• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MLG 2014 Feedback / Discussion

Stif

Smash Apprentice
Im a noob so don't take my opinion into account too much but I would say
1. Modern Stage list and Modified DSR (The one that doesn't let marth mains go to FD twice)
2. If you don't think there would be alot of areas/time/whatever for friendlies than I would like RR Pools if there is then Bracket Pools are fine. I would understand if it's justbracket pools though because this is a huge tournament (hopefully) and it's not the place where i would expect to get alot of games in.
3. Yes wobbling

Also HOLY **** SO MUCH HYPE

mudkyp

Smash Apprentice
Agreed with all Evo rules in regards to stages (5 starters + Pokemon), wobbling and bracket pools.

As a suggestion, would it be possible to have pool play round robin for top 8? Two pools of four all play each other and the top two each advance into a final four, and then they play each other. Best match record wins 1st? I think it's really crappy for a great player to get third or fourth place when they possibly could have beat the winner of the tournament. We started doing Pool Play in top 8 of national DDR competitions and it really helped us ascertain who was truly playing the best that day.

Just a mere suggestion. I love the current format as well.

For reference, here is a template rule set I copied from our tournament rule set and changed to reflect Melee.

Once 8 players remain, two pools will be created using win/loss record from previous round as seeding. In the case of any win/loss ties, the following tiers will be taken into consideration:
----Tier one: Games won during previous round minus Games lost during Round 1, highest score wins.
----Tier two: Pool games record
-The pools will be round robin, 3 out of 5
----Pool 1: 1 v 4 v 5 v 8
----Pool 2: 2 v 3 v 6 v 7
-The top 2 from each pool above will advance to the Final Four.

Final Four:
-The finals will be a round robin between the 4 players who advance from the previous round.
-Players will play according to a re-seeded match order determined by win/loss record from Round 2 (1v4, 2v3, 1v3, 2v4, 3v4, 1v2). In the case of any win/loss ties, the following tiers will be taken into consideration:
----Tier one: Games won during Round 2 minus Games lost during Round 2, highest score wins.
----Tier two: Games won during Round 1 minus Games lost during Round 1, highest score wins.
----Tier three: Pool games record.
Also have we discussed the affect on seeding? Higher seed chooses either port priority or they select who will strike first? Things like that I think should have more discussion in tournament play.

Also I definitely think 3 out of 5 should start at top 8! Especially at an MLG.

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
Modern stage list, yes to wobbling, and brackets/bracket pools.

Having Smash beside games like LoL, SC2, and CoD at something like MLG Anaheim would be the best possible scenario for the the community. Personally, I'd LIKE to see Project M over Melee, but I don't think it'll be as accessible to the greater player base. A year of competitive Melee in eSports will help the community grow phenomenally, I have no doubt, and bring back the passion and excitement that existed in between 2005 and 2008. If a year of competitive Melee in MLG goes well, and SSB4 isn't trash, it would be the perfect step up in the following year, and we might finally get to see a truly large, competitive, and mainstream community for a Nintendo game.

Oh and if we could bring back Wife as a commentator that'd be cool ;)

Mahie

Smash Lord
Bracket pools, as long as they are reset before the actual main bracket. (People who qualify from losers in pools don't start in losers in the main bracket)

Wobbling enabled.

This is so amazing.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Agreed with all Evo rules in regards to stages (5 starters + Pokemon), wobbling and bracket pools.

As a suggestion, would it be possible to have pool play round robin for top 8? Two pools of four all play each other and the top two each advance into a final four, and then they play each other. Best match record wins 1st? I think it's really crappy for a great player to get third or fourth place when they possibly could have beat the winner of the tournament. We started doing Pool Play in top 8 of national DDR competitions and it really helped us ascertain who was truly playing the best that day.

Just a mere suggestion. I love the current format as well.

For reference, here is a template rule set I copied from our tournament rule set and changed to reflect Melee.

Also have we discussed the affect on seeding? Higher seed chooses either port priority or they select who will strike first? Things like that I think should have more discussion in tournament play.

Also I definitely think 3 out of 5 should start at top 8! Especially at an MLG.

I think this takes away a lot from the excitement of bracket. While it may be more accurate, I don't think it's as hype.

Priority/Striking first is usually left to Rock Paper Scissors.

j00t

Smash Champion
This is ****ing amazing.

Apex stage list/rule set, and wobbling should be legal

caLviN-1260

Smash Apprentice
NNID
caLviN-1260
What I look forward to the most is the formerly passionate community being resurrected, and with the amount of people that attend MLG events like Anaheim, we will see a host of new people to the community as well. I went to MLG Anaheim last year and 22,000 people showed up over the course of the weekend. That's something the former Smash circuit never got to see, and its something that will give this community a boost like no other. The game has the game play and the hardcore fan base, it just needs a boost to help it hit the mainstream

Smasher89

Smash Lord
1:
Throwback, so it´s a real MLG tournament, if not its kinda hard to differentiate it between other major tournaments, and i bet alot of people would be interested to see how/if people will think outside the box rather then now standard same counterpick every tournament. I know i would watch the entire tournament rather then just the favorite players since i like to see how people think when they play the game and just not follow whats the current "common meta".

2: DE bracket, making every match count and will make the crowd know why it matters to win each game. Easiest to handle timevise, but it depends on the scale and how many setups theres in total, ideally pools before bracket.

3: Allowed

mudkyp

Smash Apprentice
I think this takes away a lot from the excitement of bracket. While it may be more accurate, I don't think it's as hype.

Priority/Striking first is usually left to Rock Paper Scissors.
I do agree with that first part. You can still have some hype as matches though! It's less as intense as bracket play, but having all of your favorites play each other for the money is a good trade-off.

Disagree about the Rock Paper Scissors thing. I think doing well in your "qualifying" rounds should give you some power. The purpose of seeding is to create and expectation function for a 32-man bracket. Seeding first might get you an easy path, but I think you're earned the right to decide who strikes first.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
1. Modern Stages with some DSR-esque rule. Doubles should have a slightly broader stage list. I am strongly against Yoshi's Story as a Doubles Neutral, and I think Kongo Jungle 64 is a good Doubles stage.
2. Pool structure really depends on the tournament size/time. MLG will know better than I would
3. No Wobbling, please. It's simply not fun to watch.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
and i bet alot of people would be interested to see how/if people will think outside the box rather then now standard same counterpick every tournament.
there wouldn't be any, though. see, there's a reason we don't have the same stages we did in 2007, and it ABSOLUTELY has to do with the characters that happened to go from mid-tier to shooting all the way up to top-tier since then

peach and jiggs camping is not fun, nor is ganon dropping by a thousand spots. not now, not ever

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I don't care much about the stagelist but I know most of the community likes the modern one so that's fine with me for what it's worth.
Please leave on whatever DSR modification there is about not being able to go back to a stage you won on though lol. That's pretty important outside of me getting hackeysacked twice in a set lol.

Pools? Whatever helps the tournament run best. I think most exposure for the players and bang for their buck would be nice(so round robin), but I understand time is a big problem with these events.

Wobbling I don't care. I think it's unbanned in the modern ruleset so that's fine with me lol.

This is an amazing opportunity and I am super glad I am here to see it! Best of luck to you Jake and I hope everything works out well between MLG and the Smash community =)

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
something that should be reminded regarding wobbling: we're probably not gonna see it. the only person who did it at a high enough level for it to matter ain't playing anymore, and the high-end ICs still kickin' around rarely used it to any real efficiency (iirc fly's always preferred his plain-old CGs to begin with, wobble-ban or no)

I'd allow it, because "well it's not entertaining" isn't really a legitimate excuse when there's a lot worse that can come out of this game, and again, only ONE DUDE ever got it working at a high level, which is miniscule in the grand top tiers of the world

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
This is an amazing opportunity and I am super glad I am here to see it! Best of luck to you Jake and I hope everything works out well between MLG and the Smash community =)
Did someone make a statue of you and put it as your avatar?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
  • Stage list (modern stage list, or thowback? Pokefloats?)
Modern, but legalize pokefloats
  • Tournament format (pools, bracket pools, straight bracket)
Bracket pools
  • Wobbling
Yes, as wobbles left :troll:

jtm94

Smash Lord
1. Modern stages
2. Pools is fine, whatever works though
3. Leave wobbling be, I think it gets hype for some reason.

I hope one day PM/SSB4 can be what Melee once was. I'd like to see if some type of PM setup could be figured out or if higher seeds/placement qualified the top players into a smaller PM tourney for some more hype matches. Regardless this is awesome.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
there wouldn't be any, though. see, there's a reason we don't have the same stages we did in 2007, and it ABSOLUTELY has to do with the characters that happened to go from mid-tier to shooting all the way up to top-tier since then

peach and jiggs camping is not fun, nor is ganon dropping by a thousand spots. not now, not ever
Let's not forget that mid level players have the tech skill of silent wolf in the old days. There won't be more counter pick strategy, there will be more of picking a stage to abuse it the way M2K uses FD.

Camsterchief

Smash Cadet
Hello all!

If you have not heard we have just started working on some exciting plans for 2014! Right now we don't have a lot of information to share, but we do want to hear your feedback! Please send me any questions, suggestions, or general feedback here so that we can make it the greatest year the community has ever seen! I will post in more detail for what we want to hear soon. For now, let's start with this.
  • Stage list (modern stage list, or thowback? Pokefloats?)
  • Tournament format (pools, bracket pools, straight bracket)
  • Wobbling

I will update this thread when I can. And I will post updates on twitter @SolidJakeGG
for the stage list I would like to see more of a variety. me and my friends play with the current tournament rules and i find myself wishing there were more stages to choose from. instead of current and throwback, why not both?(mexican crowd throws me up into the air cheering)

Tournament rules-idk the difference between those so i wont give any input until i educate myself for that.

Wobbling- oh boy is this a heated debate within the smash community? (new here!)
From what I saw at EVO, mango proved wobbling isnt that OP.

:) seeing progs tweet being RETWEETED by sundance gets me so ****ing hyped.

~GregDang!~

Smash Master
1. Modern Stage List
2. I have been playing fighting games for about mroe than a year and I wouldn't mind Bracket Pools, but I only agree with Bracket Pools if a Tournament knows it can't finish on time, but I think Smash could keep to its roots and try to do Round Robin Pools if there is time.
3. Wobbling is probably the touchiest debate that stills goes on in the Melee community. A side of me would want to keep because its your own fault for getting grabbed, but then again Climbers does have grab setups. I would be ok would Wobbling if it all came down to it though as Ice Climbers is not a character you can just pick up and start doing stuff with them.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Let's not forget that mid level players have the tech skill of silent wolf in the old days. There won't be more counter pick strategy, there will be more of picking a stage to abuse it the way M2K uses FD.
M2K on FD is probably the most extreme modern example s/o could give, definitely

I'm also thinking of a match in particular that was just a peach player hitting once and running away for ~8 minutes on KJ64, it was some painful stuff

there's better explanations of reasons stages are banned on the wiki, if any of y'all want to brush up

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
My thoughts:
1. Keep the current stage list, current rules. They don't need to be touched.
2. Either do a round robin or a bracket pool.
3. Wobbling isn't that OP. Yeah, there's set ups, but players that know how to deal with it can get around it pretty easily. Keep it, I guess.

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
:cool: Melee community rules.

1. Modern stage list
2. Round robin pools, go old-school
3. Wobbling legal

Don't let my opinions be influential, I'm just a random Smasher from the South.

Laijin

Smash Hero
1. Stage list. 2009-2010 era with Kongo Jungle 64, Brinstar and Stadium as counter picks. Those stages were removed because a bunch of fox mains in the backroom don't like them. If we're going to be on such a big stage, we should have these stages in there.
2. Bracket Pools DEFINITELY. Round Robin pools are too easy to collude and I hate to say it, but the smash community has a pretty big history of it.
3. Wobbling. ON. Definitely.

FourStar

Smash Ace
If there is an MLG Anaheim CAN WE PLEASE HAVE IT AT DISNEYLAND? Can you imagine how hype it would to play smash while mickey and goofy are cheering in the background? :D

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Wobbling should be allowed.
The main thing that should be changed from evo is to have best of five sets in the finals rather than the best of three sets that evo had. Not only is that regular for the smash scene, it would avoid the massive hbox salt that occurred when he didn't realize that evo was running a non-standard ruleset.

Top Bottom