• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Monday Update: Excitement A(earth)bound!

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
oh well:ohwell:
ness was a good charecter.....
and i will always think a bout him....NOT:chuckle:
any ways he is like ness .... but his style is better then ness

Florida

イーグランツ
You guys should really just start listing these threads as exactly what they are. I'm a fan of puns and all, but some of these are downright painful.

Last night was like a roller coaster to me. I was initially excited when I saw red on the japanese site, and shortly after I returned there as I grew impatient waiting for the US site to update. I was originally displeased by the sight of Lucas, until I looked over his screenshots. I just can't make out any of Ness' attacks in any of those four screenshots.

The first screenshot shared similarity with Ness' "dair", but after further observation it seems more like he's jumping, and there's also a PK-Freeze-like effect present partially hidden by MetaKnight. The third screenshot obviously shares similarity to Ness' PSI Magnet, although Lucas appears to be wielding it drastically differently.

Now, evolved from what I originally thought last night, my present grasp on the matter: Lucas is not taking Ness' moveset, much like Ike did not take Marth or Roy's. So, Lucas is not replacing Ness. The question is, will Ness still return? That's far more unpredictable. It's entirely possible, as his moveset is still standing without a character to wield it.

Keep in mind I made these thoughts based solely off of the screenshots, and before I ever saw Sakurai's words on the US site.
Lucas being the character that we've received was rather exciting, it satisfied me more than a veteran character such as Captain Falcon would've. Sure we knew that Lucas was a shoe-in, but just seeing the "Warning Challenger Approaching" sign was enough to get anyone's blood pumping!

From what I can tell, the first screen looks something similar to Ness' nair in Melee. Either that, or it's his dair. It's hard to tell, really, that screen fits both moves evenly! The third screen shot seems more like his fair than any other move. If not that, then there's a possibility that Lucas could be performing his Smash B in that screen.

Information wise, this update lacked. Again Sakurai left his words vulnerable to any speculation. I personally think that Sakurai was intending that Ness will return, and Lucas shall be somewhat like his "rival" in who's the better fighter. But who knows?-- we were given so little on that matter.

But in general, this was an awesome update ;)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Lucas being the character that we've received was rather exciting, it satisfied me more than a veteran character such as Captain Falcon would. Sure we knew that Lucas was a shoe-in, but just seeing the "Warning Challenger Approaching" sign was enough to get anyone's blood pumping!

From what I can tell, the first screen looks something similar to Ness' nair in Melee. Either that, or it's his dair. It's hard to tell, really, that screen shot fits both moves evenly! The third screen shot seems more like his fair than any other move. If not that, then there's a possibility that Lucas could be performing his Smash B in that screen.

Information wise, this update lacked. Again Sakurai leaves his words vulnerable to any speculation. I personally think that Sakurai was intending that Ness will return, and Lucas shall be somewhat like his "rival" in who's the better fighter. But who knows?-- we were given so little on that matter.

But in general, this was an awesome update ;)
to me it actually look like a more powerful version of Ness's Sair attack "Ness Spin"

po pimpus

Smash Ace
RAMPANT SPECULATION
Seriously, Dojo updates with a new, never-before-seen-in-Smash character, and all the majority of you do is whine, *****, and moan about it... Just like every other single update thus far.

You people will never be satisfied...

"Oh noes! Sakurai gave us a stupid 'How To Play Update'! Who cares that there are people out there who have no idea what Smash is like!"

"What?!? New Items! New Stages! I only play No Items-Final Destination-1v1 matches, who cares about all that stuff?" (Oh, and don't come at me with that casual vs. competitive crap, I've probably gone to more tourneys and played better people than you EVER will)

"Music Updates! LOL! I always have my Ipod on. Why don't they give me an option to use my custom cd of Final Fantasy songs?!?"

"I don't care if I don't even know ten percent of what's in the game, I'm an expert on what's in a game I've never even played!"

"BlahblahblahHATEblahblah*****blahblahWHINE...etc..."

I realize that this is a public forum, but some of you people have the most assinine ideals and thought processes... It just leaves me totally dumbfounded that there are people in this world THIS ignorant and stupid, yet are still able to type stuff on the internet.

No wonder Bush got elected twice...

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Seriously, Dojo updates with a new, never-before-seen-in-Smash character, and all the majority of you do is whine, *****, and moan about it... Just like every other single update thus far.

You people will never be satisfied...

"Oh noes! Sakurai gave us a stupid 'How To Play Update'! Who cares that there are people out there who have no idea what Smash is like!"

"What?!? New Items! New Stages! I only play No Items-Final Destination-1v1 matches, who cares about all that stuff?" (Oh, and don't come at me with that casual vs. competitive crap, I've probably gone to more tourneys and played better people than you EVER will)

"Music Updates! LOL! I always have my Ipod on. Why don't they give me an option to use my custom cd of Final Fantasy songs?!?"

"I don't care if I don't even know ten percent of what's in the game, I'm an expert on what's in a game I've never even played!"

"BlahblahblahHATEblahblah*****blahblahWHINE...etc..."

I realize that this is a public forum, but some of you people have the most assinine ideals and thought processes... It just leaves me totally dumbfounded that there are people in this world THIS ignorant and stupid, yet are still able to type stuff on the internet.

No wonder Bush got elected twice...
actually ur complaining too...

ur complaining about all the ppl that do complain XDDDDDDDDD

no i think we won't have another charecter this week
hey, if we got Two Final smashes in one week...what makes u think we wont two character updates this week? it still possible (^^)v

Shiny Ivysaur

Smash Journeyman
I take it u dont like the game very much XDDDDDD
Of course he doesn't. The only game Tnga will ever like is Melee. All other games suck because Melee is perfect and they shouldn't change anything with brawl, even thought hat would kind of defeat the purpose of a sequel. The man makes sense!

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Of course he doesn't. The only game Tnga will ever like is Melee. All other games suck because Melee is perfect and they shouldn't change anything with brawl, even thought hat would kind of defeat the purpose of a sequel. The man makes sense!
u do kno its those "sucky" games that inspired Sakurai to create SSB right?

wait u meant all the Nintendo games right? or the one besides nintendo???

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
actually ur complaining too...
ur complaining about all the ppl that do complain XDDDDDDDDD
Not only is he complaining, he is claiming that everyone/ most of the forum thinks this way, and it annoys me -.-;;. I like Lucas, he has wicked hair, I like his strips, and his shorts, but is it so wrong to want Ness back? Arg. Its going to be difficult calling him "Lucas" since "Ness" had that... zing XD.

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Cool, I don't know too much about Lucas, but I'm glad he's in.

The big question now is: will Ness make a return appearance? He's a two game vet, but there was that replacement rumor.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
while I am, for the most part indifferent about earthbound having never played it (c'mon VC release for realz, or better yet a 3 in 1 DS release containing earthbound, mother and mother 3)

However, I think Ness and Lucas should be in. Like I said i've never played it but I think earthbound seems to be plenty deserving of two slots. It's a fan favorite both here and in Japan (from what i'm told)

That said, while Lucas doesn't excite me much i'll more than welcome his spot and he should be a fun character. If Ness has to be removed so be it, not gonna cry about it or care that much, but I'd like to see both.

Gerakobittsu

Smash Cadet
I have a feeling about this... last time we got two Final Smashes and no characters in one week, we got PT and Peach the next (newcomer and veteran). Now, I'm not saying that it's bound to happen again, but for some reason I am expecting to see a veteran this week...maybe Captain Falcon?

Although you can never predict Sakurai...

~Gera~

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I'm hoping/betting that Ness will be a starter and Lucas will be unlockable. There's just no point in replacing Ness, and I still hold to the theory that "Warning! Challenger Approaching!" marks an unlockable character. The Mother series needs to have a starter, since it did in Melee.
I love the way you think. <3<3<3

Let's see the updates for the rest of the week, seriously.

Sakurai will probably show us more about him.
I'm expecting a Special Moves update for him next week, just like Ike had, to shed some light on him. Remember, I bet 100% of SmashBoards assumed Ike was taking Marth and Roy's moveset until that update hit... Anything is possible.

but it seems kind of Early to start showing characters that need to be unlocked do u think???
Not really. Sakurai did acknowledge the fact that the internet would spoil any secret characters upon release anyway, and that he wanted to show them all himself for sure. I always took this to mean that this would be before release, though we're clearly running out of time now. Still, he's probably trying to keep it mixed up.

and speaking of Ike, I think sora ltd is going for more of a worldwide friendly approach, rather than just sticking with japanese characters this time... so why does Ness get the boot/ become the costume of a newcomer?
Exactly. They brought in Ike to represent the overseas Fire Emblem that more people would recognize. So why would they replace Ness, someone who's recognized probably more for Smash Bros than Earthbound at this point, just to bring in a japan-only character? 2 + 2 = 5.

I will admit, as much as I hate Roy and what he stands for, that he did exactly what he was put into Melee to do, and I hope that Lucas can accomplish the same, even if the GBA is kind of dead these days.

I think ness is coming back this friday...jojojo
That'd be a great veteran to see on friday... but I won't keep my hopes up. Kind of hope he touches on another franchise first. Like CAPTAIN FALCON already.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
That's the most hilarious thing I've ever read, ever. You should write for Family Guy.
Sweet. The new episodes have been crap anyway they could use a new writer :p

I take it u dont like the game very much XDDDDDD
Never played it, but I don't like ness at all. But inversly he's one of my favorite characters because I consider falcon using down air on ness one of the most brutal and awesome things in the world.

A fully grown man, captain falcon no less, stepping on children. This is why there should be severed heads instead of stickers to collect.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
IMO they shouldn't get rid of any character from the first smash. A LOT of casual people didn't get into melee and only played the first game. Ness, C.falc, Jigglypuff should stay in Brawl.
Agreed. The originals have earned their spot in brawl since they were in the first 2 games. We can afford to lose some of melees roster, characters like Roy, Doc, Pichu, Mewtwo.

theres no chance of them not having captain falcon in brawl, he's literally the most loved and popular character in melee, and for good reason.

half a galaxy...

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Half a galxy indeed. Captain Falcon is sure to be conphermed this week. Or else I will go on a killing spree.

And I don't think that Lucas is Ness' replacement. That big headed kid will be back, I guarantee it.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Yep, many people are waiting for falcon to return, and I see no reason why he shouldn't. Two game veteran, loved by many, wasn't a bad character to play as.

I never got on the whole falcon train, was more into Ness and Marth, but he's still a cool character. I also wonder that when falcon comes back (I say when because he's basically a shoe-in) will he have a partner from f-zero as a playable character?

Drake3

Smash Ace
Sweet a newcomer! I got all tingly when I saw the "Warning!" banner. Also while Lucas does look impressive, I sincerely doubt it means Ness is leaving.

Also, I like his shorts.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Agreed. The originals have earned their spot in brawl since they were in the first 2 games. We can afford to lose some of melees roster, characters like Roy, Doc, Pichu, Mewtwo.

theres no chance of them not having captain falcon in brawl, he's literally the most loved and popular character in melee, and for good reason.

half a galaxy...
WHAT!?!?!?!? Where the hell did u get that from?!?! ok I have nothing agaisnt CF....but the most loved and popular character in melee....now yur being Silly

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Falcon needs a partner. But I really don't know anyone who is cool enough to represent *makes hand sign* the F-Zero franchise.

WHO DOESN'T LUV THE FALCON?!?!?!!?!?!? *random idiot raises hand*

Tray Eight slug in your cranium, *****! *shoots idiot in head*

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Falcon does. it seemed Goroh was a likely choice, but he's an assist trophy. There's a few others to choose from, though, so I'm sure they could muster somebody up.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
WHAT!?!?!?!? Where the hell did u get that from?!?! ok I have nothing agaisnt CF....but the most loved and popular character in melee....now yur being Silly
Don't invoke the wrath of G-regulate please. He'll down air your house.

Half a galxy indeed.
I knew ''half a galaxy'' would summon the mighty buttscratcha?! wielding yeahdude.

Falcon needs a partner. But I really don't know anyone who is cool enough to represent *makes hand sign* the F-Zero franchise.
Only one person could be almost as manly as falcon. Or maybe even equal..... minus one.

I speak of course, of Gregory Peck

G-regorgy peck to you

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
Lucas looks awesome and im pretty sure ness will be back(seriously theres no reason to take him out) BUT with sakurai saying "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!" it leaves itt prettty open, i see it this way, if he's gonna be competion for ness than ness had gotta be in othewise how would he compete against ness it only makes sense for ness to be in bral along with lucas

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
^^

Exactly what I was thinkin. *gives cookie to avatar*

anyway im done with my humerous captain falcon worship spam, im exhausted from work. nap time for me.

SSoH

Smash Journeyman
Lucas looks awesome and im pretty sure ness will be back(seriously theres no reason to take him out) BUT with sakurai saying "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!" it leaves itt prettty open, i see it this way, if he's gonna be competion for ness than ness had gotta be in othewise how would he compete against ness it only makes sense for ness to be in bral along with lucas
He does have a way of leaving things wide open for interpretation. I don't think we'll know anything new tomorrow other than a lucas moves update, a stage, or some item or something. Of course, I could be wrong

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
^^

Exactly what I was thinkin. *gives cookie to avatar*

anyway im done with my humerous captain falcon worship spam, im exhausted from work. nap time for me.
Aww, come on!!! I was only getting started...
Oh well. I'll let this one slip...

And Sakurai's comment on Ness can be taken both ways, but I still think that Ness is in.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
Don't invoke the wrath of G-regulate please. He'll down air your house.

I knew ''half a galaxy'' would summon the mighty buttscratcha?! wielding yeahdude.

Only one person could be almost as manly as falcon. Or maybe even equal..... minus one.

I speak of course, of Gregory Peck

G-regorgy peck to you
That still doesnt mean he's the most popualr chracter...

Top Bottom