those that we're not using them all (Norfair, Metal Cavern just to mention two commonly banned stages; I kind of like the latter too :/).

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Brinstar Depths, if brought back, should at least change a bit to become actually playable. I'm not asking for a complete competitive-friendly overhaul, I actually agree that we have a handful of those, but something along the lines of what they did with Port Town Aero Drive, Corneria, Hyrule Castle, etc.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'll take some Casual stages.

While we have quite a bit it doesn't really feel like a good selection....

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I agree with PS1 being replaced, but Pictochat though? There are other stages I'd rather be fixed first and foremost, notably the stages that have already been worked on a bit but are not quite there yet (I'm looking at you top row).

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
Brinstar Depths, if brought back, should at least change a bit to become actually playable. I'm not asking for a complete competitive-friendly overhaul, I actually agree that we have a handful of those, but something along the lines of what they did with Port Town Aero Drive, Corneria, Hyrule Castle, etc.
Hey, let's not ask for the impossible. You can't make Brinstar Depths playable without losing what makes Brinstar Depths.
Although actual ledges would be appreciated when the thing isn't turning.

XXXX1000

Smash Apprentice
I think competitive stages have reached a good point. If you add too many, then counterpicking/banning becomes useless because there will always be a decent stage for you to choose. Right now there's a strategy to knowing the stages and how they benefit you or impair your opponent is a piece of the game. In standard 2D fighters where the stage has no impact on play, go ahead and make 200, but here stages have characteristics.

Casual stages are great tho and I'd welcome more

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Hey, let's not ask for the impossible. You can't make Brinstar Depths playable without losing what makes Brinstar Depths.
Although actual ledges would be appreciated when the thing isn't turning.
If they changed it to turn a bit slower, it would already be so much better. Ledges would help too I guess.

Crescent Monkey

Smash Apprentice
At least 1/3 of the "competitive" stages on the first page are bad. I don't necessarily want more viable stages, just a few better ones. In particular:
Skyworld, Lylat Cruise, Yoshi's Island(Brawl), and PS1 are all legal counterpicks in 99% of tournaments, and all of them are awful. I could go for a few new stages to replace those, then just dump those on to page 2

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I posted this before in another thread, but it's basically my ideal setup for the CSS.

- - -
Bottom row all neutral/starters. Middle row all counter-picks. Top row all doubles/teams stages. Each row has a different outer box color to indicate this and the background of the stage select screen has a legend to tell you about this color code. Perhaps bottom row = green, middle row = yellow, and top row = red

Second page all wacky/fun/casual stages.
- - -

But, like has been said, I think the competitive stages need to be done right: you can't just throw a bunch of 'em out there, it messes with banning and counter-picking.

210stuna

Smash Lord
More competitive stages built with the same, if not more amount of professional work put into it by the PMBR like they did for Skyloft?

Hell yeah

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I think we have a fair amount of competitive stages. I want to see our goofy stages back like vanilla Norfair and vanilla Wario Ware (alongside their competitive counterparts). Also, why did they edit stages like Japes and Pictochat if they weren't going to be used?

Also, I'm in the minority here, but I like Spear Pillar and Bridge of Eldin better than the Saffron City and Hyrule Castle. Without their hazards, they're generic as ****. Personally, they don't provide me with much nostalgia at all.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Quite honestly, it does not matter to me. The stages we have now are grand. I mean if they'd like to add more stages then fine. But the competitive stages we have now are great.

Oracle

Smash Master
Pictochat would be 100% fine if the slanted line transformation didnt make the left ledge disappear. Its literally the only thing preventing that stage from being tournament viable.

I am of the opinion that most of the stages in om are competitively viable, including ones like delfino, frigate, halberd, and port town (maybe). I would love to have all those stages in anlist but there are just way too many good ones (also the transforming stages get kind of redundant)

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Halberd would be pretty legit if it weren't for the ****ty camera. With that annoying machine arm gone, the hazards have become fairly tame (seriously, the canon doesn't even do anything half the time).

Top Bottom