• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montage's List of Stage Bans!

Generic Dude

Smash Cadet
Halo teams time power up respawns, weapon respawns, and player respawns. There's no reason a smash player couldn't use scripted events to their advantage.
Thats a bit different then knowing exactly where a could is. In halo you know it will respawn in a set time, but memorizing where the cloud is is just too much.

Fonz

Smash Ace
Memorizing the cloud isn't actually bad at all. It is on a twenty second rotation. It comes from outside of the middle on the 5s and goes back into the stage on the 0s (starting after the first 20 seconds I think, the cloud doesn't come out for the first bit of the match, but hopefully you won't need it that early). Since tournies keep a timer on this makes it so you can know where the cloud is while recovering even if the camera is zoomed in such a way that the cloud is off the screen.

ConeZone

Smash Ace
i want to see luigi's mansion in play and the great sea level, aka Toon Link's stage. Great Sea looks like a real fun level, and I am interested in using it because I did like Wind Waker.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Memorizing the cloud isn't actually bad at all. It is on a twenty second rotation. It comes from outside of the middle on the 5s and goes back into the stage on the 0s (starting after the first 20 seconds I think, the cloud doesn't come out for the first bit of the match, but hopefully you won't need it that early). Since tournies keep a timer on this makes it so you can know where the cloud is while recovering even if the camera is zoomed in such a way that the cloud is off the screen.
This is... incorrect.

The cloud doesn't follow anything after a minute into the match. For the first minute or so you can watch the pakederm in the back and the cloud is on that side, it just doesn't stay synched with it.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Thats a bit different then knowing exactly where a could is. In halo you know it will respawn in a set time, but memorizing where the cloud is is just too much.
That's the difference between pro and casual.

qtf

This is... incorrect.

The cloud doesn't follow anything after a minute into the match. For the first minute or so you can watch the pakederm in the back and the cloud is on that side, it just doesn't stay synched with it.
The pakederm is everything Fonz!! !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
dmbrandon.... the pakederm doesn't stay synched with it after a minute.

Also, go ahead and get on Halo. Turn off radar and play a game on Guardian. Have one guy run back and forth along bottom snipe to bottom lift. See how long you can keep tabs on him while actually playing the game when you can't see him. It isn't something you can really keep track of.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
nah overswarm youre wrong, its on a 20 sec cycle, it starts out in for 5 sec, then comes out on the right for 5 sec, then goes through the middle for 5 sec, then its out on the left for 5 sec, then in the middle for 5 sec, completing the cycle. every time the clock switches to an odd number followed by a 4 for the seconds, it will come out on the right.

Fonz

Smash Ace
This is... incorrect.

Are we talking about the melee cloud? Cause I am, and it most certainly is on a pattern. I messed around with it a few months ago playing with a 20 minute timer to test it and practiced so that I could airdodge with falco onto the cloud from well above by only seeing the timer. You should bust out melee and try it again. It comes out the right side on the odd 5s (15, 35, 55) and out the left side on the evens. Between the 2-3s is the easiest time to dodge onto it cause it's on the extreme sides so you just have to aim for that spot and not worry about it moving side to side.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the post above this =P

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
dmbrandon said:
The fact is, any stage that alters the way you have to play the game for any character in a moderate way should not be neutral.
This might turn out to be usually true in practice, but is certainly not always true in theory. There is nothing to suggest that EVERY map like this would give one character an inherent advantage. In fact, Pokemon Stadium from melee is arguably an almost perfect example, as is Final Destination (which has zero platforms - a pretty radical change from the levels in Smash 64).

At best your statement seems like more of a rule of thumb than an absolute law, and I would be very careful about applying bans based solely on it.

PS: Love your threads - they're basically the only real discussion left on these forums.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
I wish i knew the name of all the stages.... but the one that is constantly floating and change stage and scenery looks really fun... i hope that one wasnt banned

Subtle

Smash Cadet
Banning a stage because tether recovery sucks on it is a terrible reason. Just beacuse a character has a natural disadvantage is no reason to ban a stage. Sure, pokefloats sucked for ganondorf or bowser, but that didn't mean it was banned. I could see these stages not being neutral, but they should definitly be counter pick

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Norfair.
At one point, you'll have to take shelter under a small, metroid-esque tenty thing. You have to fight to keep people out, in hopes to gain a stock advantage. In teams, there's not enough room for two people to be under, and one attack to keep the others out. You'll kill your teammates much too much. IMO it's a fair singles stage, because that lava wave will only happen every 3-4minutes.
Actually two people CAN fit in the thing. I saw it in a video. Now if I could find it.

§leepy God

Smash Master
So you mean to tell me Pokemon Stadum 2 is banned because people can't handle it? Man the Brawl tournaments are going not be so fun anymore, I might not even go to one now. :(

Cless

Smash Champion
Actually two people CAN fit in the thing. I saw it in a video. Now if I could find it.
Three people can fit in it. I've seen it myself, and oh, the beatdowns that ensued inside. I wouldn't be surprised if everyone could fit in it, but the lava isn't a big deal. It can be dodged, jumped over, or shielded.

graceofbass

Smash Cadet
Pit's stage is going to take some getting used to. The platforms that sit on top of the clouds are breakable, so you can really mess with someone that way, and when you're recovering (I saw this particularly with Snake) you can't go through the platforms and have to make sure you're on the edge to come back. You can go through the clouds, tho. Makes me wonder what will happen with this stage.

Edit: I personally believe that a competition isn't fair unless there's an element of chance, to a certain extent. A lot of the Brawl stages have pretty chancey parts to them, so it makes me wonder what will happen in the tourneys.

Edit 2: Sorry, but I'm excited that I'm no longer a Smash noob for my title! Although child isn't much better...

Cless

Smash Champion
Pit's stage is going to take some getting used to. The platforms that sit on top of the clouds are breakable, so you can really mess with someone that way, and when you're recovering (I saw this particularly with Snake) you can't go through the platforms and have to make sure you're on the edge to come back. You can go through the clouds, tho. Makes me wonder what will happen with this stage.

Edit: I personally believe that a competition isn't fair unless there's an element of chance, to a certain extent. A lot of the Brawl stages have pretty chancey parts to them, so it makes me wonder what will happen in the tourneys.

Edit 2: Sorry, but I'm excited that I'm no longer a Smash noob for my title! Although child isn't much better...
You can also spike people through the clouds.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I dunno about the shine infinite but its definitely possible to get out of the rapid a infinite. And so what if fox can trap you against the wall forever? He could do that in Melee, too, and no stages were banned. In fact, it looks like its even harder to set up in brawl. Seriously, the wall infinites are much harder to do than Wobbling was, and wobbling wasn't banned. Walls with stages should still be perfectly fine.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
correct me if I'm wrong, but...

all you have to do is hold down and keep pressing B >_>

You had to earn that **** in Melee lol

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I'm not sure why I was quoted, I was talking about the shine infinite, which...that is not a video of ;)

EDIT: **** that should be B, lol. You failed at correcting, all you had to do was say that you press B. Then I would've been looking dumb :laugh:

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
all you have to do is hold down and keep pressing B >_>

You had to earn that **** in Melee lol
Well, it was still relatively easy in Melee, and remember that you could set up for it really ****ing easily.

At low %'s Fox can start waveshining you after a shffl'd nair that connects without you being able to get out.

So if you get shined, get hit by a shffl'd nair, dair, weak bair or anything else that combos into shine, you get waveshined against a wall. Even considering this, wall stages weren't banned, or at least not for that reason.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
On another note, look at this video, specifically the end. This definitely warrants a non-neutral status on Frigate Orpheon, if nothing more.

Top Bottom