• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 MLG Orlando Video Thread (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
There's nothing wrong with how M2K won except for the fact that Brawls fanbase isn't going to get anywhere if that's how high level play is going to be. There's nothing exciting about watching gameplay like that. Anyone that *****es about the strategy he used are just talking like scrubs, but people are correct when they say MLG won't hold onto a game like this if that's how much action we're gonna see out of the best players. It's impossible to compare finals like that to finals in melee.

Sadly there's no solution. You could get into banning characters, but no one wants to do that. That's just how this game was made. I doubt it'll last anywhere near as long as Melee. If you wanna keep getting those $2500 checks, better find a way to up the ante.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
I actually found that match entertaining. If you're not watching the match like a noob just seeing hits and kills exchanged quickly and going whoaaaa, but instead observe the clever and innovative stratagies and mindgames they're using then it becomes interestng.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I often lose to Ally in close games when I am aggressive (my preferred style). I am always playing like this now because it works. So sorry you don't find it entertaining
Keep playing like this, I find it a lot more entertaining lol

Campy brawl is fun brawl

shadyf0o

Smash Journeyman
I didn't win 2500 I'm getting taxed like 700 of it or something.
.....wow. That's dumb. They should advertise first place being 1800 then, not 2500. I'd be mad lol.

I mean that's always how it works with prize money like that, MLG or otherwise, but still....*sigh* lol.

Ryucloud

Smash Journeyman
A Place Where *****s Are Real=Rhode Island BABY!!!
It's sad that thats what brawl has come too. M2k is good im not denouncing that, but he isn't better than ally, he just had a better character and spamed probably the most broken move in the game. If M2k played another character he would lose against ally, no doubt about that. He would still do decent with other characters but without metaknight sorry all those major tournament wins would be out the window. I'm happy that a lot of metaknight players arn't willing to play that anal=>dair,dair,dair,nado,dair,nado,dair,dair, down smash. But common just ban metaknight already, its hurting a good game. I'm sorry you had to go through that ally, when the deserving player doesn't win it leaves a bad taste.
Banning metaknight in brawl is like trying to ban jigglypuff in melee lol

DJRome

Smash Hero
.....wow. That's dumb. They should advertise first place being 1800 then, not 2500. I'd be mad lol.

I mean that's always how it works with prize money like that, MLG or otherwise, but still....*sigh* lol.
i mean mlg is still paying 2500. it's just that the winner doesn't get all of it. uncle sam gets some but mlg still pays out that full 2500

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Well from the $3,700 I've won from MLG I only got taxed approx. $22-23 lol, so I think you'll be fine. Unless you're state taxes differently than mine, you should only lose approx. $15-16.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Have you kids never done taxes properly? There's no way your income is high enough that you should be paying any income tax after deductions. For that matter, why are you even reporting that prize money in the first place?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
WAit..... guys is there a way so that I don't have to report it?

I sent my money to my mother at home in NJ but under my name

is that bad? What do you suggest I do. I don't want to pay a lot of money in taxes. This is a serious question please respond seriously thanks.

all of my income is made off of smash btw.

also i think we have to report the prize money by law? don't we?

idk someone please tell me more info on this.

Should I send everything else I make to Ohio?

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
The only honorable way to fight Snake is to recklessly attack him with aerials why he is standing there holding grenades. Any other strategy is teh gay.

Does anyone find it odd that people say its gay for Meta Knight to camp and use tornado but it is somehow honorable and skillful for Snake to stand there all day holding/throwing grenades while never approaching and laughing as the opponent gets hit with nades while trying to attack him? I'm not saying either Ally or M2K's styles are nearly that simple or that anyone who plays that way doesn't possess skill, but I just don't understand how people see M2K play the way he did and respond with "OMG SUPER gay tornado camp so scrubby he is obviously worse than Ally" but when they see Ally or other top Snakes play they don't respond with "oMG super gayz just standing there holding nades then SUPER up tilt at 110%" even though that is about as accurate a description of Snake as the ones they give for Meta Knight. If anything you would think people should think Snake's metagame is a lot "gayer" than MK's because his best strategy is to pretty much always camp. Someone needs to explain to me how this perception of the game happens. How do people not understand that they are both trying to camp and "gay" each other?

Flayl

Smash Hero
Really anybody that plays Brawl competitively and STILL hasn't figured out the metagame revolves around defensive play should heel-kick themselves in the nuts.

affinityy

Smash Rookie
Why is it that for almost every way someone plays MK, someone has something to say about it being gay or scrubby?

If someone wins, it is because they are the better player, not because they are nooby and spam the same thing. If what everyone is saying about MK is true, then there wouldn't be any other characters at the top placings.

In the MLG finals, M2K outplayed Ally, no excuses. The person who was better on that given day won.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
WAit..... guys is there a way so that I don't have to report it?

I sent my money to my mother at home in NJ but under my name

is that bad? What do you suggest I do. I don't want to pay a lot of money in taxes. This is a serious question please respond seriously thanks.

all of my income is made off of smash btw.

also i think we have to report the prize money by law? don't we?

idk someone please tell me more info on this.

Should I send everything else I make to Ohio?
Legally, all income is to be reported, although many people don't report certain types of income that cannot be proven, such as tips. What you need to be more concerned about is that if your income is under a certain amount (roughly $20k), your paid taxes will likely be refunded. Just do a little research, or use something like Turbo Tax next year. It walks you through the whole ordeal, and is very good at helping you identify exemptions.

As a rule of thumb, keep about a third of your untaxed income aside in case you ever did owe taxes, but in all likelyhood, you're a kid making a couple thousand dollars - you aren't going to be paying federal income tax at the end of the year.

State and local taxes are handled separately. You may have to pay a few hundred, or maybe not. Depends on where you live. I'm not 100% sure, but I think tournament winnings would be considered earnings for your state of residence if you decide to report them.

And seriously. Man up and get out of this MK crap. Watching your matches makes my skin crawl. Can't you rank with a character that isn't completely broken?

Jane

Smash Hero
im pretty sure he could care less about how broken his character is. in fact he more than likely embraces this as a nice plus to his path to take everyones money.

keep doing ya thang m2k

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Just want to say this - the match vs ally on brinstar looked nothing like any of my matches vs anybody else, let alone most of my matches with ally on other stages. You are trying to base my style off of 1 match on a broken stage, which is very wrong. If you are seriously trying to judge how I play or my skill level based on that, then you're stupid.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
And seriously. Man up and get out of this MK crap. Watching your matches makes my skin crawl. Can't you rank with a character that isn't completely broken?
If anything complain to the ICs players about broken aspects of gameplay. MK is fine.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Hey, I'm fair. I think all MK mains are cheap and lame. I still don't understand how fanboys can defend a character that has its OWN TIER.

As for M2K specifically, I've seen some of your other matches. You play the same way in every video. Nobody, NOBODY plays as cheaply and abuses their character as badly as you do. There's noone even close, not even if you go back to Melee. I root against you every time because of the way you play. You're my least favorite anywhere you appear.

And you're welcome for the tax advice.

Black Marf

Smash Apprentice
And you're welcome for the tax advice.
Was the tax advice trying to buy the right to insult him?

I mean god**** dude, he's the single best MK at the moment. He's defined the character, and he's one of the people to beat to win any national. Thinking M2K is just some schmuck hiding behind a broken character is absolutely ridiculous, considering his prowess at both this game and melee.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hey, I'm fair. I think all MK mains are cheap and lame. I still don't understand how fanboys can defend a character that has its OWN TIER.

As for M2K specifically, I've seen some of your other matches. You play the same way in every video. Nobody, NOBODY plays as cheaply and abuses their character as badly as you do. There's noone even close, not even if you go back to Melee. I root against you every time because of the way you play. You're my least favorite anywhere you appear.
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

Have I made it clear enough?

Go whine somewhere else.

Edit:

Anyone who says M2K plays cheap and isn't skilled should read this thread:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199674

He led the charge to make Brawl more "fun" and got called a scrub for it. He tried to avoid Brawl being a campfest, but that's just what Brawl is.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
This too.

Smooth Criminal

Javon89

Smash Ace
Er...whats wrong with using MK?
I mean M2K plays to win and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to win using a character like Ganon.
If he plays to win and wins at least he deserves to not get **** from noobs.

If you want to hate M2K for using a broken character, go take it up with Sakurai, he's the one who made this game.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Er...whats wrong with using MK?
I mean M2K plays to win and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to win using a character like Ganon.
If he plays to win and wins at least he deserves to not get **** from noobs.

If you want to hate M2K for using a broken character, go take it up with Sakurai, he's the one who made this game.
Pretty much my point. If you can't win with anyone but MK, well...it's the character. Not you. I could understand if it was like Melee where there are four or five evenly matched top characters, but everyone agrees MK is in a class of his own brokenness. The only reason he's not banned is because so many people play him, and it would destroy the so-called metagame, which revolves entirely around how good x character is against MK.

But hey, if you're the kind of guy who needs a broken character to win, that's your business. Don't think people won't call you out for it, though.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Pretty much my point. If you can't win with anyone but MK, well...it's the character. Not you. I could understand if it was like Melee where there are four or five evenly matched top characters, but everyone agrees MK is in a class of his own brokenness. The only reason he's not banned is because so many people play him, and it would destroy the so-called metagame, which revolves entirely around how good x character is against MK.

But hey, if you're the kind of guy who needs a broken character to win, that's your business. Don't think people won't call you out for it, though.
You're obviously either completely oblivious or a troll. :laugh:

M2K still ***** Melee for the most part save for Mango and on one occasion Armada.

M2K used to win tournies with DDD before switching to MK because he himself has stated how boring DDD was to play, which I can understand.

You're an idiot if you think he fully relies on his character to win. Now tell me...are you indeed an idiot good sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom