• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mod Scene Future will Segregate the Games

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I think that what you mean to say is "This game is just a bit faster than Brawl, but slower than Melee."
There's a huge difference between the two.
You know that is what I have been saying. and the ("This game is just a bit faster than Brawl, but slower than Melee.") part is exactly what I said, but melee first and brawl second.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Why do people think that anyone who doesn't like this game is a strict Melee fan?
I love Brawl, too, and I recognize where both of those games fall short, but the problem I have with Smash 4 is waiting so long to get back into the fray due to the increased knockback.
It feels like they tried to make the game "larger than life" but forgot that a lot of space is still empty space.
Combined with the (selectively) more precise hitboxes, I just don't find it to be all that enjoyable.

I'd be more okay with the mechanics if they weren't so scared to hand out buffs to characters and put hitboxes where there should be hitboxes.

Well, as of right now, most of the Brawl players seem to be just fine with Smash 4. If I may ask, why don't you like precise hotboxes? For me, it helps me to understand where my I need to be to not get hit. In Brawl, I found myself getting hit because I thought the move wouldn't hit me due to distance between myself and my opponent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like most of these ideas, although I'm not sure about the Captain Falcon thing. I'm not even a Captain Falcon player, but his gimmick across four games has been a fast on his feet heavyweight that has a great combo game, and flashy moves that have tons of KO power. Unless I'm wrong, that speed and power comes at the expense of him being easy combo bait himself, an okay recovery that can be gimped, and the fact that most of his KO moves leave him wide open to counterattacks.

I think making him a Fast but weak character kinda wrecks that, esepcially since we have enough "fast on their feet but weak" characters in the roster. How does it even balance him? He's a good character in 64, Melee, and Smash 4, but he's not the best character in those games, and in Brawl, he was a garbage tier character despite his speed and strength.

What about Little Mac? He is technically a fast and strong character on the ground, with his gimmick being his ground game(which is one of the best in Smash 4) comes at the expense of his terrible air game.

What about other heavyweights like Bowser and Donkey Kong that are pretty fast for their weight class. Do they get slowed down in the name of balance?

I'm not saying your idea of balance is a bad idea. I'm just not sure fitting everybody into one size fits all categories is the best way to go about it.
1. It doesn't matter, it's still overpowered, and, although people are saying that there's more than those "basic archetypes", if you can't even be balanced in the basic scheme of things, then what makes you think that said character will be balanced in the grand scheme of things?

It doesn't matter that there are already fast but weak characters in the game, the characters will still have their own unique moves, their own unique combos, and their own unique weaknesses. While I understand that you people value the uniqueness of a character, there comes a certain point where you have to sacrifice that in order to make the game enjoyable/balanced.

2. Characters of Little Mac's caliber are the sole exceptions, those are the characters that I call "gimmicky characters". And what I mean by that is, I don't mind a character being fast and strong if they are only this way on the Ground or Air, while they're slow and weak on the Air or Ground (whichever one isn't the character's strong point). This is more acceptable because the character isn't necessarily a Fast/Strong character, nor a Slow/Weak character, there's a balance, thus essentially making them an All Around character, which is more balanced than a Legendary Character (which is a Fast/Strong character).

3. Yes, characters of Bowser and DK's caliber should get slowed down, including Ganondorf, as it's not fair that you can attack as fast as Kirby or Pikachu, yet hit as hard as a Strong character. Once you reach that point, it honestly doesn't matter that you have a big hurtbox anymore, as that same weakness is your strength in the sense that you get more range. At this point, you are playing a Legendary Super Character (which is a Fast/Strong/Big character).

4. And for your closing comment, just to let you know, just in case, fitting characters into these categories won't take away their uniqueness entirely, as they can still have low damage, high knockback attacks, or situational strong attacks (like Knee Smash), it's just that overall, it will be fair, as you no longer have to worry about Fighting Captain Falcon as Bowser and thinking "Crap, he's faster and stronger than me" anymore.

I'll even go as far as to say that I know what Nintendo was trying to do: They were trying to make it seem like the character you are playing as literally got ported from their game into Smash.
However, notice the "into Smash" part. Regardless of what Sakurai intended, once a fighter enters this game, they are a Smash Bros. character, and that should take priority over what they were before.

You know that is what I have been saying. and the ("This game is just a bit faster than Brawl, but slower than Melee.") part is exactly what I said, but melee first and brawl second.
There is a difference. Because if the game was "just a bit slower than Melee", then it would be much faster than it is now (judging by the actual definition of the word "bit"), however, by saying that it's "just a bit faster than Brawl", we are back to where we are now, with the Smash 4 we all know oh-so very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
There is a difference. Because if the game was "just a bit slower than Melee", then it would be much faster than it is now (judging by the actual definition of the word "bit"), however, by saying that it's "just a bit faster than Brawl", we are back to where we are now, with the Smash 4 we all know oh-so very well.
Very well, well smash is what it is and it cannot be changed for a few years until we get what we actually want. Smash 3ds is good and will always be good. however, again, it is not the BEST. I consider melee and the N64 better than the 3ds and nothing will make that change. if you hate it, then that's fine for a competitive player, but if you like it, that's fine too for an all around player. again, It does not matter either way, i can stop you, and you can't stop me. it is what it is, people have their opinions, but they don't go overboard with opinions similar to your's earlier. (Iv'e seen it all over youtube and websites) Trust me, it's a stupid war and people should not continue fighting over that.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I didn't pay $100 just to not have both version hacked. The games aren't amazing quote-"the way it is"; I see all of the reasons why they need to be hacked.

Smash 4 Failed (once again) to be a good sequel to Melee. And even going beyond Melee, it still, once more, failed to even be a good individual game, yet alone a good game as part of the Smash Bros. Franchise.

In all honesty, I personally like Brawl better than this game, because at least you could fix Nintendo's mess in that iteration.

Sometimes, You just have to admit that the developers aren't always right. Smash 4's fate depends on when we can hack it, and to what extent we can hack it to.
I smell some salt, lol.

Smash 4 comes far from failing as a GAME. The game was not made to be competitive, its mostly casual with more competitive aspects thrown in compared to brawl. You lose all your credibility when you make a mistake like this, and you need to realize that just because it is a fighting game does not mean it is going to be super competitive, Melee has just spoiled you so that you dont WANT to accept how smash 4 is

As a competitive game, it does not FAIL, it's just not as GOOD as melee, just watch the stuff rush hour smash posts and honestly try to say that again.

PCHU

Smash Lord
My issue with the hitboxes is that the devs were very selective with who got "aura" hitboxes and who was just stuck with whatever the minimum the devs felt they could get away with, sometimes less.
I've missed in Smash 4 more than in any other Smash game, and I know for sure it ain't my spacing that's jacked up, it's them outright not putting hitboxes where the move is going on.
And I'm not talking about near misses, I mean I just go completely through someone while the other person's aerial magically acts as a sex kick; it gets a little ridiculous at times.

I mean, I've learned the specifics of what I just cannot do, but it really sucks to boast better animations and have them be almost entirely useless in battle.
I also don't necessarily agree to some of the moveset changes (Wario mainly), but I won't go into detail about that.
Brawl's hitboxes were all over the place and Melee wasn't that much better, of course, but I don't feel like 4 got it right, either.
Doesn't break the game (especially if your main is top 10 or thereabouts), but it's a turn-off to me when I already don't particularly enjoy the mechanics.

D

Deleted member

Mods need to be in almost every aspect if the game EXCEPT gameplay.
*Looks at signature*
... Wait.

Anyways. I think that the gameplay is the MAIN thing that needs to be changed. All of the other stuff (excluding wifi) is just excessive fluff.

My issue with the hitboxes is that the devs were very selective with who got "aura" hitboxes and who was just stuck with whatever the minimum the devs felt they could get away with, sometimes less.
I've missed in Smash 4 more than in any other Smash game, and I know for sure it ain't my spacing that's jacked up, it's them outright not putting hitboxes where the move is going on.
And I'm not talking about near misses, I mean I just go completely through someone while the other person's aerial magically acts as a sex kick; it gets a little ridiculous at times.

I mean, I've learned the specifics of what I just cannot do, but it really sucks to boast better animations and have them be almost entirely useless in battle.
I also don't necessarily agree to some of the moveset changes (Wario mainly), but I won't go into detail about that.
Brawl's hitboxes were all over the place and Melee wasn't that much better, of course, but I don't feel like 4 got it right, either.
Doesn't break the game (especially if your main is top 10 or thereabouts), but it's a turn-off to me when I already don't particularly enjoy the mechanics.
The only hitbox that ever really pissed me off was Mewtwo's Forward Aerial. I mean, seriously. You get about 3 frames to hit somebody with it... Useless.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
How did I go "overboard"? Just curious.
your opinion: "The games aren't amazing quote-"the way it is"; I see all of the reasons why they need to be hacked. Smash 4 Failed (once again) to be a good sequel to Melee. And even going beyond Melee, it still, once more, failed to even be a good individual game, yet alone a good game as part of the Smash Bros. Franchise. In all honesty, I personally like Brawl better than this game, because at least you could fix Nintendo's mess in that iteration. Sometimes, You just have to admit that the developers aren't always right. Smash 4's fate depends on when we can hack it, and to what extent we can hack it to."

now what I mean by overboard is these parts:The games aren't amazing quote-"the way it is", Smash 4 Failed (once again) to be a good sequel to Melee, Sometimes, You just have to admit that the developers aren't always right, Smash 4's fate depends on when we can hack it, and to what extent we can hack it to.

Now those parts are true TO YOU. I mean, look at the fact that the games are still selling. If smash 4 really failed, there should not have been sales over 10 million copies (combining 3ds and wii u). and people say the game is amazing, because It (mostly to me) is a better brawl with Melee mechanics. the graphics on the wii u are very good, but not on the 3ds since it can't handle very good graphics... and your right on "The games aren't amazing quote-'the way it is'" every game has a flaw. Melee didn't have many single player options, all they had were classic, adventure, all star, events, training, home run contest, multi men melee, and alone melee. The game was designed to be a multiplayer game like the N64. It is, but what I am saying is that it is for multiple people to enjoy at once. Fast forward to brawl, there were lots of flaws... like the game being so slow, it is hard for new players to play without a gamecube or classic controller (if they didn't have one), brawl had stickers, that does nothing but power up characters in subspace. Sure it was in interesting mechanic to try something other than trophies, but it didn't work out well. there's the records thing that lets you see most of the games released from G&W-Wii. That was a bad idea, but like the stickers, it didn't work out so well. I have no problem with trophies, but getting some of them are ridiculous. I mean, who wants to clear classic mode on the hardest difficulty just for a trophy? Nobody but people who are really trying for a 100%. now keep going to wii u and 3ds. I own a 3ds, so i won't put the wii u's stuff since I don't know what is in there. but the 3ds' flaws are (according to others) street smash, (my mix now) Targest blast, smash run, and trophy rush. Like brawl, Mechanics in the game they tried, but didn't work out so well. Now on what you said for "You just have to admit that the developers aren't always right" your right there, but if you never seen the news or game theory, Sakurai wanted to make a single game that is good for everyone, but people want more and more from him and nintendo. They want new mechanics, more characters, more stages, new modes, etc. But nintendo is running out of ideas for people's demands. I mean, don't blame them for always not right, but give them a break for their hard work towards people's demands... also, this is the final smash game according to Sakurai, but we don't know what the future holds. now to "Smash 4's fate depends on when we can hack it, and to what extent we can hack it to." Every smash game doesn't need hacks, melee and n64 are perfect, brawl is not perfect, but there's project M, but smash wii u and 3ds is good too. Sure some hacks are good for game mechanics, stages, music, etc. but It's an option. Hacking according to nintendo is bad for service, but what their missing is that PEOPLE ARE USING THEIR PRODUCT TO ENJOY IT MORE THAN WHAT IT ORIGINALLY IS. but Hacking smash 4 is not it's fate, the people's choice and opinions are it's fate.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
1. It doesn't matter, it's still overpowered, and, although people are saying that there's more than those "basic archetypes", if you can't even be balanced in the basic scheme of things, then what makes you think that said character will be balanced in the grand scheme of things?

It doesn't matter that there are already fast but weak characters in the game, the characters will still have their own unique moves, their own unique combos, and their own unique weaknesses. While I understand that you people value the uniqueness of a character, there comes a certain point where you have to sacrifice that in order to make the game enjoyable/balanced.

2. Characters of Little Mac's caliber are the sole exceptions, those are the characters that I call "gimmicky characters". And what I mean by that is, I don't mind a character being fast and strong if they are only this way on the Ground or Air, while they're slow and weak on the Air or Ground (whichever one isn't the character's strong point). This is more acceptable because the character isn't necessarily a Fast/Strong character, nor a Slow/Weak character, there's a balance, thus essentially making them an All Around character, which is more balanced than a Legendary Character (which is a Fast/Strong character).

3. Yes, characters of Bowser and DK's caliber should get slowed down, including Ganondorf, as it's not fair that you can attack as fast as Kirby or Pikachu, yet hit as hard as a Strong character. Once you reach that point, it honestly doesn't matter that you have a big hurtbox anymore, as that same weakness is your strength in the sense that you get more range. At this point, you are playing a Legendary Super Character (which is a Fast/Strong/Big character).

4. And for your closing comment, just to let you know, just in case, fitting characters into these categories won't take away their uniqueness entirely, as they can still have low damage, high knockback attacks, or situational strong attacks (like Knee Smash), it's just that overall, it will be fair, as you no longer have to worry about Fighting Captain Falcon as Bowser and thinking "Crap, he's faster and stronger than me" anymore.

I'll even go as far as to say that I know what Nintendo was trying to do: They were trying to make it seem like the character you are playing as literally got ported from their game into Smash.
However, notice the "into Smash" part. Regardless of what Sakurai intended, once a fighter enters this game, they are a Smash Bros. character, and that should take priority over what they were before.

Why would you slow down Bowser and Ganon? The reason they were garbage in Brawl was because they were too slow. And it's not like they are top tier now. The thing with Bowser and DK is that they get rewarded from spacing. Yes, they are fast and strong, but they are huge targets and have laggy moves, so 1 mistake an they get comboed to hell and gimped in most situations. The same goes for Captain Falcon, he is tall, easily comboed and easy to gimp. And if Captain Falcon was slower, it wouldn't mean a difference to Bowser since he is still a big target and combo breakfast to Captain Falcon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why would you slow down Bowser and Ganon? The reason they were garbage in Brawl was because they were too slow. And it's not like they are top tier now. The thing with Bowser and DK is that they get rewarded from spacing. Yes, they are fast and strong, but they are huge targets and have laggy moves, so 1 mistake an they get comboed to hell and gimped in most situations. The same goes for Captain Falcon, he is tall, easily comboed and easy to gimp. And if Captain Falcon was slower, it wouldn't mean a difference to Bowser since he is still a big target and combo breakfast to Captain Falcon.
The reason they were garbage in Brawl was because they had F'd up hitboxes. I just tried using Bowser's Up-Smash right next to Peach Brawl... Didn't hit at all. But that has nothing to do with speed.

Bowser and DK being fast/strong is unnecessary though, as while being a big target means you get hit easier, it also means that you land hits easier. Therefor, having a Speed buff essentially just makes him Mario 2.0, not only that, but Nintendo/Sakurai could have taken the unique approach by making Bowser a strong character, who had the highest weight in the game + Heavy armor (which is like Super Armor, but the user can flinch if a move does a certain %) on some of his attacks at the cost of being Big/Slow--as opposed to making him Overpowered via making him fast and powerful.
In all actuality, I wouldn't mind Bowser/DK getting speed buffs, if everybody else got a bigger one. That way, you are speeding up the game, while keeping those two seated as Slow/Strong characters, like how I did.

Also, for the Captain Falcon part, slowing him down would be a horrible idea, that would ruin his gimmick. I am not saying to slow him down, I am saying to make him weaker. What nerf they get should be dependent on the character.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
The reason they were garbage in Brawl was because they had F'd up hitboxes. I just tried using Bowser's Up-Smash right next to Peach Brawl... Didn't hit at all. But that has nothing to do with speed.

Bowser and DK being fast/strong is unnecessary though, as while being a big target means you get hit easier, it also means that you land hits easier. Therefor, having a Speed buff essentially just makes him Mario 2.0, not only that, but Nintendo/Sakurai could have taken the unique approach by making Bowser a strong character, who had the highest weight in the game + Heavy armor (which is like Super Armor, but the user can flinch if a move does a certain %) on some of his attacks at the cost of being Big/Slow--as opposed to making him Overpowered via making him fast and powerful.
In all actuality, I wouldn't mind Bowser/DK getting speed buffs, if everybody else got a bigger one. That way, you are speeding up the game, while keeping those two seated as Slow/Strong characters, like how I did.

Also, for the Captain Falcon part, slowing him down would be a horrible idea, that would ruin his gimmick. I am not saying to slow him down, I am saying to make him weaker. What nerf they get should be dependent on the character.
Not really, because Bowser's moves are really laggy and unsafe. If the attack misses, it's a guaranteed punish and in some cases 0-to-death. I would understand where are you coming from if Bowser's aerials and ground moves were as fast as Sheik's or Diddy's, but it's Bowser we are talking about. And weakening Falcon would actually benefit him. He would be like Sheik comboing like there is no tomorrow and being annoying. Speaking of bad hitboxes, Mewtwo's in Smash 4 are garbage. His Up Tilt, Uair, Bair and Fair never seem to hit.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Not really, because Bowser's moves are really laggy and unsafe. If the attack misses, it's a guaranteed punish and in some cases 0-to-death. I would understand where are you coming from if Bowser's aerials and ground moves were as fast as Sheik's or Diddy's, but it's Bowser we are talking about. And weakening Falcon would actually benefit him. He would be like Sheik comboing like there is no tomorrow and being annoying. Speaking of bad hitboxes, Mewtwo's in Smash 4 are garbage. His Up Tilt, Uair, Bair and Fair never seem to hit.
:4mewtwo: When the opponent is at high percents, D-Throw to F-Air will work

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
I think part of the hitbox issue in sm4sh is that they are almost all flashier with trails, so when it SEEMS like it hits from a trail, it actually hasnt.

I never seem to have this issue though, except in the 3DS version where everything DOES look off, maybe you guys should just get good at smash 4. :p

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I think part of the hitbox issue in sm4sh is that they are almost all flashier with trails, so when it SEEMS like it hits from a trail, it actually hasnt.

I never seem to have this issue though, except in the 3DS version where everything DOES look off, maybe you guys should just get good at smash 4. :p
Maybe, but with straight foward moves like Up Tilt, the move doesn't hit behind even though it looks like it.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord

Maybe you should learn what you're talking about
http://gfycat.com/FlakyWideAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle
Charizard's bair seems to do this, too, but I don't have the hard proof so feel free to disregard it.

The trail thing would make sense, but it's not like that for every character, and some of the characters with these "trails" have hitboxes toward the edge of them, like CF's jab.
I guess it just seems like they went out of their way to make some characters have these wide, sweeping attacks, and with others, it looks that way, but it actually isn't.

I'm good at the game, but I also understand what I'm complaining about.
It's not even anything major, it's just what they should've done while making the game; placing and aligning hitboxes is important.

D

Deleted member

Not quite, as the intention would be to only change his damage output, then, change the knockback to accommodate for the % nerf, so that his Base Knockback and Knockback Growth is the same as it was before.

He'd basically be the same, just weaker damage wise (so it takes longer to kill and for balancing)

Last edited by a moderator:

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
Maybe you should learn what you're talking about
http://gfycat.com/FlakyWideAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle
Charizard's bair seems to do this, too, but I don't have the hard proof so feel free to disregard it.

I'm good at the game, but I also understand what I'm complaining about.
It's not even anything major, it's just what they should've done while making the game; placing and aligning hitboxes is important.
Even in that example, Robin doesnt swing down to the side, he swings out in front of him, which makes complete sense on why thats not hitting. Yeah its a small hitbox but it fits the animation.

My second part of my post was a joke, i don't mean to call anyone bad :p. Though again, i barely play the 3DS version where i've found these issues, but not on wii u so it may just be that version.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I guess I don't see why people who don't play modded games are turned off by the idea of Smash 4 getting mods.
Back when I played Brawl, I enjoyed having alternates skins and textures because the base game had gotten a little monotonous outside of the actual gameplay, which I still enjoy and appreciate for its fluidity.
I didn't really get to experiment much with mods until the advent of PM which made it more accessible to me, but I've never really had a negative reaction to it.
It seems like people act as if all they'll face will be hackers and people cheating to win, but really, the chances of that happening are slim to none; in my experience, I've never faced anyone who used hacks, and the modding community has done nothing but make a game I enjoyed more interesting.
I see nothing wrong with this.

If only Mario Kart 8's physics system could be modded...it'd be nice to race with Wii bikes.
Well, in the KIU community somebody (who said he was a Brawl modder coincidentally) gave out what amounted to Wondertombs for no apparent reason, so yeah...

And Smash has the potential for hacking equipment and broken customs (Ness's 4th Uspecial, DLC characters in general) online too, so I'm not surprised people would be against it. Actually now that I think about it, Mr. Bean, the first person to mod MK8, received tons of flak for it since he created a bunch of cheats in MKW.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Well, in the KIU community somebody (who said he was a Brawl modder coincidentally) gave out what amounted to Wondertombs for no apparent reason, so yeah...

And Smash has the potential for hacking equipment and broken customs (Ness's 4th Uspecial, DLC characters in general) online too, so I'm not surprised people would be against it. Actually now that I think about it, Mr. Bean, the first person to mod MK8, received tons of flak for it since he created a bunch of cheats in MKW.
What Ness's 4th USpecial? What is broken? I don't know, so might as well explain me.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
What Ness's 4th USpecial? What is broken? I don't know, so might as well explain me.
Crashes the game for some bizarre reason. Most moves are "blank" alterations of the defaults, with no hitbox or other data besides the animation and lag, as are Ness's other 4th specials. Mario's kinda work and he has a ice ball shot with some other things, Palutena's are best described as an upskirt simulator, and Mewtwo's 2s & 3s are all over the place. His 4s probably corrupt your data or something.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Crashes the game for some bizarre reason. Most moves are "blank" alterations of the defaults, with no hitbox or other data besides the animation and lag, as are Ness's other 4th specials. Mario's kinda work and he has a ice ball shot with some other things, Palutena's are best described as an upskirt simulator, and Mewtwo's 2s & 3s are all over the place. His 4s probably corrupt your data or something.
Oh! Now I know what are you talking about.

Thor

Smash Champion
Even Brawl?
No it didn't need to be hacked. All the Smash games are great in their own right, but some coding errors in Brawl made gameplay unappealing to some.

We did get a sweet mod in PM from modding Brawl, but I'd hardly state it "needed" to be hacked. They all have deep metagames and several layers of strategy and tactics are involed, with skill being the ultimate determinant in each game.

However, I'm also not against people trying to enhance their own gameplay experience, even if I disagree with some of the claims they make.

Also, if you're making this, PLEASE make this change: Hitting A on a place on the character select screen NOT on the characters themselves places the character token chooser... thingy... on a random character. I really enjoy CSP but it's not really playable [or it takes a while to do] if you don't have this feature [which was in Melee]. Tbh it might actually be the #1 I'd add to Smash 4 as of now if I was to list a reasonable [i.e. possible and likely] change to Smash 4 from Sakurai.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Call me an idiot if I'm saying something entirely different on what the thread is about but I really don't see the whole point of most of this discussion. I can respect everyone's opinions and thoughts on the topic of modding Sm4sh but does it really matter by saying that Sm4sh in out of itself shouldn't be hacked? I mean, I have my own/bought copy of the game and I should have the right to do whatever I want with said copy. This includes modding like as what others have said or hacking the game by changing core mechanics for examples.

While I honestly feel that modding is a very cool concept and idea for Sm4sh, I don't think that based on what you feel about modding should change others people values or intentions. I think Sm4sh is a great game but I don't mind if someone were to change their copy of the game by modding in a few texture replacements or adding new custom stages. It is THERE game after all.

On a side note, we haven't really even gotten much in depth of hacking the games yet. From what I've seen is custom music being added in but that's pretty much it from what I've heard. We probably won't see modding get far in the near future but it's going to come in time.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Call me an idiot if I'm saying something entirely different on what the thread is about but I really don't see the whole point of most of this discussion. I can respect everyone's opinions and thoughts on the topic of modding Sm4sh but does it really matter by saying that Sm4sh in out of itself shouldn't be hacked? I mean, I have my own/bought copy of the game and I should have the right to do whatever I want with said copy. This includes modding like as what others have said or hacking the game by changing core mechanics for examples.
What you own is a "blank" cartridge and/or disk with a license that can be revoked whenever Nintendo feels like. Been like this since the NES days at least.

D

Deleted member 269706

Here's what I think: I think the Sm4sh games are awesome the way they are, I feel like there really isn't a NEED for them to be hacked like there was in Brawl. However, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be hacked. While the games are great the way they are, there is a lot that could be changed. Even if it's just generic stuff like music and textures. I mean how cool would it be seeing all the retextures in HD? And with more characters, that's more retextures for us to see. Or being able to put new music into the game...not that Sm4sh has a bad soundtrack, because it's an amazing soundtrack, but for a fighting game, some of the stuff feels a bit out of place.

Now, of course there's the question of actually changing certain mechanics of the game...Would we want it to be like Project M where almost everything is changed entirely, or would we want it to be like any other online patch where us, the community actually has a say in what is buffed and/or nerfed? At the end of the day, it's going to be a while before we make it to that point, but I believe that we will make it there eventually. When that day comes, each one of us will have the choice to mod the game or not, and I don't think that there's anything wrong with either choice.

Top Bottom