• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

WarranThad

Smash Ace
there are certain matchups which are extremely linear. but if you look at mirror matches in brawl it's more of the same..

with 3 strengths of each attack and special move to bust out at every time...

but yeah some matches are very straightforward. guile vs ehonda, for example. hes gonna camp me to **** with sonic booms and if i jump in im getting flash kicked. when i get in i pretty much have to kill him before he runs away again or i lose (bad matchup for ehonda). some matches are like that, but others are like balrog vs ryu where it's a fantastic fight between ryu whos trying to fireball trap him and balrog (boxer) whos trying to get through to punch him in the face. sure it's the same moves you're using, but just the way it plays out is so beautiful and is all great, super fun gameplay that requires you to be attentive and predict your opponent very well.

Alopex

Smash Ace
So many fighting games being discussed.

None of those really matter, because you're all overlooking the best fighting game ever made by anything ever: Xenogears "Battling" mini-game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRkiKv3yjQI

Awwwww yeah... pretty certain nothing will ever really be able to top that glory.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand the issue with plain stages. With length and maybe height for some games (lol arcana) differing, it's something to expect from EVERY 2D fighters. Yeah counter picking a stage with a ****ing boat shooting bombs at your *** is loads of fun, but **** ain't gonna fly in real fighters.

You don't need obstacles, hazzards or any of that crap. Between the two "walls" you get plenty of strategy already. Controlling of space is subtle but very present.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Meh.

''The wheels of fate are turning, rebel 1, ACTION!'' doesn't sound as epic as ''Final Battle...DECIDE THE DESTINY!'' or ''Heaven or Hell, duel 1, LET'S ROCK!''

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I don't understand the issue with plain stages. With length and maybe height for some games (lol arcana) differing, it's something to expect from EVERY 2D fighters. Yeah counter picking a stage with a ****ing boat shooting bombs at your *** is loads of fun, but **** ain't gonna fly in real fighters.

You don't need obstacles, hazzards or any of that crap. Between the two "walls" you get plenty of strategy already. Controlling of space is subtle but very present.
It's not about having obstacles and hazards. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, two huge impassable walls on both sides of the stage are large obstacles. It's hard to describe but I dislike the fact that I don't have much freedom of motion. Like in smash there's an offstage, offstage fighting is far more present in Brawl than Melee and it's one of the things I enjoy most. But offstage does not only allow for fighting off stage it also gives you more freedom to move. Off stage allows for grabbing ledges, for some characters it can allow some safety (ROB mostly), some characters can even go under the stage to the other side. These are all movement options provided by just having an offstage. And beyond just that there are platforms and other things on stage which remove the linear aspect of constantly having to run into your opponent. There are two options from what I can see in SF, camp, or run into your opponent and fight. I don't see how you could possibly do something like... jump to a strategic place on the stage, bait your opponent in and quickly punish.

In short I just feel like things are more dynamic in smash, even camping feels more dynamic because there are multiple places you can go to camp, and when you're being chased you have to find new spots which might include a ledge, a platform, and another location on the ground which may be at a different height. Attacking is more dynamic because there are more locations you can come from. I <3 air control. Also, some variety is always good.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
A SF2 match is a constant struggle for lowering your opponent's options, the lack of options is exactly the thing that gives strategy to SF.

Two days ago I was beaten by a dictator, as blanka, who did nothing but spam psycho crusher. I had no projectile to space him out. I could c.hp to go under his PCs but it required extremely good timing and he would end up at the far end of the stage anyways, free to spam some more. I couldn't charge anything while blocking as he kept going from right to left...
if you're having problems against a pc spamming **** player, a competent one would make you totally cry...

Also, easiest way to deal with fierce crusher if you can't counter hit it is by camping the wall behind you so that he can't cross you up. You could also try electricity, I think that move only loses to lows, but don't spam it mindlessly because of ****'s crouching roundhouse (lol I've spectated matches on XBL where ***** didnt even knew how to counter electricity). Your main objective in this matchup is to score a knockdown to abuse **** on the wakeup game. You can't spam balls or try jab ball to bite because **** can spam jabs to beat the balls. If **** spams standing kicks to pressure you, counter with your slide. Most important thing... master your reversals and your throw escapes! Not being able to do these two things will make you very vulnerable to ****'s offense.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
It's not about having obstacles and hazards. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, two huge impassable walls on both sides of the stage are large obstacles. It's hard to describe but I dislike the fact that I don't have much freedom of motion. Like in smash there's an offstage, offstage fighting is far more present in Brawl than Melee and it's one of the things I enjoy most. But offstage does not only allow for fighting off stage it also gives you more freedom to move. Off stage allows for grabbing ledges, for some characters it can allow some safety (ROB mostly), some characters can even go under the stage to the other side. These are all movement options provided by just having an offstage. And beyond just that there are platforms and other things on stage which remove the linear aspect of constantly having to run into your opponent. There are two options from what I can see in SF, camp, or run into your opponent and fight. I don't see how you could possibly do something like... jump to a strategic place on the stage, bait your opponent in and quickly punish.

In short I just feel like things are more dynamic in smash, even camping feels more dynamic because there are multiple places you can go to camp, and when you're being chased you have to find new spots which might include a ledge, a platform, and another location on the ground which may be at a different height. Attacking is more dynamic because there are more locations you can come from. I <3 air control. Also, some variety is always good.
SF is not about the position of the character on the stage, but more about the relative positions between two characters.

Besides corners, there are no other strategic portions of the stage, but there is a crazy amount of relative position between the two characters.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
Which is what makes smash more of a platform game than anything else if you ask me. You can't compare fighting games to it, which is what I was getting at with "it's something to expect from EVERY 2D fighters".

EDIT: Just to add, having a simple stage with corners has its own dynamic which many fighters have built upon over the years. Getting your opponent stuck in the corner often offers you better combo opportunities, more options for blockstrings and mixups, and the general advantage of having an entire stage of space to move behind you, while your opponent has nowhere else to go but forward. You limit his movement options and that is very rewarding for you. It's all built on momentum, decided on careful spacing and zoning inside a limited area of space, forcing you to play a careful game where mistakes can cost you much more than taking a simple "10%" damage resetted into a neutral situation.

Where a larger map with more movement options allows for greater freedom and poking games, a smaller and more limited stage forces confrontation and a stronger emphasis on momentum. The two genres are very different, and making a choice on which you prefer is a matter left entirely to opinions. But you shouldn't dismiss the depth and strategy that surrounds either styles.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Yeah I gotcha. My initial statement was that I personally don't like classic fighters. I wasn't saying they were bad. I understand there is strategy involved, I just dislike the overall gameplay. To each his own :)

kr3wman

Smash Master
Meta Knight Banned?

ALL INFINITES ARE BANNED

This means you cannot perform:

More than 6 IC Alternate Throws, you must smash/throw/release them after 6 throws.

*Wall Infinites are aloud, since they change over time*
Stupid. You easily have enough time to rack up 100+ dmg in most of them.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
How about you stop playing a crappy character instead of banning the good ones?

lolol jk don't hate me

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Btw, for those coming to my place, I have no computer at home so the only way to contact me would be though cellphone: 261-7379

zaf

Smash Lord
for people who want to go to niagara. you will need to find another vehicle like fizzi did. He will not be here this time around and my car is already full.

by this i mean you bento, jer and fil( i think). if you can find a van for cheap rental or for free let me know, i can drive it.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Agora:
I need to ask you something about a name of anime I forgot lol when can you get on msn?

And I'd like to go to OIN 2.5 who can go with me by bus or watever? I really want to get back into brawl a bit and a tournament would be perfect for it. Are you going to go agora so I can have som1 to team with at the same time? Or short on money, maybe?

Metà

Smash Master
Advertisement tiem!

SFU Tri-Smash Tourney 2! (Burnaby, BC)
Date: January 3/4, 2009

It's only a month away (sorry for the late notice), and we're still looking to get more out-of-province competition (in all 3 smash games). WA will most likely be in attendance (Eggz, DJ Combo, etc.), as well as some players from AB (superboom, FalseFalco). Housing may be an issue, but I'm working that out with some people who have helped with this in the past (ie: NoobKing), and I'm trying to see if people can stay at the venue. Also, I have a couple spots open at my house if necessary.

Anyone here interested? EC vs WC crew battles would be hot.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Advertisement tiem!

SFU Tri-Smash Tourney 2! (Burnaby, BC)

It's only a month away (sorry for the late notice), and we're still looking to get more out-of-province competition (in all 3 smash games). WA will most likely be in attendance (Eggz, DJ Combo, etc.), as well as some players from AB (superboom, FalseFalco). Housing may be an issue, but I'm working that out with some people who have helped with this in the past (ie: NoobKing), and I'm trying to see if people can stay at the venue. Also, I have a couple spots open at my house if necessary.

Anyone here interested? EC vs WC crew battles would be hot.
Aren't WE doing a Melee tournament in January?

Steb

Smash Journeyman
Can't come to your smashfest Agora, couldn't find someone to replace me :(.

I want to go to OiN2.5, but the notice is a little too late for me to make time for it :( :(.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
agony: writing from wii: no msn. pm me or mail, might not see it before monday, though. Also, not going to niagara, sorry!
thanks for the updates, steb and corruptor.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
ok then I'll write it here, I guess.

We watched animes at your place like 1 month ago

We watched

Majutsu no Index and some more but we also watched an anime with a girl that goes to live at a guy's place because he kissed her at school so they are gonna be wife and husband. I can't remember the name of the anime though, I know it's comedy romance and I think it's on going.

Top Bottom